Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Congrats on the new role! You're a super help and I'm happy to use your code when I buy things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Verizon is offering me $450 as Verizon Giftcard a line to switch back. Can I use that to pay the phone bill?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Verizon is offering me $450 as Verizon Giftcard a line to switch back. Can I use that to pay the phone bill?

I assume it’s a $450 BYOD switcher , so the quick question is are you keeping the same phone or getting a new one ?

The answer otherwise is yes, gift cards can always be used to pay your bill lump sum, which is their main use case anyway. Post away on any questions on plans, etc, and yeah, feel free to PM for a referral link.

Endless Mike posted:

Congrats on the new role! You're a super help and I'm happy to use your code when I buy things.

Appreciate it ! It’s weird going from 12+ years in retail to work at home, but I’ll take it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Duckman2008 posted:

I assume it’s a $450 BYOD switcher , so the quick question is are you keeping the same phone or getting a new one ?

The answer otherwise is yes, gift cards can always be used to pay your bill lump sum, which is their main use case anyway. Post away on any questions on plans, etc, and yeah, feel free to PM for a referral link.

Appreciate it ! It’s weird going from 12+ years in retail to work at home, but I’ll take it.

We will keep our phones. Just switched to Xfinity mobile like 5 months ago after upgrading to new iPhones. But for $450 a line for a year commitment I can do the $80 unlimited plan for both lines and still come out a little ahead. Just a better tethering plan and disney+. If there’s a link you want me to use send it on over in PM

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

We will keep our phones. Just switched to Xfinity mobile like 5 months ago after upgrading to new iPhones. But for $450 a line for a year commitment I can do the $80 unlimited plan for both lines and still come out a little ahead. Just a better tethering plan and disney+. If there’s a link you want me to use send it on over in PM

Word. I’ll check the promo tomorrow but I think you’re spot on, I’ll also PM you a referral link tomorrow. Should be a pretty simple switch back.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Verizon tech support is not helping me at all what with lost records and dropped calls.

I got an unlocked Samsung s20 +ultra I brought into Verizon Sept 2020. It worked up until last week. Right now it cant make any networked calls, but everything else works. Roaming data, wifi, and emergency calls all work. But regular calls and texts dont. Current plan is to go get a new sim card and see if that works, followed by a factory reset of the phone. Verizon is confused because as far as they can tell, no device was ever registered on their network. My phone is a ghost.

Are there any magic words I can use when I next call Verizon tech support? If a new sim card and factory reset dont work, is it time to look for a new phone/carrier?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

So Verizon tech support is not helping me at all what with lost records and dropped calls.

I got an unlocked Samsung s20 +ultra I brought into Verizon Sept 2020. It worked up until last week. Right now it cant make any networked calls, but everything else works. Roaming data, wifi, and emergency calls all work. But regular calls and texts dont. Current plan is to go get a new sim card and see if that works, followed by a factory reset of the phone. Verizon is confused because as far as they can tell, no device was ever registered on their network. My phone is a ghost.

Are there any magic words I can use when I next call Verizon tech support? If a new sim card and factory reset dont work, is it time to look for a new phone/carrier?

That’s very weird (obviously I guess)

Absolutely get a new SIM ASAP, that can be the simple solution. If it doesn’t fix it , call back in to care, explain you already worked with level 1 tech support and you need to go to level 2 tech.

Usually what it is is the phone somehow jumped off the network, and they gotta keep removing / adding SOC codes to figure out what isn’t talking to it (if the SIM swap doesn’t work). Verizon’s system is much better now a days at updating the IMEI, so not sure why it wouldn’t find the IMEI of an unlocked S20 Ultra. Level 2 tech can add that IMEI to the system though.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I'm trying to add an Apple watch to my plan, but the app keeps getting hung up on my E911 address. I've tried a dozen or more variants of my address (Ave/Avenue, St Louis versus Saint Louis, with and without the apartment number), and it's no longer fun. I want to place the order online (either through the website or the app) because there's a $150 promo code that presumably wouldn't be usable in-person. Any suggestions on how to persuade Verizon that I know my home address?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I'm trying to add an Apple watch to my plan, but the app keeps getting hung up on my E911 address. I've tried a dozen or more variants of my address (Ave/Avenue, St Louis versus Saint Louis, with and without the apartment number), and it's no longer fun. I want to place the order online (either through the website or the app) because there's a $150 promo code that presumably wouldn't be usable in-person. Any suggestions on how to persuade Verizon that I know my home address?

