Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Watch it turn out that covid damaged brains lead to increased aggression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zil posted:

Watch it turn out that covid damaged brains lead to increased aggression.

Naw, they just aren't used to being challenged and forced to do something they don't want to, especially by the help.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

TheSlutPit posted:

Has there ever been a disease that reached global pandemic levels where this wasn’t the case? I was looking into it recently and couldn’t find any major one that wasn’t either a) allowed to rip through the population until it burned itself out or b) effectively treated through pharmaceutical intervention (vaccines, antibiotics, etc). Obviously if we had achieved containment early on this could have been another SARS 1 but at this point I’m not sure there are any examples of another option historically.

depends on how you define a pandemic, I guess. TB has effective & widely available pharmaceuticals and it just kinda chugs along killing a million+ people each year, every year. it’s a disease that’s just here now, and our lives are worse & shorter than if it were not here

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
made some snickerdoodle thc cookies from my first legal AZ pot plant. suggest you all do the same and then seek therapy for doomerism

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Strangelet Wave posted:

it’s a disease that’s just here now, and our lives are worse & shorter than if it were not here

thats been the punch line ive been mulling over for >6mo now. if it can't be contained, the best we can hope for is harm reduction while it circulates periodically causing massive waves of suffering, but not in USA (or USA-petit) which is constantly reupped on the mrna juice.

definitely don't need to distribute methods for making vaccines or ramping up production tho, thats for sure.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

etalian posted:

how far can low energy Fauci shift the "success story" goalposts?

This morning I heard an NYT reporter say on NPR that it’s not Fauci moving the goalposts, it’s the science that’s moving the goalposts with respect to herd immunity.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

This morning I heard an NYT reporter say on NPR that it’s not Fauci moving the goalposts, it’s the science that’s moving the goalposts with respect to herd immunity.

The lamestream media basically is doing a Zardoz style belief system.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

mawarannahr posted:

Fauci isn't a bullshitting politician.

Fauci is channeling the inerrant word of Science.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

Guess President Open has concluded that it's easier to not do anything than it is to just pay people to get vaxxed.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Strangelet Wave posted:

just a joke. it’s a riff on a line from the Stranger, by Camus

....right?

dunno. dont really follow the thread too close and prefer to err on being credulous rather than cold and callous

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

+2 weeks after shot 2 of moderna and i notice my dick has grown to a slightly above-average length of 32 feet. anyone else?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thoguh posted:

Guess President Open has concluded that it's easier to not do anything than it is to just pay people to get vaxxed.

no you can get a free hot dog if you get vaxxed at a Mariners game so checkmate idiot

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hot Dogs at stadiums are $10 bucks or something so much better deal than a donut

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

Well if we're dealing with more virulent variants taking over then that is actually true

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

+2 weeks after shot 2 of moderna and i notice my dick has grown to a slightly above-average length of 32 feet. anyone else?

Haven't noticed any shrinkage yet, no

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

Me after Pfizer dose 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-YPClimZE

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pohl posted:

I work at a homeless shelter and the staff is vaccinated and everyone just quit wearing masks
lol

lol yes. the entire staff here is vaxed and today we had staff meeting and nobody wore a mask cept me. anyways i think the mask is cool so it dont bug me. i dont wear it at my desk since i got an office and vape every 5 seconds but def in meetings at least until people start calling me a freak or something for it. which is what maybe 6 months out?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bullfrog posted:

lol

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Well if we're dealing with more virulent variants taking over then that is actually true

open up to find out more!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

TheSlutPit posted:

Has there ever been a disease that reached global pandemic levels where this wasn’t the case? I was looking into it recently and couldn’t find any major one that wasn’t either a) allowed to rip through the population until it burned itself out or b) effectively treated through pharmaceutical intervention (vaccines, antibiotics, etc). Obviously if we had achieved containment early on this could have been another SARS 1 but at this point I’m not sure there are any examples of another option historically.

encephalitis lethargica

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

shackleford posted:

encephalitis lethargica

That poo poo is terrifying to read about.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

COVID-19 lockdowns show reduced pollution on snow and ice in the Indus River Basin posted:

