Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Raine posted:

the best way to drive, which coincidentally is also the best way to make it through life, is to assume everyone is a dumbass and will do the worst thing possible

My dad taught me this, but also the exception: if you're riding a motorbike, assume everyone else on the road is actively trying to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
(Press play then scroll down)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUMq6imrMmI

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1389667772544651265

T-Paine posted:

Being a Floridian, every time I get in the car I tell myself it's a distinct possibility I may not make it home

Those are just escape fantasies (from Florida) and that's perfectly common and normal (for Florida).

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

ubachung posted:

My dad taught me this, but also the exception: if you're riding a motorbike, assume everyone is actively trying to kill you.

everything is trying to kill you if you ride a motorbike

i drove a guy to the hospital in an ambulance after his bike ran over a small hand towel on the freeway, it got swept up and locked in the wheels, and he flipped going like 70mph (he got hosed up but lived)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

T-Paine posted:

Being a Floridian, every time I get in the car I tell myself it's a distinct possibility I may not make it home

this is actually the safest way to drive, you are surrounded by death machines operated by psychotic apes with dementia

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

He said he couldn’t legally tell me anything else about her condition, and I wasn’t sure I could handle knowing. I couldn’t stop thinking about her. I imagined that she was paralyzed or had serious brain damage. Flashes of a ruined life flickered in my mind, and I became consumed by a sense of guilt that my friends and family struggled to understand, and that I couldn’t explain.

Only after two years and another crash did I finally resolve to learn what had happened to the woman. One day in 2018, I found her name and an address on the police report. Leaning on a cane, I limped down the driveway and knocked on the door.
ahahaha he got into another accident less than two years after nearly killing a woman

you should have your license just suspended after you get into an accident that injures a person, period

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shipon posted:

ahahaha he got into another accident less than two years after nearly killing a woman

you should have your license just suspended after you get into an accident that injures a person, period

calling them accidents is superb social engineering

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

calling them accidents is superb social engineering

unless he intentionally ran her over it is an accident, a near-fatal one caused by carelessness but still an accident

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shipon posted:

in all fairness, in the first case there was literally a person standing on a freeway. at night.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Car involved squishing

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

in all fairness, in the first case there was literally a person standing on a freeway. at night.

The person belongs in the street, not the car

Freeways were a mistake

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

In all fairness we'll all be dead because cars in some way or another.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
it's tragic that we built a society that revolves around cars because we evolved to walk everywhere and we're literally apex endurance predators

now people just sit all day and eat and drive and sometimes eat while driving

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
robert moses is the greatest war criminal the world has ever known

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Homocow posted:

it's tragic that we built a society that revolves around cars because we evolved to walk everywhere and we're literally apex endurance predators

now people just sit all day and eat and drive and sometimes eat while driving

we don't have to even go back to some pre-historic ideal. we had the electric street car. that's it, that's all we needed. street car suburbs work great and you usually got a bonus vacation park at the end of the line!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you people need to stop getting all worked up over a couple vehicular oopsies

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Trabisnikof posted:

we don't have to even go back to some pre-historic ideal. we had the electric street car. that's it, that's all we needed. street car suburbs work great and you usually got a bonus vacation park at the end of the line!

"You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like."

edit, appropriate music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cq46LxsNY8&t=66s

Portland, 1943

Atlanta, 1940
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/xI1HF2P.png][/timg]

San Diego, 1918

Twin Cities, 1913

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 02:19 on May 5, 2021

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Oopsie deathie doodles

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
a streecar named death

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

cartastrophe

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i went back to check on a tree that i'd planted and it now has a resident skink

look at this little trooper :3:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wrong thread

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 03:01 on May 5, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mawarannahr posted:

if you already had the sinovac, would you want to get an mRNA vaccine, if you had the opportunity? what would the effects be?

Other than waiting 2-6 weeks between vaccines, I don't think you'll suffer effects any different than those you'd suffer if it was your first shot.

EDIT: Leaving the reply up but not expanding on it.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Accretionist posted:

"You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like."

edit, appropriate music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cq46LxsNY8&t=66s

Portland, 1943

Atlanta, 1940
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/xI1HF2P.png][/timg]

San Diego, 1918

Twin Cities, 1913

Every single one of those maps rules

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i love to help a skink, and other small short-lived creatures, because i know that unlike me they won't have to live to see the full climate apocalypse. they can enjoy a full life in the shade of my manna gum and then sacrifice themselves to feed a noble bird, none the wiser as to what the gently caress is going on with the atmosphere

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

perepelki posted:

:unsmith:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shipon posted:

unless he intentionally ran her over it is an accident, a near-fatal one caused by carelessness but still an accident

then its also an accident that some smokers get cancer and that some oil will contribute to climate change

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the industry and the planners created yearly mass death by no accident is my point. branding fatalities as accidents is part of their ducking a century of responsibility for deathdealing

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/amywestervelt/status/1389766128243658752?s=19

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tony Tone posted:

How would you even know this

I dont remember what life was like in 2007, for example. I was 18 years old and I dont remember poo poo of the "state of society" compared to today. There is no quantifiable way to really realize your quality of life has degraded beyond basic bullshit like peasant -> middle class poo poo or whatever if the timescale is long enough, or if it the change isn't overnight. If you stretch the degradation across years nobody will notice as long as Netflix and Tiktok still works on your TV and phone.

