Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

cooking with an immersion circulator is great

it makes food look like wet socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that’s why you sear it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

occasionally I will have a sous vide steak and it is a guilty pleasure and a feast for the senses

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

it makes food look like wet socks

yeah good editing of my post to leave out the part where i talk about how it's one step in the cooking process

if you eat something out of the water bath without doing anything else to it, you're a bad cook

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what about eggs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

what about eggs

most sv eggs aren’t great either without some work because the white sets at a higher temperature than the yolk so if you pull them for the optimal yolk you get watery whites

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

cooking with an immersion circulator is great

the problem is that it's like. one step in a cooking process, not the end-all be-all like some people like to think. makes the best fuckin pork chops i swear to god

ya i do pork chops in it and then finish them in a frying pan. i use this seasoning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEu6z3L34v8

and its really good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Townsends is an A+ primo channel

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I haven’t made a meat pie in a while. I’ve been experimenting with mushrooms. mushrooms and TVP

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really hope this thread inherits the accepting vibe of the coffee thread, where people who obsessively measure every aspect of their brew get along with the savages genuinely enjoying their instant.

i've been cooking so much this last year. i was never really bad at it (as i can follow instruction and have tastebuds), but with proper practice i have gotten pleasingly esoteric with it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

I haven’t made a meat pie in a while. I’ve been experimenting with mushrooms. mushrooms and TVP

if you still eat dairy, i do a good mushroom galette

make a standard 3-2-1 pie dough (3 parts flour, 2 parts butter, 1 part water, by weight, plus a pinch of salt). wrap it up in a ball, and refrigerate.

in a pot, melt some butter and cook a bunch of different kinds of mushrooms. you can use anything that you like, chopped to similar sizes. add a bunch of fresh thyme. salt and pepper to taste. once you've reduced the mushrooms and have a browned, cooked-down mass, remove from heat. stir it a goodly amount of quality sour cream (sour cream is one of the ingredients i don't compromise on because there's actually a huge difference in flavour between lovely and good sour cream) to make a spreadable filling.

take your pie dough and roll it out into a rough circle about an 1/8 of an inch thick. spread your filling out on top, leaving a few inches from the edge on all sides. fold the pie dough over top, leaving the centre open (a hole about the size of your fist). it's the dough will overlap and that's fine. brush all the exposed dough with an egg wash, including in between the folds if possible.

bake in a hot oven (around 400F or so) until the crust is golden brown

this is great served with a selection of vegetables and a dollop of sour cream on top.

you can also use the filling in other things, like a layer in lasagna or as a ravioli filling.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i really hope this thread inherits the accepting vibe of the coffee thread, where people who obsessively measure every aspect of their brew get along with the savages genuinely enjoying their instant.

i've been cooking so much this last year. i was never really bad at it (as i can follow instruction and have tastebuds), but with proper practice i have gotten pleasingly esoteric with it.

that's awesome.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

mediaphage posted:

you can use tvp, finely chopped nuts, beans, or some combination of the above to replace the meat.

the absolute biggest thing you can do to make a good chili is to grind your chili powder fresh by buying good dried chiles and whole cumin.

bulgar wheat is good too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mediaphage posted:

if you still eat dairy, i do a good mushroom galette

make a standard 3-2-1 pie dough (3 parts flour, 2 parts butter, 1 part water, by weight, plus a pinch of salt). wrap it up in a ball, and refrigerate.

this sounds good as hell

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i made chicken and pastry last night. i make it about once a month or so and it's so god dammed good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTcN5boMueE

i like to add more carrots, onion, and celery to it so it's more soup-like though. and sometimes i put egg in the pastry

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

this sounds good as hell

you can replace the mushrooms with caramelized onions (leaving everything else the same) and have an equally delicious end result

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the most cooking I really do is heating up a can of soup. I’m terminally helpless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

yeah good editing of my post to leave out the part where i talk about how it's one step in the cooking process

how does it feel to get so owned

Silver Alicorn posted:

the most cooking I really do is heating up a can of soup. I’m terminally helpless

it's fine. cooking is overrated.

if I could flick a switch so I never needed to eat again I'd be fine.

eating is a burden and good tasting food is either bad for me or requires too much effort or money

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Silver Alicorn posted:

didn't you make a beef wellington fairly recently

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

how does it feel to get so owned

it's fine. cooking is overrated.

if I could flick a switch so I never needed to eat again I'd be fine.

eating is a burden and good tasting food is either bad for me or requires too much effort or money

lol ok

just go drink some soylent then i guess

good food doesn’t have to be super complicated or really bad for you.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also if you really don't enjoy food maybe notice how "food" is the only word in the thread title when you strip away the bits which idiotically repeat the name of the subforum and inform us that this thread is indeed a thread rather than, idk, a dinosaur.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

lol ok

just go drink some soylent then i guess

good food doesn’t have to be super complicated or really bad for you.

