Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I looked at sidesevenexports site and reviews and they mentioned it can take awhile for things to ship out so I went with the hangar bay instead, just one example I guess but it was shipped fairly promptly, think I ordered on 3/15 and it shipped 3/22 probably because of waiting for restock at Gundam Base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

wdarkk posted:

So, two semi-related questions.

If I want to flat-coat a gunpla, is it ok to do it after I assemble it?

Second, what is the exact term for those alligator clips on wooden stakes, and where can I buy them cheaply in bulk?

Blu tack and chopped up sprues as sticks. Not sure why people prefer clips tbh.

Easiest way is to assemble small sections, apply the finish, then fully assemble once it's cured. Trying to get an even coat on a fully assembled robot sounds like a hassle.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 4, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Azubah posted:

Yeah the dude is poo poo at communication, I had to bug him a few times for order updates. So far he's not worth the hassle of dealing with.

Unfortunately it seemed like the best place for an AU luddite to get the Mercurius/Vayeate. Guess I'll shoot him another email.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oh yeah Side Seven takes forever for anything. I've found Omocha Japan to be faster but oof the shipping cost sometimes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

sassassin posted:

Blu tack and chopped up sprues as sticks. Not sure why people prefer clips tbh.

Easiest way is to assemble small sections, apply the finish, then fully assemble once it's cured. Trying to get an even coat on a fully assembled robot sounds like a hassle.

Clips are way more secure than blue tack.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Sup thread, I just spent over 1k on a resin printer + supplies to make my dreams finally come true

vvv - absolutely. I have 0 reserves about this.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 4, 2021

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Null of Undefined posted:

Sup thread, I just spent over 1k on a resin printer + supplies to make my dreams finally come true

Worth EVERY PENNY.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HELL YES BROTHER

Add this to the OP.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's beautiful, I want one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Midjack posted:

HELL YES BROTHER

Add this to the OP.

That's not the Lumber Gundam. :colbert:

But it is still awesome, so added to the OP :v:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Oh HELL yes! Now do Tequila Gundam!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

D...Does it transform?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Suzaku posted:

Oh HELL yes! Now do Tequila Gundam!

yo to be clear I didn't design this conversion kit I bought a 3d printer so I could print it (and others). I thought the card in there would be clear about that but I just realized y'all have no reason of knowing that's not a name I use elsewhere, it's from this etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/listing/927307547/nether-gundam-stl-files-only-1144th

There's no tequila gundam conversion that I can find but you can print out a 1/35th scale bust https://www.etsy.com/listing/958392..._grid_organic=1

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Midjack posted:

HELL YES BROTHER

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
oh my god oh my god

How much does it cost to actually print the big beautiful Tequila Gundam

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Midjack posted:

HELL YES BROTHER

Add this to the OP.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

MJP posted:

oh my god oh my god

How much does it cost to actually print the big beautiful Tequila Gundam

I'll let you know the second I have it printed (printer gets here Saturday)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Resin and that sort of money the way to go? I've not logged into it much yet but I'm thinking of getting a printer partly for gunpla bits but no idea what to expect to spend for something suitable.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Resin and that sort of money the way to go? I've not logged into it much yet but I'm thinking of getting a printer partly for gunpla bits but no idea what to expect to spend for something suitable.

Elegoo makes great resin printers for around 300 that I feel like most people start out with. Basically you want anything with a 4k monochrome display (they use an lcd display to harden the resin into the right shape, not the display that like, you actually look at, that doesn’t matter) because it’ll give you a great print resolution, and monochrome displays last a lot longer.

As for resin over filament printing for this hobby, filament usually requires a ton of sanding and filling to get a smooth finish, and since so many gunpla parts are tiny they can be a real pain. Back when 3D printers were first buyable, I hated the way the finished products looked, so I waited. Resin can give you a near perfect finish that in some cases you might not need to sand at all.

