Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Vandar posted:

Something about this feels really...generic? Phoned in? to me. Like I wouldn't have guessed this was Pixar if it didn't have the logo at the start.

It looks cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I've yet to be disappointed by a Pixar film so I'm looking forward to seeing this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

It's Pixar but why do I think of Wallace & Gromit when I see this? The teeth and mouths?

Vandar posted:

Something about this feels really...generic? Phoned in? to me. Like I wouldn't have guessed this was Pixar if it didn't have the logo at the start.

It's changing, what other people have described as, the Pixar house style for the first time in a long while. Whether that's good or bad will depend on how the movie turns out. But I at least appreciate that the movie looks different than their usual movies. I'm really looking forward to it.

Hollismason posted:

I've yet to be disappointed by a Pixar film so I'm looking forward to seeing this.

I really didn't like Onward, and maintain Toy Story 4 was a bad idea. But that's just me.

They certainly have a way better track record than almost every other studio out there.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 28, 2021

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Did anybody see the Good Dinosaur? Cuz that's the only pixar I've never watched because I heard it was bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hoop Dreams posted:

Did anybody see the Good Dinosaur? Cuz that's the only pixar I've never watched because I heard it was bad.

It was pretty good, I liked it, but not all that memorable.

Like, again, I like it, it's a good movie, but there's a reason people don't talk about it anymore.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hoop Dreams posted:

The Good Dinosaur is fantastic. It had tons of production problems and was basically remade at the last second (for the better I feel).

But it's good. It's way slower and more deliberately paced than other pixar films so it doesn't have a huge following. My kids just latched onto it immediately though and I've seen it upwards of 50 or 60 times and have never been bored or disappointed.

It's not for everyone and it takes a few watches but it's one of my favorite Pixar films.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I loved Toy Story 4 but really didn't like Onward or Soul

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I liked Soul overall but I was into the story of the struggling music teacher but then he died and I remembered the premise and was like oh. Right. Now for Pixar's take on metaphysics and the afterlife.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sony Music issued a takedown of my Ghost in the Shell trailer edit that had over 600k views on YouTube, lol. The takedown happened 5 YEARS AFTER it was uploaded. What the hell, lmao. Oh well, :rip:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

Sony Music issued a takedown of my Ghost in the Shell trailer edit that had over 600k views on YouTube, lol. The takedown happened 5 YEARS AFTER it was uploaded. What the hell, lmao. Oh well, :rip:

Didn’t they offer to fly you out to Japan when you made that? What the heck?!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Didn’t they offer to fly you out to Japan when you made that? What the heck?!

They did, but that was all Paramount which I'm guessing is a separate entity from Sony Music Entertainment; I don't think they had anything to do with the takedown. The claim was from SME on behalf of BMG Japan—their dispute was over my use of the Kenji Kawaii track. I just find it odd because the takedown happened so long after the trailer has been up and also because my YT channel is irrelevant lol.

[edit] I'm leaving that extra "i" typo in Kenji's surname :3:

[edit 2] Maybe Kenji Kawai doesn't want his music associated with the live-action Ghost in the Shell film, I'll just choose to believe that haha. I will be ok with that.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 29, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think that is missing from the Luca trailer is... any semblance of an actual story.

Like, I get the "message." Luca is clearly a kid that can't let go of his fears and live. But .. like... what's the story? It's just a total mishmash of random scenes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

I was into the story of the struggling music teacher but then he died and I remembered the premise and was like oh. Right. Now for Pixar's take on metaphysics and the afterlife.

Man. Same

The jazz story should have been the whole story.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

I was into the story of the struggling music teacher but then he died and I remembered the premise and was like oh. Right. Now for Pixar's take on metaphysics and the afterlife.

Man. Same

The jazz story should have been the whole story.

edit:

teagone posted:

They did, but that was all Paramount which I'm guessing is a separate entity from Sony Music Entertainment; I don't think they had anything to do with the takedown. The claim was from SME on behalf of BMG Japan—their dispute was over my use of the Kenji Kawaii track. I just find it odd because the takedown happened so long after the trailer has been up and also because my YT channel is irrelevant lol.

[edit] I'm leaving that extra "i" typo in Kenji's surname :3:

[edit 2] Maybe Kenji Kawai doesn't want his music associated with the live-action Ghost in the Shell film, I'll just choose to believe that haha. I will be ok with that.

After licensing music from libraries for ten years and now being in the process of launching my own library (shamelessplug) I would say that the issue is you don't always want one of your library songs associated with one particular film/campaign/whatever forever as it limits the chances of that song getting licensed again for future productions. You can't make a studio take down their trailer but you sure can go after fan edits that never paid a licensing fee, just my opinion though I could be wrong.

Just look at that unreal Immigrant Song remake from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo now getting licensed for car commercials.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BonoMan posted:

I think that is missing from the Luca trailer is... any semblance of an actual story.

Like, I get the "message." Luca is clearly a kid that can't let go of his fears and live. But .. like... what's the story? It's just a total mishmash of random scenes.

Seems like its sort of a Kiki's Delivery Service type movie, except with no romance in it. I'm not convinced current Pixar can pull that off.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BonoMan posted:

I found them! The person who wants the whole movie spoiled in the trailer!

