Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

RadicalTranslation posted:

I hate how expensive Switch games are.

I wish I wasn't poor lol

Download demos, they are cool and fun as long as you go in knowing you shouldn’t buy them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

hatty posted:

Risk of Rain doesn't have enough downtime for me. Constantly being pelted by offscreen fireballs, there's no post combat chill like in Isaac or Gungeon. Cant really get into it

Fuckin love hearing this in gungeon

https://youtu.be/0_v_iicT8xM

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RadicalTranslation posted:

I hate how expensive Switch games are.

I wish I wasn't poor lol

At least I can replay Rabbids for the third time (which is the only game I own on Switch); but I really love the art and soundtrack so it's always a delight.

Yeah, Nintendo first party games are basically like paying the apple tax

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pokemon Snap really nailed the "oh wow" moments. The misty forest was fun.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Frankston posted:

I got Risk of Rain 2 in the sale, wow what a hot pile of steaming, poorly designed, dull dogshit. I'd be furious if I'd paid full price.

Comfortably the worst video game I've played in several years.

I’m afraid I have to agree, this game stinks. I’m either getting killed by an endless stream of enemies on normal or steamrolling everything on easy. Bad map design, bad graphics, not fun.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bruceski posted:

Pokemon Snap really nailed the "oh wow" moments. The misty forest was fun.
It's a little slow at the start, making you play the exact same level like 6 times in a row while watching cutscenes and tutorials every step of the way, but once you unlock your full arsenal it's great. It's wild to me how they were able to accurately recapture the feeling of the first game with regards to exploration and new experiences.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

It's a little slow at the start, making you play the exact same level like 6 times in a row while watching cutscenes and tutorials every step of the way, but once you unlock your full arsenal it's great. It's wild to me how they were able to accurately recapture the feeling of the first game with regards to exploration and new experiences.

I shitpost a lot about it but my partner talked me into splitting the cost with her

It's god drat adorable but yeah replaying the levels while the game drip feeds you tools is definitely a drag

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Snap seems overpriced, if you ask me.

Was good as a weekend retail when blockbusters was around, dunno I'd ever thing it was worth $60 now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Good thing it's New Pokemon Snap then, which is a different video game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
"This thing that I've never played seems overpriced, if you ask me" -guy who absolutely no one asked

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

American McGay posted:

"This thing that I've never played seems overpriced, if you ask me" -guy who absolutely no one asked

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Good thing it's New Pokemon Snap then, which is a different video game

Is it though?

Is it really?

The major draw is that it's the sequel to the game you remembered as a kid, and unless it lets you walk around in an open world taking photos, it's not worth $60+ now, and wasn't worth $60 then either.

Totally worth $10 for a weekend, though. At least the old game was.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it though?

Is it really?
Yeah it is. Okay good talk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it though?

Is it really?

The major draw is that it's the sequel to the game you remembered as a kid, and unless it lets you walk around in an open world taking photos, it's not worth $60+ now, and wasn't worth $60 then either.

You're looking for a different game there, mate. If they made it open world they'd really need to trim down on the variety and ways things can interact. It's all on rails, all scripted, and if you can leave the rails the illusion breaks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bruceski posted:

You're looking for a different game there, mate. If they made it open world they'd really need to trim down on the variety and ways things can interact. It's all on rails, all scripted, and if you can leave the rails the illusion breaks.

I told you we needed locking mechanisms on the vehicle doors!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't think I'd be interested in New Pokemon Snap if it weren't on-rails. That's a specific part of the appeal for me, that you're basically going on a rollercoaster ride and gawking out the window at nature. If it was open world it wouldn't be pokemon snap.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Literal on-rails gameplay makes sense either in 1999 when the same era was doing on-rails gameplay for other things, or like, when arcades were still around.

Not 22 years later and for $60. :20bux: is the best I can do.

Open world hunting down pokemon, trying to find the best shot possible, while avoiding dangerous interactions? Sign me up. Like photographing lions in africa or w/e

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Yeah it is. Okay good talk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I told you we needed locking mechanisms on the vehicle doors!

The first Illumina Pokemon covered that feeling pretty well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:Melbourne Ausgoons:siren:

The Target store on Bourke St is closing down and they're liquidating their gaming stock at 50% across the board. Switch Lites and Xbox controllers are gone, but take a look if you're in the area and grab what you can while the grabbing's good.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I finished Mario Sunshine. I got all the Regular Stage Shines, and quite a few extra ones and finished with a total of 70 shines. I finally found the Lily Rafting and Pachinko level. Pachinko actually feels very possible but it's also bullshit so I'm not going to bother, Rafting however HA! no. If it weren't a complete hassle to unlock the level maybe I'd bother but nope. Kinda let down by Corona Mountain being the one stage. Again, the game's design is oftentimes lacking. I'm REALLY looking forward to Galaxy, which I actually may 100% if it's fun enough. I borrowed it for the Wii many years ago, and since I tend to return those to friends quickly, I don't like being the person who borrows things for months on in, I think I blew through it a bit too fast.

