Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ponzicar posted:

I guess my autism spectrum disorder is showing here, but why the gently caress didn't Boston marriage lady just immediately phone her friend and ask to bring Betty as a plus one when she got the invitation? If it was a mistake it would have been immediately corrected, and if it was a snub, the bride would have to either own up to it or back down.

Because that would involve clear communication.

Can’t have that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought kids only got darker eyes/hair as they got older? Like it’s common for a baby to be blonde and blue-eyed, and then grow into hazel eyes and brown hair, but I’ve never heard of it going the other way.

Dude will never love his kids.

Not at all, it changes as they grow. I started with light brown hair and bright green eyes to strawberry, bright blonde with hazel eyes to dark blonde/brown hair as I aged. My eyes are still hazel but sometimes look green if I wear certain colors. People change as they age, it's not that weird. And it's super weird for the dude with double recessive traits to be mad that his kid doesn't have them unless he's a real dumbass.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's a conversational hotspot, but it seems to me that the parent who is raising her Deaf children with sign did a lot more to accommodate the other kid than did the mother who is raising her child speech-only.

Yeah I really didn't expect that story to play out the way it did, I assumed the OP was going to be judgmental of the kid with the implant but nope.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

pentyne posted:

The deaf community especially regarding CI is like the disability community's equivalent of YA Twitter.

What is YA twitter? I'm not familiar with it as a member of the disability community.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

pentyne posted:

The deaf community especially regarding CI is like the disability community's equivalent of YA Twitter.

Yikes!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There Bias Two posted:

What is YA twitter? I'm not familiar with it as a member of the disability community.

Young Adult (literature) twitter, which really is the too-woke cancel culture Republicans accuse everyone on the left of being these days

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Really? Did not know. The blue of my eyes has faded a bit, or maybe it's just that they no longer contrast with the dark hair.

Er, that was poorly phrased. Your eyes can get lighter when your hair does, which might make brown eyes turn amber or hazel eyes turn green. If you already have blue eyes and they get lighter, they'll trend towards ice blue or grey.

Eye color is super weird.

E:

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Not at all, it changes as they grow. I started with light brown hair and bright green eyes to strawberry, bright blonde with hazel eyes to dark blonde/brown hair as I aged. My eyes are still hazel but sometimes look green if I wear certain colors. People change as they age, it's not that weird. And it's super weird for the dude with double recessive traits to be mad that his kid doesn't have them unless he's a real dumbass.

That's fair; I genuinely hadn't heard of anyone go from brown to blonde and I spent a whole minute googling it with no conclusive results. Now I have!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 4, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I was at a party once during college and talking to someone about the recessive nature of red hair and this ginger overheard and took it as a personal insult, like I was threatening extinction upon his kind and he really wanted to fight me about it.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Two close friends of mine got married a number of years ago and had chipotle at their wedding. It was good and I enjoyed it more than most other wedding meals I can remember.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Its a toxic cesspool of a mix or all of the following

- dragging authors for not being woke or progressive enough
- trying to cancel authors for the same
- trying to cancel authors while promoting your own books as better alternatives
- flipping the gently caress out over a 10 word out of context description of a short story
- dismissing any cis white person as not being allowed to have an opinion (you'd think it would be specific to race/trans issues, but no, blanket ban)
- doxxing and harassing fanfiction writers for writing adult content, which will include minors as targets
- doxxing and harassing in general for all of the above

It makes the most extreme Tumblr communities step back and say they don't want to be a part of such an unhealthy environment.

Notable things like "I identify as an attack helicopter" a tech dystopia short story where the trans author was harassed to the point of a breakdown, and then later people attacked anyone associated with the previous attack accusing them of outing trans people because the editor initially replied "the author is trans" when it started.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

kntfkr posted:

I was at a party once during college and talking to someone about the recessive nature of red hair and this ginger overheard and took it as a personal insult, like I was threatening extinction upon his kind and he really wanted to fight me about it.

