Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I will say Taskmaster series 5 is one where I can recall one or two memorable moments for every contestant immediately. Usually there's one or two where I have to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I will say - again from the perspective of someone who’s only finished season 1 - that parts of it definitely reminded me of my biggest issue with Bodyguard, a show that had a good smaller story and then ruined it with this ridiculous over-the-top Machiavellian conspiracy thing. The drug-running gang in LoD season 1, who I assume are the same group from the rest of the show, definitely had these elements, seeming almost supernaturally smart and with weird lovely kid accomplices, but it was definitely way better at handling it than Bodyguard. These criticisms definitely make me wonder if it falls into the same traps later on.

The kid accomplice thing makes sense in series one because real life gangs will use kids for low level stuff for dropping off phones. Where it goes later with him being groomed since childhood to infiltrate the police is pretty stupid, though.

The biggest issue with the gang in LoD is the writers never commit to a definitive size of the operation. The cell in series five who have to do their own low-level menacing are only one degree of separation from the Big Bad who can summon the aforementioned infinite waves of rifle toting Balaclava Men, and an organisation who supposedly have untold numbers of senior police officers in their pay for some reason has to have the phone kid from series one do a job any bent PC could have done with much less chance of being immediately recognized.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don't watch Line of Duty personally, but I did watch This Time with Alan Partridge and that was also pretty disappointing so I'm feeling everyone's pain today.

(It was fiiiiiine, but the Sidekick Simon and Ruth gags were pretty much the exact same things from the first season. The closing gag was the best part.)

I agree that the Ruth gag is the same every time, pretty much. Would have rather seen her come in to the studio or something to change it up a bit. It's my only small complaint, though, and I still laughed at it, so can't complain too much. Will have to watch it again later in the week as I was half asleep, but the running gag of Alan's knees cracking is brilliant.

Hopefully the audience member from Sunderland makes a return.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

thehustler posted:

Aye, we walk in similar circles. It's a great name. Also yeah, she has resting "not-bothered" face. The whole time we hosted her I just assumed she was having a poo poo time.

She does good work for promotion of maths and STEM etc, maths in the pub nights, etc.

Well, pass on my congratulations on her victory, and her name for me.

Tbh I was satisfied with the last OC season when Emma Kennedy's lovely celeb team got hosed.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Tbh I was satisfied with the last OC season when Emma Kennedy's lovely celeb team got hosed.

I enjoyed how Mitch Benn absolutely carried that team, it made Kennedy and whoever the third was (they must have been so poo poo I don't even remember them) look just awful by comparison

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Julio Cruz posted:

I enjoyed how Mitch Benn absolutely carried that team, it made Kennedy and whoever the third was (they must have been so poo poo I don't even remember them) look just awful by comparison

Mitch Benn is a grumpy sod who forgot who I was a day after I interviewed him. I don't have many stories so it's good when I can tell them.

But yes, he did carry them, didn't he?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I will say Taskmaster series 5 is one where I can recall one or two memorable moments for every contestant immediately. Usually there's one or two where I have to think about it.

The final team task was a perfect finale.

I still get "Rosalind is a loving nightmare" stuck in my head.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Series 10 is the first series they did when it moved to Channel 4. It has a slightly bigger budget and it shows with several new task locations.

Series 1 is piss funny but feels a bit like a pilot series as the show was finding its feet. It's probably the best series until series 5 though. Series 5 is just incredible, mainly thanks to Bob Mortimer and Sally Phillips.

Series.

I have a feeling I'll like it a lot more when I like the contestants (unsurprisingly), and series 10 had a great line-up. I'll have to try and find 5 as Bob Mortimer is just so bizarre. He's my favourite on WILTY just because everything in his life is mental.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Every so often the following thought pops into my head:

You're not a bad guy, Nish

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Gromit posted:

I have a feeling I'll like it a lot more when I like the contestants (unsurprisingly), and series 10 had a great line-up. I'll have to try and find 5 as Bob Mortimer is just so bizarre. He's my favourite on WILTY just because everything in his life is mental.

He brings very much the same energy to Taskmaster, it's brilliant. Series 4 is great as well (especially if you like Noel Fielding.)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gromit posted:

There isn't a bad series. Just start at 1 and watch them all.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I couldn't get into series 10 and was genuinely worried the move to Channel 4 had killed it because I loved every previous series. Series 11 isn't quite up there with the best but it's a move in the right direction. Mike and Jamali are both excellent.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've seen a few TV people describe this commission slate as "Dave announces desperate attempt to replace Taskmaster".
https://twitter.com/davechannel/status/1389837363162107907

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

njsykora posted:

I've seen a few TV people describe this commission slate as "Dave announces desperate attempt to replace Taskmaster".
https://twitter.com/davechannel/status/1389837363162107907

I will literally watch anything if Richard Ayoade is in it, to be fair. He's #1 on my wishlist for Taskmaster, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably starting to get tough to put a show together where the majority of participants hasn't been on Taskmaster.

