Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Raluek posted:

yeah i thought i was going crazy because when i look at same-year amx and javelin, the amx just looks... wonky.

Yeah the AMX is a shortened, 2 seat version of the Javelin. It looks "wonky" because it lost a foot of length and wheelbase. With the 2nd gen (starting in 71) it was no longer a 2 seater and the wheelbase/length was the same as the Javelin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Q_res posted:

Yeah the AMX is a shortened, 2 seat version of the Javelin. It looks "wonky" because it lost a foot of length and wheelbase. With the 2nd gen (starting in 71) it was no longer a 2 seater and the wheelbase/length was the same as the Javelin.

yeah i know why it is the way it is, it's just odd to me that the amx is the desirable one for most people

they're cool cars, and amc is king of the weird, i just think they got it right the first time

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I always thought the AMX was better proportioned than the Javelin, but everyone's tastes are different and I fully accept that I am weird.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

StormDrain posted:

This was the first weekend in a while that I didn't start it up and that makes me a little sad. If you have the means and really hate yourself get one now. They're only getting harder to own. I think as prices go up there have been a few new things show up which is cool.

Pickup gas tanks used to be declining stock only, if yours was rusted you needed to find a parts truck or find a substitute from another vehicle. Of course the new replacements are $370....

Unfortunately, I’d only be picking one up to go bang it against trees and rocks like me and my dad, who’s SA user is trouser chili, did when I was little. So it doesn’t make sense for me to buy a 20k+ truck just for me to destroy it.

I remember my dad cleaning out his pickup fuel tank. He still has pictures from how gross it was.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

benro posted:

Unfortunately, I’d only be picking one up to go bang it against trees and rocks like me and my dad, who’s SA user is trouser chili, did when I was little. So it doesn’t make sense for me to buy a 20k+ truck just for me to destroy it.

I remember my dad cleaning out his pickup fuel tank. He still has pictures from how gross it was.

So yeah I didn't see the username. In a circle of life way your dad's rig was influential to me as well. It was a good looking truck. 2wd and the AMC engine tho so not my bag. Even if it had the IH motor I would have passed because of the year. Those last two years are even worse orphans than mine.

I do wish I had one of those sweet 1970s bug deflectors tho. Just for looks.

Also I don't want to give him too much credit. The other influences were seeing a very nice one in traffic, one that a classmate had in high-school, and the fact that if I searched Craig's for 1970s + 4wd + pickup and sort price low to high, IH was always the first hits. This one was $1,500. I have since had single receipts for parts cost more than that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Q_res posted:

Yeah, you're dad's probably not wrong on that one. I agree on the proportions on the AMX, but I think the Javelin is just fine. That's what makes the first-gen so interesting I think, it's the only time the AMX was a distinctly unique model. On the 2nd gen it became more like the relationship between the Trans Am and the Firebird.

Q_res posted:

You're right, it's the first-gen AMX that I'm thinking of in terms of proportions.

Raluek posted:

yeah i know why it is the way it is, it's just odd to me that the amx is the desirable one for most people

they're cool cars, and amc is king of the weird, i just think they got it right the first time

They definitely are weird.
One thing I've always loved about the AMCs, though, is how early they adopted flush aircraft-style door handles. I've always liked those.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Still a sucker for how my Chaste White FD looks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's a drat nice car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

You should be.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

Anyone who isn't, they're the sucker.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Went to a cruise in. Parked with my parents and watched some cool stuff cruise by. I like the wheels in black, but I seem to be in the minority.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

the spyder posted:

Goodness

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

the spyder posted:

i hate how long this took me to make, considering how bad it looks

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

the spyder posted:

Did you drip yesterday AM? Donut? :agesilaus:

Love the FD.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Both are 5 speed manual 4x4 diesels, but the 88 is so far behind the 91 it's goofy. BOTH have the correct tires. :hmmyes:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

thealphabetsez posted:

Did you drip yesterday AM? Donut? :agesilaus:

Love the FD.

No drip or donuts for me. But I’ll take the 65 Fastback and 2002. :smug:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KakerMix posted:

Both are 5 speed manual 4x4 diesels, but the 88 is so far behind the 91 it's goofy. BOTH have the correct tires. :hmmyes:

These are lovely!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I need to drive my car more this season. It's a little anemic at elevation, but still loads of fun as long as you keep it in the powerband.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer
A day out on The Dragon (129).
If you're ever in Western NC/Southern TN, it really is a must drive.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

A day out on The Dragon (129).
If you're ever in Western NC/Southern TN, it really is a must drive.

Trying to convince my gf to take a road trip

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I did a great trip down from PA when I had my MS3, took the Blue Ridge Parkway and also saw Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Highly recommended.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone heading to US129/Dragon hit it midweek to avoid traffic and getting stuck behind someone doing 15mph for the whole thing. There's a ton of nice roads in the area as well that are less well known and have less traffic. Also hit the Cherohala skyway and foothills parkway for less tight turns but better flow and views.

