Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is that something that would be able to be dug up on the way back machine or internet archive?

Good idea... I gave it a try and both URLs just turn up a “you’re not logged in!” page, which in a couple cases also says that the thread URL is invalid. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As for why they don’t want things to end, it’s probably doomscrolling addiction, or having a reason to scold people.

Not gonna lie I loving miss quarantine.

I got so much poo poo done. Learned new skills. Made a bunch of stuff. Work hours were cut back. Didn't have to see people. No work or social events to get forced into. That poo poo was great.

I mean yeah everything else fuckin sucked, but that part was awesome personally.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm prone to fits of high anxiety and my job involves directly handling covid-infected equipment and I don't think I was even half as scared of it a year ago when I was basically in my state's ground zero as some people are now, still isolating their groceries. I'd say I want to give them a hug but that would be extra unappreciated

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shelley posted:

Good idea... I gave it a try and both URLs just turn up a “you’re not logged in!” page, which in a couple cases also says that the thread URL is invalid. :(

archived by the library of congress just have to... check out a copy of the forums?

how does that work, anyway?

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

archived by the library of congress just have to... check out a copy of the forums?

how does that work, anyway?

I didn’t even think to try the LOC, and... it’s not as tough to access as I thought it would be.

Here’s the main entry. You click “View Captures” and that takes you to a calendar view of captures of the main page. If you have a specific URL, you can search for it... but sadly neither of the first two American Dream threads are there.

You can read front page articles from 2002, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

drat, the interest on the money owed for those articles must be insane by now. Has Jeffrey reached out to any of them to offer to make them whole?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pentyne posted:

drat, the interest on the money owed for those articles must be insane by now. Has Jeffrey reached out to any of them to offer to make them whole?

Make them wh...? What, does he wanna gently caress em or somethin?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

christmas boots posted:

does he wanna gently caress em or somethin?
yes

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Make them wh...? What, does he wanna gently caress em or somethin?

wait, how do you resolve business negotiations?

pentyne has a new favorite as of 05:12 on May 5, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

pentyne posted:

Yes, and one even came back and said he didn't, and then got overwhelmingly owned because not only did Mr. Yos offer to pay him back, but kept receipts to make sure he could prove the dude turned him down.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah that's the thing explicitly being referenced

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

quick, make a joke to ease the tension

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Something Awful.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Grimey Drawer
These days, if u say ur from something awful they throw you in prison

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Regarde Aduck posted:

These days, if u say ur from something awful they throw you in prison

And rightfully so!

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
I hope I'm not getting early dementia because I think this happened here.

But does anyone recall some 4/20 celebration planning post in TCC, with just these ever-increasing amounts of weed being consumed in specific ways, culminating in watching that 'What the %@#$ Do We Know' movie?

And secondly, was there some ridiculous 'when is rape permissible' discussion where someone came up with the idea of the avenging black man?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WendyO posted:

I hope I'm not getting early dementia because I think this happened here.

But does anyone recall some 4/20 celebration planning post in TCC, with just these ever-increasing amounts of weed being consumed in specific ways, culminating in watching that 'What the %@#$ Do We Know' movie?

And secondly, was there some ridiculous 'when is rape permissible' discussion where someone came up with the idea of the avenging black man?

There was definitely a "rape is sometimes justified" thread that involved discussion of rape as punishment.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That was Ferretball's stupid contrarian thread where he came up within convoluted scenarios where he thought it'd be morally justifable to commit rape. God that's a twenty year old post now

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I can't go into COVID or climate change threads anymore. I peeked into the CSPAM climate change thread a couple weeks ago out of curiosity, read like two pages, and it sent me into a depressive spiral for the rest of the day. I just stay away for my own mental health. Sometimes it feels like I'm putting my head in the sand but at least for right now I want to focus on things I can actually control rather than doom-spiraling about things I can't.

I can be a little more level-headed about COVID, I guess, but it still sucks. My assumption has been for a while now that COVID is here to stay. Not like it is now, necessarily, but like, I'm just assuming that for the rest of my life I'll be getting COVID shots alongside my flu shots and hearing about COVID death numbers alongside flu death numbers. We've just got "the flu but a lot worse" now and the old flu's still there. Maybe that's wrong, maybe I'm even underreacting to it, I really don't know. But I do wonder what the shift from "pandemic" to "endemic" is going to look like.

I also try to stay out of either, but its for different reasons. The doomposting in the COVID threads is frustrating and overblown, like yes, its been terrible and, with it becoming endemic, things are going to suck more going forward, in perpetuity, but its not the end of the world.

In the climate threads its just constantly seeing more and bigger signs saying "Hey everbody, guess what?? We found the Great Filter!"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
There's Covid thread posters intentionally stirring poo poo by posting completely unsourced bullshit about vaccines not working, and that doesn't help.

I unbookmarked those threads when there started to be hostility to the idea of wanting to see people again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

zakharov posted:

There's Covid thread posters intentionally stirring poo poo by posting completely unsourced bullshit about vaccines not working, and that doesn't help.

I unbookmarked those threads when there started to be hostility to the idea of wanting to see people again.

I stopped last year when someone had a full blown angry tantrum at another poster for going golfing with people in their household, of all loving things.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

In the household? Broken windows are no laughing matter. :colbert:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Marcade posted:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Marcade posted:

broken window policing strikes again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

*quickly reaches over and turns your monitor off*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zakharov posted:

Well what did you expect from goons?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So Jeff and astral figured out what the strange slowness of the site was being caused by.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What a doozy.

The content management system for the frontpage has been facing denial of service attacks. It was not behind cloudflare for poorly-considered reasons and thus vulnerable to DoS. I found this when I noticed an excess of connections to that server. While I knew this was one of the oldest and most poorly-maintained parts of the site, I had no idea how bad it was.

Unlike the rest of the site, this particular component was using apache. Despite the machine running an up to date operating system, unbenknownst to me, it was running a manually-installed version of apache from the stone age. Dinosaurs hosted their websites on more modern software than this. This is a serious security concern - this version of apache was vulnerable to all manner of issues with cross-site scripting and SSL vulnerabilities. Lucky for us, the site did not support SSL, and was only accessible to people on a very strict IP white list. Unluckily for us, this IP white list was implemented at the application layer, so our machine would still have to execute something to deny the request. There is no evidence that we have been breached, merely spammed with connections. Unfortunately, that means they were not able to, for example, improve your avatar. I have stopped this for now and will not be running that version of apache ever again.

This server was not created with any sense of separation of concerns. Many different miscellaneous parts of the site are hosted there - images, stylesheets, etc. I have to imagine this DoS traffic was responsible for some of the slowness you guys have experienced. It does mean that we won't be seeing new frontpage articles while we fix this up.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

no...not no front page articles...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zil posted:

So Jeff and astral figured out what the strange slowness of the site was being caused by.

(taps microphone)

eeeeeeeeeeeee

(clears throat)

There's, uh, there's a front page?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zil posted:

One possibly-contributing cause.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been refreshing a lot to check for front page updates, sorry.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can only imagine how many times people have downloaded the SA database and people didn't even know lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there should be calliope music playing whenever someone examines this site's backend

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the most ancient parts of the site runs through excel macros.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of ancient history, what the gently caress happened here?

What is so bad your account gets taken out back and shot in the head?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

pentyne posted:

he found THE bus

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pentyne posted:

Improper capitalization. Those were harsh times.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

pentyne posted:

Asked about a large pastry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pastry of the Year posted:

Asked about a large pastry.

Is large pastry like the opposite of small bart?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)