Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I bought a copy of the N:A World Guide Vol 2 and I might have to go get Vol 1 now. I have a Japanese copy of Vol 1 but the quality of the Dark Horse tome is so much nicer than the Japanese one I have - for starters, the English one is hardcover. I was not expecting this book to be so detailed though, like holy poo poo this thing has the Weapon Stories for all five games wherever applicable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

30% was the highest I saw and the only thing that really gave me trouble in the junk heap was memory alloy.

That said my save had ~12 hours of materials grinding tacked onto the end of it so by no means is it a fast process for any of the rare drops, really.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ChaosArgate posted:

I bought a copy of the N:A World Guide Vol 2 and I might have to go get Vol 1 now. I have a Japanese copy of Vol 1 but the quality of the Dark Horse tome is so much nicer than the Japanese one I have - for starters, the English one is hardcover. I was not expecting this book to be so detailed though, like holy poo poo this thing has the Weapon Stories for all five games wherever applicable!
I have both and can confirm that the first volume is very nice, but at the same time, it's mostly just art/3D renders. Very pretty art, mind you, and it's definitely worthwhile, but the second volume is a lot more in-depth because it's a combination artbook and strategy guide.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I don't know what drop rates y'all have unlocked but going through the junk Heap again with 20% drop rate unlocked still feels like comical levels of "lmao go gently caress yourself wrt rare drops."
If I remember correctly, the original had a weird mechanic where drop rate up words made common items drop more frequently. I have no idea if that's accurate or if it even applies to this version, but the uncertainty still haunts me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blaziken386 posted:

I have both and can confirm that the first volume is very nice, but at the same time, it's mostly just art/3D renders. Very pretty art, mind you, and it's definitely worthwhile, but the second volume is a lot more in-depth because it's a combination artbook and strategy guide.

If I remember correctly, the original had a weird mechanic where drop rate up words made common items drop more frequently. I have no idea if that's accurate or if it even applies to this version, but the uncertainty still haunts me.

I'm currently running it with a total of +75% in droprate words (no idea how/if that stacks) and every enemy drops at least a common drop. There haven't been many rares but I got both the machine oils I needed.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

stev posted:

I'm currently running it with a total of +75% in droprate words (no idea how/if that stacks) and every enemy drops at least a common drop. There haven't been many rares but I got both the machine oils I needed.

It doesn’t stack, it only applies the bonus for whatever kills the enemy.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Blaziken386 posted:

Is Vol 2 much better? I got Vol 1 and was extremely disappointed that there was hardly any lore and was just mostly in-game screenshots.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I gotta say seems worth it to go through (ending A/B spoilers) Shadowlords tower on each and every ending if nothing else for Weiss's little hopping animation. It loving slays me every time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Hikaki posted:

Is Vol 2 much better? I got Vol 1 and was extremely disappointed that there was hardly any lore and was just mostly in-game screenshots.
Vol 2 has an a summary of each route of the game from the perspectives of the characters, a collection of all the weapon stories, various lore bits (including a timeline between the games), a strategy guide showing where to find every item in the game, and IIRC two short stories

Also various concept art, including concept art for Gestalt/Replicant.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I gotta say seems worth it to go through (ending A/B spoilers) Shadowlords tower on each and every ending if nothing else for Weiss's little hopping animation. It loving slays me every time.
IMO my favorite bit of animation is Weiss talking to Nier after rejecting Noir's attempt at merging in Part 1. (I dont have a clip from Replicant, but it's this moment from the original) He's so over the top all the time. :allears:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Blaziken386 posted:

IMO my favorite bit of animation is Weiss talking to Nier after rejecting Noir's attempt at merging in Part 1. (I dont have a clip from Replicant, but it's this moment from the original) He's so over the top all the time. :allears:

That group of scenes also has one of my favorite Weiss lines Huh.....Bitch?

I love the rerecorded script, Liam overacted it even harder.