Melting snow and ice supply water for nearly 2 billion people [J. S. Mankin, D. Viviroli, D. Singh, A. Y. Hoekstra, N. S. Diffenbaugh, Environ. Res. Lett. 10, 114016 (2015)]. The Indus River in South Asia alone supplies water for over 300 million people [S. I. Khan, T. E. Adams, “Introduction of Indus River Basin: Water security and sustainability” in Indus River Basin, pp. 3−16 (2019)]. When light-absorbing particles (LAP) darken the snow/ice surfaces, melt is accelerated, affecting the timing of runoff. In the Indus, dust and black carbon degrade the snow/ice albedos [S. M. Skiles, M. Flanner, J. M. Cook, M. Dumont, T. H. Painter, Nat. Clim. Chang. 8, 964−971 (2018)]. During the COVID-19 lockdowns of 2020, air quality visibly improved across cities worldwide, for example, Delhi, India, potentially reducing deposition of dark aerosols on snow and ice. Mean values from two remotely sensed approaches show 2020 as having one of the cleanest snow/ice surfaces on record in the past two decades. A 30% LAP reduction in the spring and summer of 2020 affected the timing of 6.6 km3 of melt water. It remains to be seen whether there will be significant reductions in pollution post−COVID-19, but these results offer a glimpse of the link between pollution and the timing of water supply for billions of people. By causing more solar radiation to be reflected, cleaner snow/ice could mitigate climate change effects by delaying melt onset and extending snow cover duration.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
That brief period of half-assed global lockdown last March and April was the first break our planet and its biosphere has gotten from our loving species in at least two centuries.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Los Angeles county going to move to yellow tier this week

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

shackleford posted:

encephalitis lethargica

ok I read the wikipedia page and it’s really hosed up but seems to just fall under the “killed people until it burned out” category

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Steve Yun posted:

Los Angeles county going to move to yellow tier this week

is this going to lead to lines outside of bars to get inside lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you already had the sinovac, would you want to get an mRNA vaccine, if you had the opportunity? what would the effects be?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

if you already had the sinovac, would you want to get an mRNA vaccine, if you had the opportunity? what would the effects be?

Absolutely. probably better protection against newer variants including the B1617 Indian variant

Side effects might include smug sense of superiority

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wamsutta posted:

my idiot state is drat near under the 10 per 100k case mark. Just over 3% today and Tuesday's always the highest of the week. I feel like things are gonna be more or less 'normal' here until the fall and then knows what will happen

I don't know what to make of testing in our stupid dumb state, to be honest. Anecdotally, I know two people (not yet fully vaxxed) who've had their PCPs tell them not to get tests when they had symptoms that should have been suspicious. One of them ended up testing positive and the other didn't go to get tested. I also know a lot of people who are still doing weekly mandatory testing. I believe that we're probably holding things at a reasonably low level, but I also have a feeling our testing numbers don't entirely reflect the situation accurately.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Alberta has the highest per capita outbreak in Canada, no wait, North America! congrats assholes. Premier says “Gee, we should do something about that” (they won’t)

https://twitter.com/cbcfletch/status/1388616713017565188?s=21

it’s just the flu!

https://twitter.com/dshepyeg/status/1389768819128737794?s=21

loving shut the BC border keep those assholes at home.

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 03:36 on May 5, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

gently caress YOU KNOW NOTHING MOTHERFUCKRR

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

euphronius posted:

I’m glad another neoliberal wealth force may be disabled

It'll probably be like Jeff Bezos and Mackenzie Whatsis - they'll get divorced, she'll start showing up at #7 on the top 10 wealthiest lists and he'll still be #1.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i am harry posted:

gently caress YOU KNOW NOTHING MOTHERFUCKRR

many sides, some sides just happen to be well out of their lane.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

etalian posted:

Ha what a bunch of pricks !

I know getting out of school for a snow day and building snowmen with my family was one of the simple pleasures growing up as a child.

We had snow earlier and the 2nd grade teacher just told the kids to go play in the snow while the third grade teacher made them keep on zearning.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Found out through the grapevine there was a positive covid case at the office but no mention of it from HR so I guess they're done telling us about it. I've noticed a lot less people in the office lately and now I know why.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

600k dead ok covid over - Open Biden next week

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nate not Fauci will be remembered for freeing us from the tyranny of liberals

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

nexous posted:

made some snickerdoodle thc cookies from my first legal AZ pot plant. suggest you all do the same and then seek therapy for doomerism

drat Astra Zeneca makes weed now?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vaxx ain't magic, shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

KaptainKrunk posted:

600k dead ok covid over - Open Biden next week

600,000 is in 11 days