Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just jumped from my Sony Xperia 10 to an S21 regular yesterday, so this conversation is nicely timed. The hardware's great, an in screen fingerprint reader is basically wizardry. In terms of software, I like some of Samsung's additions like the side panel that slides out, their lockscreen and notifications, and Bixby routines is actually kinda useful, it's like IFTTT for your phone. I did just use my old nova launcher setup so can't comment on that. Some downsides I've noticed is that yeah, it's a lot of settings to dig through and the Samsung apps are mostly redundant with the Google equivalents (their calculator is way better though :v:)

Edit: I actually kind of like the thing with lots of whitespace at the top of some of their apps

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

:lol:
Yup, there it is, my mom's S4 font.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just for the record I went and downloaded that just to take that screenshot
then switched back to choco cooky

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does anyone know how I disable 'ok google' without disabling assistant entirely? I swear I've done it before, but everything I can find online and in my settings disables assistant so I can't use my gestures to queue it up. I just don't want it to be voice activated on my phone. Am I crazy about this being possible?

Nevermind, it's under voice match, which I assumed we the voice learning and personalization function so I never checked it.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 1, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Seems the OnePlus 9 pro overheats too easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJ5icVrus0

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, there's been a lot of reports of overheating with the S21 line too. I'm thinking the SD888 might have some teething issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/l9ysgm/samsung_s21_ultra_overheating/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It’s because they ended the model number with an 8. This is just like the 808 from a few years ago

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even number curse. Only good snapdragons are odd numbered.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I bought the pixel 4a and it seems pretty good but wtf why is there no notification light. the apps that exist to do it say they chew through battery life and need real deep permissions

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ilmucche posted:

I bought the pixel 4a and it seems pretty good but wtf why is there no notification light. the apps that exist to do it say they chew through battery life and need real deep permissions

Always on display fills the need for that for most people. Give it a shot, it's nice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Google phones haven't had one in like 6 years.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Seems a real weird thing to get rid of. I'll give the always on display thing a try then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google is hardly alone either, notification LEDs went out the same time always on displays became a thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/google-pixel-6-could-launch-next-month-ceo-hints

Because of Pichai saying that Google I/O will have "significant" product announcements, the new rumor is we will hear about the Pixel 6 next month during I/O.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, there's been a lot of reports of overheating with the S21 line too. I'm thinking the SD888 might have some teething issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/l9ysgm/samsung_s21_ultra_overheating/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Exynos superiority?! Never had this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I haven't had any overheating in either TBF.

Keep in mind one of the most vocal people about this is Artem....

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It was the 810 that was the last hot one. The 808 dropped a couple of the hot cores and was mostly ok when it isn't bootlooping.

Odd they jumped from the 865 to 888 though for sure. Cursed numbering indeed.

I know those of you with the Pixel 4a/5's probably can relate but i'm pretty impressed with the performance of the 765G. I thought the Wing would have been more of a sidegrade on performance, but this thing feels solidly zippy in a way my pixel 2xl hasn't in a long while.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I missed the messaging chat but here in Aus I only sms my sister cause she's paranoid and doesn't use any apps, for everyone else it's 99% whatsapp and telegram. I keep viber, signal and messenger installed for the odd friend that prefers that. I dont really even notice which I'm in much.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess this really still holds true

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cage-free egghead posted:

It’s because they ended the model number with an 8. This is just like the 808 from a few years ago

**8's and firebreak

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BurgerQuest posted:

I missed the messaging chat but here in Aus I only sms my sister cause she's paranoid and doesn't use any apps

there’s something a bit ironic about being paranoid and choosing to use one of the least secure messaging methods around, save for hiring a skywriter.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Agree, but if reason was enough I'd have convinced her years ago.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those who jumped to the P5 from the P4XL, what are your thoughts on it?

