Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I wasn't going to have a cigar today, but it's 70 out and I still have several Rose of Sharon. I'm glad I changed my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

I wasn't going to have a cigar today, but it's 70 out and I still have several Rose of Sharon. I'm glad I changed my mind.

Same except for the part where I wasn't going to have a cigar

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Test on the ashtray finally happened! I was thinking the cigar might sit a little low, but I like it the way it is. We'll see if it gets problematically full of ash!

E: it is plywood full Home Cheapo, and there are other issues that will get solved later on

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Regalia's still slap. That is all, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think the box is arriving tomorrow after completing its final leg. I'm stoked.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

My Father El Centurion was more of what I was expecting. Not a ton of complexity in the flavor but I was picking up on some cereal notes towards the end. If anything it's an excuse to sit outside for an hour and a half.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I doin that bro smoke thang. Cavalier Geneve Maduros that Stogiebird sent a few months ago. Real spicy and earthy at the beginning, much creamier and mellower in the middle. Not bad at all. Last ones we had smoked right through the gold, we'll see how these do.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I was wrong about Partagas.

I had a psd 5 last night (got as part of a sample pack) and I was really impressed with how good it was. Every psd4/2 I ever had was no more than “yeah this is a cigar alright” but the 5 was very enjoyable.

I’m looking forward to going through the other sticks I got because I haven’t had a good amount of them.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Good on ya for owning it, can't wait to hear the trip reports!

Got my second vaccine dose today today, having a La Aurora 115th Belicoso to celebrate. Really can't wait to get that Hors d'Ages Stravaganza next month!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have a turkey hunting/ trout fishing trip in 12 days so I’ll be smoking every day. Pretty stoked about not being able to taste food for a while.

E: congrats on your 5G upgrade

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
Hello Cigar thread!

I quit smoking cigarettes in January and took a little cigar hiatus to make that easier, but I am back on cigars and back in the thread.

My poker group has been playing online for the last year+, but now that we're all fully vaccinated we're having an in person game tonight so I'm looking forward to a few smokes, some bourbon, and hopefully winning some money. Gonna start with a Boilvar PC while my taste buds still work, then likely dive into some other stuff. I brought about a dozen sticks, so I'll have plenty of choices!

I'll probably skim the 15ish pages since I last checked in, but did I miss anything major?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There was a box pass and hopefully that'll be a regular thing!

Rose of Sharon is a blend that's getting a lot of love. I think the Bolivar PC might low key be the thread favorite cigar.

Turns out a bunch of us are in Chicago, so if you're there, wet might pull a get together this summer.

E: ashtray finally getting used as a pipe rest and it is :discourse:

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 1, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The box arrived yesterday! And I've gotta say, holy poo poo. I'm putting together a post to review how it played out. Super excited for the next round.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
What are the thoughts on Micallef Migdalia SE?

https://zealcigars.com/product/micallef-migdalia-special-edition/

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Never heard of them, would be interested to hear about them, though!

My Bolivar PCs are ready and the one I'm having right now is fabulous. I think they'll be even better with time. Just really thrilled about it.

E: this reminds me of the regular My Father Centurion, not the H-2K-CT, but the standards. It makes me want to pick some up to compare.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 2, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I think after this Mag 46 I’m currently smoking that it’s time for me to crown it the perfect in production Cuban cigar.

Amazing flavor, medium nic content and probably the best cigar vitola other than PC. It has EVERYTHING going for it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ophidian, you're extremely dangerous for my wallet. I love it.

Partagas Shorts are also smoking dreamily. I'm more deliberately dry boxing, and it's making a world of difference in my humidor that's been on the wetter side. I'll have to see if I can snag an LE noellas jar to dry box in or something.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m always down for a box split.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Ophidian posted:

I’m always down for a box split.

Count me in for some Mag 46's

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The guy in the US I get my sticks from had some ‘19 mag 46 so I bought a box. I think I’ve bought about 80% of my cigars from him over the last two months.

