Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

VectorSigma posted:

my 2nd pfizer shot is in 2 hours and i have vaccine impatiency

floffytoffy posted:

I'm taking the day after my shot off right now

My bones hurt
more goons riding that slut juice wave you love to see it :coronatoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

how cruel can you be goddamn

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Insanite posted:

https://www.thedriftmag.com/other-peoples-despair/

what if misery because of your status as an essential worker is more likely to cause suicide than being forced to binge netflix and get groceries delivered

sounds like these people needed therapy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

No, they really obviously made the wrong move and it's not even close, particularly given the extreme rarity of the side effects. COVID itself is something like 10x-50x more likely to trigger those clot issues. Millions less people in total will be vaccinated now, and tens of thousands more will die. J&J was the best (only, really) option for vulnerable populations in the US since it's already hard to get vulnerable people out for even a single shot, much less two times shots. Now opinion has turned against it after the combined media + social media fear machine took off. The government is too cheap to pay people to vaccinate and most people are badly spooked by exploding brain syndrome vs. "it's just the flu."

i would argue that this bolded part is happening primarily because people actually died from side effects not observed during the trial, not just because the government responded poorly to it. no matter how you respond to those deaths, it's going to take off in the media, and especially social media

i could be wrong, but i just can't shake the feeling that this was just a no-win situation we were put into by trying to get the vaccines out ASAP (a good decision imo) and got screwed over by chance, thanks to a side effect that squeaked by the trials by virtue of being incredibly rare

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tzen posted:

Ha what a bunch of pricks !

I know getting out of school for a snow day and building snowmen with my family was one of the simple pleasures growing up as a child.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Biden saying they still expect to get 70% vaccinated. Woof. We'll be lucky to make 55% now.

I like looking at the lamestream media NYT times site for vaccine rate just to watch the downward trend over the last few weeks.

But Sleepy Joe said it was just a supply problem?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Insanite posted:

what if misery because of your status as an essential worker is more likely to cause suicide than being forced to binge netflix and get groceries delivered

of course

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

cool, so the first half of the school year is pretty much guaranteed to be not fully vaccinated with no remote option and no mitigation measures
yeah it's going to be real loving dumb

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Beached Whale posted:

I got my 2nd Pfizer shot around 11am this morning, when do I start feelin' the effects cuz so far I've been navigating things fairly fine.
in about 12 hours you'll be feeling like your AV

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Tzen posted:

in about 12 hours you'll be feeling like your AV

Does weed cure this condition? I think I'm just gonna chief my way through this

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao not looking forward to this doubleheader

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is my new working from home setup?

What do you guys think?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
shot 2 is on saturday for me and I WANT IT NOW.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

after like 82 days without a death we now have 2 more deaths this week in our county plus 188% increase in positivity. oben

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rah! posted:

normal country

don't they have a lot of leeway to say "yeah you're committing a felony, your rear end is under arrest when we land"

don't let these assholes have any leeway, crack down on them fast and hard

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

A reminder that if you get on an airplane currently your risk assessment needs it include consideration that you are getting on an airplane with the kind of person who thinks it's a good idea to fly for vacation right now.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1389531505643466755?s=19

Insanite posted:

loving gently caress

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shipon posted:

don't they have a lot of leeway to say "yeah you're committing a felony, your rear end is under arrest when we land"

don't let these assholes have any leeway, crack down on them fast and hard

But then they might become flight hesitant, and what would that do to the economy?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

quote:

"What we have seen on our planes is flight attendants being physically assaulted, pushed, choked," Nelson said. "We have a passenger urinate. We had a passenger spit into the mouth of a child on board."
:chloe:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/RichBnsn/status/1389632305413689349?s=20

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

please remember we are the ones who need to see a psychiatrist and all us being cautious is accomplishing is making people like the ones in this article vaccine hesitant!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tzen posted:

Days off are for the rich

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

i would argue that this bolded part is happening primarily because people actually died from side effects not observed during the trial, not just because the government responded poorly to it. no matter how you respond to those deaths, it's going to take off in the media, and especially social media

i could be wrong, but i just can't shake the feeling that this was just a no-win situation we were put into by trying to get the vaccines out ASAP (a good decision imo) and got screwed over by chance, thanks to a side effect that squeaked by the trials by virtue of being incredibly rare

During the pause, daily vaccination rates for people under 65 for all lines immediately dropped like a rock. The government did a remarkably poor job at handling the PR side of the vaccination drive. A full week of news stories about the CDC pause became frantic social media terror. People who may have otherwise gotten vaccinated heard about scary side effects and that was that. Most people don't think a lot about this stuff, they make a decision and stick with it. They aren't reading news articles about variants every day and they certainly aren't reviewing clinical studies about vaccine efficacy. Hell, doctors in AFRICA were complaining that people were saying they didn't want to be vaccinated based on the CDC pause news.

