Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait there are bosses in Snap? How does that work? Is this secretly a Fatal Frame sequel too?

They're special Pokemon that you have to fulfil certain tasks to photograph properly.

Spoilers for the second one: For example, for the Milotic boss, you need to bonk it with apples to get it to surface, then bonk it with glow orbs to get it to display the phenomenon the professor is looking for. Others are a bit more involved, but that's the basic gist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Leraika posted:

They're special Pokemon that you have to fulfil certain tasks to photograph properly.

Spoilers for the second one: For example, for the Milotic boss, you need to bonk it with apples to get it to surface, then bonk it with glow orbs to get it to display the phenomenon the professor is looking for. Others are a bit more involved, but that's the basic gist.

Shout out to the fourth one I think: it requires tagging every Wishiwashi you see with the orbs, but the payoff is just this big fuckoff fish-shaped school of fish come at you. Only saw that one from someone else.

That said, (illumina spot spoilerino) the Steelix one looks demanding, how the gently caress would anyone snap a quality photo, let alone find the 4^?'

And finally, are there really (post game speculation) legendaries in the post game? I read somewhere dubious that Lugia of all things in this, but idk if it's like a max level area or something.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

widespread posted:

And finally, are there really (post game speculation) legendaries in the post game? I read somewhere dubious that Lugia of all things in this, but idk if it's like a max level area or something.

Yes. Xerneas is the final boss, and getting its picture with the illumina effect causes the credits to roll. Other legendaries show up in the game, but unlike Xerneas, none of them get any real remarks from the other characters.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

widespread posted:

Yeah, there are. I think Lugia appeared in one of the trailers. Spoilers for a different Pokemon in the spooky cloud forest area: Nothing like catching a glimpse of something green out of the corner of your eye and realising Celebi is in this game.

MorningMoon posted:

Game had to unlock the night reef for me after the end because I was beelining too hard.
I got it after the credits as well. I think it's supposed to be postgame. It was nice to see Lapras again.

As big as this game is, there don't seem to be many gen VIII Pokemon. I know there's the three starters, Applin, and Frosmoth, and I hear -Snom- is in as well, but are there any others? I've only searched the first two islands in detail so far.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Shwoo posted:

As big as this game is, there don't seem to be many gen VIII Pokemon. I know there's the three starters, Applin, and Frosmoth, and I hear -Snom- is in as well, but are there any others? I've only searched the first two islands in detail so far.

Eldegoss is the only other one I've seen.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The requirements to unlock Illumina spots are either really convoluted or really ridiculous. So far the levels I have unlocked are Jungle (D/N), Desert (D/N), Volcano (D), Beach (D), Reef (D), Underwater (D) and all of them except the third are level 2. I've found two alternate paths in the night version of the first area I mentioned, I thought the one behind the waterfall would unlock it but nope. I still only have the one Illumina spot from the first island and no idea how to get it for any other island, I've exhausted all my ideas on the second island and I'm starting to reach my limit of how many research points I can get in those levels, like maybe I have to max both of them to unlock the Illumina spot but that's going to be really difficult. Of course there's also the possibility I have to do some weird crazy poo poo unrelated to the research levels but...I have no idea what.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

The requirements to unlock Illumina spots are either really convoluted or really ridiculous. So far the levels I have unlocked are Jungle (D/N), Desert (D/N), Volcano (D), Beach (D), Reef (D), Underwater (D) and all of them except the third are level 2. I've found two alternate paths in the night version of the first area I mentioned, I thought the one behind the waterfall would unlock it but nope. I still only have the one Illumina spot from the first island and no idea how to get it for any other island, I've exhausted all my ideas on the second island and I'm starting to reach my limit of how many research points I can get in those levels, like maybe I have to max both of them to unlock the Illumina spot but that's going to be really difficult. Of course there's also the possibility I have to do some weird crazy poo poo unrelated to the research levels but...I have no idea what.