I don’t recommend buying a super high end printer like me, it’s just that 3D printing is something I’ve been thinking about for like 10 years so I felt comfortable diving in head first.

For reference I got the Anycubic photon mono X, which is 650 on Amazon right now, and then also bought their little wash+cure station for 270, which is completely 100% unnecessary because you can clean and cure it in a bucket of alcohol and a handheld UV light, I just went all in because I wanna build a stand for it and I thought they’d look good next to each other (and maybe I wouldn’t just smell like alcohol all the time)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Elegoo makes great resin printers for around 300 that I feel like most people start out with. Basically you want anything with a 4k monochrome display (they use an lcd display to harden the resin into the right shape, not the display that like, you actually look at, that doesn’t matter) because it’ll give you a great print resolution, and monochrome displays last a lot longer.

This is the way I went. I got a Mars 2 and the Elegoo wash and cure machine and while it wasn't CHEAP, it also wasn't over 1k.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

BizarroAzrael posted:

Resin is the way to go, you can do it with an FDM printer but you will be doing a lot of filling, finishing and scribing work to get a piece looking good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

These came out of a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k printer, $400-ish with the water-washable resin.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

mllaneza posted:

These came out of a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k printer, $400-ish with the water-washable resin.

god those look so good. I can't wait for mine to get here.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

wdarkk posted:

After some more experimenting, it turns out that while brushing on the paint absolutely will not work, airbrushing it works fine :confused:

Did a test to see how it would look, seems pretty decent although not a 100% improvement:

Painted is on the top. Fit was a little tight but ok.

The metallic paint is probably still a little transparent, another coat of it and then black primer over the top should make it stand out a bit more.

Sort of like painting backwards, for stuff like chrome finishes you usually want a gloss black surface to paint it onto, you're just kind of using the reverse of that technique in this case.

Similarly I've been wondering if I could use Molotow liquid chrome or similar to improve the light piping on some MG kits.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
So, I’ve always loved Gundam, and loved Warhammer as an adult. So, I finally am jumping into Gunpla.

...I may have ordered four kits, and preordered two others, over the course of a 36 hour period.

Now I’m just waiting impatiently for GS-USA to ship everything out to me.

I may have a problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The plus side is that Gunpla is much more affordable than the equivalent plastic for Warhammer.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Tanon posted:

So, I’ve always loved Gundam, and loved Warhammer as an adult. So, I finally am jumping into Gunpla.

...I may have ordered four kits, and preordered two others, over the course of a 36 hour period.

I may have a problem.

welcome! Handy fact, unless it's p-bandai you'll probably always be able to get your hands on a kit for msrp so just take your time with buying stuff. A big collection of unbuilt boxes isn't as cool looking as a collection of built kits

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

welcome! Handy fact, unless it's p-bandai you'll probably always be able to get your hands on a kit for msrp so just take your time with buying stuff. A big collection of unbuilt boxes isn't as cool looking as a collection of built kits

This is true until you hit that critical threshold where your backlog becomes physically intimidating. Then it's cool again, and threatening.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Absolutely, I shouldn’t have gotten so many. It was just a rabbit hole. I first put in the Ez-8, because I absolutely love that design and 08th MS Team. Then I decided I wanted another, so I grabbed the Origin RX-78 because of course you do.

Then the next day I was looking through the different high grades they had and saw the Second L; which gave me all the nostalgia from back doing early 2000s PBP roleplaying on EzBoards. And then I also saw Wing Zero.

And then and then, I saw the preorders for the new Deathscythe kit, and my buddy is a huge fan of him. So I bought two so we can build them together.

Again, it’s a problem 🤣

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tanon posted:

Absolutely, I shouldn’t have gotten so many. It was just a rabbit hole. I first put in the Ez-8, because I absolutely love that design and 08th MS Team. Then I decided I wanted another, so I grabbed the Origin RX-78 because of course you do.

Then the next day I was looking through the different high grades they had and saw the Second L; which gave me all the nostalgia from back doing early 2000s PBP roleplaying on EzBoards. And then I also saw Wing Zero.

