Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Bill Murray voiced Garfield, who is an orange cat like Healthcliff. Heathcliff is a character in Wuthering Heights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just found out that "Bananas in Pyjamas" isn't an ancient children's nursery rhyme.

It was written in 1969, it was actually the Australian ABC who popularised it, and they actually tried to screw the composer out of royalties when the TV show based on the lyrics became a mega hit.

https://careyblyton.com/??=Bananas

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

Bill Murray voiced Garfield, who is an orange cat like Healthcliff. Heathcliff is a character in Wuthering Heights

More importantly Lorenzo Music voiced Garfield. And Bill Murray followed in his footsteps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYh8ZvgnFJo

Music is vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

christmas boots posted:

Bill Murray played Garfield in the "live action" Garfield movies, while Lorenzo Music originated the role in the animated version.

Lorenzo Music played Peter Venkman in the animated Ghostbusters show, while Bill Murray originated the role in the live action movies.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
And Bill Murray voiced Garfield because he mistakenly thought it was going to be a Coen Bros movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Bill Murray played Garfield in the "live action" Garfield movies, while Lorenzo Music originated the role in the animated version.

Lorenzo Music played Peter Venkman in the animated Ghostbusters show, while Bill Murray originated the role in the live action movies.

Only in seasons 1 and 2. Supposedly Bill Murray is the reason for that

quote:

Bill Murray is said to be the main reason that Lorenzo Music was fired in the first place. Murray complained to the studio that the character sounded too much like Garfield, then later took on the live action role of Garfield. [citation needed]

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

JGdmn posted:

Maybe it has some thing to do with the way your streets are oriented where you grow up?

This is it. I grew up in a mid-size city in the central US — very flat, and most streets were oriented entirely on a N-S-E-W grid, with the main arteries exactly one mile apart. Everybody grew up instinctively understanding cardinal directions.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lincoln posted:

This is it. I grew up in a mid-size city in the central US — very flat, and most streets were oriented entirely on a N-S-E-W grid, with the main arteries exactly one mile apart. Everybody grew up instinctively understanding cardinal directions.

I grew up in a city oriented that way (Phoenix) and the problem is my sense of cardinal directions only works when I'm there. :v: Now I live in New England and I don't know what the gently caress anymore.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Knowing that numbered streets run north south and the streets named after confederate generals run east west is cheating because you can't dead reckon based on confederate general streets in the middle of the woods.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Len posted:

Only in seasons 1 and 2. Supposedly Bill Murray is the reason for that

And he was replaced by Dave Coulier doing a Carl Spackler impression.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

You'd figure the confederate generals would be the ones running south

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

zedprime posted:

numbered streets run north south and [named streets] run east west

holy loving poo poo

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

holy loving poo poo

I mean it's a thing in certain southern towns.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It's a thing in cities too I guess, or at least the one I live in :psyduck: how did I never notice this

e: numbers running north/south and letters/names running east/west, I mean, not Confederate general names

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 01:40 on May 5, 2021

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's a thing in cities too I guess, or at least the one I live in :psyduck: how did I never notice this

e: numbers running north/south and letters/names running east/west, I mean, not Confederate general names

That's not universal. Lots of towns do different arrangements.

Manhattan, for example, has numbered streets running cross town and numbered avenues running uptown/downtown. Chicago has numbered east/west streets and named north/south streets.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Weembles posted:

Manhattan, for example, has numbered streets running cross town and numbered avenues running uptown/downtown.

Now this is the true :psyduck: of street design. Like, I already knew that was the case, but seriously, :psypop: at that design philosophy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
And then there's Washington DC where you need to be a free mason to understand the intersections of numbered, lettered, and state streets.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys know Chevy Chase and Gene Wilder are different dudes?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now this is the true :psyduck: of street design. Like, I already knew that was the case, but seriously, :psypop: at that design philosophy.

Manhattan's street grid has few good :psyduck: features for something so superficially simple.

Each block is a little over three times as wide as it is tall. They did it originally to service the wharfs that used to line this island. Now that the wharves are all gone, the arrangement mostly just lets pedestrians know that they can go gently caress themselves.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Roads going only by numbers is exceptionally rare in Australia.

However, the major ones all have actual numbers, which will appear in street directories as well. Nobody uses these except for GPSes.

Eg, nobody calls it "State Route 56", it's Alexander Drive which becomes Fitzgerald Street. (I had to go look up what the number is).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Weembles posted:

Manhattan, for example, has numbered streets running cross town and numbered avenues running uptown/downtown. Chicago has numbered east/west streets and named north/south streets.

I am relieved to hear I am not as completely unobservant as I had briefly believed myself to be, thank you

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Weembles posted:

Or you could head out to Queens and visit Astoria Coffee, on the corner of 30th st and 30th ave, right around the corner from 30th dr.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The town I lived in for the first ten years of my life had a Johnson Street, a Johnston Street, and a Johnson Avenue, which was fun.

Next town I lived in had streets named Earl, Burl, and Merle, but that's a slightly different problem.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Or you could head out to Queens and visit Astoria Coffee, on the corner of 30th st and 30th ave, right around the corner from 30th dr.

