Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I bet if you did some calculus you could prove the peak in vaccinations is because the blue line crossed the orange line and this just happened to be the day J&J was paused

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BOOMER REMOVER :bgc:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

joe biden being owned by J&J is the greatest

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

BOOMER REMOVER :bgc:

Local World nation discovers one weird trick to reduce retirement payments, boomers hate it!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Somebody who posts in gbs should tell the funeral director lady to come post in CSPAM

Fluffy Bunnies has a taserballs tag I'm sure she's aware of this thread's existenc elol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
*andrew cuomo voice* we're gonna... help out balancing .. social security... okay???

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1389709724715737091

Six people are dead, reads the article decorated with a cartoonish bush wearing an oversized mask. Six people died today in my state amidst a global pandemic. Doctor Bush should replace corona Chan. remember corona Chan?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MadJackal posted:

Pretty much.

It's bound to mutate and moderate eventually. Probably sooner than any plague ever.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1389740176059117572

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mother died today, or yesterday. I was enjoying unlimited apps at Applebee's.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

how far can low energy Fauci shift the "success story" goalposts?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

fauccis right. but also I now see he is wrong.

Ringo Roadagain has issued a correction as of 03:25 on May 5, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
releasing a modified coronavirus in an attempt to kill off social security is not what I was expecting but I can respect the hustle.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fischtick posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1389709724715737091

Six people are dead, reads the article decorated with a cartoonish bush wearing an oversized mask. Six people died today in my state amidst a global pandemic. Doctor Bush should replace corona Chan. remember corona Chan?

I just looked at WA and we had 8 today and based on previous days reporting, it doesn't seem like these are happening in King County.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Counterpoint: I am a herd of one and I am invincible. Unlimited apps are my right as American citizen. This is self-defense. :blastu:

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

etalian posted:

how far can low energy Fauci shift the "success story" goalposts?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nonsense posted:

It's bound to mutate and moderate eventually. Probably sooner than any plague ever.

Nah, it can spread perfectly just fine with a extremely long window of infectious period. It could get less deadly or more deadly without harming its potential for spread.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Nah, it can spread perfectly just fine with a extremely long window of infectious period. It could get less deadly or more deadly without harming its potential for spread.

Freedom is within reach!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
horseflu theory

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Rah! posted:

normal country

these people went through withdrawal from not being able to be complete assholes and now they're on a bender

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Hesiod posted:

PANDORA AND THE JAR
[42] For the gods keep hidden from men the means of life. Else you would easily do work enough in a day to supply you for a full year even without working; soon would you put away your rudder over the smoke, and the fields worked by ox and sturdy mule would run to waste. But Zeus in the anger of his heart hid it, because Prometheus the crafty deceived him; therefore he planned sorrow and mischief against men. He hid fire; but that the noble son of Iapetus stole again for men from Zeus the counsellor in a hollow fennel-stalk, so that Zeus who delights in thunder did not see it. But afterwards Zeus who gathers the clouds said to him in anger:

[54] `Son of Iapetus, surpassing all in cunning, you are glad that you have outwitted me and stolen fire -- a great plague to you yourself and to men that shall be. But I will give men as the price for fire an evil thing in which they may all be glad of heart while they embrace their own destruction.'

[60] So said the father of men and gods, and laughed aloud. And he bade famous Hephaestus make haste and mix earth with water and to put in it the voice and strength of human kind, and fashion a sweet, lovely maiden-shape, like to the immortal goddesses in face; and Athene to teach her needlework and the weaving of the varied web; and golden Aphrodite to shed grace upon her head and cruel longing and cares that weary the limbs. And he charged Hermes the guide, the Slayer of Argus, to put in her a shameless mind and a deceitful nature.

[69] So he ordered. And they obeyed the lord Zeus the son of Cronos. Forthwith the famous Lame God moulded clay in the likeness of a modest maid, as the son of Cronos purposed. And the goddess bright-eyed Athene girded and clothed her, and the divine Graces and queenly Persuasion put necklaces of gold upon her, and the rich-haired Hours crowned her head with spring flowers. And Pallas Athene bedecked her form with all manners of finery. Also the Guide, the Slayer of Argus, contrived within her lies and crafty words and a deceitful nature at the will of loud thundering Zeus, and the Herald of the gods put speech in her. And he called this woman Pandora (All Endowed), because all they who dwelt on Olympus gave each a gift, a plague to men who eat bread.

[83] But when he had finished the sheer, hopeless snare, the Father sent glorious Argus-Slayer, the swift messenger of the gods, to take it to Epimetheus as a gift. And Epimetheus did not think on what Prometheus had said to him, bidding him never take a gift of Olympian Zeus, but to send it back for fear it might prove to be something harmful to men. But he took the gift, and afterwards, when the evil thing was already his, he understood.

[90] For ere this the tribes of men lived on earth remote and free from ills and hard toil and heavy sickness which bring the Fates upon men; for in misery men grow old quickly. But the woman took off the great lid of the jar with her hands and scattered all these and her thought caused sorrow and mischief to men. Only Hope remained there in an unbreakable home within under the rim of the great jar, and did not fly out at the door; for ere that, the lid of the jar stopped her, by the will of Aegis-holding Zeus who gathers the clouds. But the rest, countless plagues, wander amongst men; for earth is full of evils and the sea is full. Of themselves diseases come upon men continually by day and by night, bringing mischief to mortals silently; for wise Zeus took away speech from them. So is there no way to escape the will of Zeus.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Thoguh posted:

gently caress, sorry

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

If the variant rumours in India are true, its definitely sooner.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Death By The Blues posted:

If the variant rumours in India are true, its definitely sooner.

If it's accelerating its pace of symptoms appearing that is a good thing, the whole thing hinged on the long asymptomatic period

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I just wanna relive the anticipation and joy of receiving my 2nd dose it's all been downhill since

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Thoguh posted:

My condolences, terrible.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It depends on the strain. The triple mutation has the longer incubation period while the newest one discovered is shorter but also deadlier.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My office has resumed in-person work.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Smythe posted:

:rip:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Smythe posted:

You will be missed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNSxCLYKgys

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I work at a homeless shelter and the staff is vaccinated and everyone just quit wearing masks
lol

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Pohl posted:

I work at a homeless shelter and the staff is vaccinated and everyone just quit wearing masks
lol

lol owned

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Smythe posted:

drat you got to escape l hide out longer than most

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Smythe posted:

My condolences, terrible.

just a joke. it’s a riff on a line from the Stranger, by Camus

....right?

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I

Thoguh posted:

Hey now, Meursault is better than that.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

OK so what's the end game here? If we aren't going to pay people to take the vaccine and we aren't going to meaningfully force people to take it, then what happens? Do we just wait for some super mutant strain to tear through anyone not vaccinated until they're either dead or scared straight into taking it?

Followup question: how did the 1918 pandemic end without a vaccine? Did it just get bad enough it scythed through the population not willing to take precautions until it burned itself out?

Has there ever been a disease that reached global pandemic levels where this wasn’t the case? I was looking into it recently and couldn’t find any major one that wasn’t either a) allowed to rip through the population until it burned itself out or b) effectively treated through pharmaceutical intervention (vaccines, antibiotics, etc). Obviously if we had achieved containment early on this could have been another SARS 1 but at this point I’m not sure there are any examples of another option historically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Thoguh posted:

A reminder that if you get on an airplane currently your risk assessment needs it include consideration that you are getting on an airplane with the kind of person who thinks it's a good idea to fly for vacation right now.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1389531505643466755?s=19

tourists in Puerto Rico have been super aggressive and generally going crazy for a while now. Lots of videos of people getting into public altercations