Hi, if you want , can call you tomorrow and order it for you.

As always, don’t feel obligated to accept help, but I think I can set this up for you.

I’ll PM you for details.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 11, 2021

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

One thing to try is to put your address into here, it spits out the USPS standardized version of your address. IIRC at one point I couldn't actually get wifi calling to activate until I used this to get an address that the E911 address verifier would accept.

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm?byaddress

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone outside of California getting dropped calls ? Cant receive or call. Just hangs up

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Couple verizon questions. I have 2 go unlimited lines and just added a start unlimited line which showed as being 45 per line after adding but now all lines are still 55. Autopay is still on for the account but I keep getting promos that I need to enable autopay to get the 45 but I can't since it's already on from everything I can tell. Is there any way to tell what's going on to get it down to 45/line like everything I can find says it should be?

Also I have an iphone 6s I'd like to upgrade to a Pixel 4a/5 or equivalent Samsung but I was wondering what discounts are available.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jymmybob posted:

Couple verizon questions. I have 2 go unlimited lines and just added a start unlimited line which showed as being 45 per line after adding but now all lines are still 55. Autopay is still on for the account but I keep getting promos that I need to enable autopay to get the 45 but I can't since it's already on from everything I can tell. Is there any way to tell what's going on to get it down to 45/line like everything I can find says it should be?

Also I have an iphone 6s I'd like to upgrade to a Pixel 4a/5 or equivalent Samsung but I was wondering what discounts are available.

Few things.

Start unlimited is $45 with autopay, go is $50. Only reason to have Go is if you use the low speed hotspot. If you don’t , have them move the other two lines down.

Autopay is with debit card or checking account. Is that your autopay? It should hit instantly discount wise once enrolled.

Full disclosure: good chance Verizon will offer you $579 on a 6S trade in (if it isn’t damaged) , but unfortunately the promos are towards a new version of the same manufacturer. So they’ll give it towards an iPhone but not a Samsung.

Again, I can’t say whether you have a promo or not without pulling your account, but they’ve been really aggressive.

Anyway, otherwise it’s gonna mostly be just the cost of the phone android wise. If I see something else I’ll let you know , but I think that’s what it is.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I got a pretty busted iPhone 7+. The battery is fine (I replaced it) but the screen is cracked. Is that still trade-in viable? I’d love to get $400 off an iPhone 12.

The online menu seemed like it’d give the discount, but I wonder if VZ would do take-backs, haha.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

I got a pretty busted iPhone 7+. The battery is fine (I replaced it) but the screen is cracked. Is that still trade-in viable? I’d love to get $400 off an iPhone 12.

The online menu seemed like it’d give the discount, but I wonder if VZ would do take-backs, haha.

Unfortunately the retention offers require it to be not cracked , with an iPhone 7 the most you’ll get for a cracked 7 is $100 towards a 12. Not awful, but that would be the most. It’s the 8 and up that get the $440 they’re advertising.

If you don’t have your heart set on the 12, there’s a good chance (not guaranteed , I would have to check your account) that they’ll offer $300 off an iPhone 11. So food for thought there if you don’t need the latest phone.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Verizon thread, your thoughts:
Yesterday, my wife and I started having problems sending and receiving texts on her iPhone and my Galaxy.
Sometimes calls were affected too. For instance my mother in law called 3 times in a row, but when my wife answered, the call would immediately drop. But when my wife called her back, the call went through without issue.
Least affected seems to be data, but once or twice that has failed too (fail to load a website, failed to load the Verizon app)
In order of most affected to least:
MMS
SMS
Voice
Data(internet, though this may be getting affected by being on the house wifi)
Thoughts?

Verizon customer service is pissing me off cause they have me and my wife troubleshooting for phone issues (any new updates, did you install your sim card wrong, etc), as if thats the problem, when it seems to be a network issue.

Thoughts?

Resolutions?