Well, you don't even have the right course unlocked for the illumina I got second. Here's some solutions:

Second island: You need the forest course. Idr how you get it but this was the one I got second so it can't be that complicated?
Desert/volcano island: Just play volcano at level 2
Water island: You need to unlock the branching path in the underwater stage. Hit the Clawitzer at the beginning with an illumina orb so it destroys the boulder.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Man I didn't even know there was a forest level. I just googled and apparently it's actually really easy to unlock, I just hadn't done it yet. I felt like I was doing something wrong since I had all these levels and no spot. It probably should've unlocked once you got the second island's levels to level 2 instead of a level on the third island (that I think you can't unlock until you take the branching path to the right of the oasis in the desert).

So far of all the levels I've actually seen, I think I like the jungle the best since it has a lot of Pokemon I really like.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:mad: :mad: :mad:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

widespread posted:

From the dex datamine the legendaries that are in the game are Manaphy, Shaymin, Xerneas, Mew, Suicune, Ho-oh, Lugia, Celebi, Jirachi, and Diancie.

For Gen 8 Pokemon there's the starters, Applin, Silicobra, Snom, and Frosmoth. Yeah...

Worth noting there's a bunch of empty spaces in the dex, possibly for future content.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The only future content I really care about is fixing pokemon's reaction time to apples. Pokeball Vivillion is almost impossible to get because it involves leading a pokemon more than two feet.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I found I take a ton of photos in video games lately including Breath of the Wild and Super Mario 3D World, and I probably enjoy that aspect the most. I never played a Pokemon game. Could Snap fufill that need?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Good Sphere posted:

I found I take a ton of photos in video games lately including Breath of the Wild and Super Mario 3D World, and I probably enjoy that aspect the most. I never played a Pokemon game. Could Snap fufill that need?

If you like taking photos in games and think Pokemon are cute/interesting, then yeah, I'd say this is a great game for you. It plays a bit like a rail shooter though, so the challenge comes from trying to take good shots while on the move, but it's fairly slow paced and relaxing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Going a bit insane trying to figure out what I'm missing since I don't have the sticker for finding all pokemon on Belusylva island. This is going to be a bit of an awkward ask, since I do have dozens of pokemon and am probably only missing one, but can anybody give me a hint? Ideally, which stage I should be looking on (and research level if it matters), and if it's really really well hidden a starting point for where to search

In the order listed in my Photodex (with line breaks in the same places), I have:

Ariados, Vivilln, Quagsire, Metapod, Deerling, Bulbasaur,
Espeon, Lotad, Shiftry, Leafeon, Slaking, Milotic,
Pancham, Kecleon, Serperior, Applin, Celebi, Trevenant,
Yanmega, Wooper, Sobble, Aipon, Magikarp, Ninetales,
Sawsbuck, Espurr, Unfezant, Drampa,Bewear, Bounsweet,
Ledian, Toucannon, Arbok, Pikipek, Swampert, Morelull,
Liepard, Venusaur, Beautifly

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Have you found all four seasons?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leraika posted:

Have you found all four seasons?

are

are they not random

e: I mean, I thought it was weird there wasn't a winter but I assumed that the foggy intro was winter or something. If it IS random I'm tremendously unlucky, I've done that course a ton of times. I also didn't see a spot for it on the map so I assumed I had found everything there. Welp.

ee: I think it is random after all (at least partially) and I was just wildly, tremendously unlucky

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 5, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Remember that floating rock on the first path? There's a way past it. Make some friends, listen to some tunes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leraika posted:

Remember that floating rock on the first path? There's a way past it. Make some friends, listen to some tunes.

I've actually done that before and it doesn't lead to (or at least doesn't guarantee) the thing. I got there by just holding the turbo button and hitting retry until I got it.

e: well, the obvious one there was not the only pokemon I was missing lol, but I have something new to explore on the island

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

ACTUAL NON-VAGUE MECHANICS SPOILERS:

from what I understand, you can guarantee it by opening up the side route via playing the pokeflute at trevenant and swapping to that route, then beaning Espeon with an orb as it runs out in front of you..

On that note, I still have no idea how to get to spring.

Edit: the other pokemon you're missing appears to be in the jungle at night

Leraika fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 5, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

That's so drat infuriating. I really, really wish they'd provide an option to edit the target pokemon for each photo during the selection phase. The game obviously tracks the presence of other pokemon in a photo, so it'd likely be a fairly trivial thing to code.

