Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When cons start being live in person again he’s going to be going to literally every single one isnt he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When cons start being live in person again he’s going to be going to literally every single one isnt he?

Without a doubt.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Imagine all the HBO press junkets for the stupid spinoff that he’s gonna attend as well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"...But we didn't even invite him! He just turned up and started signing things!"

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Wasn't it like three years ago that he said he wouldn't attend another con until Winds was out?

Did he lie? Are words wind?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ccs posted:

I definitely feel like an author has an informal contract with readers to deliver the series if the initial book is pitched as part of a series. And they have an explicit contract with the publisher, although with these mega-success stories the publisher is never going to exert too much pressure on the author to actually deliver.

It's why I get a bit tired with the endless defenses of Martin and Rothfuss. Sure, you can't rush art. But you can put art on a schedule. You can find ways to reduce scope. You can try to treat the writing like a job with deadlines and consequences. Everyone who has ever worked on a tv show or any collaborative project knows this. With authors we throw it out the windows because its a singular effort, but I would like to see a bit more discipline on their part to actually produce. It's not like they don't have willing editors at the ready to help shape a torrent of words into something coherent and enjoyable.

I mean you can force a fart so I see no reason why book 3 of poor undergrad who is the best at everything is still delayed, book 2 poor undergrad is a sex-haver came out years ago, why isn’t part 3 poor undergrad fails to live up to his promise done?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

some bust on that guy posted:

It's funny going back that as mad as everyone got in 2008-2010, they probably still wouldn't have dreamed that it would be 2021 and the 6th book still wouldn't be out.

I mean, hell, I was speculating back in like 2008-ish that GRRM probably wouldn't even be alive in 2021, so I'm pleasantly surprised by at least one metric of my ASoIaF predictions.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Wasn't it like three years ago that he said he wouldn't attend another con until Winds was out?

Did he lie? Are words wind?

Yeah he promised that in like 2017 and reneged within a year.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah the consensus when ADWD hit was that GRRM wouldn't see through the end of the decade, but hey at least the show would finish stuff... up...

:negative:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How many of the people GRRM was lamenting in half his blog posts this year were killed by Covid or because they were in their 80s and 90s and he can’t handle that he’s now old as gently caress himself.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2327492&pagenumber=174&perpage=40#post352076592 Nov 12, 2008

Morse posted:

Hopefully the HBO show will rekindle his interest in ASOIAF.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 4, 2021

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Well this would have been better.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Season 5 and all seasons thereafter of ASoIaF will just be football games with George commentating

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

My greatest pleasure in watching football comes not from watching my team win, but watching grrm’s teams lose.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What I'm really morbidly curious about are what his publishers think. Like are there any leaks from people in the industry? Do they honestly really believe he is still going to write another book, let alone finish the series?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

some bust on that guy posted:

Well this would have been better.

Please no, I remember John Madden and we don't need a GRRMadden.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

What I'm really morbidly curious about are what his publishers think. Like are there any leaks from people in the industry? Do they honestly really believe he is still going to write another book, let alone finish the series?

In the run up to A Dance with Dragons being published, there were some rumblings about his publishers getting chuffed that he was taking so loving long and the show's premiere was bearing down on everyone and raising tensions to just get SOMETHING out before the first episode aired on HBO. The generally accepted sequence of events is that Random House all but sent a pair of hired goons to his house and said "whatever you have finished, give it to us. Now." and they kind of forced GRRM to give them his 3/4s complete manuscript for ADWD and they published that as a complete* book. Hence why GRRM had so many "preview" chapters for The Winds of Winter handy, because they were originally intended to be in the previous book.

Around the mid-point of the show, as it was closing in on territory covered by A Feast for Crows/A Dance With Dragons, there were similar chufty rumblings out of and around Random House and the unspoken worry that the show overtaking the books would kill sales prospects for The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, but GRRM didn't have poo poo to give them this time around so they couldn't pull another panic publish move like they did on ADWD.