There was an infamous article about 15 years ago that really made the rounds that was saying that red-heads were going extinct because of their recessive genes. In addition to being a very poor understanding of Mendelevian genetics, the study was also an early example of viral marketing in that it was sponsored by Revlon to try and sell hair products.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

kntfkr posted:

What an utter turd. My dad has bright blue eyes and red hair runs on both sides of the fam, so I assume that's why mine gets reddish in the sun/was strawberry when I was a kid. Double recessive genes are something I learned in like fourth grade with the little four box/square diagram. Especially when you're the rarity that's affected by it, how would you not understand how it works?! It's rare to have an entire family where every single one is a ginger, did you just assume it was the milkman's kid or something?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

pentyne posted:

While I think that's a pretty terrible and insulting comparison, it is (or was, at least, I haven't really kept up with things) a live wire topic where the loudest people on every "side" (both for and against the implants) are pretty horrible and sort of set the tone.

I don't understand how someone can be stridently anti-ASL in this day and age though, where even many hearing parents are teaching their children at least basic ASL because of the cognitive benefits it provides to be not just bilingual but to be bilingual in languages that are so different from each other, and CI-mom definitely comes across as the bad guy in this story.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Nothing of the sort. I wasn't even talking to the kid. It was like at a punk rock kinda house (this was in New Brunswick/ Rutgers) and I had on a polo shirt so I guess I looked preppy and this guy was really drunk and aggro. He later got his rear end roughed up and thrown out for trying to start a fight with someone else and he accidentally elbowed a girl in the face while gesturing wildly.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

pentyne posted:

Its a toxic cesspool of a mix or all of the following

- dragging authors for not being woke or progressive enough
- trying to cancel authors for the same
- trying to cancel authors while promoting your own books as better alternatives
- flipping the gently caress out over a 10 word out of context description of a short story
- dismissing any cis white person as not being allowed to have an opinion (you'd think it would be specific to race/trans issues, but no, blanket ban)
- doxxing and harassing fanfiction writers for writing adult content, which will include minors as targets
- doxxing and harassing in general for all of the above

It makes the most extreme Tumblr communities step back and say they don't want to be a part of such an unhealthy environment.

Notable things like "I identify as an attack helicopter" a tech dystopia short story where the trans author was harassed to the point of a breakdown, and then later people attacked anyone associated with the previous attack accusing them of outing trans people because the editor initially replied "the author is trans" when it started.

Man. Remember the time YA twitter pitched a fit because a college student petitioned her college to remove a YA novel from their selected reading list and instead nominate a novel written for adults? The author of the YA book went on a pissy little rant about how it was misogynistic, even though the student who made the selection was a woman (and a BIPOC to boot). The author was sort of well-known so a bunch of toadies and wannabes were like "yaasss go off queen (gif of a black woman snapping her fingers)".

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

While I think that's a pretty terrible and insulting comparison, it is (or was, at least, I haven't really kept up with things) a live wire topic where the loudest people on every "side" (both for and against the implants) are pretty horrible and sort of set the tone.

I don't understand how someone can be stridently anti-ASL in this day and age though, where even many hearing parents are teaching their children at least basic ASL because of the cognitive benefits it provides to be not just bilingual but to be bilingual in languages that are so different from each other, and CI-mom definitely comes across as the bad guy in this story.

Plus not every deaf person is a proper candidate for an implant, for reasons well beyond the scope of this thread.

Though the arguments behind anti-implant activism feel almost literally like a cult, outright stating that being a part of their community is more important than being able to easily function in society at large. A bunch of pages back, someone relayed a story of someone who got themselves an implant and were promptly shunned by their Deaf family members, claiming that that wasn't at all unusual. It'll be fun when Neuralink (or someone) develops something that plugs directly into the brain.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

kntfkr posted:

fuckin gingers, man, this is why we're getting rid of them

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cockmaster posted:

Plus not every deaf person is a proper candidate for an implant, for reasons well beyond the scope of this thread.
OP alluded to this in the comments, saying that she wasn't going to discuss her child's medical history.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I wish.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Have some obnoxious siblings:

WIBTA if I didn't visit my dad because my brother is there?

quote:

I (17f) have half brother (16m) who lives with our dad and I visit them every year.

Me and my brother usually play online and our online friend/IRL friend groups have intertwined. Everyone knows how bad girls are treated by guys when we're trying to play online and some of the guys in his friend group started being dicks when they were the only other guys playing with us. So some of my friends wanted a girls only group. My brother got upset he was being excluded and decided to only play with his friends (all male).

