Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Memento posted:

Yeah but what are you driving that has enough power that flooring it at highway speeds is going to have enough effect on your speed when you're already towing a trailer?

Tesla model X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Then you are already dead.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

OzyMandrill posted:

If you have a heavy trailer, it should have a squidgy rubber thing on the tow bar that covers the brake mechanism. When the car brakes, the trailer pushes against it, squeezing the mechanism (and shortening the spring - hence the rubber thingy), which then smoothly engages the brakes on the trailer.

Are you Australian? Those style brakes are not popular in the US because they are janky as hell. Give me electric brakes that I can adjust any day. Then when if it wiggles it won't because I load correctly I can give the truck some gas and the trailer a little brake and straighten it right out.

The schad is on us because aarp lobbies to keeps travel trailers and rvs out of a special class requiring a higher level license. Stay away from travel trailers if you value your life.

Memento posted:

Yeah but what are you driving that has enough power that flooring it at highway speeds is going to have enough effect on your speed when you're already towing a trailer?

A drat turbo diesel like God intended.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 5, 2021

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I went to Yellowstone a few years ago, and the most hazardous thing isn't the wildlife, or the geothermal features, but the idiots driving rented RV's or pulling giant travel trailers.

There's several smaller roads in the park that are clearly labeled as "NO RV" due to some combination of low overhead clearance, tight curves, and narrow roads, and without fail, there'd be at least one RV either trying to reverse down a one-way road, or driving in the wrong lane on a blind corner because the idiots inside couldn't read the signs. Probably the "best" one was some idiot boomers who had a 50ft RV parked completely across the road on a blind corner, since they'd pulled it into a space obviously intended for shorter vehicles and just left it there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/QPv8m7L.mp4

Hang around to the end on this one. Has sound, but it's really just some laughing.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Evilreaver posted:

Speed up and go for an integer overflow, once you get to 255 MPH it rolls back to 0 MPH and you stop

I could only get that interger overflow if I had Terra driving the truck and I used Morph.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

EatMySpork posted:

It's pretty much impossible to legally modify your engine in any meaningful way in CA. All parts have to be CARB approved and most aftermarket manufacturers don't bother.

Most of it is all BS anyways, as long as your emissions meet the standards it shouldn't matter... its all a money grab.

This is partially true. First off anything 74' or older is fair game. I have a little 74' BMW rat rod that I put a fuel injected BMW Z3 engine in and I could toss a turbo or supercharger on there if I were so inclined. My neighbor has an old Austin Mini with a Honda Type R motor. Engine swaps are a great way to up power in older cars even 75' and above as long as the motor is newer than the chassis and it passes smog. So an old Miata with a newer Corvette LS4 crate motor is fine as long as it has it's catalytic converters and oxygen sensors etc.. I worked on a Corvette pushing 1000hp that passed smog. Although in that case there's always the possibility that the owner bribed the inspector.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Either a vape or bad cell phone battery

Cheap chinese lion + insufficient protective casing (to make it smaller) = exploding vape. Designing a functioning cellphone is a much larger endeavour with a higher chance of an actual engineer being involved, so they brew up less often.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/K6J3LM6.mp4

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Are you Australian? Those style brakes are not popular in the US because they are janky as hell. Give me electric brakes that I can adjust any day. Then when if it wiggles it won't because I load correctly I can give the truck some gas and the trailer a little brake and straighten it right out.

The schad is on us because aarp lobbies to keeps travel trailers and rvs out of a special class requiring a higher level license. Stay away from travel trailers if you value your life.

A drat turbo diesel like God intended.

I did a little mini-vacation to the mountains near Ashville in fall. Just an isolated place with no one around. On the way there, there were so many idiots driving an RV for the first time. When I got nearer to the mountains the roads got steeper...that was loving terrifying.

piratescurvy
Jun 28, 2008

Neco posted:

Uh do you mean like in the fishhook theory or what?

'Mericans, like most things we do, misuse the word. Left vs. right is still fairly accurate in our political system, though besides outliers like Sanders, we basically have no left wing. We basically have right and center. Americans love to own the 'libs, but liberals are rather conservative/right wing in other countries. We're also the same country that paints "Anti-Fascism" as a somehow bad terroristic threat. So, yeah. My opinions are pretty hard left, and I'd never describe myself as liberal. Then again, I'd never describe myself as much more than a goon who usually lurks.

piratescurvy
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you, I had a really long day and longer week. That helped.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

piratescurvy posted:

We're also the same country that paints "Anti-Fascism" as a somehow bad terroristic threat.
Most countries with an explicitly anti-fascist movement do this.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qs8qnmBlLH1s1ddrj.mp4

piratescurvy
Jun 28, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Most countries with an explicitly anti-fascist movement do this.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qs8qnmBlLH1s1ddrj.mp4

Agreed, but not good. These videos make me really want a vr system, just to watch my spouse loose a tooth.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DarkDobe posted:

Are the auto-retracting syringes just not as ubiquitous as I thought? I cant think of a procedure in the last year or two that didnt use one of those - they seem super convenient.