Richard and David Mitchell are up there on a lot of people's Taskmaster wishlists and I'm really on the fence about both of them, because they're each brilliant, but they're such language-based comedians that it's hard to imagine them being practical. Or rather, being impractical in the way that makes Taskmaster so fun. But David Mitchell was pretty fun on Comic Relief Bake Off, so...

My #1 would be Rachel Riley. I can picture her as both brazen enough to rival Rhod and actually really loving good at problem-solving.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Probably starting to get tough to put a show together where the majority of participants hasn't been on Taskmaster.

Richard and David Mitchell are up there on a lot of people's Taskmaster wishlists and I'm really on the fence about both of them, because they're each brilliant, but they're such language-based comedians that it's hard to imagine them being practical. Or rather, being impractical in the way that makes Taskmaster so fun. But David Mitchell was pretty fun on Comic Relief Bake Off, so...

My #1 would be Rachel Riley. I can picture her as both brazen enough to rival Rhod and actually really loving good at problem-solving.

Rachel Riley is a thatcher loving tory idiot.

https://imgur.com/a/QephXKe

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mitchell would be great. He excels when he's frustrated. I wouldn't be surprised if Lee being on might push him to agree to it.

Rachael Riley is vile and her involvement has already ruined Countdown and 8OOTCDC for me, I'd rather she didn't ruin Taskmaster too thanks.

e: Has the creator of a poorly received TV finale ever pivoted to 'actually people did like it' this hard and this quickly?

https://twitter.com/jed_mercurio/status/1389903188569034759?s=19

stev fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 5, 2021

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The weirdest TV related news from 2019 for me was a meeting about a plot to divide Labour party in two right before the election. The meeting was held in a mansion belonging to JK Rowling and Rachel Riley was there as well.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

not a bot posted:

The weirdest TV related news from 2019 for me was a meeting about a plot to divide Labour party in two right before the election. The meeting was held in a mansion belonging to JK Rowling and Rachel Riley was there as well.

Jeremy Corbyn had been holding meetings with that goal everyday for several decades.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Austen Tassletine posted:

Jeremy Corbyn had been holding meetings with that goal everyday for several decades.

He's completely responsible for the actions of all the crazy people who obsessively despise him, of course :hmmyes:

Annabel Pee posted:

Edit: 'Decades'. lol, ffs

Strawman fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 5, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Austen Tassletine posted:

Yeah but the Labour Party was poo poo then, like it is now, so destroying it was actually a good thing, as it is now.

Big no to Riley on Taskmaster. I’ve just caught up with current season and looking forward to starting s5. Love a bit of Bob Mortimer.

Has anyone got recs for documentaries? I like prison and crime stuff, political conspiracy type stuff - not too fussed on nature, if you’ve seen one antelope getting eaten you’ve seen em all.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
BBC still gets good documentaries and plays them under their Storyville ident. I can't really think of any they commission for TV.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Mr. Squishy posted:

BBC still gets good documentaries and plays them under their Storyville ident. I can't really think of any they commission for TV.

They did two good ones on Trump over the past year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08svdkn
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000s5zs (This one is produced by the great Norma Percy)

Another Norma Percy one, this time about the EU over a pretty eventful 10 year period.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0c1rjj7

They also did a good one on the Murdochs, if you can get beyond them trying really hard to make it look like Succession in places.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kxw0

The 7 parter about The Troubles was great, too.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m0008yrj/spotlight-on-the-troubles-a-secret-history

Jakabite posted:

Has anyone got recs for documentaries? I like prison and crime stuff, political conspiracy type stuff - not too fussed on nature, if you’ve seen one antelope getting eaten you’ve seen em all.

From memory, some non BBC ones I've watched over the last while:

The Lady and the Dale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_and_the_Dale

Good one about DB Cooper (this one is on iPlayer)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000pqyw/storyville-the-hijacker-who-vanished-the-mystery-of-db-cooper

Exterminate All the Brutes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exterminate_All_the_Brutes_(2021_film) Interesting look at colonialism, imperialism and white supremacy throughout history. Same director as I'm Not Your Negro and while it's not as good (or focused) as that, it's still good. Some cheesy reconstructions, but still well worth a watch. Think Sky have it.