I told him we had a legitimate reason for making an all girls group vs him doing it out of spite, but he argued we should have just let everyone else know and kicked those guys. Anyway we ended up arguing and he asked me not to visit (out of state) this year. That led to another argument where we both said some hurtful things and he ended up telling me he hated me and he doesn't want to see and told me to never visit again. And I don't want to see him now either, but this is the only time I get to see my dad. I told my dad I didn't think was I going to visit and he got sad and doesn't think I have a good reason not to visit. WIBTA if I didn't go?

AITA for telling my sister that money can't buy her a soul?

quote:

My (32M) father (63M) isn't reliable to tale care of himself anymore, and so we decided as a family that it would be best if he moved in with a family member to ensure that he was being cared for. My sister (38F) refused to, on the grounds that she's still upset over the fact that, when she was younger, pur father didn't have enough money to put her through the college that she wanted to go to because he was paying for his mother's medical bills because his father couldn't afford it, and she still holds a grudge over that.

So I agreed for him to stay with me and my three sons, (7M), (4M) and (2M). I was a little angry that my sister refused to care for our father because of something that happened eighteen years ago but didn't want to make a fight about it. Yesterday, we were on the phone, and my sister admitted that she was still pissed off at our father, even though he only couldn't afford college because he was trying to help his mother, and she said in a snide tone that at least she's got this great job with her degree and that, if she ever has kids, at least she'll focus on their needs first and be able to pay for their college.

I told her that our father was trying to save our grandmother's life and that, if she can't realize that, then it's a shame that money can't buy her a soul. It was a low-blow for me, I admit, but I feel like it was deserved for her constant pity party over it. She got upset and said that I have no right to micro-manage her feelings and she said some pretty hurtful things about how I wasn't going to ever get anywhere with my own degree (Associate's) and that I was going to turn out just like our father and that my kids will never get anywhere before hanging up on me.

I don't think that her reaction was warranted, but she seemed pretty upset and I just want to know if, judging by her reaction, I was too harsh and if I just don't realize it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OP alluded to this in the comments, saying that she wasn't going to discuss her child's medical history.

The irrational actors on either side of the issue basically insist their opponents are committing child abuse and causing lifelong harm. When that's the baseline for argument, it's always going to bring out the worst in people.

The biggest thing about it is the people who maintain its a matter of "deaf culture", which is its own massive issue to pick apart.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

AITA for Not Allowing my Daughters to Have a Playdate with a Girl who Has a Cochlear Implant?

Oh nice, I finally get to see a story here that I have personal experience with! I say this as a profoundly deaf person with a cochlear implant and remedial sign language skills: The mother of the girl with a cochlear implant is 100% the rear end in a top hat here.

Community, connections and culture are very difficult to make up for later in life and her daughter will probably regret shunning that part of her identity in her childhood. I always felt like I was in limbo between two life experiences, I wish I would have had some deaf friends with similar/shared experiences growing up.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

pentyne posted:

Hold up.

Are you telling me there's a trans story about someone getting cyberpunked into becoming an attack helicopter, and hopefully proceeding to strafe the gently caress out a motorcade of TERFs?

That sounds incredible.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bug Squash posted:

Hold up.

Are you telling me there's a trans story about someone getting cyberpunked into becoming an attack helicopter, and hopefully proceeding to strafe the gently caress out a motorcade of TERFs?

That sounds incredible.

yes, it's by isabel fall, and she was harassed hard enough to be driven to have the magazine it was published in retract it

it's not bad, if you can find it

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

I don't mind explaining, it's interesting!

So there are different types of deafness and cochlear implants are used specifically when the hair cells in the cochlear bone are damaged. Other types of deafness are caused by a structural defect between the auditory nerve and the outer ear or damage to the auditory nerve itself. Before I got mine I had to have numerous tests and an MRI scan so they knew it wasn't a waste of time or money. :shobon:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

oh jay posted:

Do these sound like the actions of a man who had all he could eat?

what?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bug Squash posted:

Hold up.

That sounds incredible.

Not exactly. It's a sci-fi story about a future in which gender has become fully understood, commodified, subjected to artificial manipulation, and exploited by the military.

There's an archived copy here; the original was pulled after the controversy and googling it just invites a firestorm of really bad takes.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I wonder what apartment dude is doing...

