Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Pretzellogic posted:

Anyone else come across dozens of Sing Along With Mitch albums, or is that just in my locality?

One of the banks in my town gave away these Mitch Miller Christmas records in the 60s or 70s. I can't recall the last time I was crate digging at Savers and didn't see at least one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

IG-88 posted:

This is it boys, this is the week Amazon ships the Mars Volta box set

From the sets that I've seen come in, the stuff from Cloud Hill gets the uber treatment. Full foam packing that supports it inside the box so the boxset doesnt even touch the outer box. Knowing Amazon, they'll remove the boxsets from the cloudhill packaging and toss them into an inappropriately sized amazon box with two strips of air bubble packets.

godspeed!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is Tin Machine any good?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Is Tin Machine any good?

I liked them but not one of his very best. Some of the songs still come to mind out of nowhere on a rare occasion. Not like his last album, but still.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 3, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Is Tin Machine any good?

The first one is really good I think, second not quite as much. Except tin machine II has Shopping For Girls which is an all timer. If you can find any bootlegs listen to them, they kinda rocked live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWif1zHsAA

Here’s a version that’s just Bowie and Reeves that’s one of my favorite things ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFzOdGzUiN4

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 3, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

The first one is really good I think, second not quite as much. Except tin machine II has Shopping For Girls which is an all timer. If you can find any bootlegs listen to them, they kinda rocked live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWif1zHsAA

Here’s a version that’s just Bowie and Reeves that’s one of my favorite things ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFzOdGzUiN4

Bus Stop. Goodbye, Mr. Ed. Those are a couple of my favorites. The band was really good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bowie could have been singing about probably any number of personal acquaintances or friends when he wrote Shopping for Girls.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
In case anyone else here bought the Pikachu weed record, I reached out to TBT instead of complaining about it on reddit. They assured me that it would be fulfilled as advertised, same cover art and pokeball vinyl and everything.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

internet celebrity posted:

In case anyone else here bought the Pikachu weed record, I reached out to TBT instead of complaining about it on reddit. They assured me that it would be fulfilled as advertised, same cover art and pokeball vinyl and everything.

Was this record really just that Air record slowed down or is there more to it?

In other news I had kinda forgot about this https://needlejuicerecords.com/product/gizzarddemos/ and just got a shipping notification. Stoked.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

sporklift posted:

Was this record really just that Air record slowed down or is there more to it?

That's pretty much it but in essence, isn't that just all vaporwave in general?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

That's pretty much it but in essence, isn't that just all vaporwave in general?

I dunno. I kinda thought poo poo was chopped up and maybe had stuff added to it. Didn't know I could just let my finger drag on an album and have a vaperwave classic. Pretty ballsy to just slow down a popular album and sell it. Guess that's why the low print runs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Slowed down music reminds me of the other day when I accidentally played something too fast.

Went from “wow this is heavier than I thought” to “what’s up with this chipmunk guy.”

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

sporklift posted:

I dunno. I kinda thought poo poo was chopped up and maybe had stuff added to it. Didn't know I could just let my finger drag on an album and have a vaperwave classic. Pretty ballsy to just slow down a popular album and sell it. Guess that's why the low print runs

My understanding is that it is ~10 second clips of Moon Safari slowed down and then looped several times for a few minutes each. It is incredibly low effort from what I listened to on Bandcamp.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Here's a few of the weird records I've found at thrift stores over the years.

Test records! I can't leave them on the shelf.

This last one actually has the coolest looking grooves I've ever seen. Suitable for framing.

Learning to code used to mean something different...

Obligatory tribute.avi soundtrack

And last but not least, the new Howling Wolf album

I just scared the absolute poo poo out of my cats with it and my neighbors probably think I'm a furry.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
why did morse code need a designated shorthand for "old man"

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

abraham linksys posted:

why did morse code need a designated shorthand for "old man"

And since it was apparently the same morse code as for "zero," how could anybody tell if the morse operator was calling their old man a total zero?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Apparently old man is the nickname for the operator on the other side of the transmission.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seeing Morse Code always gives me flashbacks to my most hated round in "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Make up an album where you play all those sounds at the wrong speed and maybe half assedly add some kind of lovely synth noises and you'll have a bunch of assholes wanting to shell out 50 bucks for it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Make up an album where you play all those sounds at the wrong speed and maybe half assedly add some kind of lovely synth noises and you'll have a bunch of assholes wanting to shell out 50 bucks for it.