Since the show ended, the universal outrage over it and with GRRM having not written anything in a solid decade, it think his publishers have just given the gently caress up on getting anything more out of him.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's very rare for a publisher to talk about that stuff, though the editor of Rothfuss did come out publicly recently and say she's seen essentially nothing since the last book, and his claims of chapters and chapters are totally false as far as she is concerned.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

In the run up to A Dance with Dragons being published, there were some rumblings about his publishers getting chuffed that he was taking so loving long and the show's premiere was bearing down on everyone and raising tensions to just get SOMETHING out before the first episode aired on HBO. The generally accepted sequence of events is that Random House all but sent a pair of hired goons to his house and said "whatever you have finished, give it to us. Now." and they kind of forced GRRM to give them his 3/4s complete manuscript for ADWD and they published that as a complete* book. Hence why GRRM had so many "preview" chapters for The Winds of Winter handy, because they were originally intended to be in the previous book.

Around the mid-point of the show, as it was closing in on territory covered by A Feast for Crows/A Dance With Dragons, there were similar chufty rumblings out of and around Random House and the unspoken worry that the show overtaking the books would kill sales prospects for The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, but GRRM didn't have poo poo to give them this time around so they couldn't pull another panic publish move like they did on ADWD.

Since the show ended, the universal outrage over it and with GRRM having not written anything in a solid decade, it think his publishers have just given the gently caress up on getting anything more out of him.

Well they got to publish that Targaryen history book that probably sold literally 1/100 of what the last ASOIAF book did.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Honest question, if the Publishers did absolutely nothing would there even be ADWD yet?

Oh good, he’s already making plans to leave the house.

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1388577724864811014

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The closest I can think of is Ty Franck, the long-suffering GM lackey, who said GM taught him a lot about the business of writing, but actual writing? Not so much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Woodpile posted:

The closest I can think of is Ty Franck, the long-suffering GM lackey, who said GM taught him a lot about the business of writing, but actual writing? Not so much.

That's because Ty actually wound up writing 9 whole books in a relatively timely manner. GRRM did not.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well they got to publish that Targaryen history book that probably sold literally 1/100 of what the last ASOIAF book did.

I do think if TWoW ever came out it would sell pretty well. No matter how badly people felt disillusioned by the show's ending, the series as a whole has a gargantuan fanbase now compared to ten years ago. It'd be easy to market it as the "true" next chapter in the story.

I think writing a massive tome (and planning a second) about the Targs was a huge loving mistake. Even if he didn't actually write much (any?) of it himself it was a massive waste of time. The vast majority of readers don't care about the history of that family beyond their involvement in the immediate narrative, and I don't think people will tune in to a show about them either.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

stev posted:

I do think if TWoW ever came out it would sell pretty well. No matter how badly people felt disillusioned by the show's ending, the series as a whole has a gargantuan fanbase now compared to ten years ago. It'd be easy to market it as the "true" next chapter in the story.

I think writing a massive tome (and planning a second) about the Targs was a huge loving mistake. Even if he didn't actually write much (any?) of it himself it was a massive waste of time. The vast majority of readers don't care about the history of that family beyond their involvement in the immediate narrative, and I don't think people will tune in to a show about them either.

But it allowed him to sign a new deal with HBO and sell them a second (and third and fourth...) show, so clearly it was a great business decision.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The more time goes by the clearer it is that GRRM was always a TV hustler who happened to find a second career writing novels. Cause yeah from a business perspective GRRM has absolutely played maximum profit for minimum effort for 21 straight years now.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, hell, I was speculating back in like 2008-ish that GRRM probably wouldn't even be alive in 2021, so I'm pleasantly surprised by at least one metric of my ASoIaF predictions.

GRRM dying would provide a conclusion of sorts, you should have seen this coming.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now I want a fourth wall breaking ending where the characters become aware that the world is ending as the author slowly dies.

Maybe thats what the White Walkers were all along.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Maybe the real White Walkers were the friends we made along the way. :colbert:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

stev posted:

Now I want a fourth wall breaking ending where the characters become aware that the world is ending as the author slowly dies.

Maybe thats what the White Walkers were all along.