I know it's unlikely to happen though, because Nintendo. 🙁

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leraika posted:

Yikes, that's the one I've gone over the most thoroughly, I thought

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but I can’t tell, who’s that Pokémon in the right photo?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but I can’t tell, who’s that Pokémon in the right photo?

Tangrowth

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah I see it now, for some reason I thought the feet were eyes and it was some weird looking Drifloon or something like that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Leraika posted:

ACTUAL NON-VAGUE MECHANICS SPOILERS:

from what I understand, you can guarantee it by opening up the side route via playing the pokeflute at trevenant and swapping to that route, then beaning Espeon with an orb as it runs out in front of you..

On that note, I still have no idea how to get to spring.

Is spring the one with the bamboo?

If so, uh. Hm. I've only done Forest the one time so far. The thing that made that happen in my one time was I threw an apple at a thing marked ??? that looked like a dried up pepper hanging from a tree

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

spring's the one with cherry blossoms, I think; I've seen pictures but not managed to navigate to it

Non spoiler talk: When do you unlock turbo?

edit: okay, I've worked out how to get spring - bean the espeon with a light orb but DON'T activate the side path.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 5, 2021

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

You unlock it at the same time as the fifth island.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yikes, that's the one I've gone over the most thoroughly, I thought
It's not very intuitive. A hint: You don't see any sign of it before you trigger it, and it requires the using the melody.

Creepy cloud forest talk: I think if you don't trigger any particular season, it's random, but I've only got spring once so far. Maybe lighting the crystabloom on the way affects something? I've found that it's reliably winter winter when I hit it, unless I use the turbo, which reliably makes it autumn. But that just could be small sample size.

It seems like you can get summer by either lighting up Espeon on the default path, or not lighting up Espeon on the alternate path. Serebii.net says you can get autumn by hitting Espeon with an apple on the default path, but I haven't tried that yet.

Still looking for reliable spring.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Got the second Illumina spot, woohoo!

I also went back to some earlier levels for some more pictures, even got a few missions done. I'm an idiot who didn't realize Vespiquen was in the park at night until I watched Ina playing it earlier on her stream today. Managed to get its 2 and 4 star photos, though the Combee dancing mission I somehow failed to get despite taking a picture of it dancing with her.

3* Comfey was a fun picture to get, finished its page as well. I'm only missing a handful of photos in the park at day, so far Wurmple has confused me. I'm not sure how to get its 3 or 4* pics, I assume it has to do with the event where Taillow is attacking it near the end of the course but I haven't found out how to reliably get that to trigger. Having Dodrio wake up so it scares off the Taillow after the first Crystabloom seems to be necessary but past that I'm not sure what else is needed.

The forest level does seem like it's a pain in the rear end to visit all four areas. Even though I like it conceptually I have a feeling it'll probably be the most frustrating level to try and fill out the Dex for.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

And it was only recently I found the loving Metapods in the jungle. Ran a scan to see if any other pokemon were in the area and sure enough I saw the ! signs.

Now that I got the Melody Player, how niche is this thing? I'm absolutely gonna wake up Slaking and Quagsire but if that's about it then frick.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The melody player will also get certain Pokémon, like Charmander, to dance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I had to look this drat thing up, so here's a tip for the Lumina Orbs in the Water region; When you're exploring the underwater zone on Research Level 2, after the Wailmer plays his prank and you go down the hole look to your right for Lumina particles in a cavein the wall and toss some Fluffruit. Take a photo of what comes poking around, and that'll give you the Lumina Orb credit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So is the Glaceon in the tundra night secret area just glitched or something? When my cursor is over it, it doesn't highlight at all. Illumina orbs will make it move, and it becomes targetable normally after it leaves the area--but then the same issue happens again when it appears a second time later in the course.

This isn't the first time I've seen a pokemon where it feels like the ray tracing is just broken by an invisible wall or something, but it's the first time I feel like it's depriving me of a photodex entry.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I've decided to give a review of Pokemon Xenoverse, because I'm too incompetent, lazy, and untalented to do a Let's Play and gently caress it, why not, it's nice to talk about fangames that aren't terrible.