I started Skyrizi recently, and that's the first time I've seen auto-retracting syringes.

For schadenfreude contact, it turns out what I have isn't psoriasis after all, so the Skyrizi doesn't do jack.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/1bvXNlA.mp4

This is pretty cool that they got them apart without anyone getting hurt and now the caribou won't starve to death, but their wobbles as they realise they're free are great.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/hikers-in-a-lather-laundry-detergent-spread-on-b-c-rooftops-suds-up-local-creek

quote:

Soon, some of the powder blew off the roofs and settled on the grounds of the Abbotsford, B.C. development, on residents’ shrubbery and on flowers. That powder was laundry detergent, being used as an ersatz herbicide to prevent the growth of moss. When it rained, as it does around Abbotsford, which gets precipitation an average 174 days a year, more frequently than any other city in Canada, the soap did what soap is meant to do.

Whoops ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've always wondered what it feels like to be That Person whose actions affect an entire neighborhood, town, or greater. I don't want to find out for myself, but I want to really appreciate what they're going through while I laugh at them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Laundry detergent kills moss because it’s a fertilizer, basically.

Moss thrives in poor to nonexistent soils.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So there's a non zero chance all those plants are about to get real swole, is what you're saying

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's like keeping a succulent indoors, give it what plants crave more than once a week? loving dead.

Throw it outside in an upside down pot with no water for a year? Thrives.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Elviscat posted:

It's like keeping a succulent indoors, give it what plants crave more than once a week? loving dead.

Seriously, some plants are machines while others get their water at the wrong time of day and decide that this is too much to cope with.

I once "lost" a tiny cactus that turned out behind the TV shelve after months, still fine. Lesson here is to give your plants less water than you think, I've ruined more plants by pampering them than otherwise.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Succulents hate water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Overwatering kills basically everything more quickly and more totally than underwatering.

A lot of plants make dramatic displays of being thirsty but will come right back if they get a drink. With overwatering it’s just “I guess I’ll die”. They lose all their leaves and you’re lucky if you can salvage anything.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

nexus6 posted:

The Basecamp implosion is pretty schaden-y

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1389369715638767619

Does this count as politics?

So uh...does this website look like this to anyone else?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Just pull a wheelie. Can't have headshake if the front wheel is in the air :thunk:

Yes you can?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yes you can?

Like totally

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Scratch Monkey posted:

Either a vape or bad cell phone battery

Or a remake of the classic Little Rascals firecracker joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz3u0hPOTqw

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Atticus_1354 posted:

I always like this gif of trailer loading because it really illustrates how easy some poor weight distribution can gently caress things up.

https://external-preview.redd.it/o0c6vBHOvtWVu-GZpsA4UNw0_b223ICzZi8E5GmA2yA.gif?format=mp4&s=74e339a3353519a14e93b542e158110932c102aa

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Roluth posted:

Result of the Facebook board review: ban upheld, but Facebook itself must review the ban within 6 months. What a way to worm out of a final decision.
Huzzah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

If you ever feel like your job has no meaning, imagine being on the Facebook oversight board.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Platystemon posted:

If you ever feel like your job has no meaning, imagine being on the Facebook oversight board.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Alan Smithee posted:

tangent but if you haven't seen this watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O13cjtMSiq4

$1 or $1 million

lol

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/beesmygod_/status/1389594634641346561?s=19

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Is Somethingawful regularly making it's way into the news? (Well, into Vice, at least.)

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Zesty posted:

When does that become assault?

I know there’s been some concern of that in the NHL. At what point is the line crossed and things get real serious?
From many pages ago and apropos of nothing, Tom Wilson should be in prison.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Platystemon posted:

Overwatering kills basically everything more quickly and more totally than underwatering.

A lot of plants make dramatic displays of being thirsty but will come right back if they get a drink. With overwatering it’s just “I guess I’ll die”. They lose all their leaves and you’re lucky if you can salvage anything.

Next time I'm buying an indoor plant I'm referring to this video for reference:

https://youtu.be/lued_aTVX4w

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

Is Somethingawful regularly making it's way into the news? (Well, into Vice, at least.)

They reported occasionally on Lowtax getting outed as an abuser and on the sale of the site. Not exactly surprising, in that this place is just famous enough to internet users of a certain age for people to be interested in that kind of news.

Anyone involved in the nerdier places on the internet in the in the early to mid 00s probably has, if not an account here, then some experience with goons.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Xjtm91F.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Cool way for that physics teacher to demonstrate the principles of [i am too dumb to knowledgeably finish this sentence]