Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Euphoriaphone posted:

At the rate D&D is devolving, by Friday they'll be saying openly "brown people can't produce the vaccine to our white standards."

I cannot believe someone sincerely argued yesterday "we can't have universal healthcare because there are too many browns in america" and not only were they not banned, they didn't get any pushback from the thread regulars. That entire forum needs to be abolished.

They're libs, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Euphoriaphone posted:

At the rate D&D is devolving, by Friday they'll be saying openly "brown people can't produce the vaccine to our white standards."

I cannot believe someone sincerely argued yesterday "we can't have universal healthcare because there are too many browns in america" and not only were they not banned, they didn't get any pushback from the thread regulars. That entire forum needs to be abolished.

that's literally what they've been saying already, India, a world leader in medical production, can't make the GOOD vaccines because, uh, you know, those people's brain pans aren't fuckin shaped right or whatever

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Why would he? Biden said TO HIS FACE on a campaign video that m4a isn't happening, jack. Ady STILL supported Biden after that humiliation.

It really shouldn’t be surprising considering Ady snubbed Bernie and thought Warren was the fighter UHC needed lol.

Her waffling on M4A was the nail in the coffin for her presidential hopes.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Adding "living rent free in your head" to the list of stupid overused phrases

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i thought India was already making the vaccines, but due to capitalism, all their production was being shipped out of country

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh you know it

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

Someone ask them if they trust Cuba's vaccine and why.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

now thats Science™

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Someone ask them if they trust Cuba's vaccine and why.

I would have preferred to be given Cuba's or China's version if the vaccine than the Pfizer one I got

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I would have preferred to be given Cuba's or China's version if the vaccine than the Pfizer one I got

:same:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KomradeX posted:

the mrna ones are way more effective

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is that why it takea 2 of them and now Pfizer is saying actually you need a third.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

tbh i did think we were stupid for going all in on the unproven mRNA vaccines compared to China taking the tried and true approach but the gamble does seem to have paid off

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Even if it is a better vaccine, not being able to vaccinate anyone under 16/18 seems like a massive hole in the safety net.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Is that why it takea 2 of them and now Pfizer is saying actually you need a third.

sinovac is probably going to need a booster just because the pandemic is going to outlast how long antibodies stick around after getting a shot

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is it, because I have to get a third shot next year, and probably another one the year after and so on. Till a new round of COVID makes this obsolete anyway

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Adding "living rent free in your head" to the list of stupid overused phrases

Living rent free in your head

Nothingburger

Do better

X is everything

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Is it, because I have to get a third shot next year, and probably another one the year after and so on. Till a new round of COVID makes this obsolete anyway

you’re going to need a booster whenever active protection wears off from the next last while the pandemic is still raging. no one really knows how long any of the vaccine should provide active protection

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The idea that vaccines can even be patented in the first place is deeply, morally repugnant and anyone who disagrees would be more valuable to society if they were burned for energy, but,

Is anyone seriously suggesting that the reason why, say, Germany doesn't have as many mRNA vaccines as it would like is because of patents?

And if Germany's problems don't really have anything to do with know-how or patents, why do, say, India's?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Yes. Vaccines to end a pandemic only work by making enough people immune to a virus that it dies off before the populations protection wears off.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sedisp posted:

Yes. Vaccines to end a pandemic only work by making enough people immune to a virus that it dies off before the populations protection wears off.

america is incapable of achieving this so there's a very real chance that we'll have to take seasonal vaccines foreseeable future against prominent variants much like the flu, except way more contagious and deadly, lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbh i did think we were stupid for going all in on the unproven mRNA vaccines compared to China taking the tried and true approach but the gamble does seem to have paid off

it paid off spectacularly, considering that mRNA is being talked about for vaccines for poo poo like malaria and HIV/AIDS, both of which were fantasies up until last year

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

anyway have i mentioned recently about how the usa is the greatest country in the world

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

reminder again that we've had access to mrna tech for the past 10+ years but no one bothered to actually do it

I'm willing to bet we have fusion reactor designs that are similarly situated and capitalism is stopping us from The Good poo poo

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
just a few more crises and we will get the sim city 2000 uh, big... tower things. i don't remember.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sexpig by night posted:

lol of course the D&D covid thread hadn't even posted that, just literally arguing about Ethically Returning To Brunch

everyone who has proudly declared they are no longer paying attention 100% thinks of themselves as a high info voter

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

covid ain't going away. but at least the economy is still good. eat poo poo China this is what a superpower looks like.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Organ Fiend posted:

Living rent free in your head

Nothingburger

Do better

X is everything

That's it. That's the tweet.

Cope

ending very long and angry rants with "Have a wonderful day!"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

this doesn't solve racism

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

reminder again that we've had access to mrna tech for the past 10+ years but no one bothered to actually do it

Are there any articles or explainers on this? There's gotta be more to this story, because as we can see now mRNA vaccines have the potential to make pharma companies shitloads of cash. Was it just risk aversion?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

tbf if anyone spoke out against it they'd likely be probed for trying to "own your posting enemies" or whatever

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

I'm willing to bet we have fusion reactor designs that are similarly situated and capitalism is stopping us from The Good poo poo

investors, the only class that matters with these things, generally dislike any kind of change or progress ruining their bottom line

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1389507573292937216?s=20

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Real margins in pharma are in long term treatments of chronic conditions.

Again, in the middle of a global pandemic with a vaccine candidate in hand biontech received more money from the German government than from pfizer.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm sure this had nothing to do with it.

quote:

Newly filed disclosure forms from the first quarter of 2021 show that over 100 lobbyists have been mobilized to contact lawmakers and members of the Biden administration, urging them to oppose a proposed temporary waiver on intellectual property rights by the World Trade Organization that would allow generic vaccines to be produced globally.

Pharmaceutical lobbyists working against the proposal include Mike McKay, a key fundraiser for House Democrats, now working on retainer for Pfizer, as well as several former staff members to the U.S. Office of Trade Representative, which oversees negotiations with the WTO.

Several trade groups funded by pharmaceutical firms have also focused closely on defeating the generic proposal, new disclosures show. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Business Roundtable, and the International Intellectual Property Alliance, which all receive drug company money, have dispatched dozens of lobbyists to oppose the initiative.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1389586890689552389?s=20

what sort of weirdo enlists in the marines after graduating from Harvard

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

sounds bad but maybe the pro-waiver side should hire more lobbyists?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao that he's gonna tilt at this windmill again & it'll end up costing a house seat for the dems.

https://twitter.com/CharlieCrist/status/1389554818503614464

other dems have already announced they're running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1389586890689552389?s=20

what sort of weirdo enlists in the marines after graduating from Harvard

a dead eyed psycho