Pokemon Xenoverse: Per Aspera Ad Astra is the product of Team WEEDle, a collection of Italian fan devs using Pokemon Essentials to create their own fangame. You play a 16-year-old whose father went missing 11 years ago, with finding them as your goal, you've set off into the Eldiw region to see if you can find them, along the way you'll battle Daft Punk, a Cyborg who's clearly watched too much anime, a Princess, a Queen, a rapper with a surprisingly wholesome past, team up with the Ghost Busters, meet a mountain man, raid a temple, capture a slew of cool looking Fakemon, Occasionally time travel to the past, and continue to wonder why the hell they made a Sound type.

Let's talk about the Gameplay first. Xenoverse pretty much runs on the Gen 5 system. That means weather is permanent, Teleport doesn't do anything, there are not many abilities to find wild pokemon, and you'll want those abilities because they decided 1% encounters were a good idea in 2021. There's also a lack of really wonderful QoL features. There's no DexNav for hunting pokemon, there's no way to correct EV's or IV's if that's your focus, not that the game ever asks you to do so, it's quite good in that regard. On the whole, there's a feeling like... we never made it to Gen 6... and oddly, that's not as awkward as you'd think. While you will definitely miss those things Which there are mods for There's also the genuine feeling as if you uncovered Gen 5.5, almost as if you somehow stumbled into a game Gamefreak never released, one that developed in a different way from the mainline Pokemon Games in another universe.

The graphical style hits that feeling too, it's sprites, pushing a bit past Gen 5, and the Badges rotate in 3D when you receive them. The battles all look and feel like we're still in Generation 5, with moving sprites and that heavily pixilated feeling. While I certainly would want them to update for more modern conveniences (And perhaps they will, they have completed the game but are still updating it), if it remains as is, it's still good Pokemon. It's quite linear. You never really have major moments of being able to diverge from the beaten path, the game will usually lock you into completing the area's story before moving ahead, though it very VERY rarely ever locks beyond that.

It has some very interesting features. Your Starter Pokemon, for one, does not evolve the way you'd traditionally expect. Rather, at points in the story, you will gain items that, when held, evolve it to the equivalent of a Stage 2/Stage 3. It's rather interesting, and definitely carries with it more the tone of Digimon than Pokemon. Every Pokemon Center also has the NPC Memo, which will allow you, for free, to relearn moves on a Pokemon, this can make certain Item Evolution pokemon extremely powerful, as you can evolve them almost immediately and then give them a powerful Moveset while very early in levels.

Items are another important thing. Most pokemon hold items in the wild, often, if a Pokemon evolves with an item, they have a chance to be holding it when you capture them. Definitely Frisk and Compound Eyes hold more value. But, you do not need to use Thief to get the item. You always have a chance, upon defeating a Pokemon, for them to simply drop the item they were holding. This isn't guaranteed, so if you see something you definitely want, you should take the capture, but you can also accumulate quite the collection simply by battling. Early Sneasle can hold its evolution item, Quick Claw or Grip Claw. These can also generally be sold for money, and the game somewhat expects you to have a supplemental income.

Money can be very tight. You can always use Koinkoin and it's wonderful ability to double the prize money, all while spamming Payday and having it hold the Luck Incense. But then you have to use Koinkoin, and well...

It's a trade-off. But they also can be holding Pearls, Pearl Strings, and other currency items, as well as dropping a decent chunk of experience if you want to grind... not that you have to. Keeping to a team of around 12 Pokemon, only leveling on capturing new Pokemon and battling the trainers, I always kept around the level the game intended. You can easily wind up Overlevelled if you never change your lead too. but you can pretty easily keep within the curve until around the mid-to-late game. Where you can quickly get overpowered. It does tend to balance itself in the end, however.

The game can have some long expanses where you're without a Pokemon Center, but not to worry, because in almost every route and dungeon, especially if you're about to go into a battle, you can find the Porygon Center, it's even in one of the longer gyms.