Q Into the Storm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_Into_the_Storm HBO doc about Q Anon. Reviews were mixed, but I loved it. Don't think it's been shown in this part of the world, but it'll probably be Sky when it is.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 5, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Out of Thin Air is a pretty good true crime doc on probably the most famous case in the history of Iceland

there's also a doc on the Northern Bank robbery which I haven't seen yet but if it's from the same people who did the recent podcast it should definitely be worth watching

e: both of the above are on iPlayer

also if you have Disney+ I highly recommend checking out Free Solo, it's honestly incredible even if like me you don't know the first thing about climbing

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 5, 2021

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Annabel Pee posted:

drat, that's a shame.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I guess I don't see any reason not to have a few repeat participants in there. Judging by interviews from the TM podcast, it seems like most of the past participants loved their time on the show. I could absolutely see someone like Jessica Knappett showing up again and still being fresh.

In that vein, I'd love to see a anti-Champion of Champions event where Nish, Paul Chowdry, Charlotte Richey, and other dead last participants either compete for redemption or to gently caress up a task as badly as possible.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Anals of History posted:

In that vein, I'd love to see a anti-Champion of Champions event where Nish, Paul Chowdry, Charlotte Richey, and other dead last participants either compete for redemption or to gently caress up a task as badly as possible.

That is legitimately a fantastic idea. Half of my favourite contestants came last.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I didn't get on with Line of Duty when I first watched it because it was sold to me as a grittier and more realistic depiction of British police and I didn't buy it. So I've been spoiled on most of the show by now and I've gone back to watch it and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Its reminding me of Luther, in that if you don't think too hard then its a very fun ride.

I quite like Steve Arnott as well, because I really respect writers who create important characters that are just completely useless at their job. His accent is funny too, there was a time where I could hear a scene of his in the background and I thought Murray from Flight of the Conchords had just walked onto the scene.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
He’s in The Nest on iPlayer with his “normal” Scottish accent and it’s not bad.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Gorn Myson posted:

I didn't get on with Line of Duty when I first watched it because it was sold to me as a grittier and more realistic depiction of British police and I didn't buy it.

For a properly realistic depiction of British police, I still don't think anything ever topped The Cops. It might have meandered around at times after the first series, but it was top notch stuff. Shame it's BBC so it's locked in an archive - Channel 4 would surely have it streaming if it belonged to them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Was that the one where the police consultant pulled out of the production because they didn't like how their profession was being represented?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

If your not watching this year's Sewing Bee, one of the contestants works on a cruise ship and his entire aesthetic is nautical.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, the first series clearly had lots of co-operation in terms of squad cars and the like, then they had to source everything for themselves in the other two.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Jakabite posted:

Yeah but the Labour Party was poo poo then, like it is now, so destroying it was actually a good thing, as it is now.

Big no to Riley on Taskmaster. I’ve just caught up with current season and looking forward to starting s5. Love a bit of Bob Mortimer.

A great Storyville-branded non-BBC doc on iPlayer right now is 'Collective: Unravelling A Scandal', which was Oscar nominated, and is about how one horrific nightclub fire in Bucharest and the miserable healthcare response prompted a local sports gazette, of all media outlets, to start really digging into the extent of corruption in Romania, and once they start they uncover more and more. Like watching a Spotlight-type film unfold in real life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tpzn/storyville-collective-unravelling-a-scandal

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for these! I'll check a few out and report back

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

My Lovely Horse posted:

David Mitchell and Victoria Coren on the same taskmaster lineup is my dream. Someone please make it happen.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

That is legitimately a fantastic idea. Half of my favourite contestants came last.

Alex said in his Reddit AMA that he'd love to do that one day.

Is there a release date for Champion of Champions II yet?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I want Mark Heap on Taskmaster. I think his mix of gangly weirdness and surprising dexterity would be pretty solid.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Left-field choice, but extremely solid. I always like mainly-actors on the show, they're so easily overwhelmed. :v:

I think they definitely need Alan Davies in at some point. Adrian Edmondson might be good. And what's Phill Jupitus up to these days, anyway?

e: Bill Bailey keeps getting thrown around as an idea, and would work.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 6, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Was that the one where the police consultant pulled out of the production because they didn't like how their profession was being represented?

This happened for both - Cops the advisors pulled out after the first season, Line of Duty they refused co-operation from the start (so in weirdly true-to-show style they used anonymous serving and retired officers for information).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Left-field choice, but extremely solid. I always like mainly-actors on the show, they're so easily overwhelmed. :v:

I think they definitely need Alan Davies in at some point. Adrian Edmondson might be good. And what's Phill Jupitus up to these days, anyway?

e: Bill Bailey keeps getting thrown around as an idea, and would work.

Rumour mill suggests you might be pleased by the Season 12 cast Alan Davies

Would like to see Tony Law on some day as an agent of chaos.