Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Baseball is so soft and backwards.

Also: the only other sport where this event sort of happens is hockey. And at least those guys are allowed to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

PITCHER SALAMI

https://twitter.com/jgroc/status/1389743711060377605

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Also: the only other sport where this event sort of happens is hockey. And at least those guys are allowed to fight.

It's a COVID side effect, Manfred last year they were gonna drop the hammer on anyone starting poo poo since they didn't want teams mixing it up.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Popete posted:

Has there been an update on Kershaw, was he in pain or something? Even after giving up 4 runs kinda odd to pull him after the 1st on a day when you have a double header.

Sounds like he's fine. https://www.mlb.com/news/clayton-kershaw-makes-shortest-career-start-vs-cubs The Dodgers have been babying some of their pitchers this year, in terms of workload. They don't use Kenley Jansen in back to back games, for example.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's a COVID side effect, Manfred last year they were gonna drop the hammer on anyone starting poo poo since they didn't want teams mixing it up.

Well that's dumb. All of these guys should be vaxxed so they can fight for my amusement.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Presented with only one comment: lmao, Angel Hernandez folks.
https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/942dcba3-44fc-4df8-9bea-8ae64f0a0c01.mp4

edit: lmfao, it was his fault!
https://twitter.com/notcodyk/status/1389753112387272705

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 5, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
wait Huascar Ynoa did what

drat he did not get cheated either, that's out in almost any park

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
What

https://twitter.com/MattGelb/status/1389753046503239682

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i've never heard of this happening before and that's the second time that's happened this season already (brewers did it against the cubs).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i've never heard of this happening before and that's the second time that's happened this season already (brewers did it against the cubs).

Possibly a brainfart from seeing 25 names on the lineup card and not remembering you've got 26 players on the MLB roster these days? Yeesh.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Over in NHL land, Tom Wilson suplexed a dude face first into the ice and only got a 5K fine

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

https://twitter.com/gcannady/status/898301613709737985

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Over in NHL land, Tom Wilson suplexed a dude face first into the ice and only got a 5K fine

Yeah, but it's not like he's ever been suspended for 20 games for blindsiding Oskar Sundqvist's head during a pre-season game. I guess these days that'd only get him fined 5k.

Also, didn't Wilson only get the fine for punching Buchnevich and not actually get anything for suplexing Panarin? To bring this back to baseball, I guess he's got that child-groomer Roger Clemens mojo of being able to throw a bat at someone he beaned and not get in any real trouble for it.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 5, 2021

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I know starting pitchers get seven-game suspensions as the equivalent of a one-game so they’re actually forced to miss a start and the team can’t be tricky, but is the same practice used for bullpen dudes?

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, but it's not like he's ever been suspended for 20 games for blindsiding Oskar Sundqvist's head during a pre-season game. I guess these days that'd only get him fined 5k.

Also, didn't Wilson only get the fine for punching Buchnevich and not actually get anything for suplexing Panarin? To bring this back to baseball, I guess he's got that child-groomer Roger Clemens mojo of being able to throw a bat at someone he beaned and not get in any real trouble for it.

It isn't really useful to compare the sports, the problem is that the NHL management is full of fat old Canadian guys who grew up on leaded gasoline and love brain injuries.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I know that Dustin May needing Tommy John surgery is the big story in this Fangraph article...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/dustin-mays-breakthrough-cut-short-by-tommy-john-surgery/

...but I'd like to point out these two graphics...

What the gently caress are the Padres, Brewers, and Yankees doing to their pitchers???

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs and dodgers just played an insane, epic 9-inning game that was considered "extras" because it was the second game of a double-header. Probably the best ad for the new formats, it was insane and intense for 3 full innings with a bunch of last-second homers and gutsy pitching performances. I'm still not sold.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Put him in the Hall

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
lol at the arbitrary age cutoff.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

in my opinion it should be ILLEGAL for mark prior to make mound visits at wrigley field without the broadcast giving me WRITTEN WARNING that he is the dodger's pitcher coach before every series

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Salvor_Hardin posted:

lol at the arbitrary age cutoff.
All age cutoffs are arbitrary if you think about it

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

R.D. Mangles posted:

in my opinion it should be ILLEGAL for mark prior to make mound visits at wrigley field without the broadcast giving me WRITTEN WARNING that he is the dodger's pitcher coach before every series

Lmao, is this real?

*looks it up on Google*

Lmao, it is!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There was a website with the "NHL Wheel of Justice" where you'd spin a wheel of fortune and it'd land on any punishment from "hockey play" to "season suspension." You could switch it into playoff mode, which meant half the spaces were "hockey play" and the max suspension was 2 games.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs and dodgers just played an insane, epic 9-inning game that was considered "extras" because it was the second game of a double-header. Probably the best ad for the new formats, it was insane and intense for 3 full innings with a bunch of last-second homers and gutsy pitching performances. I'm still not sold.
The zombie runner didn’t even matter. In every inning where the zombie scored, he scored for both teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/LaVelleNeal/status/1389781948575461377

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The A's have the best record in baseball, and a negative run differential

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Spoeank posted:

All age cutoffs are arbitrary if you think about it

you're gonna wake up to so many job offers from libertarian thinktanks

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

elentar posted:

you're gonna wake up to so many job offers from libertarian thinktanks

Either that or I wake up as a mod

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Spoeank posted:

:drat:

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Angel Hernandez still sucking reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htcE_vvZxg
which made me look up how long Chip Caray has been broadcasting and he's way older than I thought he was.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

The A's have the best record in baseball, and a negative run differential

Baseball rules

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

oof da

Apr 7, 2003

Spoeank posted:

lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I know that Dustin May needing Tommy John surgery is the big story in this Fangraph article...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/dustin-mays-breakthrough-cut-short-by-tommy-john-surgery/

...but I'd like to point out these two graphics...

What the gently caress are the Padres, Brewers, and Yankees doing to their pitchers???

The Yankees can't keep their position players healthy either.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Spoeank posted:

holy poo poo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

:lol:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

lol

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
lol, mods won't stand for the rabble poking at mods. Free Spoeank.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Spoeank posted:

Shameful probe, this is a good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Coward rear end probe