Pretty stoked.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I might could jump on a box split with y'all in the summer - there are a few sticks that are normally out of my price range for a full box that I'd love to have on hand, and the Mag 46 looks pretty tempting.

Gotta travel for work for the first time this month, so I'm making sure to keep my budget a little more open.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
New ihavanas deals came out. I have my eyes on the mag 50, the monte 3 and the short Churchill’s

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Giggle Goose posted:

It really is a shame they closed up shop. Years ago I took a look at the vast amount of tobacco out there and basically settled on Frog Morton stuff as my go to. I've got one full tin of the Cellar mixture and about half of a tin of On the Town left. Not even sure where to even start looking for something of similar quality, even if it isn't similar in taste profile.

Never had it before, but I have an order of Northwoods from Boswell's on the way and I've heard it mentioned as a new home for people seeking Frog Morton replacements.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm definitely checking out that northwoods!

Is there a thread opinion on Camacho? I believe they're a Davidoff brand. I don't generally spring for Davidoff at the price point and the branding is eh, but the price looks pretty good for Camacho.

Reason I ask is because I'm enjoying the Ashton LAdC and San Cristobal a lot more than I enjoy Ashton mainlines, but there's a strong chance that's just Garcia magic 😹

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Is there a thread opinion on Camacho? I believe they're a Davidoff brand. I don't generally spring for Davidoff at the price point and the branding is eh, but the price looks pretty good for Camacho.

Reason I ask is because I'm enjoying the Ashton LAdC and San Cristobal a lot more than I enjoy Ashton mainlines, but there's a strong chance that's just Garcia magic 😹

Every Camacho I have had has been extremely good. Their CT is one of my favorites, the Triple Maduro is great, and the Ecuador is a little flavor bomb.

Also I'm with you on Ashton, LADC absolutely rule, Ashtons I've had were very meh.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Excellent! The Ecuador looks real interesting to me, but it looks like the Connecticut is the must-try of the bunch.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

If you want what Camacho used to be, I would go for CLE or Eiroa cigars. Davidoff bought the name from Christian Eiroa under the agreement to also buy the tobacco from him. Davidoff decided to reblend the cigar lines to not use his tobacco, which turned into a court case and allowing Eiroa to start a new company much earlier.

Having had Camacho both using his tobacco and after the reblend, go for CLE or Eiroa cigars. Much better and cheaper.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I've found everything by Camacho to be sort of middle of the road. The CT is definitely my favorite of the bunch but if you haven't had them until now I wouldn't necessarily go chasing them.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check out some fivers - good on Eiroa for getting a payout and then keep doing what he wanted to do.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoked a punch coronation tubo tonight.
I was surprised at how powerful it was for such a relatively small cigar. It was really leathery and raisin…y. I’m going to seek more of these out for sure.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay, so the box pass arrived on Friday and it was amazing. I had a busy weekend and haven't had time to post, but now it's time to finally get down to brass tacks.

I had cut the box open, but then I realized I should do an unboxing, so I closed it back up and took a picture.

According to the cigar goons I am a #1 sweetheart, an honor I humbly accept.

Somebody added this cool leather 2-finger cigar carrier to the box, which is very cool. It definitely increases my temptation to take a cigar to work.

Okay, so now we're opening this bad boy up (click following photos for higher resolution). First, a photo of what me and my buddies put into the box to start with.

Not pictured in this photo is a second Leaf corojo lancero.

And here's what came out.

First, I'm glad the Leaf, the RoS, and the H-2K-CT moved. A little surprised nobody grabbed one of the Preferidos or the Opulencia corona, those are excellent smokes. Let's zoom in on the new stuff that arrived.

This is an unbelievable haul. The Perdomo 20th anniversary torpedoes are beautiful, and I'm very excited for that La Aurora 115. I'd love to hear more about that Stradivarius, I couldn't find much about it online.