---

Also, I bought Monster Hunter Rise, because my friend thinks we can have a good time going at it together (same friend who got me to buy Pokémon Sword). I'm a bit ambivalent but I love playing online with him so I hope it'll be good. I'll boot it up proper tonight.

When I tried the demo I tried the guns and the bow, and the Battle Horn. I kinda liked that one. Am I making a mistake? Not to the deluge the thread, but is the main MH thread the place to go for info? And also who is the youtuber people recommend watching, and if possible, if someone knows of good guides that are text-based send me that way because I prefer reading things 1000x over hearing and watching someone telling me stuff.

The horn has never been easier to get into, and you’ll always be a welcome hunter in online public games. But really, all weapons are viable in every hunt, so don’t be afraid to fool around with all the different types till you find one you like. Play whatever is most fun to you!

Unrelated, but I just bought Steins;Gate Elite because I heard it’s a must play for someone looking to get into VNs. I’ve only played Phoenix Wright on the DS ages ago, and 13 Sentinels recently. I’m enjoying it, but when does it really start to pick up?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Literal on-rails gameplay makes sense either in 1999 when the same era was doing on-rails gameplay for other things, or like, when arcades were still around.

Open world hunting down pokemon, trying to find the best shot possible, while avoiding dangerous interactions? Sign me up. Like photographing lions in africa or w/e

These forums are on rails and I held ZR to get past this post.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Open World Pokemon Snap sounds completely freaking badass.

A minimap, navigation towers, and procedurally generated sidequests? did I detect a whiff of Dark Souls influences? Let's loving goooooooo

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pokemon Snap is a rental

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol at people who haven't played it and have absolutely no idea what they're talking about wrt the new pokemon snap. This game is immense. I've been working away at it all weekend and I've completed 64 out of over 200 photo requests. I've gotten all 4 photo categories for like a quarter of all the Pokemon in the game. This is a really big puzzle game and it is hard. You will not be fully completing it in the time of a rental and it is absolutely worth the full price.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Regy Rusty posted:

Lol at people who haven't played it and have absolutely no idea what they're talking about wrt the new pokemon snap. This game is immense. I've been working away at it all weekend and I've completed 64 out of over 200 photo requests. I've gotten all 4 photo categories for like a quarter of all the Pokemon in the game. This is a really big puzzle game and it is hard. You will not be fully completing it in the time of a rental and it is absolutely worth the full price.
Nah it should be an open world safari game :colbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

Knowing Nintendo it would rain fifty percent of the time.

The shrines would just be two hundred different ways to photograph only Pikachu. :v:

Having Beedle be a huge insect Pokemon fan would be cool though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

How many times do you have to do the same *checks notes* 11 stages to do the same content over again slightly differently?

The number 1 complaint I read online is that there isn't enough stage variety

Granted, the old one had 6 maps, but I can't really be convinced that doubling the amount of maps of the old one and having more pokemon to snap changes the fact that the fundamentals about the game are still restricted to a pre-planned out car ride and that itself is completely boring.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 5, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It’s embarrassing to talk about the value for money of a video game, like it was a washing machine or a pair of jeans. It’s gauche and consumerist.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

American McGay posted:

Breath of the Wild is right there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

nrook posted:

It’s embarrassing to talk about the value for money of a video game, like it was a washing machine or a pair of jeans. It’s gauche and consumerist.

Yeah, washing machines and jeans actually come complete when you buy them.

(At least until some bastard figures out how to implement a recurring fee for an online connected one a la vehicle options)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Walla posted:

Breath of the Wild is right there.

Breakable Master Sword :sweep:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just admit you don't like the game (totally fair opinion) and move on, instead of for some reason trying to convince people that actually like the game that the game should be a completely different style of game instead.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm enjoying new snap so far but gently caress you if you wouldn't want an open world game where you go out and track down pokemon to photograph

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

I'm enjoying new snap so far but gently caress you if you wouldn't want an open world game where you go out and track down pokemon to photograph

I don't want this game because I know it wouldn't be given enough time or money to do the concept justice.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Breakable Master Sword :sweep:

Has nothing to do with taking pictures?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Snap seems overpriced, if you ask me.

Was good as a weekend retail when blockbusters was around, dunno I'd ever thing it was worth $60 now

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it though?

Is it really?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How many times do you have to do the same *checks notes* 11 stages to do the same content over again slightly differently?

The number 1 complaint I read online is that there isn't enough stage variety

Granted, the old one had 6 maps, but I can't really be convinced that doubling the amount of maps of the old one and having more pokemon to snap changes the fact that the fundamentals about the game are still restricted to a pre-planned out car ride and that itself is completely boring.

Oh word?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

I genuinely don't believe a company exists that could make this game and make it good. The amount of care and detail put into every level, every behavior, every interaction in the new Snap simply would not be possible in an open world game with current technology.

The entire point of Snap is to replay levels to solve puzzles. It is a puzzle game, that is what it is, and that is what I want. It's even way more complex and difficult than I had imagined which was a very welcome surprise. It doesn't need to be anything else because it's already got so so much in it as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don’t want Pokemon snap to be an open world game because open world games are generally garbage.