They vary between being free and costing 500 to operate, but can be used to heal to full, access the box, basically they are in-the-field Pokemon Centers and the money cost for the few that had them never wound up being relevant for me. At worst you likely picked up some stardust or a nugget you didn't notice and can sell it. Especially because close by there always seems to be a merchant.

They tend to stock berries and other kinds of items and are worth hitting up when you find them in the area. There are a slew of other useful NPCs out in the wild, the Blue Hikers will take you back to the start of dungeons, giving you a quick way out, and, in general, there appears to be an appreciable amount of convenience.

The game has two difficulty modes, Classic and Modern. Old EXP gain or new EXP Share. I personally go with Modern, it's more fun, it saves time, it's easier to catch new team members up. I've never tried the game on Classic but I imagine it's just like playing a Gen 5 or earlier Pokemon game. Do note, Modern's EXP Share is on by default and from the moment the game is started, it cannot be changed 'off' This wasn't an issue for me, but it might be for you.

We should also talk about the X Pokemon, these "Xenoverse" Pokemon, are type-shifted existing Pokemon, like Ghost/Water Sharpedo up here. You encounter many in the main story, each Gym Leader tends to have one and they often serve as boss fights. They're a tonne of fun and usually have great designs, but there are a few problems. The first is not all bosses can be caught, and the game does not go out of its way to explain which can and cannot. The first three you run in to can be caught no problem, but two of the mid-game ones have story relevance and aren't capturable. The game could really stand to make clear which is which before you fight. There comes a moment later on where, after a string of uncatchable X pokemon, you run into one that seems to follow the theme, but totally can be fought. If you pick it up for yourself and are curious, it's the one during the events after the 6th Gym.

That said there are no permanent missable X Pokemon, you can catch them in specific dimension fissure zones in the wild... the only issue is that most of them have an encounter rate ranging from 1-5%, later, you go to an area with nothing but Xenoverse pokemon, many of whom are in the wild and can be caught and encountered at a decent rate, but that area is not permanent, and while you can't lose out by leaving it, you will essentially be forced to hunt 1% encounters. Very unfun. It's a simple enough value to modify in the game's files, but you shouldn't have to do so.

Let's talk about the story. For the most part, it's a standard Pokemon affair in tone. You're a teenager, the world is full of wonder and mystery and joy. The villains are appropriately goofy, no one is getting beheaded or thrown in lava or exploded in a train or sacrificed to a cult. Even the goons of the enemy team are robots. That said, the game does have some very clear inspirations, I mentioned the starter feeling more like a Digimon at points, and tone wise, that fits the story. It's as if Digimon, Pokemon Adventures and a few other elements got mixed in. Not in a bad way at all, it still feels in tone with Pokemon, there are a few moments though, where it gets silly. Such as when you are confronted with the evil you of another universe and are told to embrace the power of hatred. It's literally dealing with your Shadow in a Persona game but it comes across as goofy and zany when so much is on tone.

There's also an odd feeling to the setting, as mentioned, you fight both a Princess and a Queen of two separate 'Cities' which really should feel closer to Kingdoms. There's two tribes of natives, one closer to Native Americans and the other South Americans that seem to coexist with what is otherwise a modern Pokemon story. Not that there's anything wrong with these tribes, I quite enjoy the characters introduced there, and they're clearly done without malice. But it feels at times like they planned the setting as almost a fantasy one, then pivoted hard into "Like 15-20 years post the current mainline games." The region has no Elite 4, they are instead the Cardinals and seem to fulfill a spiritual role in the Eldiw region as its protectors. It's not that these changes are unwelcome, just again, it feels so juxtaposed with the Gym System.

This leads into one of my major critiques with the story, the lack of tying in its storylines into a cohesive whole. At the start of the game, we set out in search of our father, and yet, we often find ourselves doing the Gym Challenge for no other reason than, "That's what you do in Pokemon Games." It's not that the gyms are unfun (although some of these puzzles can go take a flying leap) or lack flavour. It's that doing them often feels at odds with searching for our father, and it didn't really have to. There's a very fantasy undercurrent to the stories, very early on you are discovered to be able to evolve your Starter Pokemon using the plot items, you are deemed a potential "Chosen One" by the Cardinals. It's not as if destiny has come calling, but you feel yourself being built up for more. There's not even a Pokemon League in the game that ostensibly makes collecting 8 Badges a thing you do for your conclusion. The conclusion that exists has nothing to do with the gym system.