Culprits?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Verizon thread, your thoughts:
Yesterday, my wife and I started having problems sending and receiving texts on her iPhone and my Galaxy.
Sometimes calls were affected too. For instance my mother in law called 3 times in a row, but when my wife answered, the call would immediately drop. But when my wife called her back, the call went through without issue.
Least affected seems to be data, but once or twice that has failed too (fail to load a website, failed to load the Verizon app)
In order of most affected to least:
MMS
SMS
Voice
Data(internet, though this may be getting affected by being on the house wifi)
Thoughts?

Verizon customer service is pissing me off cause they have me and my wife troubleshooting for phone issues (any new updates, did you install your sim card wrong, etc), as if thats the problem, when it seems to be a network issue.

Thoughts?

Resolutions?

Culprits?

They had an outage in Southern California recently, if you happen to be there FYI.

I would swap SIM cards. It can be the network, it could be the devices. With 2 devices , yeah more likely to be the network, but hard to say for sure. But they’ll want you to swap SIMs , and it’s free, so I would get that out of the way. They’ll mail it or they’re free at a Corp store.

Is it a specific area or everywhere ?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Seems to be everywhere. We were out of town, In a pretty bad thunderstorm, when the issues started yesterday. And have been dealing with them since then, even back home.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Seems to be everywhere. We were out of town, In a pretty bad thunderstorm, when the issues started yesterday. And have been dealing with them since then, even back home.

ok, that is super weird, and just your account, not anyone else around you ?

i would swap sim cards, if you were together maybe it knocked the old sims off the network or something.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

I just caught Verizon app manager downloading the wish app without my permission. It seems super shady. I scanned my galaxy s10+ with malwarebytes and came up with nothing. I was able to remove the wish app. Wtf is up with this?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hi Duckman thanks for keeping tabs on this thread and helping folks out!

My wife and I currently have Verizon pay as you go sims. Would we qualify for the $650 BYOD credit if we switch to postpaid? If so, any issues with us signing up for a family plan and receiving two credits? Getting 10-11 months of free service is pretty tempting.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

Hi Duckman thanks for keeping tabs on this thread and helping folks out!

My wife and I currently have Verizon pay as you go sims. Would we qualify for the $650 BYOD credit if we switch to postpaid? If so, any issues with us signing up for a family plan and receiving two credits? Getting 10-11 months of free service is pretty tempting.

Not a problem !

If you mean you are on Verizon pre paid, unfortunately going pre to post does not get you the gift cards. Trade in promos and BOGO yes, gift cards no.

Any questions on that let me know , here to help.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Not a problem !

If you mean you are on Verizon pre paid, unfortunately going pre to post does not get you the gift cards. Trade in promos and BOGO yes, gift cards no.

Any questions on that let me know , here to help.

Boo thanks. Good to know though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

Boo thanks. Good to know though.

Totally. Only work around I can think of is get new numbers and move your current numbers to Google voice. Although that would be $450, it’s $650 only if porting a number on the play more or up unlimited.

Pre to post doesn’t get the $450 either. BOGO yes, gift card no.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Totally. Only work around I can think of is get new numbers and move your current numbers to Google voice. Although that would be $450, it’s $650 only if porting a number on the play more or up unlimited.

Pre to post doesn’t get the $450 either. BOGO yes, gift card no.

I don't care about keeping the carrier numbers. I already use a Google voice number for everything, my SIM number is irrelevant to me.

So if we sign up as a new customer and get new numbers, instead of porting, we could potentially get the $450 credits? Or would the system recognize the IMEI as a prepaid number?

Unfortunately the BOGO is not really attractive to us since my wife got a new phone recently and doesn't need to upgrade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

I don't care about keeping the carrier numbers. I already use a Google voice number for everything, my SIM number is irrelevant to me.

So if we sign up as a new customer and get new numbers, instead of porting, we could potentially get the $450 credits? Or would the system recognize the IMEI as a prepaid number?

Unfortunately the BOGO is not really attractive to us since my wife got a new phone recently and doesn't need to upgrade.

Yup, bring your own devices get $450 credits. Unlimited plan required, new customer only, port not required.

So Go Unlimited: no mobile hotspot , can be throttled if on congested tower
$140 , or $120 with autopay (total)

Play More Unlimited: 15GB mobile hotspot, 50GB premium data, free Disney bundle
$160, or $140 with autopay

You can do one of each plan too, so $70+$60= $130 (with autopay)

You would just set aside the prepaid SIM cards and let them expire. Please make sure you turn off autopay of course !