Nyc_tattoo and opengl128 thanks for purchasing photos and supporting the photographers that sit out there all day.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Do they tell you what corners the photographers will be at, because I'd pay for one if I could throw my hands up with a huge smile like those dudes in that miata track photo.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A rare outing in the rain in the EP3

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

davebo posted:

Do they tell you what corners the photographers will be at, because I'd pay for one if I could throw my hands up with a huge smile like those dudes in that miata track photo.

Most tracks I've been to you can shoot the poo poo with the photographer; it's a great way to pass the time in between sessions

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

davebo posted:

Each photographer has a few corners they rotate between, a few of the corners you can see them in advance. Otherwise most people that visit are going to be making a few passes in each direction so even if you're not familiar with the road you will kind of know if they're coming up.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Raluek posted:

i hate how long this took me to make, considering how bad it looks

That is awesome, thank you!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

opengl128 posted:

I did a great trip down from PA when I had my MS3, took the Blue Ridge Parkway and also saw Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Highly recommended.

I drove the entire BRP (except about 15 miles in the middle closed for snow) in a lifted sequoia. I barely saw a single other car, it was fantastic.
It really made me wish I was driving a car with some vague amount of handling capabilities, what amazing roads!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

chrisgt posted:

I drove the entire BRP (except about 15 miles in the middle closed for snow) in a lifted sequoia. I barely saw a single other car, it was fantastic.
It really made me wish I was driving a car with some vague amount of handling capabilities, what amazing roads!

Just reminds me of the old Top Gear episode where they bring a Ferrari 458, 911 GT3 RS and Mercedes SLS to the Blue Ridge Parkway then the speed limit is 35mph so they leave.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

chrisgt posted:

Yeah it was gorgeous. Though our first day looked like this:

That's okay though because it eventually turned into this:

And this:

Now making me wish I took more photos of the actual road.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

davebo posted:

Just reminds me of the old Top Gear episode where they bring a Ferrari 458, 911 GT3 RS and Mercedes SLS to the Blue Ridge Parkway then the speed limit is 35mph so they leave.
I guess they had to follow the speed limits on camera, the rest of us, though.... :)

opengl128 posted:

Yeah it was gorgeous. Though our first day looked like this:

That's okay though because it eventually turned into this:

And this:

Now making me wish I took more photos of the actual road.
Yea, I didn't take any pictures. I was just on a long no-stress roadtrip alone, so I kinda just poked along and took my time.
I got to the entry to the BRP at about 10pm, so I parked off the road and slept in my SUV until sunup. Long roadtrips alone are fun sometimes, I can just go do whatever I want.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Track day with the TT at PIR (west coast :v:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Proper color, looks great

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My Lexus has sprouted some weird growth

I don't seem to mind though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Man, that is a cool looking camper. Any pictures of the inside?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh I was just watching some YouTube videos from that trailer. I camped with a teardrop once and I loved it, if I had more ambition to camp I'd probably get one.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I'd already have one of those, or something like it, but my wife requires a real restroom facility. Seems so complicated being a woman.

Speaking of which, here we are, stopping at a very scenic toilet, on the way to Moab a few weeks ago.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Bought some ancient Blitz Type 01 rims (some of my favourites, and are 'period correct')

They uhh, sit out a touch far at the front

However makes me love this boat again - took this when having to get my patented anti-scrape-boards out (I'd also had a mid-section of the exhaust replaced... which sits incredibly low.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My Lexus has sprouted some weird growth

I don't seem to mind though.

Well I just configured a $25k trailer to tow behind the SUV that I don't yet have to do the camping I haven't done in years.

Thanks, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BlackMK4 posted:

Man, that is a cool looking camper. Any pictures of the inside?

I have not taken good photos of the inside, but it is really quite spacious and comfortable. It is a little over five feet high, most tear drops are around 4. I got some good photos and little video clips. I want to get out one more time with it and I will be posting a full review/walk through on YouTube. I will post the link in my thread when I get it done.

havelock posted:

Well I just configured a $25k trailer to tow behind the SUV that I don't yet have to do the camping I haven't done in years.

Thanks, I guess.

You are welcome! This is all really quick for me. I did a bit of camping in my youth with Boy Scouts and my local church youth group but my dad? Not really. We did a couple times when it was a tiny kid but that was it. I have been married for 12 years and we never camped. We would do simple hikes and outdoor stuff, but never camping. Two years ago I bought my first Lexus LX 470 and it was my first venture into off roading which was very addictive. Then I got a roof tent, and started camping and we loved it, and our kids loved it. There are a lot of good and bad about the roof tent set up and I had known about little micro campers like this but my wife didn't. Her best friend we are close with ordered a Happier Camper HC1 (another small teardrop fiberglass trailer) that she picked up this February. I told my wife about the Bean and showed her some photos/videos and she said "I wouldn't say no to that" which basically meant yes in husband language. So in the course of two years I have bought two 470's (after the first one got crashed), have been building out the second one, became a camping person, and spent almost thirty grand on a tiny little tear drop trailer that I hope to use two times a month through spring/fall.