Hmm.. no? When you used to eat three meals a day and you're suddenly wondering when you can eat again you'll notice that. But even less extreme you'll notice. I definitely know the difference between what life felt like at 18 and today, more than a decade later, both in terms of climate/weather and socioeconomically. But even for those who don't, we're talking about a degree sufficiently extreme (for this prediction) that anyone would notice.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

perepelki posted:

Are your various birb avatars your own work, btw?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

Are your various birb avatars your own work, btw?
they are! i try to celebrate them while they're still around :smith:

they'll outlast humanity

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

perepelki posted:

they are! i try to celebrate them while they're still around :smith:

they'll outlast humanity

Rad! The fat quail (?) were excellent. I like to think they enjoy their brief lives.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I hate the subway. it’s never on time, constant delays while riding, poorly maintained. I don’t mind the crowdedness, generally (it’s public transit, fine), but I also know the crowdedness is more an effect of the poor train dispatching and delays

I bought a car last year to avoid the subway for obvious reasons. I didn’t interface with the MTA for ~14 months. drove in Manhattan about once a week.

let me tell you, I loving hate driving. already been sideswiped by a giant truck (thankfully slowly, since it was 4pm on a Friday). can’t do anything but stare ahead and avoid other giant metal boxes

I rode the subway last week, and while the whole covid thing makes me very uncomfortable, gently caress it was great and MILES better than driving

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

Rad! The fat quail (?) were excellent. I like to think they enjoy their brief lives.
:3: thank you! i love my quail deeply, and they reward me by breaking my heart approximately once per month. they've helped form my philosophy on ecological conservation; nothing i can do can make them live longer or remove all the constant threats to their existence, but i can give them happy days for the short time that we're together. when they're taken by predators, i just think of it as an integrated ecosystem (of which they and i are both part) working as intended. and until that sad day - which doesn't always come; a few have succeeded in dying of old age - i think they do enjoy life.

i'm going back to university next year to become a conservation biologist, and will hopefully get to experience native australian quail. they're a very important keystone species and one of the few that can survive in post-apocalyptic agricultural landscapes. plus, being australian, they are tolerant of extended dry conditions. will they save humanity? no, but maybe a healthy wild quail population will be the difference between survival and extinction for some other species once desertification of the inland really sets in

perepelki has issued a correction as of 13:58 on May 5, 2021

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Tony Tone posted:

How would you even know this

I dont remember what life was like in 2007, for example. I was 18 years old and I dont remember poo poo of the "state of society" compared to today. There is no quantifiable way to really realize your quality of life has degraded beyond basic bullshit like peasant -> middle class poo poo or whatever if the timescale is long enough, or if it the change isn't overnight. If you stretch the degradation across years nobody will notice as long as Netflix and Tiktok still works on your TV and phone.

Not sure I agree here. If you start thinking about things you used to do, or ways you used to do things, but now either don't or can't, or things you now do, and have to or must, when you didn't before, it's actually pretty easy. For example, as a child, the computer was something odd my dad would bring home from work sometimes. When I went to college, not everyone had one. Now, I own about seven laptops of various ages, two desktops, multiple tablets and phones... and I am the opposite of a rich person, by US standards.

You're correct that media consumption can help forestall reminiscing, but even watching older shows like Friends or Seinfeld, the lack of computers and portable phones everywhere is glaringly obvious.

And when they do show computers or the internet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGb7sC4mpk0

quote:

Just for the kids, this translates to: 0.012GB of memory, 0.5GB hard drive space, and 0.0288 MB/second modem speed (over a landline telephone cord).

Or, just looking at the office culture displayed in episodes like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sCJMjuEkpw

George is just... hired... because the boss likes him. Sure, they're playing it up a bit for effect, but he's just working there now. Work that consists of being left alone in his private office all day. No computer. Just a folder of papers.

This is, of course, just one example

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If you start thinking about things you used to do, or ways you used to do things, but now either don't or can't, or things you now do, and have to or must, when you didn't before, it's actually pretty easy.

I think I had a stroke while reading this sentence.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I rode the subway last week, and while the whole covid thing makes me very uncomfortable, gently caress it was great and MILES better than driving

Not really.

Generally the more invested you are in your car, the more anxious and afraid you are of driving. I drive a shitbox 1999 Mazda Lantis and I couldnt give less of a gently caress while driving. Truck scratching the side of my car? Dont care. Some dumbfuck bumping me while parking? Dont care.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Tony Tone posted:

Not really.

Generally the more invested you are in your car, the more anxious and afraid you are of driving. I drive a shitbox 1999 Mazda Lantis and I couldnt give less of a gently caress while driving. Truck scratching the side of my car? Dont care. Some dumbfuck bumping me while parking? Dont care.

Tony, Tony, Tony... What thread do you think you're in?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I hope I never have to operate a hurdling ton of metal for any reason ever again I'll just walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Do you have more quail pics, or do you post them in other threads? They’re great!