Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jazerus posted:

sleep apnea is equivalent to having someone strangle you every once in a while while you're asleep. if it's mild it's not really a risk, but the longer the oxygen deprivation lasts obviously the worse it is.

but it's apparently incredibly common?? why is society sleeping on this poo poo lol seems like it should be a concern. that doesn't seem like a natural cause at all!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

etalian posted:

What if we mixed top gun with Anime?

:vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsw0bP7A3Ko

(note this is one of the worse gundam)

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Cup Runneth Over posted:

but it's apparently incredibly common?? why is society sleeping on this poo poo lol seems like it should be a concern. that doesn't seem like a natural cause at all!!

Because society is unhealthy as poo poo. Diabetes, weight, etc are all risk factors.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok but what if it's actually Top Gun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AvybGPAp5M

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sleep apnea isn't as big of a deal if you aren't a lardass like me

it also requires someone tell you you are doing it because you are not awake to confirm it

or wear a loving stupid thing attached to your head all night which is super uncomfortable and incidentally makes you sleep more poorly

or have money to go to the doctor because of our infantile healthcare system

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Pretty sure it's a fat and poor person disease, not unlike most of the diseases afflicting Americans.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Pretty sure it's a fat and poor person disease, not unlike most of the diseases afflicting Americans.

I think fat rich people have it too because afaik there's no way to pay to make it go away, except not be fat

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Well we can either hook you up to a machine that pumps air into you, or redesign the mattress industry to encourage primal-sleep. Stop relying on tired back or sides sleeping positions. Use instead our new apnea-free configuration that your primal 265 lbs. ancestors enjoyed in their evolutionary journey! $899/year, $doge accepted

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Oh wait this is the games thread and I'm posting about mattresses.

Here's one, Death Stranding has been very good at subverting expectations. I wonder how replayable it is? Kind of seems like you experience the story and that's it. It would own if there was a NG+ where like, Die-Hardman was the BT antagonist and starts messing with you. Something like N64 Eternal Darkness where they start loving up your controls/visuals (or I suppose that one Metal Gear Solid 1 for playstation where that boss has the gimmick if you don't know wha tI mean) would be appropriate. I'd say there's no way they went to this level of effort but my spoiler-free enjoyment of DS has left me pleasantly surprised thus far. Do it Kojima. Let me play the game again harder style, except blue is now in the inverted rainbow (!).

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

primal sleep on playstation

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Microsoft studios presents: xTreme sleep with KinECT featuring Bing!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Lib and let die posted:

yeah, and dark souls literally cured my autism and my AIDS and my cancer and it gave me the confidence to talk to women and ask my wife to marry me and saved my soul, litereally cryeing right now over how much dark souls means to me

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol the gerst/vinny combo was their one true pair and they hosed that up ages ago. then they didn't even have legendary moron ryckert to hold it all together smdh

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

witchy posted:

the only video of theirs i can remember is them trying to start up the a10 in dcs for 1/2 an hr

the payoff in this video is beyond comprehension

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
https://twitter.com/airbagged/status/1389708043441557505

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's crazy and awesome that niche-ly-kickstarted / fan-donation-driven games like Wasteland 3, Grim Dawn, Pillars of Eternity, etc. get supported past their release date.

I'm glad for it; that is all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zil posted:

How does it play with a controller? Or is a joystick required?

Ace Combat was designed to play with controllers and it's really not a flight sim.

More like arcade flight shooter with your hilarious extra long Japanese game cutscenes between missions.

Project Wingman is really awesome if you enjoy any of the Ace Combat series games.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

complications from sleep apnea if i remember correctly. sucks.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

good lord, people die from that?

Zil posted:

Yeah, puts a ton of stress on your heart.

Me, not able to afford the $700 co-pay to get a sleep study done: Well that's exactly what I needed to hear this morning.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ace Combat 4 is probably my favorite in the series and has some awesome setpieces for the missions - I think it's mission 7 that has you targeting a power plant or a radar dish or something and you're above all these deep ravines and then the mother loving twist with the super weapon that begins firing off straight at you and the music kicks up, all the pilots start panicking, and your only option to survive is to fuckin Star Wars your way through the ravines at top speed while having to shoot down occasional choppers in the way (IIRC)

That was such an awesome :stare: moment and super tense on higher difficulties, what a great game

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/ImagesBanjo/status/1388221620120997888

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I was in community college for 2 years to get a degree and I put on about 30 pounds. Waking up gasping twice 6 months ago or so scared me enough to start dieting immediately. poo poo was really scary.