If you want me to set it up for you PM me name, number, etc. I work the weekend , so I am around Friday, Sat and Sun, in my new job I literally call you and setup everything over the phone. Don’t feel obligated of course, but if you want a person helping I don’t mind at all.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup, bring your own devices get $450 credits. Unlimited plan required, new customer only, port not required.

So Go Unlimited: no mobile hotspot , can be throttled if on congested tower
$140 , or $120 with autopay (total)

Play More Unlimited: 15GB mobile hotspot, 50GB premium data, free Disney bundle
$160, or $140 with autopay

You can do one of each plan too, so $70+$60= $130 (with autopay)

You would just set aside the prepaid SIM cards and let them expire. Please make sure you turn off autopay of course !

If you want me to set it up for you PM me name, number, etc. I work the weekend , so I am around Friday, Sat and Sun, in my new job I literally call you and setup everything over the phone. Don’t feel obligated of course, but if you want a person helping I don’t mind at all.

I'm moving internationally this weekend and I'll have to run the plan by my wife too, but I think I'll hit you up next week. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

I'm moving internationally this weekend and I'll have to run the plan by my wife too, but I think I'll hit you up next week. Thanks!

sounds good , i work pretty much every weekend so whenever works for you tends to work for me.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things.

Start unlimited is $45 with autopay, go is $50. Only reason to have Go is if you use the low speed hotspot. If you don’t , have them move the other two lines down.

Autopay is with debit card or checking account. Is that your autopay? It should hit instantly discount wise once enrolled.

Full disclosure: good chance Verizon will offer you $579 on a 6S trade in (if it isn’t damaged) , but unfortunately the promos are towards a new version of the same manufacturer. So they’ll give it towards an iPhone but not a Samsung.

Again, I can’t say whether you have a promo or not without pulling your account, but they’ve been really aggressive.

Anyway, otherwise it’s gonna mostly be just the cost of the phone android wise. If I see something else I’ll let you know , but I think that’s what it is.

A belated thanks for the info, it was all spot on. I swapped all lines to Start then changed payment to debit and everything went through like expected. The last time I did account stuff was still giving me autopay discounts with credit cards which threw me off.

I'm ending up getting a 12 on my line with the 579 trade-in and planning to use a $300 upgrade promo on another line to go from a 6s to iphone se. The question I have now is that the 579 shows up in the cart but when I use the 300 offer link and get everything into the cart, there's no indication any promo or discount is applied. I've tried on both eligible lines and never see it show up like the 579 discount does so is there a trick or just assume it'll apply after checking out?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jymmybob posted:

A belated thanks for the info, it was all spot on. I swapped all lines to Start then changed payment to debit and everything went through like expected. The last time I did account stuff was still giving me autopay discounts with credit cards which threw me off.

I'm ending up getting a 12 on my line with the 579 trade-in and planning to use a $300 upgrade promo on another line to go from a 6s to iphone se. The question I have now is that the 579 shows up in the cart but when I use the 300 offer link and get everything into the cart, there's no indication any promo or discount is applied. I've tried on both eligible lines and never see it show up like the 579 discount does so is there a trick or just assume it'll apply after checking out?

It should just go through, and it does notate the account so you’ll def get it.

If you need help processing , same as I was saying to the other poster, I can give you call Friday if you need it and process the order for you.

And if you want to order before then, feel free to PM me and I can send you my referral code. I forgot to mention that, my bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is this the thread for asking about Verizon Internet + TV? I just bought a house where the previous owners had those Verizon services installed. I have a Verizon phone plan and it's going to cost way more money than I'm willing to spend to set up the house for my current ISP, so it feels like a no-brainer to just use the Verizon hardware that's already available. I might as well, right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you have the option of Verizon FiOS, use Verizon FiOS. They are head and shoulders better than any of the cable operators out there (Cox, etc.), and only occasionally get beat by some local fiber operators if you're in a big city.

No data caps, decent prices, and dedicated fiber lines? What's not to love?

The only minor downside is if you want to use FiOS Verizon TV, you need to use their provided modem/router combo if you want to keep interactive guide / PPV without doing some weird network topology hacks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Is this the thread for asking about Verizon Internet + TV? I just bought a house where the previous owners had those Verizon services installed. I have a Verizon phone plan and it's going to cost way more money than I'm willing to spend to set up the house for my current ISP, so it feels like a no-brainer to just use the Verizon hardware that's already available. I might as well, right?

