Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

is the plural of combat mission, combats mission? Too bad there isn't more than one of 'em on steam so we'll never find out!

j/k, but seriously, wtf with this release?

I think it would be combat missions? The word combat doesn't get pluralized like that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How long do I have to wait for Combat Mission Cold War on Steam?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

How long do I have to wait for Combat Mission Cold War on Steam?

June.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Saros posted:

You're doing it backwards, lex should be following the surface task force. Lex's orders look fine so it must be something in the tf following it that's fouling up.

Check the previous day, it's quite possible they refueled the DD's and didn't have enough ops to move. We need the tf screen for both tf's on the 8th.

Pharnakes posted:

Also generally speaking you should be using patrol, not remain on station. RoS will result in them doing just that, pretty much no matter what, patrol will let them adapt to the situation and retreat if needed.

And like Saros said carriers should follow surface forces as a rule, no the other way around. One downside to following a surface force though is the carriers will stick with them , since it is assumed they are providing air cover. This means the carriers will not react towards or away from enemy carriers to get optimal strike range as they otherwise might.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I've also just straight up had buggy behavior with the "follow tf" command. The previous guys are spot on, though.

Thanks! I'll change my approach in terms of which TF follows and using patrol for more than just subs.

Here's the TFs on the 8th and the 9th. Refueling the DDs seems plausible but it doesn't look like that was what happened. So maybe just bugged?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Damnit I caved and bought Warplan Pacific. I knew it was gonna happen too, they could slap the word "Pacific" on any grog game and I'll buy it. I never played the first Warplan so I'm hoping this one is fun.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I played a bit of WarPlan Pacific, and it made me want to go back to WitP. So I fired that up and remembered I'm about 5 hours into my first Japan turn. So now I'm just playing Valhalla.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know if us ppl who bought it will get a Steam code if/when it comes to Steam?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone know if us ppl who bought it will get a Steam code if/when it comes to Steam?

It's highly likely that you will, assuming it works like other Matrix/Slitherine games. They seem to mostly be trying to maximize their profits from hardcore fans before submitting to steam's cut. Your Matrix/Slitherine account will probably get a steam key when they launch on steam.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

V for Vegas posted:

I played a bit of WarPlan Pacific, and it made me want to go back to WitP. So I fired that up and remembered I'm about 5 hours into my first Japan turn. So now I'm just playing Valhalla.

I just got back into WitP again. Playing Allies vs Japan for now, but does anyone have a decent primer on the Japanese economy and logistics? It’s an entirely different monster.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MrYenko posted:

I just got back into WitP again. Playing Allies vs Japan for now, but does anyone have a decent primer on the Japanese economy and logistics? It’s an entirely different monster.

Go to the Matrix forums (I am too lazy), but someone has made this beautiful spreadsheet for everything you need to do to set up your turn one as Japan.

It teaches you quite a bit—and it taught me playing Japan isn’t worth the trouble.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

MrYenko posted:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605

This is the best one I think.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I found a copy of Gary Grigsby's World at War in the bottom of an old box. Looks to be a circa-2005 game and I can't recall anyone here ever mentioning it. Is this thing worth installing or is it a total dog? I'd have to dig up a cd-rom drive.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

IIRC its a very simplified version of WitP/WitE but I could be wrong. Looking at reviews it looks like it wasnt very well received.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I found a copy of Gary Grigsby's World at War in the bottom of an old box. Looks to be a circa-2005 game and I can't recall anyone here ever mentioning it. Is this thing worth installing or is it a total dog? I'd have to dig up a cd-rom drive.

It's Gary Grigsby's Axis and Allies. It has a bit more focus on supply but it's operating at that level. Matrix was at that time really looking for a hit so they were trying to make simpler games while they still had some access to normal game review media.

I would be shocked if it worked very well on a modern computer, though. A lot of games from that time Matrix made are really poorly coded like that.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 5, 2021

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Thanks! I'll change my approach in terms of which TF follows and using patrol for more than just subs.

Here's the TFs on the 8th and the 9th. Refueling the DDs seems plausible but it doesn't look like that was what happened. So maybe just bugged?
- snip -

Follow-up!

:getin:

Not too bad.

"Late Lex" finally joined the fight, the Buffalos are ineffective, and we get slaughtered.

But the second strike faces less CAP and is able to get through despite losses.
Only Ryuju and Tatsuta are reported sunk, but I found no traces of Zuiho afterwards.

I suspect that if Australia and company hadn't roughed up the carriers beforehand my planes probably wouldn't have gotten through, and they likely would have hit some of my ships. Buffalos are just not good against Zeros.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

It's Gary Grigsby's Axis and Allies. It has a bit more focus on supply but it's operating at that level. Matrix was at that time really looking for a hit so they were trying to make simpler games while they still had some access to normal game review media.

I would be shocked if it worked very well on a modern computer, though. A lot of games from that time Matrix made are really poorly coded like that.

