Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I kinda fell off Idle Thumbs in the last year or two of it, but I super wish Important If True came back. That was where all their best energy was and I'm sad that if they ever decided to podcast again they'd probably prioritize Idle Thumbs since it's the flagship. But I guess we don't have to worry about that much anyway :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
boups boups

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Crate & Crowbar largely hits the part of my brain that really liked Idle Thumbs. They’ve recentlyish embraced long distance podcasting too, which helps a ton since they’re able to keep in touch with most of the hosts they have in rotation. Highly recommended.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Looks like Giant Bomb is dead or very close to it at least.

Please come back, Important if true.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I’m going to miss GB. Feels like this has everything to do with CBS selling them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s crazy, figured they would be there forever.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Jeff sounded full steam ahead we're gonna figure out a future, likening it to pulling over and changing tires, but yikes I dunno.

He said he's never had the level of support from higher-ups he has now, but that certainly doesn't square with Abby and Ben leaving, followed by these three OGs leaving on the same day.

And there's this quote from the GameSpot:

quote:

In a statement, Giant Bomb founder Gerstmann said: "I've spent a lot of the last year thinking about what's next for Giant Bomb and most of those roads lead to a full-on rethink of what it means to be a Website About Video Games in 2021. While I certainly would have loved to solve these challenges with my longtime friends and coworkers by my side, it just wasn't meant to be. I wish Vinny, Alex, and Brad the best. Meanwhile, we have a pretty exciting opportunity to broaden our horizons, rethink every facet of our operation, and get to a place where we're truly able to build that bomb all over again... or die trying."

Speaking to the future of the site, the Giant Bomb team as a whole said: "There is a collective vision for what the future of Giant Bomb is and it involves both familiar and new faces. We're already in talks with creators so that we can begin the next chapter. We're fully aware that this marks a big change and we're using this as an opportunity to rethink what this site is. It's a chance to introduce new personalities from different backgrounds and explore categories and topics that we never have before."

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 4, 2021

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was a huge GB fan early on then got smashed for six over ryan's death. I think I stopped listening a few months later.

I'm left with the crate and crowbar (which is great). I realise I haven't been looking for any new gaming podcasts at all.

Any suggestions?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2021

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Bummer. I think I was actually more upset when they broke the news about Vinny moving to New York though. At this point I mostly feel like they had a great run, and I hope all those vids stick around in some form whatever happens.

I could keep subscribing to GB just for Jeff, but I hope they do something completely new and fresh feeling, especially for however long it would take them to get new hires. Do different kinds of streams and podcasts. Just gently caress around.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Waypoint is pretty good but I always did like Patrick and Austin.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Waypoint’s current crew of Rob / Austin / Patrick and Cado.

I also like insert credits, almost entirely because of Tim Rogers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jippa posted:

I was a huge GB fan early on then got smashed for six over ryan's death. I think I stopped listening a few months later.

I'm left with the crate and crowbar (which is great). I realise I haven't been looking for any new gaming podcasts at all.

Any suggestions?

Retro hour uk, retro asylum, and video game history hour are my recs. All focused on classic games. Retro hour and history hour both get guests from the industry to talk about cool stuff like a bug that could've killed the dreamcast on launch, or what it was like working at atari in the golden age. Retro asylum is a games club podcast usually.

I can't stand the group bullshits for two hours vaguely about games anymore

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Waypoint is extremely good these days (and if you like the chemistry / energy their spinoff More Civilized Age is excellent.) The only real problem I have is that most digressions are great but I can't give a rootin toot about football.

I also recommend Watch Out for Fireballs, but that's more a game club than a weekly news sorta thing.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I would also recommend video game history hour if you're into retro games

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you like strategy games three moves ahead is fantastic as long as rowan kaiser isn't on.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

If you like strategy games three moves ahead is fantastic as long as rowan kaiser isn't on.

Three moves ahead is great, and I love that Bruce and Troy still show up after all these years.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Waypoint radio is a ephemeral thing for me that I constant worry will disappear without notice. As Austin is just laid to run the podcast last i believe and I'm just dreading when some terrible failed upwards Vice CEO looking at the books and realize they are paying for the podcast.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Three moves ahead is great, and I love that Bruce and Troy still show up after all these years.

Everytime I see Bruce, Troy, or Julian is on the episode it's getting played asap.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jippa posted:

Any suggestions?
Castle super beast is pat and woolie, formerly of super best friends play, and they are pretty great together. Sometimes they do go into ridiculous tangents that last forever but they're also extremely real about things most of the time rather than sugarcoating things. They've even had a few guests on, I hope that practice picks up, the guy from WAPO's game section was a really great guest.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Man, that's a bummer. I knew this would come from way back when GBeast split off. I figured that the CBS higher ups never saw them as as worth supporting. Jeff is great as the old video game man, but I'm not sure if he can carry the whole thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Man, that's a bummer. I knew this would come from way back when GBeast split off. I figured that the CBS higher ups never saw them as as worth supporting. Jeff is great as the old video game man, but I'm not sure if he can carry the whole thing.

