Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Shammypants posted:

About 7 hours into Days Gone and still wondering why people hate it. It's a perfectly good game on PS5, maybe it had technical issues on PS4. It's more enjoyable than Valhalla.

It gets a lot better as it goes, too. By the end you will cherish your time with Boozer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shammypants posted:

About 7 hours into Days Gone and still wondering why people hate it. It's a perfectly good game on PS5, maybe it had technical issues on PS4. It's more enjoyable than Valhalla.
Personally I found it boring and janky but to each their own

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shammypants posted:

I voiced my opinions on that fuckin game already! What a waste of time!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played an hour of it and was like nah not feeling this. I'm sure it "gets better" but I had demon's and poo poo to play and now I'm high on bath salts in space so...

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There are too many games on the PS5. After Goth Mommy drops on Friday I'll have 12 games I'm actively playing.

Cool your jets, Sony.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shammypants posted:

Its certainly better than valhalla. But the pacing is whack.
Broadly,
The first 20 hours is pointless busy work before the plot even thinks about taking any steps forward.
It takes like 30 hours to feel strong in the game.
The one big wtf moment in the story comes to nothing shortly after.
It takes like 50 hours to be able to fight hordes, the whole gimmick the games trailers were based on, and then the game ends immediately after. Most of these horde fights ask you to skip them if you die twice (one doesnt! The comments online whining from unprepared people are delicious) because the designers know some players wasted all their money on gas and never did enough quests to buy the right gear. Theres a different currency for every town so you have to grind reputation to get good stuff from each vendor after all.

In the games defense the bike does get fun to drive once you get deep in the game and it performs like a real vehicle instead of the trash state it starts in. I'll give it that, and its in a much better state now on ps5 post a dozen patches running off ssd at 60fps that it was when it launched unplayable on ps4.
But theres no reason for the flawed but ultimately acceptable/decent gameplay loop they built to be carrying a campaign twice the length of hzd or ghosts of tsushima, two games in the same genre with infinitely better polish, pacing, and mechanics.

Imo Free is the right price. No sequel is the right choice. But thats just me. Some people love it i guess idk. Maybe deacons idiot rambling comes off as charming, ive heard that before as a reason but to me his characterization is bizarre and shows the scars of having a player moral choice system removed way too late in development

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 5, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also i beat level 3 of returnal and the game is very good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Real hurthling! posted:

Broadly,
The first 20 hours is pointless busy work before the plot even thinks about taking any steps forward.
It takes like 50 hours to be able to fight hordes, the whole gimmick the games trailers were based on, and then the game ends immediately after. Most of these horde fights ask you to skip them if you die twice (one doesnt! The comments online whining from unprepared people are delicious) because the designers know some players wasted all their money on gas and never did enough quests to buy the right gear. Theres a different currency for every town so you have to grind reputation to get good stuff from each vendor after all.

can you eventually grind reputation? up till where I got it didn't seem like there were repeatable sources of rep (I stopped playing some time after it became apparent you sent the girl to a slave camp).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The game will keep giving you more missions for each camp after you finally hit some more story beats. They call you up.

Good thing you skipped out there. That quest keeps going and only gets worse and worse

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Can’t pause a run without rest mode, special edition purchasers have bugs... it’s like the perfect game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i didn't like how long the game keeps you on a leash. it's an open world game where there's little point in doing anything besides the story (at least as far as i played).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only bug I've had was the challenge door not opening thing but it worked on a reload. Outside of that I'm wearing my fancy preorder suit and after 20 hours and 4 biomes I haven't had anything except a sound bug where everything sounded like it was underwater, but it resolved in the next room.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Broadly,

In the games defense the bike does get fun to drive once you get deep in the game and it performs like a real vehicle instead of the trash state it starts in. I'll give it that, and its in a much better state now on ps5 post a dozen patches running off ssd at 60fps that it was when it launched unplayable on ps4.
But theres no reason for the flawed but ultimately acceptable/decent gameplay loop they built to be carrying a campaign twice the length of hzd or ghosts of tsushima, two games in the same genre with infinitely better polish, pacing, and mechanics.