Edit: goddamn papa Nier was ugly

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I wasn't emotionally ready for this game to be over even after I got all the endings so I've been trawling youtube for content and god drat the Ps3 faces weren't good. Every single adult female face looks identical. Although there is something a little charming to me about part 1's theres-something-about-mary boy nier hair, they prob made the right call toning it down :laugh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hikaki posted:

Volume 2 has so much lore. I was not prepared for how much it has. The timeline that Blaziken mentioned a bit ago is very detailed, for example, starting from Ending E of Drakengard and going past the end of Automata.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

As it turns out, Amazon's doing a B1G1 50% off deal on artbooks and Volume 1's part of that so I guess I'm getting it after all!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just finished Part 1. Taking it lazy, slowling working on my garden and fishing while advancing the plot from time to time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Nier Ending A spoilers

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ending E was executed much better than I though it'd be, it made me somewhat teary eyed. Now I have the emptiness you feel after beating a great game. Maybe Automata is due for a replay.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just finished Ending D; RIP Tibor, we hardly knew ye (and Emil couldn't pronounce your name).

I've enjoyed the sort of meta emotional arc that's developed as I've played through these endings. On your first run through the game, you feel heroic, triumphant, desperate, as you cut down the enemy and storm the castle to get your sister back. Then suddenly you learn exactly what it is you've been doing, which, combined with the extra scenes and dialogue in B, makes you feel horrified and monstrous as you watch the full consequences of your actions unfold. But by the time you reach ending D, the process is getting tedious as you fight the same fights and commit the same war crimes over and over. So even though you know full well what you're doing, you're like "yeah yeah and then I kill a room full of literal babies, I KNOW, let's get on with it i have a goal I'm working toward here." It's an interesting statement about the banality of evil or something i guess

I'll pick up ending E tomorrow, looking forward to seeing the new stuff. Although I suppose technically C & D were new to me too, I never bothered to get all the weapons when I played originally, but this time around I even did all the sidequests.

One thing I forgot about this game is exactly how often they use the Emil theme. I've had it in my head even while I'm not playing and it's making me legit depressed lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've gotten all the endings at last, but I have so many questions, even having gotten all of Automata's endings as well

why did Replicants gain sentience?

if Shades are what's left of pre-Replicant humans, where do new ones keep sprouting from? can Shades procreate? why are they wandering the countryside attacking people? I can't feel guilty for having run around the game three fuckin times killing them when they're just attacking people

what makes Original Nier and Yonah so special? why is this Nier from the past the most important guy on the planet? were they just waiting for their Replicants to be born more than a millennium later so they could get in their bodies?

what's up with Tyrann, the only named Shade who isn't OG Nier and Yonah? he just decided to crawl in a body that wasn't his match?

I feel like Devola and Popola's plan WASN'T to get scrubbed out by your group, so what were they hoping to accomplish?

I know that's a lot, and maybe the point is for it to be open-ended

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I've gotten all the endings at last, but I have so many questions, even having gotten all of Automata's endings as well

why did Replicants gain sentience?

if Shades are what's left of pre-Replicant humans, where do new ones keep sprouting from? can Shades procreate? why are they wandering the countryside attacking people? I can't feel guilty for having run around the game three fuckin times killing them when they're just attacking people

what makes Original Nier and Yonah so special? why is this Nier from the past the most important guy on the planet? were they just waiting for their Replicants to be born more than a millennium later so they could get in their bodies?

what's up with Tyrann, the only named Shade who isn't OG Nier and Yonah? he just decided to crawl in a body that wasn't his match?

I feel like Devola and Popola's plan WASN'T to get scrubbed out by your group, so what were they hoping to accomplish?

I know that's a lot, and maybe the point is for it to be open-ended

Replicants becoming aware was completely out of left field for Project Gestalt.

Most of the attacking Shades you find in the world have 'relapsed', which means they've gone crazy. Their numbers are probably just from a ton of humans getting converted. Even if just a million humans became Shades that still makes Nier's rampage a drop in the bucket.

OG Nier is a 'perfect' Gestalt, and is able to produce a substance called maso that stops lesser Shades from relapsing. The scientists on Gestalt promised to cure Yonah (when she was totally screwed no matter what) in exchange for Nier constantly donating maso for all the other Shades. Him coming out and kidnapping Repli Yonah was him finally getting fed up with the delays and deciding to just brute force the issue no matter the cost.

