Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the Soviets wrung half the cost out of the t-34 in like 2 years, only they just did it to make more tanks faster and didn't simply pocket the difference lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

SpaceX was hosed from the jump because it turns out that the entire impetus for the space race was to develop bombs that could make it all the way to Russia/China and you can’t reuse bombs.

you just wait till musk's new company bombx starts promising reusable battery-electric bombs, which are so much more greenwashed than those legacy one-shot internal combustion bombs

(revenue source: selling carbomb credits to legacy bomb manufacturers)

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

SpaceX was hosed from the jump because it turns out that the entire impetus for the space race was to develop bombs that could make it all the way to Russia/China and you can’t reuse bombs.

they don't re-use the entire rocket though, just the part that gets it a good amount of the way up which you could theoretically apply to anything you need to make go up very fast (i think spacex has already approached the military of space based equipment delivery LOL) the thing about ICBM's tho is once you launch those then re-using the boosters is uh, not probably high on your list of concerns!!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Lady Militant posted:

they don't re-use the entire rocket though, just the part that gets it a good amount of the way up which you could theoretically apply to anything you need to make go up very fast (i think spacex has already approached the military of space based equipment delivery LOL) the thing about ICBM's tho is once you launch those then re-using the boosters is uh, not probably high on your list of concerns!!

If you don't mind inhaling toxic rocket fuel compounds, they'll make fine shelters in the coming nuclear winter.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

If you don't mind inhaling toxic rocket fuel compounds, they'll make fine shelters in the coming nuclear winter.

Love the fumes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lady Militant posted:

Not only did they pitch it, they got a contract signed lol

quote:

SpaceX and the Pentagon just signed a contract to jointly develop a new rocket that can launch into space and deliver up to 80 tons of cargo and weaponry anywhere in the world — in just one hour.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Smgdh can't even deliver a Daishi, it's like why the gently caress even bother?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Trabisnikof posted:

Not only did they pitch it, they got a contract signed lol

Considering how loud and bright returning rocket cores (or spaceplanes) are, it may be one of the least stealthy deployment options conceivable. These things shine like hell on IR and half the missile detection systems are already designed to look for exactly those signatures for ICBMs on launch. Not to mention the huge fireball from retro propulsion and the dual sonic booms.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

https://twitter.com/carlomarzetti/status/1389619393194348547

Tesla has only ever made a profit on carbon credits and their biggest buyer just announced they'll no longer be purchasing them

Based on prior history I imagine stock price will go up 40%

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Okan170 posted:

Considering how loud and bright returning rocket cores (or spaceplanes) are, it may be one of the least stealthy deployment options conceivable. These things shine like hell on IR and half the missile detection systems are already designed to look for exactly those signatures for ICBMs on launch. Not to mention the huge fireball from retro propulsion and the dual sonic booms.

Defense spending is about spreading money around, anything else doesn't matter. There's a reason the US military repeatedly got owned by goat herders.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lady Militant posted:

lmao, space-based equipment delivery???

I guess the really bad ideas keep coming back no matter how many times they reach someone with actual oversight powers and get shot down

that's some 1950s-vintage poo poo

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Main Paineframe posted:

Elon's so good at space-based exploded rocket part random delivery even the Chinese are copying him!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
showing drop pod animations from starcraft as proof of concept and the military just signs me a check for $Texas

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

MunchE posted:

https://twitter.com/carlomarzetti/status/1389619393194348547

Tesla has only ever made a profit on carbon credits and their biggest buyer just announced they'll no longer be purchasing them

Based on prior history I imagine stock price will go up 40%

I applaud Tesla for this pivot away from relying on carbon credits

Genius move by mr musk

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Main Paineframe posted:

I guess the really bad ideas keep coming back no matter how many times they reach someone with actual oversight powers and get shot down

that's some 1950s-vintage poo poo

the least they could do is revive project Pluto

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Egg Moron posted:

I applaud Tesla for this pivot away from relying on carbon credits

Genius move by mr musk

Why sell carbon credits when you can do bitcoins?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

FAUXTON posted:

lol "war is a bonfire, you don't need to make something that lasts a moment longer than the statistics give it in combat" isn't some MIC conspiracy, it's the fact that they were building those disposable hummers and charging 250k a piece

how is what you just said any different from what they said?

you are both saying they made poo poo load of money to make lovely humvees that need to be replaced often

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Karl Sharks posted:

how is what you just said any different from what they said?

you are both saying they made poo poo load of money to make lovely humvees that need to be replaced often

bullets need to be replaced often and nobody gives a poo poo

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Huh.