Imo Free is the right price. No sequel is the right choice. But thats just me. Some people love it i guess idk. Maybe deacons idiot rambling comes off as charming, ive heard that before as a reason but to me his characterization is bizarre and shows the scars of having a player moral choice system removed way too late in development

I lost interest in it after grinding the first encampment, telling me there's more for each settlement kind of settles me ever picking it up again. Hordes should be more like dead rising rather than whatever it is currently

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

i didn't like how long the game keeps you on a leash. it's an open world game where there's little point in doing anything besides the story (at least as far as i played).

That never stops
You rarely have more than 2, sometimes 3 missions to choose from

each region has a number of repeated activities like clearing nests so you can listen to deek ham up reacting to what they smell like over and over or clearing a bandit camp so you dont keep getting shot off your bike by snipers every 10 minutes but theres not much absolutely worth doing besides nero checkpoints

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Days gone stuck with me because I liked the more TLOU style early gameplay but also liked the late game fighting off massive hordes. Exploring the map was fun cause pretty much all of the buildings are explorable and the game looks nice. Also the story is dumb and entertaining most of the time.

Is it one of the goats? No. Is it rough around the edges sometimes? yeah. but I thoroughly enjoyed the 50+ hours I put into it.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Wreckfest is dope as hell lol this is what all stars shouldve been

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oh I should download it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Housemarque/status/1389656160056315904

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Credits rolling on Returnal, this game is rad. Thanks Housemarque you made a banger here.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hitting a bit of a wall with Area 3 of Returnal. These homing missile drones are a nightmare

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Biome 3 is definitely a pretty hard wall the first few times, I honestly questioned my 70$ purchase after getting frustrated with it for a whole day. Took a nice days rest and tackled it on the first try the next day and had a great run after that nearly to the end. Now I think the money was all worth it.

The little rocket drones are pretty much the worst enemies especially when there are a lot of them coming at you. Personal strategy is to use a door as cover if it's available and pick em off, preferably if you find a Hollowcaster with Serrated Projectiles. Another perfectly viable option is to run past them quickly and grapple away if you're on one of those platforms and they start spawning and find the nearest door.

Returnal really seems to take small bits of games every goon loves, a bit of Souls, Control, and a little Doom with the dashing mechanic. The bosses are all really awesome even the easier ones.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I look forward to playing Returnal later this year when I have nothing else to play, it’s on sale, and Housemarque have patched some sort of save system into the game. :haw:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Good few weeks of new games with Nier Replicant, Returnal, and RE8 (also Pokemon Snap on the other system)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I cleared area 3 today. Scour area 1 and the ground floor of 2 and you'll be strong enough to beat it no problem.
Got it on my second real attempt after trying to bum rush it to no avail too many times

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

hitting a bit of a wall with Area 3 of Returnal. These homing missile drones are a nightmare

A shrapnel hollow seeker or carbine with the beam alt will help you with them a lot if you can snag one. I really struggled with biome 3 and I cruised through 1, 2 and 4. The boss of 3 is also very doable with a seeker or carbine once you get your head around the gimmick.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat the boss with a trash carbine after wiping with the best seeker i ever saw and it took like half the time lol
I got through the level with a very buff grenade launcher tho before switching

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I finally got to run all the way through 3 and the level isn't as hard as it seemed at first on my first 2 botched runs, but I took way too much damage in the tower and had to first attempt the boss at half a health bar and died in it's second phase. At least that tower is unlocked now I guess. I'm gonna try the resin farming trick in biome 1 tomorrow and try to get a big rear end health bar and maybe try to get the 200% health trophy on that run.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

There are too many games on the PS5. After Goth Mommy drops on Friday I'll have 12 games I'm actively playing.

Cool your jets, Sony.

I'm really trying to hold off on more game purchases until Ratchet and Clank come out. Luckily I still have to go through my copy of Cyberpunk I got on sale awhile back.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Got to the first boss on my third run of the night, the previous two runs I'd died to the big guys in a couple other arenas. I was really intimidated by them at first but on the third run I got really aggressive with them and just crushed them, felt good. Then I found the House and the sword and the boss in one run, got him within like 2 hits and then he got me. Such a cool fight though, I was shaking with the intensity and the stakes felt so high. Haven't had that kind of feeling from a game in a little while, it was hard but not frustrating. Can't wait to get back to this after work tomorrow night (or before if they put in saves in that patch tomorrow). Game is very good, glad I bought it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Returnal sounds like my kind of game and now and then wish I was joining everyone in the exploration part of it :)

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I know this is probably not real whatsoever but each time I hit a brick wall in returnal (biome 2 and 3 so far) closing the game down for a day and coming back I was greeted with TONS of health drops, more parasites than I’d ever seen and higher weapons. It is like the more desperate and stubborn you are to power through the game gives you less and less to work with.