Yeah, I don’t do the phone side, but Fios is pretty good and recommended. Better than Comcast.

Sometimes they have a promo since you’re already a cell phone customer, and they def give a discount for having both, so ask them about that too.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I'm am on a two line plan with my mother. She is dying and in the care of relatives who are extraordinarily hostile to me and my side of the family.

Is there a way to port my number out of my Verizon account without involving her? I could care less except for the fact that I have 2 factor auth set up for a bunch of my financial stuff and don't want to be screwed if she passes and they shut down the account without telling me (which they will).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'm am on a two line plan with my mother. She is dying and in the care of relatives who are extraordinarily hostile to me and my side of the family.

Is there a way to port my number out of my Verizon account without involving her? I could care less except for the fact that I have 2 factor auth set up for a bunch of my financial stuff and don't want to be screwed if she passes and they shut down the account without telling me (which they will).

Sorry to hear it, that sucks on all levels.

Are you authorized on the account ? If so , you can call transfer of service at (888) 832-4540 and move your number over that way to your own name. Given the circumstance, if you are authorized I would do it ASAP in case they try snd remove you.

If you aren’t removed then it’ll be tough, either she needs to authorize , or , since she may not be in a state to authorize , the person who is power of attorney is who handles it unfortunately.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry to hear it, that sucks on all levels.

Are you authorized on the account ? If so , you can call transfer of service at (888) 832-4540 and move your number over that way to your own name. Given the circumstance, if you are authorized I would do it ASAP in case they try snd remove you.

If you aren’t removed then it’ll be tough, either she needs to authorize , or , since she may not be in a state to authorize , the person who is power of attorney is who handles it unfortunately.

I am, but she tried to access the account so often while off her gourd that it's locked out and the unlock process will feed through her line.

I think I might just get a new account and number and switch all my dependent stuff over to the new number before anything bad happens.

Thx for the help though :)

Parkinson's sucks and so do greedy relatives.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I am, but she tried to access the account so often while off her gourd that it's locked out and the unlock process will feed through her line.

I think I might just get a new account and number and switch all my dependent stuff over to the new number before anything bad happens.

Thx for the help though :)

Parkinson's sucks and so do greedy relatives.

Two things

1. If you are Power of attorney , you can go to a compare store, prove it, and they’ll notate it and then you can call the transfer line and keep your number.

2. If you end up getting a new number and activating a new account in your name, just FYI if you get a new number with bring your own device, you can get a $450 Verizon gift card (use it to pay your bill). So if that ends up being the case, at least get the most bang for your buck. (If you keep your number this will of course be irrelevant).

Any other questions post away or feel free to PM.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Two things

1. If you are Power of attorney , you can go to a compare store, prove it, and they’ll notate it and then you can call the transfer line and keep your number.

2. If you end up getting a new number and activating a new account in your name, just FYI if you get a new number with bring your own device, you can get a $450 Verizon gift card (use it to pay your bill). So if that ends up being the case, at least get the most bang for your buck. (If you keep your number this will of course be irrelevant).

Any other questions post away or feel free to PM.

My brother and I are power of attorney, but accessing the paperwork is not possible at this time. They literally came in and changed the locks on the house.

#2 might be the best bet. I really appreciate your help. It's calming me down and I might PM you in the next several weeks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

My brother and I are power of attorney, but accessing the paperwork is not possible at this time. They literally came in and changed the locks on the house.

#2 might be the best bet. I really appreciate your help. It's calming me down and I might PM you in the next several weeks.

Totally , and yeah again, that’s super stressful stuff, I’m sorry to hear it.

In general, my theme here is do not feel obligated to process something through me if it is not the right timing for yourself (or whatever). That said, FYI I am off until June 4, if you need help in a week or so (or more) setting up a new account, PM me and I can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

My husband and I have been on a 16 GB plan (thank you duckman for helping get that started a few years ago) but going back to the office has necessitated switching to unlimited for us I think. Are there any promos/methods we can use to save there other than the autopay discount? I had gotten some emails months ago about switching but don't remember the offer and I don't know if that's something worth waiting for (free Disney+ etc is not attractive, I don't know that they offer any savings on unlimited plans other than autopay).