Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

That’s definitely what I was trying to think of when I bumped into Kameo! I hope that’s it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

GyverMac posted:

This is a game from back when the ps2 and xbox was fairly new consoles. I can only recall seeing it once as a kid in a now defunct gamestore. I remember being intrigued by this ps2 game wich boasted to have large open areas to explore. The setting seemed to be excotic/alien fantasy of some sort, (or maybe just regular fantasy?) I remember the player character being a blue skinned humanoid. From the pictures on the back of the box, it seemed to be a third person action adventure style game. Anybody know if this is an actual game or if I'm misremembering stuff?

Bit of a long shot but maybe "Giants: Citizen Kabuto"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Bit of a long shot but maybe "Giants: Citizen Kabuto"

Or Evolva, they were kinda similar.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Just posting so I can search my own name in the thread.

Tryna remember something.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Just posting so I can search my own name in the thread.

Tryna remember something.

This is Captain Novolin for the SNES

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Close but I'm pretty sure it's Captain Comic for NES, or Manhole for the FM Towns.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When thy gaming memories hath become dire,
Remember Castle of the Wind or Return Fire.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
just adding that extra something

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Awe I hosed up its Winds plural! That’s why this thread exists.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GyverMac posted:

This is a game from back when the ps2 and xbox was fairly new consoles. I can only recall seeing it once as a kid in a now defunct gamestore. I remember being intrigued by this ps2 game wich boasted to have large open areas to explore. The setting seemed to be excotic/alien fantasy of some sort, (or maybe just regular fantasy?) I remember the player character being a blue skinned humanoid. From the pictures on the back of the box, it seemed to be a third person action adventure style game. Anybody know if this is an actual game or if I'm misremembering stuff?

Unlikely, but Rogue Trooper, perhaps?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Awe I hosed up its Winds plural!

*they're

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

GyverMac posted:

Rogue Trooper?

Was released on ps4 as Rogue Trooper Redux

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've got one for the thread:
It's an early-ish PSX game, from before '97-'98 or so. It's a strategy game with a fantasy setting. Not an SRPG though, more like Ogre Battle or Dragon Force IIRC, where your units wander around on the map and then enter a separate screen for combat. It was almost certainly real time. I can't remember if there was any sort of base building component to it, but I think you played as the leader of a mercenary company. Mostly, I remember whenever your units got caught in a surprise attack, they shouted "AMBUSH!"in extremely hammy VA.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

It's an early-ish PSX game, from before '97-'98 or so. It's a strategy game with a fantasy setting. Not an SRPG though, more like Ogre Battle or Dragon Force IIRC, where your units wander around on the map and then enter a separate screen for combat. It was almost certainly real time. I can't remember if there was any sort of base building component to it, but I think you played as the leader of a mercenary company. Mostly, I remember whenever your units got caught in a surprise attack, they shouted "AMBUSH!"in extremely hammy VA.

Was it Ogre Battle 64? Different console, but right around that time and matched your description.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Commander Keene posted:

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Was it Ogre Battle 64? Different console, but right around that time and matched your description.

There was a PSX version of Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, IIRC very similar to the SNES one, and it sounds very much like it.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Brigadine for psx was a turn based war game that sounds like it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pierzak posted:

There was a PSX version of Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen, IIRC very similar to the SNES one, and it sounds very much like it.

This is probably it yeah

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mierenneuker posted:

If it had been an OG Xbox game it would have been Azurik.

Edit:

Yes its this one! Thanks! This been bugging me a while now and im glad to finally lay it to rest.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GyverMac posted:

Yes its this one! Thanks! This been bugging me a while now and im glad to finally lay it to rest.

I playtested this game before it was released. It wasn't great, but I was compensated with tons of pizza and some PC games. There's some very silly bonus dialogue during the ending credits.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat?
I can't find anything definitive, but I think this is it.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It was definitely a PSX game, and it wasn't any version of Ogre Battle, which I've only played on SNES.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I remember getting a demo of a game called "Speaker for the Dead" on the coverrdisc of a magazine. It had no relation to the novel by Orson Scott Card. It had an isometric viewpoint and kind of looked like poo poo even for the time and was a turn based strategy game where everyone moved on tiles.

Did it ever get released? Did I dream all of it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ALFbrot posted:

This is Captain Novolin for the SNES

Check you feets.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dip Viscous posted:

I remember getting a demo of a game called "Speaker for the Dead" on the coverrdisc of a magazine. It had no relation to the novel by Orson Scott Card. It had an isometric viewpoint and kind of looked like poo poo even for the time and was a turn based strategy game where everyone moved on tiles.

Did it ever get released? Did I dream all of it?

Around what year? I can’t find anything under that name

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Mid-90s. My memories are probably just clouded by it being the 90s.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Light Gun Man posted:

From an online pal:

"I remember a grey brick wall maze and possible a knight character trying to get into a castle" Says it's not Gauntlet and he's sure the walls were grey.