Tyrann was a high up soldier back when Project Gestalt was getting up and running, and hosed up so badly that his Replicant data got deleted as punishment after he turned into a Shade. He has to hijack bodies to keep going.

Devola and Popola's original plan was to have Weiss and Noir fuse and set off a failsafe that would forcibly fuse all Replicants with their Gestalts. OG Nier directly attacking the village and Weiss refusing to fuse completely scuttled that so they were just trying to make up a backup plan as they went along and failed horribly.

A lot of this is info found in Grimoire Nier.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just did the forest of myth... I enjoyed that area, possibly precisely because it was like "how can we build a questline that's just a handful of models in a field"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just to be clear on what I need to do to get Ending E (no overly-specific spoilers please); I looked up a no-spoiler guide and it sounds like all I need to do is start a new save file, and somewhere along the way in part 1 I'll be given the opportunity to make a choice; is this moment going to be extremely obvious, or do I need to do anything special or potentially missable to make it happen? I'm trying not to look into it too closely so I go in fresh, but I also want to make sure that I don't accidentally whizz right past it and do a full, normal playthrough of part 1 again by mistake

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just to be clear on what I need to do to get Ending E (no overly-specific spoilers please); I looked up a no-spoiler guide and it sounds like all I need to do is start a new save file, and somewhere along the way in part 1 I'll be given the opportunity to make a choice; is this moment going to be extremely obvious, or do I need to do anything special or potentially missable to make it happen? I'm trying not to look into it too closely so I go in fresh, but I also want to make sure that I don't accidentally whizz right past it and do a full, normal playthrough of part 1 again by mistake

it's very obvious when that moment is there

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You literally can’t miss it if you’ve done the other endings

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's also no difference to a normal run before the very obvious thing, so feel free to skip cutscenes/mash through dialogue as much as you like.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

The game won't let you skip the first time something new happens. You'll get a message even saying you can't skip this, which I don't even think happens anywhere else in the game so mash, mash away

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

As it turns out, Amazon's doing a B1G1 50% off deal on artbooks and Volume 1's part of that so I guess I'm getting it after all!

Man where did you see that? I just did a quick skim and didn't see that listed anywhere. I don't need to be spending money, but that deal might get me to shell out for Vol 2.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't know if this was intentional (I'm guessing there's no way it could have been but was a happy coincidence) but something I think that works extremely well merging the gameplay with its storytelling is the progression of the way grinding out endings A, B, C and D feel.

Your first march through Shadowlord castle is a semi-challenging one as everything is new to you as the player, your level is probably in the 20s, you prob don't have any good level 4 weapons yet and you're fighting these overwhelming forces to punish evil and save the day. But then you learn the truth at all and your power begins to grow out of control exponentially with weapon upgrades, levels and Words and your feeling of being a monster feels complete as you effortlessly cut down boss after boss running through Part 2 and Shadowlord's castle again and again. Really does make you feel worse for the Shades when they are completely unable to defend themselves at all towards the end of the grind.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is there any reason given on why the Replicants were just let free to wander around and create their own society? The androids were able to recreate the ones that died so I never understood why they didn’t go ahead and kill all the ones left after they beat the Legion and then recreate them once the world was safe for humans again. What purpose was them being left to their own devices for a thousand years supposed to serve?

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 5, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

There's also no difference to a normal run before the very obvious thing, so feel free to skip cutscenes/mash through dialogue as much as you like.

Excellent, thank you all

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Ethiser posted:

Is there any reason given on why the Replicants were just let free to wander around and create their own society? The androids were able to recreate the ones that died so I never understood why they didn’t go ahead and kill all the ones left after they beat the Legion and then recreate them once the world was safe for humans again. What purpose was them being left to their own devices for a thousand years supposed to serve?

My sense of it is that whatever process creates new Replicants from old can't use dead ones, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a big deal that Tyrann's Replicant was killed. Also, the sentience that Replicants evolved might carry over when Popola/Devola clone/recreate them, so once a given Replicant develops sentience you just sort of have to put it in a pen and hope it doesn't get up to anything too disruptive.