You knew this would happen when GBeast, which has 310 episodes and is nearly 6 years old, split off? Do you also predict doom for the canadian housing market?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They usually hire pretty good personalities, I can see it working just fine. I’ll miss the GBeast though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is Bakalar moving to San Fran then?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm really disappointed by the Giant Bomb news. Weird how the podcasts have been such a big part of my life. Have oddly-specific memories of listening to them while biking.

Kinda hope they end up somewhere where I can still follow them. Rykert may as well have fallen off the face of the earth for me as I have no interest in wrestling. Him and Vinny interacting is some of the funniest poo poo I have ever heard in my life.

I was happy that Austin and Patrick ended up at Waypoint together, and do like their regular crews.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dan spends more time doing dumb stuff on twitch than his "job"

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

I'm really disappointed by the Giant Bomb news. Weird how the podcasts have been such a big part of my life. Have oddly-specific memories of listening to them while biking.

Kinda hope they end up somewhere where I can still follow them. Rykert may as well have fallen off the face of the earth for me as I have no interest in wrestling. Him and Vinny interacting is some of the funniest poo poo I have ever heard in my life.

I was happy that Austin and Patrick ended up at Waypoint together, and do like their regular crews.

Strange, I also have a specific memory of listening to one of my first bombcasts while riding my bike. It was Dan's story about frying the 'egg whites'.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

Strange, I also have a specific memory of listening to one of my first bombcasts while riding my bike. It was Dan's story about frying the 'egg whites'.

Another one of Dan’s that I loved was the ‘flavour crystals’ from White Castle.

I think Dan is the person I have told my wife the most about out of anyone.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Dan is a big Twitch streamer now, and has a games podcast with two former GameSpot alumni Mike Mahardy and Merry Kish, so if you want more Dan there's plenty of it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know why people like him and good on him but Dan is the definition of failing upwards. I’m probably just jealous.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Pasco posted:

Dan is a big Twitch streamer now, and has a games podcast with two former GameSpot alumni Mike Mahardy and Merry Kish, so if you want more Dan there's plenty of it.

What’s the name of the podcast?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Looks like it just started https://anchor.fm/fireescape

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I know why people like him and good on him but Dan is the definition of failing upwards. I’m probably just jealous.

He legit works super hard, and was willing to smash his head into any problem long enough to get results

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Bombcast hasn’t been the same since Vinny moved home, although that did give us some amazing Austin/Vinny/Alex content

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

He legit works super hard, and was willing to smash his head into any problem long enough to get results

Yes but let’s not pretend he hasn’t had an extreme amount of luck on his side on top of being a white guy.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Thank you!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Np!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Bombcast hasn’t been the same since Vinny moved home, although that did give us some amazing Austin/Vinny/Alex content
When Dan joined, I was disappointed he wouldn't often interact with Vinny... and then my prayers were answered.

But anyway I guess it's implicit that the New York office is completely toast. Wonder what'll happen with Bakalar. I liked him, though a friend considered him "the annoying suit".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Yes but let’s not pretend he hasn’t had an extreme amount of luck on his side on top of being a white guy.

He's lucky but I really think he's also an example of "making your own luck" because he just tries stuff without worrying about failing. He's also the only reason GB had any good and creative content while he was there so I really don't think his success is undeserved.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

He's lucky but I really think he's also an example of "making your own luck" because he just tries stuff without worrying about failing. He's also the only reason GB had any good and creative content while he was there so I really don't think his success is undeserved.

I think Vinny explained it perfectly. He was a nightmare and a pleasure to work with. Lol.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Vinny has been burned out for awhile and you could see it in his content. Brad surprises me though, he was pretty much the stabilizing influence on the show and they will have a tough time replacing him. I guess he has some other podcast with Will to focus on now. Most people don't last half this long in "videogame journalism" so it's amazing they made it this long.

I'm still going to keep subbing and listening to Jeff while he tries to reinvent it yet again. The whole nostalgia about the way things used to be is fine but the whole industry changed and they need to do the same or just shut it down. Either way it was a great run. They pioneered a few things and built out an entire platform but never really got the success they deserved for it. Meanwhile my nephew watches some kid on YouTube play Minecraft and it nets 3-5M views in less than a week. Bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

That describes ~75% of anyone remotely successful, and I'm probably low-balling that due to my wokeness insisting that surely at least 20% of successful people aren't white.