Anyway, Polygon had some more plot details:

Luca follows young Luca and Alberto, two young sea monsters who turn into humans when out of the water, as they venture into the surface world for the first time after being cautioned how dangerous it is for their kind. Footage provided on the press day revealed a lushly animated Italian coastal town, one where the animators worked to break photorealism in order to capture a specific storybook-like feeling. After encountering a cocky Vespa owner, the boys want to buy a scooter of their own, and they team up with plucky Giulia to enter the town’s annual race. One hiccup? Giulia also happens to be the local fishmonger’s daughter.

The movie was specifically inspired by Casarosa’s own summers growing up, particularly the close friendship he had with his friend Alberto, whom he named the character after. Both the real Alberto and the character he inspired are big, bright, larger-than-life personalities who pushed their shy friends out of their shells.

“The type of friendship that is gonna push you into trouble,” says Casarosa. “Push you into change, push you into finding yourself.”

But at the same time, Casarosa says, while Alberto inspires Luca, Alberto also gets much-needed validation from Luca. Their bond isn’t romantic, but it’s still deeply emotional and transformative, and just as important as a first romance. All three of the kids at the core of Luca find something in one another at this pivotal moment of their lives, when they step out from the comfort of their family bubble for the first time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zero One posted:

I found them! The person who wants the whole movie spoiled in the trailer!

Anyway, Polygon had some more plot details:

That is quite the takeaway from "hey can I get ANY semblance of what the driving narrative thread is?" It's also funny because I am Mr. Don't Spoil It In The Trailer Please.

But the lack of *any* narrative makes it hard to get me interested.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kiimo posted:

After licensing music from libraries for ten years and now being in the process of launching my own library (shamelessplug) I would say that the issue is you don't always want one of your library songs associated with one particular film/campaign/whatever forever as it limits the chances of that song getting licensed again for future productions. You can't make a studio take down their trailer but you sure can go after fan edits that never paid a licensing fee, just my opinion though I could be wrong.

Just look at that unreal Immigrant Song remake from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo now getting licensed for car commercials.

That makes sense. Guess the copyright claimant was issued an order to drop the hammer since they got all the could out of my video maybe? Either way, I'm not really upset; I just was dumbfounded as to why after so long and only now would they file a dispute, but what you said is probably why.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fan trailer for the classic Jodorowsky/Moebius comic The Incal:

https://vimeo.com/30821608

imo it works!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

fan trailer for the classic Jodorowsky/Moebius comic The Incal:

https://vimeo.com/30821608

imo it works!

You have made my heart ache and now I am mad at you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

feedmyleg posted:

You have made my heart ache and now I am mad at you.

i also did that to myself, and i am the same

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

It's Pixar but why do I think of Wallace & Gromit when I see this? The teeth and mouths?

Yeah.
Both have mouths that are all curves, gape as they talk, dont have pointy thin edge corners.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 30, 2021

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

It’s a great look and I’m glad they are trying something a little different.

It’s more subdued than what aardman does, just kinda riffing on it a bit.

More excited for this pixar feature than any in recent memory.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Soul, wanting to stick with the main characters story on earth is surely intentional. It's the whole theme of the film

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
It never ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I’m ready for the fourth Fantastic Four origin story :shepface:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mierenneuker posted:

I’m ready for the fourth Fantastic Four origin story :shepface:

There was a third?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a third?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN0FoR_FlZg

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's like an all you can eat but with only deserts and you're full and sick but sure I'll try that lemon tart because people won't shut up about it and it will taste good I'm sure but also I may vomit

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

It's like an all you can eat but with only deserts and you're full and sick but sure I'll try that lemon tart because people won't shut up about it and it will taste good I'm sure but also I may vomit

Nailed it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

kiimo posted:

Yep, bring it the gently caress on. I'm eating the whole dessert cart tonight baby

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah, I wanna Paul Verhoeven Nunsploitation movie!

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-31QJXV3iA :nws:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 5, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't, but it looks very well made!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

You may want to put a NSFW warning on that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

You may want to put a NSFW warning on that.

Yeah there's 3 or 4 shots of boobies and some sexual activity for those at work.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

I don't even mind Marvel movies as somewhat mindless entertainment, but I would have hated being a a cinema with people hollering whenever anything happens. The fans who think this is actually some kind of cinematic masterpiece are the worst.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Opening night crowds being loud and cheering on action movies actually owns super hard and it’s one of my favorite things I miss the most from theaters. It’s cool to feel the crowd even if I’m just happily eating popcorn.

Now if they were hooting and hollering on like Phantom Thread then I’d be annoyed but random Marvel or Star Wars movie? Let’s go.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Being bothered by crowd noise during populist entertainment like that strikes me as very joyless and stuffy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can enjoy genuine organic audience reactions of laughter and "ooh"s and "aah"s and such. But clapping is annoying and yelling out anything during a movie is uber-obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Colonel Whitey posted:

Being bothered by crowd noise during populist entertainment like that strikes me as very joyless and stuffy.

I almost started laughing watching Endgame because someone behind me was crying as Iron Man died.