Most people who haven't gotten vaccinated by now aren't going to give it a second thought unless there's a real incentive to get vaccinated. It's time to pay people. The information war has already been lost.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Looks like India is entering another level as hosed Chennai hospitals are starting to fill up.

https://twitter.com/shriiiitt/status/1389594812358090754

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
it’d be cool if we had a government who could actually do things and we just vaccinated everyone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

it’d be cool if we had a government who could actually do things and we just vaccinated everyone.

That what they did to wipe out polio so fast in the US after WWII.

People got jumped after church to take the vaccine and the military was involved in the vaccination roll-out effort.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

OK so what's the end game here? If we aren't going to pay people to take the vaccine and we aren't going to meaningfully force people to take it, then what happens? Do we just wait for some super mutant strain to tear through anyone not vaccinated until they're either dead or scared straight into taking it?

Followup question: how did the 1918 pandemic end without a vaccine? Did it just get bad enough it scythed through the population not willing to take precautions until it burned itself out?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Mr Hootington posted:

Months back the CDC changed the positive criteria make it so whatever needed to be detected to determine if you had covid had to be at higher levels. Since then the number of covid positives has gone down.

:)

Got a citation for this? This feels true but I don't have proof.
CA having low numbers doesn't feel right either so I wonder if that's due to this?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lacrosse posted:

OK so what's the end game here? If we aren't going to pay people to take the vaccine and we aren't going to meaningfully force people to take it, then what happens? Do we just wait for some super mutant strain to tear through anyone not vaccinated until they're either dead or scared straight into taking it?

Followup question: how did the 1918 pandemic end without a vaccine? Did it just get bad enough it scythed through the population not willing to take precautions until it burned itself out?

More people keep dying and it just becomes a "normal" part of life

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Demilich posted:

Got a citation for this? This feels true but I don't have proof.
CA having low numbers doesn't feel right either so I wonder if that's due to this?

it’s a lie, don’t worry about it

there was guidance released to ensure operators were calibrating their PCR machines correctly for the threshold of amplification necessary to generate a result that was accurate

a bunch of right wing, and then centrist, idiots read it conspiratorially and decided it was loving with testing metrics rather than just being a reminder to RTFM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

There was no vaccine and it ended up being a case of herd immunity but this was after it killed millions worldwide.

Due to getting all over creation we will never know the truth death toll from the 1918 pandemic.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

More people keep dying and it just becomes a "normal" part of life

FWIW we're almost here already. It seems like we're fine with 500-1,000 extra deaths per day. It's no longer even newsworthy unless a big surge hits. We've basically normalized a forever pandemic.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

didnt the 1918 pandemic basically just turn into the flu variants that we still deal with and still kill people

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Tzen posted:

loving gently caress

quote:

intensification of normality in all its cruelty

gently caress yeah

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

covid will just become the flu and we can all go back to living

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bullfrog posted:

didnt the 1918 pandemic basically just turn into the flu variants that we still deal with and still kill people

yes, it got less deadly after initially burning through the population

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I think it's more that the average American views eating out as essentially the standard family activity and couldn't afford to do it on a regular basis at places fancier than fast casual restaurants, especially if they're taking kids. Very few people are taking their family out to $80/person restaurants on a weekly basis, but lots of people do family nights at Applebee's or whatever.

in vast swaths of America, $80/person restaurants don't even exist. Olive Garden and Applebee's are the "fancy" restaurants in those areas. The cheaper options are the Chevron snack shack or McDonalds

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nonsense posted:

Hm but what if we could reverse the order?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Yes!

although, not all of us

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nonsense posted:

covid will just become the flu and we can all go back to dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

They're concerned about how awkward brunch feels when their waiter is wearing a mask and glaring at them.