Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
First pregnant Egyptian mummy surprises researchers

It's a boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pfft mummies have children all the time :rolleyes:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Mummy milky

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's amore

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

When there's an eel in your rear end
And the docs give you sass

Phy posted:

That's amore

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/ScienceNews/status/1387830788792754177

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:rip:GAMER DEATH:rip:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

F

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cartoon Man posted:

Died doing what he loved.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Shouldn't've died in the game, what a noob

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If only he had pressed X

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"Not like this. Not like this"
- his last thoughts

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Camera Flips around to a Mario Bros 1 Game over screen.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
Farmer moves border stone for tractor – and makes Belgium bigger

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's how it starts, next thing you know it's colonialist mercs coming to enslave the population to harvest precious rubber!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

By popular demand posted:

That's how it starts, next thing you know it's colonialist mercs coming to enslave the population to harvest precious rubber!
Oh no, France's strategic Michelin reserve!

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009

I'm liking this new teaser for Victoria 3.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

France is ancestral, righteous Belgian clayrubber

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1389721716943904771

https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1389628775185354759

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I tried to find more about that bear, and, uh.

https://twitter.com/TagtheBear/status/975921101271220224

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/OutOfContextLOI/status/1389559937236357121

I would blow Dane Cook has a new favorite as of 04:10 on May 5, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Twitter embedding fucks this up and you really need to see the whole thing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Cox standing proud when a bear self cares.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/emily_hoeven/status/1389633623398232065

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Bears often get hot and bothered when Cox' around.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

These gender reveal parties have gone too far.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1389515117348413441

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I had a mental image of the squid being a local attraction to look at but when I got to the article it turned out it's a local delicacy, now I can't look at this squid without hearing a Kermit the Frog voice going: "AHHH They're trying to eat me AHHHH" while the poor thing flaps its tentacles wildly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thousands of blue locusts descend on Egypt, devouring crops and people indiscriminately.

Sir Lemming posted:

It's a boy!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

Twitter embedding fucks this up and you really need to see the whole thing.

Thank you for your efforts. I wasn’t gonna a click the to Twitter, and I had a good chuckle at this image.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

I had a mental image of the squid being a local attraction to look at but when I got to the article it turned out it's a local delicacy, now I can't look at this squid without hearing a Kermit the Frog voice going: "AHHH They're trying to eat me AHHHH" while the poor thing flaps its tentacles wildly.

:lol: I can picture this way too well

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

"What if the bear starts playing with its dingus?"
"Don't be silly."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graham Burke's goal was actually pretty drat impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeV8HzgTdyw

Aung San Suu Kyi's fall from Human Rights Hero to genocidal tyrant - not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkrbwFP6Ew4

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2021/05/05/florida-teen-homecoming-conspiracy

headline buries the poo poo out of the lede, which is she violated a fuckton of laws protecting PII to rig the vote

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elviscat posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2021/05/05/florida-teen-homecoming-conspiracy

headline buries the poo poo out of the lede, which is she violated a fuckton of laws protecting PII to rig the vote
Ahaha. "She's going to jail for rigging the prom vote at the school her mom works for, by using her mom's access to school records to fake votes by entering student details into a third party voting application, btw even before this she'd being doing illegal stuff with her mom's access (with her mom's permission) for years can you believe it?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

2024 Presidential candidate for the Republicans?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This Worm Has 100 :butts:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Splicer posted:

Ahaha. "She's going to jail for rigging the prom vote at the school her mom works for, by using her mom's access to school records to fake votes by entering student details into a third party voting application, btw even before this she'd being doing illegal stuff with her mom's access (with her mom's permission) for years can you believe it?"

She's apparently being charged as an adult despite it all being overseen by mom. :geno:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I know what you guys want and that you don't have the time, so I did the needful:

quote:

In Greek mythology, the hydra is a creature with many heads. In Norse mythology, Odin rides Sleipnir—a horse with many legs. And in the warm, coastal waters of Australia lives Ramisyllis multicaudata, the worm with many butts.