It's odd, because the characters involved as the Gym Leaders often have very good representative purpose to serve other roles in the story. The first Gym Leader, Basil, is a sage of some kind, who can commune with the forest. It would be easy to present him as someone we have to find while seeking out the answers behind our father's disappearance, however... We just get asked to go fight him by a recurring character who thinks it'll help us get stronger. There's this real sense that with a little effort, these two plotlines could be brought together into a cohesive whole and become greater than the sum of its parts. But that the devs feel they have to hit certain Pokemon plot elements or not be a Pokemon game.

Outside of this complaint, the story can get a bit hokey, our Cyborg main rival being the key centerpoint of feeling as if he's trying too hard to be a Sasuke-analog. He could certainly be far worse, but it does tend to strike an odd tone for a Pokemon game.

That said, Gengar X is such a loveable villain, and his presence is such a welcome addition to the game that any bad points Cyborg Boy brings are completely undone by this amazingly charming and fun presence. Running into him made me convinced I needed one of my own, even if I had to wait till the 7th gym to get him.

Other minor quibbles is they have this Pokemon Den system, your starter goes inside and runs through a small dungeon where they can find TM's and other goodies. Sounds great, however often the dungeon is a Trial and Error nonsense where you just repeatedly fail until you finally find the critical path. A good idea with bad execution.

Also, the Sound typing. Sound is strong against Water, Flying and Fairy, and weak to Dragon and Electric. It's... such a weird typing, but the main issue with Sound is that it's essentially, all of what Special Normal was. So for example, Pixilate Sylveon really only has Hyper Beam as an option, because Hyper Voice and Boomburst are both Sound moves. I always dislike fan types and my issue with Sound is encapsulated entirely. The changes are odd, and it neuters Normal and the '-ate' skills.

One thing I haven't touched on is the music, it's loving killer, they clearly went god damned hard to make memorable tunes, standouts for me are the X Pokemon boss theme, the Gym Leader theme, the Team Dimension music. I've linked the Team Dimension theme, the A & B theme, the X Boss theme, The Rival Theme, and the Gym Leader theme.

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCCDnPEqH39g
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmF76_ylcB0k
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGUyrLmPOwkA
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDRZh56kLaRA
https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWSs7hB6kphA

In the end, Pokemon Xenoverse game me something I want out of every Fan Game I play, a feeling of professionalism that feels like, in a world, Game Freak could have made it. It doesn't try to shove in the entire dex or every mechanic, and while some of the missing ones are certainly being felt, it never feels like the game is fighting against you. It doesn't pull Reborns thing of being miserable and stupidly overturned for difficulty. It doesn't bring in cults and human sacrifice and pokemon trying to murder humans, it doesn't think it's "oh so smart" and that they can do better than professional developers. It's just a complete experience that feels like Pokemon should, with some Digimon thrown in.

All else fails, it has Sosqwatch

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 5, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Has the game been updated in the last few months? Because when I played there were some permanently missable X-Pokemon. And they were in an utterly poo poo area with no pokestops or shops or ability to backtrack so catching pokes was the last thing on my mind. This is probably my 2nd favorite fangame outside of Insurgence beyond that.

Also I bought New Pokemon Snap. I've now that I've unlocked all the maps and whatnot (I think)and I'm now sad because I have 120 requests and I've finished 12 of them. It's supposed to be a chill game but I feel like a drat failure. And it's a game where I don't want to look up the answers because I feel like it kills the point. Unless there are requests that unlock gameplay features. Are there any?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ChrisBTY posted:

Has the game been updated in the last few months? Because when I played there were some permanently missable X-Pokemon. And they were in an utterly poo poo area with no pokestops or shops or ability to backtrack so catching pokes was the last thing on my mind. This is probably my 2nd favorite fangame outside of Insurgence beyond that.
Here's a list of all the available Xeno pokemon and where to find them.