Maybe that’s why the Air Force made their own mini shuttle they don’t talk about.

the one that was just recently back from a year long trial in orbit doing who knows what?? yeah probably

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
I really hope this is a reliable and true article

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-ordered-provide-elon-musk-compensation-plan-documents-shareholder-lawsuit-2021-5

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mr. Sharps posted:

the one that was just recently back from a year long trial in orbit doing who knows what?? yeah probably

I had been assuming that they planned on slowly replacing spy satellites with those, since they can move around better than satellites and it’s easier to upgrade the hardware. But screwing around with foreign satellites is an interesting mission for them too.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Everyone talks about how awesome the Hubble is and how much it’s added to our knowledge about the universe. But it’s kinda crazy when you realize we have like 15 Hubbles- and all but one are pointed down at the earth.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Everyone talks about how awesome the Hubble is and how much it’s added to our knowledge about the universe. But it’s kinda crazy when you realize we have like 15 Hubbles- and all but one are pointed down at the earth.

it's even crazier when you realize people by and large only started giving a poo poo about this when some jackass tweeted out a picture from one lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

those other 15 are also probably a decade or more advanced than the one used for astronomy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Huh.

Maybe that’s why the Air Force made their own mini shuttle they don’t talk about.

:tinfoil: its what they use to carry the jewish space laser :tinfoil:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
STS had a lot of problems. The reusable spaceplane idea was a loser from the start, the AF requirements didn’t help, and Nixon’s budget cuts forced the engineering in ways that made construction cheaper, with a ruinous cost for maintenance and operations down the line.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

i think of this event

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_National_Reconnaissance_Office_space_telescope_donation_to_NASA

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

So has anyone related to SNL acknowledged that the show is being nakedly used to pump DOGE? I know the show itself sucks and everyone associated with it at this point is shameless as gently caress, but it would be cool if someone at least said "yeah, we know what's happening and we don't care."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

they don’t care, op

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

yeah but i want Lorne to say it

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

I'd love to work someplace like the NRO, drowning in so much cash you can build two space telescopes then decide you don't even need them and no-one bats an eyelid.

"umm NASA, do you want these or should we just go ahead and recycle them as beer cans"

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
lmao that in five years every current SNL writer will just get to say, “uh yeah the show was bad because of uhhh Lorne Michaels. Certainly had nothing at all to do with us being mediocre writers”

heck even Lorne Michaels currently abdicates responsibility for the show sucking. back when they were going to film several episodes back to back for covid reasons he released a presser stating “I dunno this could be a bad idea!” to cover his own rear end.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

Sort of, except instead of reflecting the light with a mirror the JSL is just a big compound lens that focuses sunlight onto the area to be scorched.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

So has anyone related to SNL acknowledged that the show is being nakedly used to pump DOGE? I know the show itself sucks and everyone associated with it at this point is shameless as gently caress, but it would be cool if someone at least said "yeah, we know what's happening and we don't care."

I wish I could find the review of the memoir of Colin Jost (head writer and extremely boring Weekend Update guy) because it went over how he seemed legitimately too dumb to understand companies that advertised on the channel were putting the kibosh on certain skits that mocked them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lorne would never let them do that to us!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Huh.

Was that the X-33? I think it had composite materials issues that they figured out later, but it was too much effort to resume research after it had been scrapped. My first project as a web developer for the State of Montana was setting up an info page on it, because it was supposed to bring economic development to the state by being tested at Malmstrom AFB.

Weird looking little thing.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Was that the X-33? I think it had composite materials issues that they figured out later, but it was too much effort to resume research after it had been scrapped. My first project as a web developer for the State of Montana was setting up an info page on it, because it was supposed to bring economic development to the state by being tested at Malmstrom AFB.

x-37b

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The X-37 is the one flying around right now, I think. At least the one they admit is flying around.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Spergin Morlock posted:

I kinda dig that idea.

I go get my son circumcised and the mohel says "Just take the kid outside with no pants on and hold him up Lion King style, hold very still and the space laser will take care of the rest"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Huh.

I think they basically admitted at some point that it was just to test advanced military space systems, materials, radars, antennas, trusters, cameras, etc before they actually developed actual satellites that used them, i.e. stuff they were almost certainly secretly doing from the Space Shuttle bay before the program was ended.

The secrecy made a lot of benign things look sinister, like the fact that the technicians that went up to it were in like major hazmat gear turned out to have a really benign explanation, that it's thrusters used hydrazine which is super, super, super toxic.