The creature is shaped somewhat like a tree, with a single head and a body that branches over and over again, each bifurcation gifted with its very own anus. Now, new research on the innards of this mysterious, multi-bottomed beast reveals that it’s even stranger on the inside.

Ramisyllis and one other related branching worm—Syllis—are found exclusively within the pores and canals inside marine sponges. They place their head somewhere near the sponge’s base and run their branched body through tunnels, extending to the outside of the sponge. M. Teresa Aguado, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Göttingen in Germany, and her colleagues think the worm’s forked figure is perfectly adapted for life in this Swiss cheese labyrinth. The branched body wouldn’t be suitable for swimming around in the outside ocean waters.

“However, living inside the sponge, the animal is protected, and explores the canals and easily moves inside,” said Aguado.

While scientists had gathered some understanding of Ramisyllis’ external anatomy since its discovery in 2006, little was known about how the worm’s insides were put together. So, Aguado and a team of researchers from Australia, Spain, and Germany found wild sponges containing the one-worm tangles and brought them into the lab.

There, the researchers used a combination of different imaging strategies to examine the worms and their porous abodes. They used a 3D X-ray method to see how Ramisyllis is arranged within its sponge host. The team also dissected the worms out of the sponges and used different types of microscopes to peer into Ramisyllis’ insides.

Their results—published recently in the Journal of Morphology—revealed that the worms’ rear ends are legion.

“We were able to count more than 500 [branches] in one specimen, but we think that they can easily reach 1,000,” said Aguado.

The team also found that the worms’ branching is well beyond skin deep. Incredibly, every time Ramisyllis forks itself, all the internal organs divide, too: The gut, the nerves, everything splits and runs the length of the branch. This also creates a unique, muscular band or “bridge” that threads between the organs every time the critter splits. These bridges can visually demarcate Ramisyllis’ main trunk, which is pretty useful when you’re observing an animal shaped like a tumbleweed.

The farther you get away from the head, the weirder the worm gets. Aguado and her colleagues were able to closely examine the tips of the branches, which are crucial for the species’ reproduction.

When Ramisyllis decides it’s time to procreate, its abundance of wandering derrières go through a transformation. The branch ends basically convert into genitals, filling with eggs or sperm. These reproductive units (or “stolons”) grow eyes and their own brains. When mature, the stolons detach and swim away, their freshly acquired “head” and eyes steering them to mate with stolons of the opposite sex. What started as a wriggling snarl of buttholes becomes a swarm of autonomous, sex-seeking torpedoes.

Non-branching worms in same family as Ramisyllis also use stolons in a similar manner, Aguado points out. But Ramisyllis is unique in the sheer volume of its carnal armada, thanks to its many hundreds of body branches.

Alexander Tzetlin, an invertebrate zoologist at Moscow State University in Russia who was not involved with this study, lauds the research, noting the obstacles in studying animals like Ramisyllis.

“In many cases, marine annelid [worms] are a very difficult object for research and observation, because they lead a secretive lifestyle,” said Tzetlin. “They live in shelters in pipes, burrows, or they simply dig in the thickness of the sediment, almost never appearing on the surface.”

Tzetlin also points out one big remaining mystery with Ramisyllis: its diet. No food has ever been found inside the worms’ intestines, just empty visceral real estate. It’s particularly baffling in an animal so ludicrously rich in anuses. There’s an awful lot of digestive infrastructure here to be building intestines to nowhere.

“We don’t know how this animal keeps its huge body having only one minute mouth,” says Aguado. “It may use the organic material in water that goes inside the [sponge] canals due to the currents generated by the sponge.”

Previous research showed that Ramisyllis has lots of long, microscopic extensions from its outer covering. These may absorb nutrients straight from the water.

Aguado says she and her colleagues are designing experiments to address this feeding question. The team is also investigating how genes are expressed in different parts of the worm’s branching body and in its relatives, gaining insight into how a creature with but one rear gave rise to Ramisyllis’ majestic bramble of butts.

Mods pls change my name to Carnal Armada kthx.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 06:28 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll settle for Majestic Bramble of Butts