Got it. I've got other games to play if I want to go that route, so I'll pass. Thanks for the reply.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with Slitherine customer service. I've gotten no update at all on my DC:B physical edition, sent a few emails, got an auto-response that a ticket was opened and it's been radio silence for 3-4 days now. Are they that busy, or am I just getting ignored. At least I paid with paypal so if they ignore me for a wicked long time I can dispute the payment.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Command: Kashmir Fire and the v1.03 CMO update are out now: https://www.matrixgames.com/game/command-kashmir-fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1do0fEXYMEQ

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Slitherine customer service. I've gotten no update at all on my DC:B physical edition, sent a few emails, got an auto-response that a ticket was opened and it's been radio silence for 3-4 days now. Are they that busy, or am I just getting ignored. At least I paid with paypal so if they ignore me for a wicked long time I can dispute the payment.

They are usually pretty decent if slow. If you paid for it you will get it I'm sure, but pushing them might not be bad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It actually showed up in my mailbox today! They just never sent me a notice it had shipped. All good! Beautiful hardcover manual too

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
*the next patch invalidates everything*

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Gewehr 43 posted:

*the next patch invalidates everything*

I figure DC:B has been out long enough he was shipped a totally inaccurate manual out of the box, never mind next patch.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
That makes me wonder: Are manuals usually updated when patches go out?

In any event, the pro-tier move is to print out your own manual two-to-a-page, double-sided, spiral-bound.

I'm at god-tier now; I have my own dedicated ereader for all of this crapola

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Shadow Empire manual is updated constantly.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Right. That's why I'm looking into taking this to the next level and spiral-binding my ereaders.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

That makes me wonder: Are manuals usually updated when patches go out?

As an IT professional I can authoritatively say what's a manual? no, never.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looks like W40K Battlesector (The Sanctus Reach-like) got pushed back from this month to July, which honestly I've kinda been expecting.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why don't they just make sanctus reach 2 or something

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Gewehr 43 posted:

As an IT professional I can authoritatively say what's a manual? no, never.

Correct. As a one time video game developer and technical writer I can tell you—you’d be lucky if you get a manual update 3 years after the game launches, right before support for the game stops.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I figured people here would know best: is there any good tactical level games in the Pacific? Ive been playing Warplan: Pacific and Steel Division II and would love something that plays like the latter in the setting of the former

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I figured people here would know best: is there any good tactical level games in the Pacific? Ive been playing Warplan: Pacific and Steel Division II and would love something that plays like the latter in the setting of the former

War on the Sea is fun although the late game balance is wonky, it's been getting steady updates improving the experience.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Popete posted:

War on the Sea is fun although the late game balance is wonky, it's been getting steady updates improving the experience.

Ive had this on my wishlist for a while but I heard it fot bad reviews. Might be worth checking out again if its been getting updates!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know people here weren't very high on it but I think the actually engagements are a lot of fun. There are for sure some balance issues but the devs have been addressing some of that stuff. The campaign for Guadalcanal is hard in the beginning but as you start to whittle down the enemy ships (they are permanently lost once sunk) the enemy force compositions start getting wacky as they are all out of heavy cruisers so you're fighting a bunch of destroyers and light cruisers with your massive battleships. But it takes awhile to get to that point and it's still fun to play, just doesn't present much of a challenge after a certain point.

Hopefully the campaign points system can be redone to address that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tracking Task Force Admiral as a game that looks like it might be fun to watch play itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upbqBpcG3EA&t=339s

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ultimate General/Ultimate Admiral/Naval Action studio got bought by a Free to Play mobile studio.

https://www.stillfront.com/en/still...he-acquisition/

quote:

As a part of the Stillfront Group, the studio will continue expanding and improving its portfolio of premium games, but also expand into GaaS (games as a service) and free-to-play, with a clear focus on historical strategy and battle themes. The acquisition of Game Labs further strengthens Stillfront’s existing portfolio of mid-hardcore games in the strategy and action genre, addressing primarily the attractive 30+ male audience.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Not that I had any hope for really any of their games at this point, but :rip:

Naval action and ultimate dreadnought could both have been so good. probably AoS too but at least I didn't buy that one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

Ultimate General/Ultimate Admiral/Naval Action studio got bought by a Free to Play mobile studio.

https://www.stillfront.com/en/still...he-acquisition/

"addressing primarily the attractive 30+ male audience."

:thunk:

Also this stinks, I really have enjoyed Game Labs stuff to this point even if some of it has been a miss (Naval Action, even though I still played a ton of it). Hopefully they can still focus on making cool "premium" games but it sure sounds like they're gonna be pumping out mobile p2w stuff.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If they make Naval Action good again, I’d be happy with that. Just bring in the standard model of grinding out battles to get a new ship rather than the open world bullshit. I’d also be down for an Ultimate General game in the vein of Total War Arena.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Naval Action was fantastic as an arena battle game and I'm still amazed they managed to kill it as thoroughly as they did by copying all of the bad bits of Pirates of the Burning Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Popete posted:

"addressing primarily the attractive 30+ male audience."

:thunk:

well I'm at least 30+ male