Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

FCKGW posted:

Update: Mask unlock also works if you’re drinking a can of soda

It has happened a few times when I was not wearing a mask (unlocked the phone without a mask on but it popped up on my telling me that my iPhone was unlocked). I am guessing that, due to mask varieties, it is very loose on what it recognizes as a mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It has happened a few times when I was not wearing a mask (unlocked the phone without a mask on but it popped up on my telling me that my iPhone was unlocked). I am guessing that, due to mask varieties, it is very loose on what it recognizes as a mask.
In my experience with it, it seems like the logic is more or less… are there eyes and is the bottom of the face obscured? Unlock!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

fourwood posted:

In my experience with it, it seems like the logic is more or less… are there eyes and is the bottom of the face obscured? Unlock!

Given my least favorite time to face unlock is when I’m in bed, tired, and have my face buried in a pillow… I can work with this.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've used a lot of beats headphones and I gotta say fellas, don't sleep on the beats flex. You can get them for $40, used to be just about triple that for the beats x

I love mine. They’re not like, the absolute best on the market by any means but they have the easy pairing and the price isn’t super steep. Would buy again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

im on the net me boys posted:

they have the easy pairing

is that ever a problem?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Rinkles posted:

is that ever a problem?

When I want to switch easily between my phone, laptop, and watch, yes! Having to deal with pairing on my last pair of wireless headphones was a gigantic pain. I will never buy wireless earbuds or headphones that don’t do the easy Apple pairing ever again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

love to pay a huge price premium on products just to avoid holding down the pair button and opening bluetooth settings on my iphone the first time i take them out of the packaging.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

love to pay a huge price premium on products just to avoid holding down the pair button and opening bluetooth settings on my iphone the first time i take them out of the packaging.

…..the last 5 posts on this topic were posters saying they liked buying the beats flex for $50, which is not a huge price premium.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How’s the audio on those Beats Flex vs AirPods Pro?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Laserface posted:

Well, you are in the Apple thread . . .

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Laserface posted:

I bought a refurbished pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds to replace my essentially-dead AirPods and was surprised to see how compatible they are with iPhone. They're essentially the same thing as the first gen AirPods, except in-ear like the AirPods Pro, and the contact points for touch controls sucks. The battery life is impossibly huge. I'll continue to buy cheap as long as we can continue to count on the batteries in stuff like this to only last 2 or 3 years at most.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Laserface posted:

It's not just that, it's easy, near instant switching for most Apple devices. Phone, tablet, computer, even Apple TV.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I have the last gen of the Sony noise canceling headphones and my biggest complaint is that I have to re-pair them every time I want to use them with my TV instead of my laptop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

…..the last 5 posts on this topic were posters saying they liked buying the beats flex for $50, which is not a huge price premium.

You're responding to the guy who buys $5 headphones from AliExpress and says they're the best things available on the market.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

You're responding to the guy who buys $5 headphones from AliExpress and says they're the best things available on the market.

Lol oh, good point.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Laserface posted:

$50 isn’t a huge premium when it saves me so much time that I was spending re-pairing earbuds between devices

Weedle
May 31, 2006

$40 new on amazon doesn't seem like much of a premium when the cheapest bluetooth earbuds that aren't absolute dogshit are like $30

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/05/03/folding-iphone-with-8-inch-screen-coming-in-2023-top-apple-analyst-predicts.html

I’m still not sold on foldable screen technology, but I’ll withhold judgement till we see what Apple does with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the only upside to an Apple foldable is that they won't sell it to us until it's actually a usable product, unlike all the PR disasters that have come to market so far.

Even then, I have no doubts it's going to be a big deal but I sure as poo poo won't be buying the first gen.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

apple actually has a tablet software ecosystem so if it really is just an iphone that turns into an ipad mini when you unfold it, it could be dope. hopefully they can figure out how to make the screen not fragile and lovely

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Weedle posted:

hopefully they can figure out how to make the screen not fragile and lovely

Is that the case for foldables so far?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rinkles posted:

Only if you peel off the screen protector.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rinkles posted:

yeah pretty much. they either have all-plastic displays that feel weirdly soft or "flexible glass" with a layer of plastic on top of it. you're never touching glass and the plastic scratches super easily

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They also only last a certain number of folds. You’ll likely be buying a new one in two years if it makes it that long.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, if we get a folding phone before we get TouchID back I am going to bang my head against a wall for a bit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 14.5.1 has dropped :siren:

Apple posted:

This update fixes an issue with App Tracking Transparency where some users who previously disabled Allow Apps to Request to Track in Settings may not receive prompts from apps after re-enabling it. This update also provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There was a macOS update today that had some webkit security fixes. There's probably also something similar in the iOS update too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

enojy posted:

I bought a refurbished pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds to replace my essentially-dead AirPods and was surprised to see how compatible they are with iPhone. They're essentially the same thing as the first gen AirPods, except in-ear like the AirPods Pro, and the contact points for touch controls sucks. The battery life is impossibly huge. I'll continue to buy cheap as long as we can continue to count on the batteries in stuff like this to only last 2 or 3 years at most.
Just saw a video on a DIY project with a dead pair of those, wonder how hard it'd be with old AirPods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNHDbXAmY_0

Battery is partially why I got the Powerbeats pair a while ago (on sale), and AppleCare which is like $30 on the headphones? Bigger battery to begin with and AC will cover battery issues down the line. Course I barely use them lately so not sure if I'll even get to that point in the warranty period...

(But anyway yeah Beats Flex seem like a great deal)

Jose Oquendo posted:

There was a macOS update today that had some webkit security fixes. There's probably also something similar in the iOS update too.
I think there's a note about the flaw possibly being actively exploited in the wild so it's one of those urgent ones.

Edit: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/apple-reports-2-ios-0days-that-let-hackers-compromise-fully-patched-devices/

japtor fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 3, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yep, was just going to come post that. Punch that software update button and get 14.5.1 to patch some possibly-actively-exploited 0-days in Webkit.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, is that the shortest they've ever gone between iOS updates? Probably not, but could be close.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey I don’t suppose y’all could help me out with a weird tech thing could you?

I picked up a Roku Ultra just to mirror my phone display to the TV. Literally the only reason. Unfortunately, my phone refuses to actually see the Roku when trying to screen mirror. It’s available for casting in Youtube and whatnot, but mirroring is absolutely no go and I don’t know why. I’m aware that an Apple TV would probably turn this into a seamless experience, but I didn’t want one. I’ve been using Roku for like ten years and have no interest in switching. Obviously if I absolutely have to I will. But this makes no sense. I want to blame my router since it’s a lovely combo gateway, but I’ve tried all the obvious stuff and am not sure how to troubleshoot this from here. Roku support was less than useless.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

What version OS is the ultra running? Needs to be 9.4 or higher if it’s not been updated

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
E: Holy poo poo I tried this before updating to 14.5, just tried again and it works. N/m and thanks.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 4, 2021

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

How do I turn off this announce texts thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dugong posted:

How do I turn off this announce texts thing?

Settings > Siri & Search > Announce Messages

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Endless Mike posted:

Settings > Siri & Search > Announce Messages

Thank you! I can see how the feature would be useful whilst driving but whilst walking around it was just annoying me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dugong posted:

Thank you! I can see how the feature would be useful whilst driving but whilst walking around it was just annoying me.

Fwiw it’s super handy in the gym.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw it’s super handy in the gym.

So not applicable to goons then.

Anyone got a recommendation for a magsafe and watch dock? The 3d printed ones look too light to pull the phone off without holding the stand. I see there is a belkin but I dont need a airpods charger.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I looked and googled, so assume it’s a no, but is there anyway to limit the announce text messages to contacts only? Or better yet, blacklist certain ones? I receive many text messages a day notifying me about electric outages (I work for the utility) and would love to not have SIRI recite those to me, but REALLY enjoy the feature for REAL messages.

Edge case with no solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

I looked and googled, so assume it’s a no, but is there anyway to limit the announce text messages to contacts only? Or better yet, blacklist certain ones? I receive many text messages a day notifying me about electric outages (I work for the utility) and would love to not have SIRI recite those to me, but REALLY enjoy the feature for REAL messages.

Edge case with no solution?

If you want to limit to just your Contacts, then select All Contacts for Siri Announce. Unknown senders are ignored.

If you want to filter more, the best I can find is putting the people you want to be able to alert you into the "Favorites" group.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/13/announce-messages-with-siri/

quote:

The All Contacts option means Siri reads out messages from everyone who is listed in your address book. This means texts from unknown senders are not read out — so this may be a way of avoiding spam messages from being read out to you.

The last option is Favorites. This is like All Contacts but filtered further to only the contacts you have favorited in the Phone app. You can edit your Favorites list at any time by going to the Favorites tab in the Phone app, and pressing the Add or Edit buttons in the toolbar.