I took a break from Star Ocean for some Duke Nukem 3D: I played for like 2 hours and I feel like I’ve had my fill again idk why I always just stop at level 3.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

primal sleep on playstation

I also loved Tail of the Sun

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Apparently Harmony Gold settled with the actual Macross Creators and we might get the whole thing streaming (it is on Amazon Prime, but it’s through some weird IMDB channel that has a ton of commercials). Macross had got some unfiltered weird that makes me want to binge it someday.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i went on a minor binge over the weekend and grabbed up mgr:r and bayonetta on PC and I started a scratch run of mgr on hard and whew, it's been an experience. not having a fully upgraded Sam blade makes it a totally different game, and everything seems so much tighter at 60fps. it's probably been 10+ years since i've played bayonetta too, so it's gonna be fun getting my rear end kicked there too.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TheMightyBoops posted:

I was in community college for 2 years to get a degree and I put on about 30 pounds. Waking up gasping twice 6 months ago or so scared me enough to start dieting immediately. poo poo was really scary.

I took a break from Star Ocean for some Duke Nukem 3D: I played for like 2 hours and I feel like I’ve had my fill again idk why I always just stop at level 3.

is level 3 the strip club

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Filthy Hans posted:

is level 3 the strip club

Prison.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

play starsector

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Good soup! posted:

Ace Combat 4 is probably my favorite in the series and has some awesome setpieces for the missions - I think it's mission 7 that has you targeting a power plant or a radar dish or something and you're above all these deep ravines and then the mother loving twist with the super weapon that begins firing off straight at you and the music kicks up, all the pilots start panicking, and your only option to survive is to fuckin Star Wars your way through the ravines at top speed while having to shoot down occasional choppers in the way (IIRC)

That was such an awesome :stare: moment and super tense on higher difficulties, what a great game

going back to 4 at this point is difficult but it was my first ace combat and still ranks way up there in my favorite/nostalgic games list. Stonehenge theme still gets my blood pumping

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
TANKS ARE NOTHING BUT STEEL COFFINS WHEN HE’S AROUND

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Yo, I have a stupid jaming-related gripe, maybe someone knows how to deal with it.

I'm kinda fed up with save games being dumped into My Documents, where it shits up the entire folder to the point where I can't find anything. Is there some registry fuckery I can do, to change the default save game folder location for Windows? I feel like this is a Windows thing and not a Steam thing, because Epic and library games also use the same location. But on he other hand, some of them keep their poo poo in My Games subfolder, and some just dump it straight to My Documents.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

grate deceiver posted:

Yo, I have a stupid jaming-related gripe, maybe someone knows how to deal with it.

I'm kinda fed up with save games being dumped into My Documents, where it shits up the entire folder to the point where I can't find anything. Is there some registry fuckery I can do, to change the default save game folder location for Windows? I feel like this is a Windows thing and not a Steam thing, because Epic and library games also use the same location. But on he other hand, some of them keep their poo poo in My Games subfolder, and some just dump it straight to My Documents.

There may be a place in the registry, but changing it might gently caress up Steam cloud. Also it looks like some games set it to their own location, probably in config files, or their own registry entries. Seems hosed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

i would suggest not keeping your own files in Documents frankly

treat it as a system file location, you wouldn't save MyVacationPlans.doc in the Windows folder so don't do it in documents. is this completely contradictory to the designated purpose of the folder? yes, but there's nothing special about documents that a simple folder you make yourself can't do and that folder won't get invaded by every program under the sun. and, from a security perspective, using a folder of your own is (very) modestly more resilient against hacking and such - it's quite common for the windows-created user folders to be the first target of any attack

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

grate deceiver posted:

Windows does have tools to deal with this situation.

You will punch yourself in the crotch for trying to use those tools.

Abandon My Documents to shittily written software.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

I feel like this is a Windows thing and not a Steam thing

Oh no, it's a game thing.

Windows actually has a Save Game folder, except nobody uses it for saved games except one or two developers.

Some put save games in AppData folder, and a lot do like to use the MyDocuments folder.

There are no registry hacks to fix this, this is all on video game developers.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 15:48 on May 5, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Good soup! posted:

I never played any of previous games but had a blast playing Ace Combat 7 with things like Arsenal Bird boss fights.

I did feel like at least did a better job at mixing things up compared to Project Wingman but I know some people loath certain types of missions like Time Attack.

The games also have multiple difficulty levels which makes more forgiving to learn how to play if you are new to Ace Combat.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The big difference is that Project Wingman made guns in the game good, which ends up being more fun than missile spam.

The other one is that they added "plane drifting" thing from HAWX, which makes the game even more arcadey and faster.

Also the boss fight at the end is a lot more crazy than most Ace Combat games.

Ace Combat tried to change things up with stuff like "bombing runs" in 6, and the QTE stuff in Assault Horizon. But it didn't really work that well.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
If you know you're into Ace Combat, I can not recommend Project Wingman highly enough.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

If you know you're into Ace Combat, I can not recommend Project Wingman highly enough.

Yeah it rocks and really captures the better aspects of Ace Combat.

No "Time Attack" missions if you hated that level design in Ace Combat.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jazerus posted:

i would suggest not keeping your own files in Documents frankly

endlessmonotony posted:

Abandon My Documents to shittily written software.

lol, I guess that makes sense, there's no real reason to keep my stuff in that place in particular and it's easier to leave the garbage where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Wingman is also gorgeous

https://giant.gfycat.com/SingleForcefulKiskadee.mp4