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

oh jay posted:

Do these sound like the actions of a man who had all he could eat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqT-AvswCZo

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lol thanks

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

AITA for Not Allowing my Daughters to Have a Playdate with a Girl who Has a Cochlear Implant?
This post! It was made for me!
As a person who uses has used a cochlear implant from the age of five, gently caress NO you are NOT the rear end in a top hat. I used to be able to sign fluently, but once I got the implant I've forgotten it except how to ask where the restroom is and that's about it- I never learned ASL, either, mine was Signed English. The CI-having kid parent is dicks of the highest order for trying to force your kid to talk, and you would be well within your rights to hit them with a chair.

Xachariah posted:

I don't mind explaining, it's interesting!

So there are different types of deafness and cochlear implants are used specifically when the hair cells in the cochlear bone are damaged. Other types of deafness are caused by a structural defect between the auditory nerve and the outer ear or damage to the auditory nerve itself. Before I got mine I had to have numerous tests and an MRI scan so they knew it wasn't a waste of time or money. :shobon:
All true! The hair cell damage is exactly the type of deafness I have also, so I was basically fast-tracked for getting it. It doesn't always work even if you do have the right 'kind' of deafness, though, but it has gotten better from when I was a kid. I only got the right ear implanted, it's standard nowadays to do both, I'm told.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 5, 2021

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not helping my ex after he left our business?

quote:

I (F29) met my ex B (M29) college and started a business right after our senior year. Our relationship often got toxic, but I think being business partners kept us together.

Eventually, our business started having financial troubles. B comes from wealth, so I asked him to get a loan from his parents which he agreed to.

Two months later, B suddenly asked for all the money back. We were always planning to pay it but we had mutually decided on manageable instalments, and I was not in a position to return all of it at the same time. B said his father was very sick and since he was in retirement, his health insurance situation was tricky. This seemed particularly odd to me because 1) B did not give me any details on the sickness 2) He didn’t let me call his mother because she was ‘grieving’ and couldn’t talk about finances 3) Mom had more than enough money to pay for his treatment. Every time I tried to investigate he asked me to trust him and that’s what I did.

Getting the money back was an ordeal- we had already invested all of it in the business, and I had to take some out and even give away all my personal savings. About three weeks after this, B called me to tell me that we are done. He also wanted out from the business, and the only other time I saw him was with lawyers when we were dividing our business assets and he was withdrawing his name from all the official documents.

I was devastated. In addition to all the emotional trauma, I had virtually no finances to fall back on and moved back in with my mother for a bit. I never heard from B, and after talking to some of our mutual friends (who were on my side) I found out that B’s father was not actually sick. I wasn’t surprised.

5 years later, I never gave up on my business, and slowly it grew and helped me pay of all my debts and live a comfortable life. I heard from some friends that both of B’s parents passed away, but I didn’t pay it much heed.

In the midst of lockdown, I got an email from B. I knew this was not going to be good, but I responded, guided by my curiosity to know what he did with all that money. His parents had cut him out of their will, and he had a child with a woman who abandoned them. He also got laid off because of covid, and he told me he was struggling to feed his son.

He told me that since he was instrumental to the businesses foundation, he deserved a cut from it now that it was successful. When I asked him about the money he said his parents were pressuring him(which I did not believe, they were always on board with his frivolous purchases and knew me well enough to tell me if they wanted it back). I consulted my lawyer, who said B had no legal claims to the business, but when I told my best friend about it, she said that she was appalled by the fact that I didn’t give it a second thought, especially because he was responsible for the business idea and his initial investment was twice as much as mine.

She thinks I’m an AH, so I’m here to find out.

UPDATE: AITA for not helping my ex after he left our business?

quote:

It’s been some time since I posted this, but I wanted to thank all of you for steering me in a clear direction. The volume of responses was overwhelming and I’m sorry for not getting back to all of you!

Now for the update- my ex does really have the son, and I was able to verify this. I also found out that he wasn’t cut out of his parents will: the money simply just wasn’t as much as he was expecting. Even though he did lose his job, he had a lot of fallback money. I also forgot an important detail in my first post- I recently did an interview in a local newspaper about my business and my ex may have read that and found out that my business was doing well. Since he didn’t need that money, my only explanation for why he reached out to me is that he felt entitled to my success and the money I made.