soylent wouldn’t satisfy me

it’s not that i don’t like food, i do, that’s the problem. not being a piece of poo poo food wise is very difficult. people who don’t have a problem with food are like people who have never tried drugs telling heroin addicts that sunshine and a cold shower are all you need to feel good. i have a problem with food. in my fantasy world the solution to this problem is i never desire food again and never have to eat

but in this reality, having to eat is a burden because i never want food that’s good for me so i have to go against all my feelings an desires and make choices i don’t want to make just to survive: ugh

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

graph posted:

caesar is the best salad

it’s actually chicken salad with curry added but caesar is close.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

margheritas are fine as a snack next to a peroni but if you expect me to split a 12" marg for dinner we're gonna be pickin up chicken nuggets or chalupas at like 10:17 PM

this is such beautiful truth.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fuckin hungry now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

soylent wouldn’t satisfy me

it’s not that i don’t like food, i do, that’s the problem. not being a piece of poo poo food wise is very difficult. people who don’t have a problem with food are like people who have never tried drugs telling heroin addicts that sunshine and a cold shower are all you need to feel good. i have a problem with food. in my fantasy world the solution to this problem is i never desire food again and never have to eat

but in this reality, having to eat is a burden because i never want food that’s good for me so i have to go against all my feelings an desires and make choices i don’t want to make just to survive: ugh

lol if you're trying to suggest i've never had a problem with food. i used to weigh nearly a hundred pounds more than i do now, so i get it. it doesn't mean i don't still enjoy cooking and eating, though. i just do less of it (especially doughnuts)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i sort of get finding food annoying but it really is one of the yardsticks of human culture and civilisation and leaning into it is very satisfying in many respects

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
in fact if you cook your own food you can make (comparatively at least) healthy meals that you actually want to eat

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

I need to learn to make a good vegan chili

I like this one. I am not a big mushroom fan so I use either lentils or tvp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSXA2LYQud4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

lol if you're trying to suggest i've never had a problem with food. i used to weigh nearly a hundred pounds more than i do now, so i get it. it doesn't mean i don't still enjoy cooking and eating, though. i just do less of it (especially doughnuts)

I wasn’t implying anything about you at all.. not sure where you got that

bobbilljim posted:

in fact if you cook your own food you can make (comparatively at least) healthy meals that you actually want to eat
maybe one day i’ll be able to get my attitude to embrace the reality that most of life is doing poo poo you just have to.

i hope so. i see other people enjoy and embrace life and it’s like maybe.. maybe i’m worthy of that too (unlikely)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

i sort of get finding food annoying but it really is one of the yardsticks of human culture and civilisation and leaning into it is very satisfying in many respects

agree

bobbilljim posted:

yeah i mean unless youre a babby that will only eat chicken fingers and french fries there are lots of healthy recipes that are pretty tasty.

healthy of course is variable and relative, i tend to take it to be food without excess sugar and unnecessary amounts of fat, generally not tremendously energy dense.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

I wasn’t implying anything about you at all.. not sure where you got that

maybe one day i’ll be able to get my attitude to embrace the reality that most of life is doing poo poo you just have to.

i hope so. i see other people enjoy and embrace life and it’s like maybe.. maybe i’m worthy of that too (unlikely)

gently caress man you've got kids thought you'd be well aware of that lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i made another pizza, for rotor

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

looks good friend

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

i made another pizza, for rotor

i like a good pizza, i just dont go apeshit over em. That looks nice!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

gently caress man you've got kids thought you'd be well aware of that lol

what you mean?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

at the moment I like to do ribs or brisket in the big pot in the oven at like 140C for 4/5 hours with garlic + stock, makes some amazing meat for dishes for incredibly little effort. obv brown it first.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

what about eggs

just poach them. it took me ages to get my poaching technique right. I tried stirring the water, tried pre-cooking the eggs in the shells, tried wrapping them in cling-wrap and dunking them, all sorts of bullshit I read on the internet. it's all wrong. you just simmer some water, add a dash of white vinegar and then crack your eggs and cook for 4.5 minutes. done. no fancy gadgets needed.

fun fact if you do this in your carbon steel pan the eggs will do some weird reaction with the surface and it will be hard to clean. fun!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

same re poached eggs but you don’t even need the vinegar if your eggs are fresh. just simmer water in a high sided pan and boom

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my favorite egg is over easy. its good on burgers, hash browns, rice, to tip toast in. its the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i eat two types of eggs

* nice crispy fried eggs when i pull out the nonstick skillet
* "ugly eggs" when i throw them in cast iron and the yolks break and i say "gently caress it" and dump in a handful of shredded cheddar from a bag and dump it all on a plate