I'm growing bored with my P4XL, and a little tired of the face unlock, so I'm looking at maybe the P5 since I'm on Google Fi.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
P5 is a fine phone but boring is a good descriptor for it too.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I went from the P4 to the P5 since I bounced the P4 off a sidewalk, and I am absolutely blown away by the battery life improvement. Beyond that, I kind of wish the 5 had kept the telephoto lens instead of the wide angle, I love the return to fingerprint unlock except for like twice a week when I wish I could just use my face, and there's practically no other difference otherwise.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a Pixel 5, and most (or maybe all) of the time when I disconnect from a Bluetooth device (headphones or Android Auto), the media volume will get set to maximum. So if I listen to something without being connected to Bluetooth, it's quite loud (well, as loud as a P5 can get). Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

P5 is a fine phone but boring is a good descriptor for it too.

After going from P4XL to P5, I agree with this.

Since I still have my P4XL, I almost sold it to get an iPhone as a secondary device....almost.

I'm wondering what the P6 will have but I'm not holding out too much hope, honestly, since Google's CS isn't up to the level of insanity if their first SoC flops hard. Plus Google is all about pleasing the manufacturers too so it probably won't be TOO different so as to not piss off Samsung...who's supposedly helping them on the SoC anyway.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't notice any difference in speed or function day to day from my Pixel 3 with the 5. I got it at launch, battery life is still godly.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hughmoris posted:

For those who jumped to the P5 from the P4XL, what are your thoughts on it?

I'm growing bored with my P4XL, and a little tired of the face unlock, so I'm looking at maybe the P5 since I'm on Google Fi.

Fantastic, it's super fast and the battery is incredible. I sometimes have an issue with overheating when charging+doing other strenuous stuff but that's not unique to the P5. My Pixel 4 XL was junk and I actively disliked it before it completely killed itself after about 13 months.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Family member got a new phone, a Sony Xperia of some kind on Android 10. Switching the gesture navigation back to button navigation was no problem but they want the reverse layout so the back button is on the right side like their old phone allowed. I took a look myself but couldn't find any option for it, is it possible without rooting?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think so but the left is the correct side for the back button anyway.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

dissss posted:

I don't think so but the left is the correct side for the back button anyway.

I agree but they're having tons of trouble adjusting. :shrug:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The correct side should really be whichever one you want it to be.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Desk Lamp posted:

The correct side should really be whichever one you want it to be.

I would make the argument that there is something to be said for consistency but being a Google user does not exactly give me standing in that regard.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

isndl posted:

Family member got a new phone, a Sony Xperia of some kind on Android 10. Switching the gesture navigation back to button navigation was no problem but they want the reverse layout so the back button is on the right side like their old phone allowed. I took a look myself but couldn't find any option for it, is it possible without rooting?

Pretty sure Samsung is the only one who allows this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Pretty sure Samsung is the only one who allows this.

LG had an option to reverse it, but by default was in the correct, Google approved orientation.

Rest in piss, LG.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

FogHelmut posted:

I don't notice any difference in speed or function day to day from my Pixel 3 with the 5. I got it at launch, battery life is still godly.

Personally, I really feel the extra RAM from the 5 vs the 3. Way more stuff stays in memory.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What are the good phones to look out for now? My Oneplus 6 decided to suddenly have a super lovely battery that dies from like 30%, which I found out mid-recording an interview yesterday :(

On my list to consider so far are the Galaxy S21 and the Mi 11 Ultra. Maybe the Pixel 4A or 5; those aren't officially in Malaysia but I found sellers who bring in imported models. Any others?

General use, a good camera would be nice (gimme that bokeh, the main reason I'm considering the Mi). Doesn't actually have to be top of the top end, but I haven't kept up with phones for a bit since I wasn't expecting my phone to crap out, so not sure if there are any value buys at the moment.

EDIT: Just found out about the Vivo X60 Pro which is available here and looks like a camera beast. Not certified water resistant though which makes me worry if it storms here...

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Apparently certifying water resistant is a thing that isn't done as much anymore? It's like my one worry having bought the pixel 4a but people keep telling me not to worry