And then and then, I saw the preorders for the new Deathscythe kit, and my buddy is a huge fan of him. So I bought two so we can build them together.

Again, it’s a problem 🤣

Sounds like they're all high grades, which only take an evening or two, depending on how much you want to modify them.

Doesn't look like you grabbed any particularly old kits, either, so they should look fine even without painting.

It's a decent starting lineup, but it doesn't seem like enough of a backlog to be a problem. It's just enough to keep pleasantly busy for a little bit.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Having experience with both Warhammer and some of the more complex LEGO kits, I figured stepping into HGs wouldn’t be a big issue.

One thing I was looking for and didn’t find much information on is the Sword Calamity. Did it never get a kit? Being a variation, I would have bet on it being designed strictly for a model, and I haven’t found much information on it at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

The plus side is that Gunpla is much more affordable than the equivalent plastic for Warhammer.

The Shuffle Alliance Gundams still only being available only as 30 year old HGs is the Gunpla equivalent of Aspect Warriors still being resin.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tanon posted:

Having experience with both Warhammer and some of the more complex LEGO kits, I figured stepping into HGs wouldn’t be a big issue.

One thing I was looking for and didn’t find much information on is the Sword Calamity. Did it never get a kit? Being a variation, I would have bet on it being designed strictly for a model, and I haven’t found much information on it at all.

Nope. I have seen some resin conversion kits for it but other than that, nothing.;

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tanon posted:

I may have a problem.

That's happened to me too.

Today I managed to resist buying 4-5 more kits.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm trying to just keep it to P Bandai or other limited edition kits. It's too easy to get a massive backlog.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

This is true until you hit that critical threshold where your backlog becomes physically intimidating. Then it's cool again, and threatening.

My shame room demonstrates that this is not true.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I set up a little shelving thing just for my backlog, and if it fills up i make myself empty at least two shelves by building stuff before i buy any more(and theres 4 shelves total so thats half the backlog). its worked out pretty well so far, except that I keep preordering things and my brain doesn't count those against the shelfspace limit no matter how hard i try to make it do this.

though now that i've picked up an airbrush, and the paints i ordered finally got here today, i think i've got a bigger incentive to do customs and kitbashes so things might end up slowing down

like this megaman/roll kitbash that i'm gonna prime and paint (hopefully) this weekend

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1389587052610691075

want to do a glossy metallic/candy finish on the red bits and a more matte look for the darker 'bodysuit' parts, and i think it'll look really good. rebuilding the helmet interior to fit a different kit's face and have a hole for a ponytail in the back, was a mess though. just weird plaplate strip scaffolding in there all over the place.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks good and who cares how ugly the inside is anyway!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's payday tomorrow and a long overdue payoff of my credit balance.

I don't need a new toy, I don't need a new toy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Sea Lily posted:

I set up a little shelving thing just for my backlog, and if it fills up i make myself empty at least two shelves by building stuff before i buy any more(and theres 4 shelves total so thats half the backlog). its worked out pretty well so far, except that I keep preordering things and my brain doesn't count those against the shelfspace limit no matter how hard i try to make it do this.

though now that i've picked up an airbrush, and the paints i ordered finally got here today, i think i've got a bigger incentive to do customs and kitbashes so things might end up slowing down

like this megaman/roll kitbash that i'm gonna prime and paint (hopefully) this weekend

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1389587052610691075

want to do a glossy metallic/candy finish on the red bits and a more matte look for the darker 'bodysuit' parts, and i think it'll look really good. rebuilding the helmet interior to fit a different kit's face and have a hole for a ponytail in the back, was a mess though. just weird plaplate strip scaffolding in there all over the place.

Yeah once you start customizing that's when the backlog creep really sets in. When I was starting out I could get through multiple kits a week. Now I've been working on the MG RX-78-2 3.0 for... 6 months?