Again this is almost definitely coincidence but I’m sure taking a good break helps. The most important thing is to have patience, thoroughly explore and focus on building weapon proficiency. You have to be content with losing a 2 hour run because getting further into a biome with patience is more beneficial than when you’re zipping straight from 1 - 3 and trying to cause the game to relent by throwing dozens on your corpses into it doesn’t work

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Returnal sounds like my kind of game and now and then wish I was joining everyone in the exploration part of it :)

Definitely grab it when you finish Sekiro it rules.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love Returnal so much. The psychological horror element isn't new but gently caress it hits hard at points and every run feels a little more oppressive as you go. For real, I don't think I've enjoyed a game this much since like... Bloodborne. I'm not doing a meme either, I love this game and getting to boss 4 slammed it into my brain hard.

Housemarque have really done me a solid with this one. I won't forget it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

JBP posted:

I love Returnal so much. The psychological horror element isn't new but gently caress it hits hard at points and every run feels a little more oppressive as you go. For real, I don't think I've enjoyed a game this much since like... Bloodborne. I'm not doing a meme either, I love this game and getting to boss 4 slammed it into my brain hard.

Housemarque have really done me a solid with this one. I won't forget it.

I definitely wouldn't put this game as high as bloodborne, even though I love it and want to play it all the time, but I do think it's the same sort of watermark in such that it's an incremental innovation that just...breaks through. Sort of like how Wolfenstein pioneered the FPS but Doom added just that little bit to cause a storm. However I think Bloodborne is a clearer insipiration for this game than any other particular roguelike, along with Metroid Prime.

If they do a sequel of somekind I wish 1) it was possible 2) they find a way to make the game more open - I haven't finished it yet but I'm imagining the door siloing of rooms will be come too restrictive for good replayability. How you would have an open-ish world of procedural arrangement, I have no idea.

I think also think it was wrong to even use 'procedural generation' in any description of the game. That word is usually kryptonite to me as it inevitably means algorithm in lieu of art design and intention, but it's more of a moving tile-set to keep you on your toes. Each room is clearly designed by hand and the changing nature of their order lends to the actual narrative oppression rather than just being a requirement of the genre.

That said imagine how easy and boring this game would be if it was a set arrangement of pickups rooms and weapons. It'd even be shorter than bloodborne's 12 hour max

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As someone who is currently taking a break from Returnal for the rest of the day after having a horrible long stressful run this morning (biome 5 is easily the biggest brick wall for me since Phrike. why does everything do so much damage omg) I do recommend the strategy. Good to get yourself back on an even keel instead of (if you’re anything like me) stewing and being stubborn and getting annoyed any time you die early lmao

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish Returnal wasn't $120aud, cause it sounds like my jam.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aidan_702 posted:

I definitely wouldn't put this game as high as bloodborne

All good comments but for me and my appreciation of things like story and feeling of achievement this is like taking Molly for the first time again.

E: and with story I don't mean it's something new or innovative, I mean the means of telling it. This storytelling is interesting and honestly as you play more there is this growing weight and sense of a real human being living it. It loving rules. The horror aspect is similar to bloodborne tbh. It's a thing that beggars belief, but doesn't make it dumb. That's hard.

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 5, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
It's Worth It.

Seriously I've paid more for less when it comes to games and i am still thinking about getting up early today (it's 6am!) to go play before I have to start thinking about work.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Casnorf posted:

It's Worth It..

What's the '1 more run' replayability like? Are the levels heavily randomly generated, or is it just a bunch of pre-made tile sets you get used too quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Infinitum posted:

What's the '1 more run' replayability like? Are the levels heavily randomly generated, or is it just a bunch of pre-made tile sets you get used too quickly?

It's pre generated rooms but there are a decent amount. In them the monsters are random. You sometimes get rooms where you recognise them but it's something of a blessing. There are enough rooms that 5+ runs will always provide slow moving "what the gently caress is going on here" moments. The answer is both I guess. The combat is so good that it doesn't matter much. I've seen reviewers knock the difficult enemies in the zones, but if you approach a locked arena as an opportunity to excel and win, rather than die, you will enjoy this game a lot.