Only in New York, baby. Go Mets.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Hyperlynx posted:

Roads going only by numbers is exceptionally rare in Australia.

However, the major ones all have actual numbers, which will appear in street directories as well. Nobody uses these except for GPSes.

Eg, nobody calls it "State Route 56", it's Alexander Drive which becomes Fitzgerald Street. (I had to go look up what the number is).

Yeah, you could make a question in pub trivia trying to work out the numbers to main roads here and you could definitely use it as a tiebreaker. Hell, outside the major motorways I would be hard-pressed naming more than five.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JGdmn posted:

Maybe it has some thing to do with the way your streets are oriented where you grow up?

Here in Melbourne Australia all the streets in the CBD run N/NW then immediately once you get out of the CBD they all run N/NE, none of the streets point on a true cardinal direction

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Melbourne Australia all the streets in the CBD run N/NW then immediately once you get out of the CBD they all run N/NE, none of the streets point on a true cardinal direction

It might have actually been that the compasses they used to lay out those streets back then were pointing directly to north, but they didn't have the magnetic declination set up, which in Victoria is about 11° east.

Also, Brighton is even worse for that, because the streets around the area are reasonably fine based on what I said above (New Street, Hampton Street) but the big area in the middle that's offset was surveyed by a guy who went "nahh, I'm going to align it with where the sun comes up on Winter Solstice, because Reasons" or something equally stupid.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Memento posted:

It might have actually been that the compasses they used to lay out those streets back then were pointing directly to north, but they didn't have the magnetic declination set up, which in Victoria is about 11° east.

Well, not the CBD. I just looked it up, and it was so that it would be parallel to the river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoddle_Grid

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Y'all should try living in a city built by successive groups of Vikings and Normans over a millennium. Not a single straight or wide road, nothing is numbered, streets turns into other streets or circle back on themselves.

Also in the city I grew up in you could be north or south of the river, but the river also forked in two at some point to make a central island that was maybe north or south depending on the vibe

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Today I found out that the Black Keys aren't the Kings of Leon and neither of them are Cage the Elephant.

I'm bad at music.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Was talking to my wife the other night about slang terms for penis and it came up that roger used to be (and maybe still is in Britain?) a much more widespread euphemism before being largely replaced by dick.

I just realized what Roger De Bris' name in the Producers was a joke about :gizz:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

fizzymercury posted:

Today I found out that the Black Keys aren't the Kings of Leon and neither of them are Cage the Elephant.

I'm bad at music.

Finally found the guy in charge of labeling songs on Kazaa

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Minister of education Li Andersson (Left Alliance) is not related to the late former minister of education Claes Andersson (Left Alliance), and is definitely not his daughter.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They're both sons of Anders though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

They're both sons of Anders though.

It's possible :shrug:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Failed Imagineer posted:

Y'all should try living in a city built by successive groups of Vikings and Normans over a millennium. Not a single straight or wide road, nothing is numbered, streets turns into other streets or circle back on themselves.

Also in the city I grew up in you could be north or south of the river, but the river also forked in two at some point to make a central island that was maybe north or south depending on the vibe

Oh yeah, we have viking towns too - lots and lots of roads just about wide enough for a single cart.

For example here, the middle of Wexford town Head up Selskar street and boggle at all the winding, 6 foot wide roads.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hell, same, but for Muslims for a few centuries and then Christians. Old city streets here barely fit cars and sidewalks are at a premium. But you get to walk into five diffent small, old churches in a 500m walk.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dip Viscous posted:

The town I lived in for the first ten years of my life had a Johnson Street, a Johnston Street, and a Johnson Avenue, which was fun.

Next town I lived in had streets named Earl, Burl, and Merle, but that's a slightly different problem.

Oh yeah, gotta love older cities with no naming scheme whatsoever.

My town has a Colchester Ave...it does not go to the town of Colchester. It goes to the town of Winooski. Also, Colchester Ave randomly changes it's name halfway to Pearl St. No rhyme or reason.

There is also a Winooksi Ave (north and south version)...that never goes to Winooski. It starts and ends in Burlington.

And related to similar street names, we have a Hayward and a Howard Streets...and they even intersect with each other!

And same with a North Ave and North St.

I feel like numbered streets and aves intersecting with each other is ok, cause, like...it's a number, start at one corner and increment them up as you go in each direction.

But a directional street? North is a cardinal direction, they can't both go north and also intersect!

FTR, north is sort of between them, though closer to North Ave, as the red arrow shows.

ALSO, unrelated, but the PC version of Google Maps has no way to put a compass overlay? WTF? I had to go to street view, then sort of eyeball where it was pointing me on the top-down view.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So when you get kicked out of one church for too many bread samples you can just go to the other one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Milo and POTUS posted:

So when you get kicked out of one church for too many bread samples you can just go to the other one

Related to churches, it wasn't until a few years ago I found out that most protestant and protestant-adjacent churches use grape juice in place of wine.

WTF? That was, like, the one little "fun" thing about going to church as a kid, feeling you're sticking it to "the man" by having a sip of wine.