That's what I'm talking about

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have a thing I found at Savers that's a few big flexi discs in a folder thing that's all bird sounds. I'm too lazy to take a picture of it so just take my word for it. Back when they didn't have the loving audacity to charge four dollars for their old crap I just grabbed sound effects records when I saw them. They had a bunch of cool ones recently but I loving refuse to pay like 20 bucks for a bunch of useless novelty poo poo I'll probably play around with once to twice.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You know, it's never mentioned ITT but all those "DJ mixers" that usually have two phono inputs, a crossfader and a mic input, etc., they should have half decent RIAA preamps for my purposes, right? I'm asking this thread because I was rummaging through some old crates and found an ATUS AM100, and just thinking what I might do with it. ATUS stands for Audio Technica US, IIRC. If I wanted to rip multiple old records quickly I could see using two phono inputs like this.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Sorry, duplicate

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

internet celebrity posted:

Thanks for the update, I spent too much time reading the threads when the shitstorm started and wondered if I'd ever see anything before the time to file a claim through paypal expired. I'll let this one go through and probably just avoid TBT in the future.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

dorium posted:

could be a number of things. could be left over grime from the plant in the grooves, static, or paper flakes from the sleeve. never hurts to give them a surface brush before dropping the needle. if a record is truly damaged though, despite being new (which happens with flat spots, misalignments during the press or the stamper is worn and over used) there is no real saving it.

I bought the cleaning kit recommended on the previous page. I used the nylon brush first, then a few sprays of cleaner and the velvet brush. I've listened to 4 brand new records and they all click and pop. Even after cleaning, when I shine a flashlight at a near horizontal angle I can see all sorts of dust.

Maybe my cleaning technique sucks? Is this just life? I can't imagine how any audiophile could prefer vinyl if it sounds like this. It's seriously impossible to enjoy concentrating on music with how frequently there are loud pops.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dantheman650 posted:

I bought the cleaning kit recommended on the previous page. I used the nylon brush first, then a few sprays of cleaner and the velvet brush. I've listened to 4 brand new records and they all click and pop. Even after cleaning, when I shine a flashlight at a near horizontal angle I can see all sorts of dust.

Maybe my cleaning technique sucks? Is this just life? I can't imagine how any audiophile could prefer vinyl if it sounds like this. It's seriously impossible to enjoy concentrating on music with how frequently there are loud pops.

You are correct, this is just life. The clicks and pops will increase logarithmically going forward. In all things.

BTW When this happened to me I replaced the needle. The record player ceased with the popping and clicking but my wife did not. Make of that what you will.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

petit choux posted:

You are correct, this is just life. The clicks and pops will increase logarithmically going forward. In all things.

BTW When this happened to me I replaced the needle. The record player ceased with the popping and clicking but my wife did not. Make of that what you will.

It's a brand new turntable I just got last week.

It doesn't make any sense to me because I've always heard many audiophiles prefer vinyl but I can't believe any audiophile would tolerate this level of popping. It's totally distracting. I don't mind a little bit of low background noise, but sharp pops take me completely out of the music.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dantheman650 posted:

It doesn't make any sense to me because I've always heard many audiophiles prefer vinyl but I can't believe any audiophile would tolerate this level of popping. It's totally distracting. I don't mind a little bit of low background noise, but sharp pops take me completely out of the music.

You need to provide more info if you want answers. Like what's your turntable, for starters. And is your needle actually clean. And I wasn't aware people were recommending those velvet brushes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I personally only recommend/use those velvet brushes after I have given a record a full liquid wash, just to brush any stuff that found its way onto the surface of the disc, off. Either a spin clean or a cheaper wet vacuum washing solution will do a batter job than just a wet brush.

The wet velvet brush I feel like just leaves a fair amount of the junk in the grooves instead of fully pulling it out.

dorium fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 5, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I brush off the surface right before playing with the back of my hand. Works pretty well

Edit: With records I bought new or old cleaned ones. I don’t gently caress with dirty old records because I have no way to deep clean them at the moment.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Y'all were talking about cute CDs the other day. Here's one I found while looking for cheap deals on Robyn Hitchcock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254967355104?hash=item3b5d3d16e0:g:pd0AAOSwrXFgkfl~

I still have my spindle of mini-CDs. And my friends are still just as astonished as they were 10 years ago when I stick one in a computer.

pwn posted:

I brush off the surface right before playing with the back of my hand. Works pretty well

Well there's your problem. Stop playing with the back of your hand and try to stay on task.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

petit choux posted:

You need to provide more info if you want answers. Like what's your turntable, for starters. And is your needle actually clean. And I wasn't aware people were recommending those velvet brushes.

I have a brand new Uturn Orbit Plus with a Ortofon OM5E cartridge. It must be clean because I've only played about 6 records on it, and all of them were new and shrinkwrapped.

I got this kit from a few pages ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

I started with just the nylon brush, but that didn't even come close to removing all the dust, so I used the velvet brush with the wet spray. I guess that helped a little but not enough.

dorium posted:

I personally only recommend/use those velvet brushes after I have given a record a full liquid wash, just to brush any stuff that found its way onto the surface of the disc, off. Either a spin clean or a cheaper wet vacuum washing solution will do a batter job than just a wet brush.

The wet velvet brush I feel like just leaves a fair amount of the junk in the grooves instead of fully pulling it out.