Now, about my friend. She admitted that he reached out to her before he emailed me, but later after some coaxing she told me that they had been speaking ‘casually’ for some years. I’m not the most confrontational person so I cut her out of my life, and yesterday I found out through Facebook that they’re engaged.

Well, one last thank you, I am admittedly a gullible person and you all helped me not get played.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought kids only got darker eyes/hair as they got older? Like it’s common for a baby to be blonde and blue-eyed, and then grow into hazel eyes and brown hair, but I’ve never heard of it going the other way.

Dude will never love his kids.

My niece started out with a head of jet black hair like mine and then it turned blonde like her dad. I was a bit bummed to not get to rub it in his face but hey.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not helping my ex after he left our business?

UPDATE: AITA for not helping my ex after he left our business?

Real big "pay me for my sandwich recipe" energy from the ex.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

pentyne posted:

Real big "pay me for my sandwich recipe" energy from the ex.

god, i miss that story

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

All true! The hair cell damage is exactly the type of deafness I have also, so I was basically fast-tracked for getting it. It doesn't always work even if you do have the right 'kind' of deafness, though, but it has gotten better from when I was a kid. I only got the right ear implanted, it's standard nowadays to do both, I'm told.

Oh hey, I only have the right ear implanted too! Here in the UK it's not standard to implant on both ears unless it's considered necessary due to the extra cost, I think the patient being very young or vision impaired makes you eligible. I don't think I'd want to be bilateral personally, would be a whole other device and batteries to have to worry about. Besides music doesn't sound as good unless I wear my normal hearing aid in my other ear.

Yeah I was warned that it might not be effective due to being implanted in an ear which hasn't had much use for a long time, since sometimes the auditory nerve doesn't know how to process the signals anymore, thankfully it worked out very well for me.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

god, i miss that story

I personally believe that the preplanned ketchup sales pitch skit is the best relationships post of all time.

"This factory ketchup is boring and weak. Where's the real tomato flavor??"

*throws darts at picture of a Heinz 57 ketchup bottle*
"I'm coming for YOU!"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My girlfriend (28F) doesn’t thinks she’s good enough for me (20M), what can I do to make her feel less insecure?

quote:

Exactly as the title says. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 8 months and I really love her but she’s always had an insecurity of thinking she isn’t good enough for me. Please excuse the lovely formatting, I’m on mobile. tldr at bottom.

It all came to a head last Saturday when she was going to meet most of my friends at a small party (we’re all vaccinated and low risk), and she was anxious about meeting them so she starting drinking pretty heavily right when she got off work (around 10 pm) and by the time me and my friend came to pick her up (around 11:30) she didn’t answer the door or phone and had fallen asleep. We tried to get her to answer the door for about an hour and then left without her.

This isn’t the first time she’s done this to me (it’s happened more than a few dozen times honestly) but this was a bigger deal since she told me she’d get better about it (and honestly did for a bit), not to mention she wasted my friend’s time too (he was also my ride, my car doesn’t work atm). She hasn’t been able to meet my friends due to COVID and her wonky work schedule so we were planning this about at least a week in advance.

We almost broke up over this, but she has decided to work on her unhealthy relationship with alcohol but she has brought up “you can do better than me,” or “I’m sure your next girlfriend will be better,” pretty constantly through our relationship and talking about our age gap. Honestly, I wince every time I hear it. I don’t really have much dating experience honestly, so I don’t know what to do :/

tl dr: gf thinks she's not good enough for me, brings up our age gap a lot. All came to a tee recently when we had a fight over her missing a pretty important event for me due to her drinking bc to anxiety. I am at a loss on what to do but love her a lot.

Edit 1: Yeah sorry I haven't replied to all of you, I passed out after replying to a few people. I'm reading every comment. I see a lot of people focusing on her addiction. The alcohol problem is pretty new, some people think that it's been an ongoing thing. I was pretty sure that her insecurity is causing the alcohol problem, hence why I put it that the title.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

god, i miss that story

I still want to try that sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My girlfriend (28F) doesn’t thinks she’s good enough for me (20M), what can I do to make her feel less insecure?

Man I've heard of a lot of excuses from alcoholics but "you're too good of a BF" is a new one.

Also, no one pounding drinks like that a couple dozen or so times is ever a "recent" problem they just no longer feel the need to hide their drinking.