I haven't read Grimoire Nier yet though, just the summary of D3-D1-Nier that someone posted earlier.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got my White Flowers. I should definitely not harvest until I have a ton of seeds right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

CaptainRat posted:

My sense of it is that whatever process creates new Replicants from old can't use dead ones, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a big deal that Tyrann's Replicant was killed. Also, the sentience that Replicants evolved might carry over when Popola/Devola clone/recreate them, so once a given Replicant develops sentience you just sort of have to put it in a pen and hope it doesn't get up to anything too disruptive.

I haven't read Grimoire Nier yet though, just the summary of D3-D1-Nier that someone posted earlier.

Alternately, they have to keep making new Replicants because the Gestalt needs the Replicant to exist to work properly. (Tyrann had his Replicant trashed because they don't give a poo poo if he works properly or not.) This makes more sense given that this has apparently been going on for a thousand years and they probably didn't need the Replicants for all of that time unless they just generally have to exist.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rand Brittain posted:

Alternately, they have to keep making new Replicants because the Gestalt needs the Replicant to exist to work properly. (Tyrann had his Replicant trashed because they don't give a poo poo if he works properly or not.) This makes more sense given that this has apparently been going on for a thousand years and they probably didn't need the Replicants for all of that time unless they just generally have to exist.

Yeah, if you read the documents that the twins beam into Weiss' head before their boss fight it says that Shades started relapsing around the same time Replicants started becoming self-aware, so there's certainly some link between the two.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

Man where did you see that? I just did a quick skim and didn't see that listed anywhere. I don't need to be spending money, but that deal might get me to shell out for Vol 2.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1389747093565149189

It was available last night. I just checked and Vol 1 isn't available via this deal anymore and Vol 2 seemingly was never part of it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1389747093565149189

It was available last night. I just checked and Vol 1 isn't available via this deal anymore and Vol 2 seemingly was never part of it.
Even if it's not part of the "official" promotion, Vol 2 is currently $25 instead of $40, and that's a pretty good deal IMO. Volume 1 is back up to $35, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do weapons get anything interesting at their third (and final if it's the same as Automata) upgrade?

Currently it seems like literally the only difference is in base damage and magic damage, with an extremely minor difference in combo speed (that is only really noticeable if I'm comparing a "Light" weapon with a "Very Heavy" one), but it seems like weapons with higher base damage usually also have higher magic damage and are just objectively superior to their alternatives. In Automata there were generally more options, with upgrades buffing different things.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got my White Flowers. I should definitely not harvest until I have a ton of seeds right?

Probably not, especially if you're not on PC. I keep a constant stream of flowers by maintaining ~16 seeds (I'll harvest 7 and let the other 8 turn into seeds after filling the whole plot, occasionally getting more flowers once I end up with a bigger seed surplus, like if I forget to harvest the flowers and they all turn into seeds).

The upside to this is that I was instantly able to buy every weapon in the shops when starting Part 2, but I'm not sure if I'll actually have much use for money beyond that (since most upgrade mats don't seem buyable and it seems like a bunch of quests are starting to demand Junk Yard stuff).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 5, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ytlaya posted:

Do weapons get anything interesting at their third (and final if it's the same as Automata) upgrade?

Currently it seems like literally the only difference is in base damage and magic damage, with an extremely minor difference in combo speed (that is only really noticeable if I'm comparing a "Light" weapon with a "Very Heavy" one), but it seems like weapons with higher base damage usually also have higher magic damage and are just objectively superior to their alternatives. In Automata there were generally more options, with upgrades buffing different things.

Nah, weapons only get number upgrades in OG Nier.

Unless you're brokebrain enough to go after the all weapon upgrades achievement, pick one of each type and call it a day.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

you get a warm feeling of satisfaction from Number Go Up

also they (sometimes) look prettier

...but if you don't want the achievement, no, there's no reason to go out of your way to upgrade anything but one of each type

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Someone please tell me Route B is not entirely text on a black screen

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Don't worry there's gameplay to the B side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sometimes there's black text on a white screen