What is a full liquid wash and how do you do it?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

dantheman650 posted:

I have a brand new Uturn Orbit Plus with a Ortofon OM5E cartridge. It must be clean because I've only played about 6 records on it, and all of them were new and shrinkwrapped.

I got this kit from a few pages ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

I started with just the nylon brush, but that didn't even come close to removing all the dust, so I used the velvet brush with the wet spray. I guess that helped a little but not enough.

What is a full liquid wash and how do you do it?

either a Spin Clean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqFeqxegZD4

or a Squeaky Clean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbphnT1d-ys

Other people in the thread have their favorites, but these are the two products I've used in the past/currently use.

They wont solve the worst of the worst problems, but the get the job done for cleaning some records. The vacuum addition in the squeaky clean setup is just that bit of extra help to get your records real clean, but again its not 100% satisfaction guaranteed. there are far too many factors in play when it comes to records and pops in the playback. I have a copy of Danzig's first record where there's a big stretch of static in Mother for the first 30 seconds. its just unlistenable. a drat shame, but its like someone pushed gunk into the grooves real hard. I've cleaned it multiple times with fresh brushes and paid to have it vinyl flattened and Ultrasonically cleaned. Still no luck. Just mishandling of a record for years and that's what you end up with.

dorium fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 5, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

Wet cleaning is the only real way to clean a record. It's also worth noting that a lot of modern pressings are just dogshit because they're all about quantity not quality. For a variety of reasons this is the absolute worst time to start collecting records.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I think a solution of 70% distilled water, 30% rubbing alcohol (which is diluted also, usually) with the tiniest bit of dish detergent, like a drop in a gallon, sprayed on the vinyl in a fine mist, let it sit for a second, then manually spin the turntable holding a clean microfiber cloth gently against the vinyl. Allow to dry and then spin the turntable again and hold a new, dry microfiber against it. And clean your needle and check it with a magnifying glass. And if it is old or dirty vinyl the rules change a bit here.

ED: Should re-emphasize that you don't re-use your cloths here. I keep a pile of clean ones and a pile of dirty. Or I did when I was really ripping a lot of records. For personal use.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 5, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

I think a solution of 70% distilled water, 30% rubbing alcohol with the tiniest bit of dish detergent, like a drop in a half gallon, sprayed on the vinyl in a fine mist, let it sit for a second, then manually spin the turntable holding a clean microfiber cloth gently against the vinyl. Allow to dry and then spin the turntable again and hold a new, dry microfiber against it. And clean your needle and check it with a magnifying glass. And if it is old or dirty vinyl the rules change a bit here.

I'd probably give it a second rinse of plain water.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

I'd probably give it a second rinse of plain water.

Okay. I can do that going forward, or modify it anyway. I use this solution to clean heinously dirty old records, feel pretty good about the results. For really dirty ones I more or less soak the record for a few minutes, maybe do it more than once. I try to never re-use a cloth, generally.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LOL that's good. Turns out I have a Spin Clean. Whenever this room stops being littered with other projects I'll move on to the things that matter.

I have read that the spin-clean solution isn't cool, that some other home-made brew is better. Anybody know?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

^^^^^
I used a Spin Clean for years and I never had an issue with the cleaning fluid. I'm thinking the people making their own probably just want to avoid the expense. They also have concentrates you can add to a gallon of distilled water which I find to be the most economical solution. I don't know how it works with a Spin Clean and the thing about the official Spin Clean fluid is that it makes the junk you're washing off sink to the bottom of the tub.

petit choux posted:

Okay. I can do that going forward, or modify it anyway. I use this solution to clean heinously dirty old records, feel pretty good about the results. For really dirty ones I more or less soak the record for a few minutes, maybe do it more than once. I try to never re-use a cloth, generally.

In ye olden days when I did everything by hand I had one pad to scrub the cleaning fluid around, a second for the rinse, and then I'd have a cloth to dry with. I wouldn't polish the poo poo out of it with the drying cloth or anything. I'd just get the excess water off of it and then let it air dry. I eventually moved onto Spin Clean although I didn't do a second rinse with that incidentally. I currently have a vacuum machine and Jesus Christ do I wish I'd gotten this thing years ago.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

petit choux posted:

LOL that's good. Turns out I have a Spin Clean. Whenever this room stops being littered with other projects I'll move on to the things that matter.

I have read that the spin-clean solution isn't cool, that some other home-made brew is better. Anybody know?

I've used this DIY formula in the past to great results

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

I use this now

https://highend-electronics.com/products/chisto-easy-concentrate

You can make a gallon of it by dumping the concentrate in a gallon of distilled water

https://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJAudio-Vinyl-Zyme-Record-Cleaner-2-oz-Concentra-p/aat0001000.htm

used this one in the past, only stopped when i noticed weird globules growing in the bottles i kept it in. Decided it wasnt worth the risk even if other people said it was fine.