I ask if he means like the windows maze screensaver:

"No, more 2.5D
But not isometric"

It's for the Commodore 64, could be disk or cassette. Said he's checked against Lemon64's list without results, would have been available in the UK, played it no later than 1992

The Staff of Karnath, maybe? It's got that Deadly Towers kind of view angle, although the walls aren't really grey. Or maybe Avenger if you want more of a Gauntlet vibe?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 7, 2021

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
There's a side-scrolling adventure game I vaguely remember from the early 90's, with static screens that had puzzles or things to manipulate similar to how Prince of Persia was laid out. I feel like it was set on a tropical island. You'd come across a gap that needed to be bridged and you'd come back later once you knocked a tree over or something, or you'd be a screen or two above an area and break something/drop it down to cause a path to open or defeat something. I remember there being jail cells that characters were in or something, looked to be made out of wood? Your character was short and chubby almost like Kirby I think. I'm fairly sure it was for NES or maybe very early SNES? I guess it could be early Genesis even maybe. Not a lot to go on, I know, I've been pouring through lists of NES and SNES games but have been coming up blank.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

unlikely, but possibly Mutant Beach?

or Flashback...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jcam posted:

There's a side-scrolling adventure game I vaguely remember from the early 90's, with static screens that had puzzles or things to manipulate similar to how Prince of Persia was laid out. I feel like it was set on a tropical island. You'd come across a gap that needed to be bridged and you'd come back later once you knocked a tree over or something, or you'd be a screen or two above an area and break something/drop it down to cause a path to open or defeat something. I remember there being jail cells that characters were in or something, looked to be made out of wood? Your character was short and chubby almost like Kirby I think. I'm fairly sure it was for NES or maybe very early SNES? I guess it could be early Genesis even maybe. Not a lot to go on, I know, I've been pouring through lists of NES and SNES games but have been coming up blank.

One of the Dizzy games?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Pablo Nergigante posted:

One of the Dizzy games?

I had a thorough look through that series and I don't think that's it. I remember the screens being static like individual puzzles, you'd walk off the left of the screen to change to an adjacent screen, in some sort of interconnected island or forest. I got excited for a minute because I thought I recognized the main character.

b_d posted:

unlikely, but possibly Mutant Beach?

or Flashback...

I don't recognize either one of those, I think graphically it was worse than these two and a bit clunkier.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jcam posted:

I had a thorough look through that series and I don't think that's it. I remember the screens being static like individual puzzles, you'd walk off the left of the screen to change to an adjacent screen, in some sort of interconnected island or forest. I got excited for a minute because I thought I recognized the main character.

Treasure Island Dizzy has the static flip screen thing, but it was released on a weird unlicensed cart with three other games. Check it out anyway

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jcam posted:

Ufouria?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Treasure Island Dizzy has the static flip screen thing, but it was released on a weird unlicensed cart with three other games. Check it out anyway

I think this might be it! I don't remember the upper part of the screen with your score and inventory but it was also 25+ years ago as well.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Jcam posted:

This sounds like it could be Puggsy. Or Lester the Unlikely but the character description is way off for that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Okay, I'm looking for a not-too-old puzzle game, block-pushing and derivatives.Pretty sure it was free? It had a number of 'twists' in it where you learn the rules of the game, then eventually find out they were not at all what you thought they were, the first of such being that the weird seemingly external blocks on the map were actually set up to allow you to remote control your icon, and 'you' were actually one of the external blocks surrounded by trigger blocks. Any ideas?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Sounds like some weird twist on Baba is You. Is there mod support for that game?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It's almost done! But no, it's not Baba. At least five years old, and I believe it has flat neon colors a lot? With a black background?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I remember a Breakout like game from a Shareware assortment for Windows 95 but I played it in the Windows 98 era. I think it had Ultra in the title and is was very multi-colored, both the bricks and the background. It had primitive voice acting in telling you how many balls you had left, and it went "one balls remaining". The developer also put out "Mahjong, Spherejong and Ringjong on the Jong CD!" as I remember from the ad you got when you quit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maigius posted:

I remember a Breakout like game from a Shareware assortment for Windows 95 but I played it in the Windows 98 era. I think it had Ultra in the title and is was very multi-colored, both the bricks and the background. It had primitive voice acting in telling you how many balls you had left, and it went "one balls remaining". The developer also put out "Mahjong, Spherejong and Ringjong on the Jong CD!" as I remember from the ad you got when you quit.

The only breakout-style game I remember that was floating around the shareware circles was DX-Ball/DX-Ball 2, but I don't remember voice acting, so that's unlikely to be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Pretty sure that's Moraff's Ultra Blast

man, I had some massive shareware collection of moraffware games as a kid. there were like, tons of puzzle games and way too many varieties of mahjong tile matching games. it was great.