If ASoIaF were suddenly taken over by Stephen King, this is probably unironically what would happen. Bran would end up possessed by the spirit of the author, so it makes perfect sense that he writes himself as King (no pun intended?) in the ending.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

ADWD only even came out at all because the publishers still had power over him at the time and basically grabbed the manuscript out of his hands right? Because lmao that he had to cut out not one but two climactic battles. Like 1/3 of Winds will be stuff that was meant to be in the last book.

This series needs 8 books minimum lol

I still think he refuses to spilt TWOW into 2 books because he currently has a contract for 7 books and if he needs an 8th book his publisher would be able to renegotiate his contract and say say we need something by X date or we'll sue.

Like you'd think a bunch of his friends just dying from old age stuff a few were COVID but most of them were just stuff that happens when you get old would make him knuckle down and write.

He clearly gives enough of a gently caress to argue with D&D and storm off the show writing process

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 5, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

I still think he refuses to spilt TWOW into 2 books because he currently has a contract for 7 books and if he needs an 8th book his publisher would be able to renegotiate his contract and say say we need something by X date or we'll sue.

The best they could sue for is the return of his advance, which can't be that large. relative to the many sources of TV income he has now.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

pseudanonymous posted:

The best they could sue for is the return of his advance, which can't be that large. relative to the many sources of TV income he has now.

But like there's no other logical reason not to just do 8, if he just wants money that's more money, if he wants the story to be decent that needs another book.

It's like he's simultaneously concerned about his LEGACY and completely nonplussed that he's literally running out of time AND refuses to just get a ghost writer and write the books the same way he did F&B and TWOIAF

It's maddening

edit: Like I don't want to sound unsympathetic to a guy who just lost like 6+ long time friends but my dude death is knocking pick a lane and go for it. As a procrastinator myself I get it but this is the life equivalent of there's 3 hours until the project is due.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 5, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SirKibbles posted:

But like there's no other logical reason not to just do 8, if he just wants money that's more money, if he wants the story to be decent that needs another book.

an extra book is extra words he has to not write

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
he is not writing, he is on a jet ski with beautiful models. there will never be another book

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

edit: Like I don't want to sound unsympathetic to a guy who just lost like 6+ long time friends but my dude death is knocking pick a lane and go for it. As a procrastinator myself I get it but this is the life equivalent of there's 3 hours until the project is due.
He just announced even more TV projects to act as a buffer between him and any excuse to sit down and write. He has chosen and it's basically a shell game to run out the clock. What boggles my mind is that it can't possibly be about the money at this point, he really is that averse to tending to his cash cow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kalvanoo posted:

he is not writing, he is on a jet ski with beautiful models. there will never be another book

And you know what? Good for him. I hope he enjoys it.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

mind the walrus posted:

What boggles my mind is that it can't possibly be about the money at this point, he really is that averse to tending to his cash cow.

It's possible he just doesn't have it in him anymore. You see it all the time. There are tons of examples of creative types just losing their spark and either putting out mediocre work or disappearing. Maybe he just can't do it anymore, and his ego won't let him get a ghost writer to help.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 5, 2021

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

nine-gear crow posted:

And you know what? Good for him. I hope he enjoys it.

This is the acceptance stage of grieving. Truly the bad thread is dying.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's possible he just doesn't have it in him anymore. You see it all the time. There are tons of examples of creative types just losing their spark and either putting out mediocre work or disappearing. Maybe he just can't do it anymore, and his ego won't let him get a ghost writer to help.

He's also not good at endings and bringing things together, and he created a total mess of plot threads, so it would take a lot of work to bring everything together in a meaningful way that makes sense and doesn't involve the sort of fast traveling nonsense Season 8 engaged in.

He probably doesn't want to have people wait 10 more years and then have another book which is only a disappointment, he's sort of trapped by his own success, though given how bad the shows ending was he actually has a pretty low bar to get over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cavelcade posted:

This is the acceptance stage of grieving. Truly the bad thread is dying.

I dunno, I just find something weirdly inspiring about doing barely half a job, getting a huge loving payout for it, and then letting two unrelated and inherently hateable morons take the rap for your cockup and riding off into the sunset scot-free. The lazy bastard in me finds that story appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

But GRRM isn’t blowing off working to go have fun in a cool way. He’s blowing off working to be a creepy rear end in a top hat at conventions and edit Wild Cards.