Elekid X - An area you can surf to, the Event one, In the Xenoverse, and a Shiny one after you complete your Xenodex
Spiritomb X - A 1% encounter on a route, The Xenoverse
Carvanah X - The wrecked ship in the room you fight Sharpedo X Around 5% encounter rate
Sharpedo X - Only the event one.
Pyukumuku X - Can be found at a surf location at like 1%, and in the Xenoverse.
Pikachu X - It's an event, you just get it.
Joltik X - Can be found during the Galvantula X event, and can also be found in an area you can surf too. Like 1% encounter rate again
Galvantula X - Event only
Smeargle X - Can be found in a Cave after you get surf at 1%
Gastly X - Can be found once you get surf by surfing across the lake inside the path to the dragon town. It's a 4% encounter rate.
Yamask X - The area just before the 4th gym town, it's a 1% encounter.
Ponyta X - You get an event one, but also the area before that with the Toy Story homage, once you get surf, has a 1% encounter rate.
Cacnea X - In the Xenoverse, also once you get cut, in the basement of the Saloon at 1%
Swirlx X - In the sewer in Vega City, 1 or 4%
Budew X - Route 10 Xeno area.
Roselia X - The Xenoverse, and I think Route 11 might also have it in its Xeno area.
Roserade X - Only the boss battle one.
Mareanie X - It's Post-game only, sadly.
Mewtwo X - Post-game only.

There are no other available Xenomon, though there are some in the game that haven't been released.

You don't need to be in the end-game area for any of them, but they appear much more frequently there. That said, there's been no update to let you back into that location. There is a mod for that, the unavailable X mons, the post-game starters, Sabolt And a Nature/IV/Ability fixer and a bunch of other stuff.

So... no it hasn't but also, none of those were missable in the first place, except the boss ones you can kill and not catch but excluding the Post-game legendary they can all have a form of their evolution caught.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I finished a course through the Park, and I would up 160 points shy of Research Level 3.

Mirror, why've you gotta do me like this? :argh:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Strange, when I played through the discord was still collectively galled that Smeargle, Pyukumuku and I think Swirlix were only available in the Xenoverse..

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Strange, when I played through the discord was still collectively galled that Smeargle, Pyukumuku and I think Swirlix were only available in the Xenoverse..

The last of which isn't in that area at all but yeah I can definitely see the first two, as the areas they are in aren't exactly where you'd naturally go to look at them. The first is found just before gravity tunnel, Just after Milkiway City.

You surf across here and it takes you to the shown cave, where the only encounters are The regular version and the X version at low rarity.

The second one it's actually on the surfing Route 11 on the way to Victory Road. You might notice the foggy effect in the area but, because it's quite large not find the patch of grass.

I definitely have misgivings about the encounter rates (I generally do not agree with any 1% rathers in a game where you don't have abilities to force them to be better.) But, I do have an option for anyone wanting to go through the game and not deal with this nonsense.

In your Xenoverse folder (Where the actual game files are) in Data/Scripts, you can find 087_PField_Encounters.rb

This has EnctypeChances, then a list of numbers for each 'Encounter type'

quote:

EnctypeChances=[
[20,20,10,10,10,10,20,20,20,20,20,20],
[60,30,20,20,20],
[60,30,20,20,20],
[70,30],
[60,20,20],
[40,40,15,20,20],
[30,25,20,10,20,20,20,20],
[30,25,20,10,20,20,20,20],
[20,20,10,10,10,10,20,20,20,20,20,20]

I got sick of hunting rare encounters, so I set all the sub-10 ones to 20. You can set it to 5 or 10 or whatever you feel like. I can also just upload my own file if anyone wants it, I use a few mods for convenience sake (Once I edited some of the dialog to be more in-lore and not 'INJECT CHAD'S RISE UP' for the IV fixer...)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

This actually looks pretty cool. How well typeshifted are the xenoverse mons? Has care been put into their stats and movepool, or is it more like the insurgence deltamon where their movepool is more like their original and not really suited to their new stats/typing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If I were to play both Y and Alpha Sapphire back-to-back, which order would be best? Y first? I can still transfer Pokemon between those games, yeah?