As for some of the Cubans, those Partagas shorts are calling my name (I've been thinking about grabbing a box of those), and I'm very interested in how the Jose L. Piedra smokes, since NFM has been talking about them. The Bolivar PC and La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or no. 4 round out the list, and I'm particularly excited to smoke that MdO4 for how elegant it looks.

Now we get into the serious territory. I'm going to be real, some of these sticks are pretty overwhelming. I talked with my buddies and we're definitely going to re-donate a few of these sticks to the next box pass, since we want to spread the love a bit. First, the Davidoff Millenium robustos are an amazing opportunity to smoke a famous brand I've never had a chance to gently caress with. Next, the 2017 Bolivar belicoso and especially the Partagas Serie D robuto from 2012 are a chance to try classic habanos brands with some serious age on them. Finally, the Cohiba Talisman 2017 and the El Rey del Mundo Kon-Tiki. Amazing special-release habanos. Honestly much rarer stuff than I anticipated getting my hands on for quite a while. Wow.

So. I'm gonna declare this an extremely successful box pass. I had a great time with it, and everybody else seems to also have had a lot of fun. I'm planning to get another one on its way in late May, so please PM me if you wanna be in the mix on one of these going forward. I will also absolutely post when we smoke any of these real special sticks going forward. Thanks for being such a great crew of degenerate cigar goons.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Never had it before, but I have an order of Northwoods from Boswell's on the way and I've heard it mentioned as a new home for people seeking Frog Morton replacements.

Nice, you will have to let us know what you think. I've been smoking a lot of Kajun Kake from Cornelle and Diehl, Peterson Nightcap (never had it when it was branded under Dunhill or whatever it was) and Haunted Bookshop also from C&D. I also got a tin of Plum Pudding from Seattle Pipe Club and I haven't decided what I think of it yet. I might love it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Incredible box pass recap

Hell yeah! I couldn't believe my eyes and being last to send it back home was wild. I could hardly believe my eyes when I opened it up.

As far as the Stradivarius goes, that's a General Cigar limited release that came out a good while ago. Those wrappers are aged 15 years, IIRC and retailed for like $35. It's been knocking around in my humidor for a good couple of years, and I never felt particularly driven to smoke it and thought it might find a good new home!

I couldn't find a decent review of it anywhere, so hopefully someone here will contribute one if they take it 😉

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Any UK goons here?
I am wondering if there is a good and reasonable online retailer they can recommend in terms of price and assortment?
I have just bought a house with a garden, and looking forward to sitting outside during summer and having a quiet smoke.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Holy Smokes what a haul!

Thank you for putting this together, it was a lot of fun and a great way to try some new sticks

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My friends, I think the La Aroma de Cuba Rothschild might be the best everyday smoke out there. The price is stupid ($74/20 at Atlantic Cigar), the vitola is firmly a robusto at 5" x 50, and the flavor is exceptional. Salty, chocolatey, complex. It's a lot of cigar for not a lot of money, and it's in regular production. Truly a blessed smoke.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

My friends, I think the La Aroma de Cuba Rothschild might be the best everyday smoke out there. The price is stupid ($74/20 at Atlantic Cigar), the vitola is firmly a robusto at 5" x 50, and the flavor is exceptional. Salty, chocolatey, complex. It's a lot of cigar for not a lot of money, and it's in regular production. Truly a blessed smoke.

Haven't tried that vitola, but I absolutely adore La Aroma de Cuba. The Mi Amor in belicoso is one of my all time favorites.

I checked Atlantic but the price was higher... Might just have to drive down there at some point.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you make an Atlantic account, the displayed prices are lower 😉

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

If you make an Atlantic account, the displayed prices are lower 😉

shiiiiit thanks for the tip. I've done the vast majority of my buying from Bid and cigarpage, followed by foxcigar and famous smoke. I'll have to give atlantic a shot. Edit: Still showing as 90.95 after logging in. hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:iiam: