Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lightsabers are cool. Space battles are cool. Let's make lightsaber space battles and also giant robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ramadu posted:

In that Gundam podcast mobile suit breakdown they found some interview where he said star wars did influence him and he thought the lightsabers looked cool as hell so he put them in

he was right

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And then The Last Jedi did a worse version of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GYB1neCEic

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

One of the little things I like about CCA's final duel is how Char and Amuro seem to keep modulating the power of their sabers. They'll swing at full power, then turn them down when evading to save power. I'm not sure if this was intentional or some other consequence of the animation style, but to me it added a bit of extra detail of just how big a deal the two are as far as pilots go. I don't recall any situations in MSG, Z, or ZZ where something like that was done, so it always struck me as "see, these two are employing a risky tactic for an endurance fight that takes a lot of skill to perform, they are True Aces!"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Warmachine posted:

One of the little things I like about CCA's final duel is how Char and Amuro seem to keep modulating the power of their sabers. They'll swing at full power, then turn them down when evading to save power. I'm not sure if this was intentional or some other consequence of the animation style, but to me it added a bit of extra detail of just how big a deal the two are as far as pilots go. I don't recall any situations in MSG, Z, or ZZ where something like that was done, so it always struck me as "see, these two are employing a risky tactic for an endurance fight that takes a lot of skill to perform, they are True Aces!"

This is how you know someone on the animation team is also a fan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the tiny things and quirks in Tomino directed series I really enjoy. One of the bits I like a lot is when Hathaway makes a hasty takeoff in a Jegan and doesn't have his backpack thrusters oriented properly so when they kick in his suit gets jostled around. I like it when small details like that get animated.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's not a Tomino thing, but one of my favourite moments in any Gundam show is when Garrod first uses the X-Divider in Gundam X. It's a brand new upgrade making it's debut after the cast talked about how cool it was in the hanger earlier, and Garrod is having a grudge match against the enemy who destroyed the X necessitating an upgrade in the first place. Garrod makes a cool speech about how he's going to kick the guy's rear end, then jumps forward and immediately falls flat on his face because he's never used the unit before and has no idea of the way it performs; so the boost in speed from new thrusters catches him off-guard. It's such a silly little moment, but makes Garrod fallible in a simple and relatable way and I love it.

As to the beam sabers in a Tomino thing, I also love the really thin beam sabers in Turn A. They're just a reall slim line of energy that constantly sparks and it really gives a feeling of power to them. I'm not sure if anything else ever animated them in the same way.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

tsob posted:

As to the beam sabers in a Tomino thing, I also love the really thin beam sabers in Turn A. They're just a reall slim line of energy that constantly sparks and it really gives a feeling of power to them. I'm not sure if anything else ever animated them in the same way.

I think G-Reco does?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I think G-Reco does?

Yeah, for the G-Self, at least.

There's a lot of unique designs for beam weapons in G-Reco.

Also, watching through the original series is reinforcing the idea that Kai and Sayla totally have a casual thing going on post war. They've got a surprising amount of little reactions to each other, like Sayla being the one person to notice Kai is still feeling like poo poo when the butterflies fly past on the way to Jaburo.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Know what? 00 is my favorite Gundam. It was the first Gundam I watched as it aired, it’s all about Lockon Stratos being cool and Tieria being dramatic as gently caress all the time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Know what? 00 is my favorite Gundam. It was the first Gundam I watched as it aired, it’s all about Lockon Stratos being cool and Tieria being dramatic as gently caress all the time.

Good opinion

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ManSedan posted:

That's cool. Like what you like. Unless it's AGE.

I mean, you can like AGE too. It's your world. Just...you shouldn't. But you can.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

That's cool. Like what you like. Unless it's AGE.

I mean, you can like AGE too. It's your world. Just...you shouldn't. But you can.

I mean, let's not insult AGE too much.

We need to save some vitriol for IGLOO, the original Build Divers, and Destiny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They put a spoiler on the gundam

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

They put a spoiler on the gundam

Yeah, even AGE has some redeeming qualities, I get it, but it's not enough to make the show worth watching.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like X now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
liking what i do is objectively correct, liking what i don't is objectively wrong. it's so simple!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally someone had the courage to say it!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Igloo at least gave us Igloo 2. Say what you will about Igloo 2 but in 3 episodes it gave us both tanks and the tankiest tank to tank tank tank.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like IGLOO. It's not great, but some of the episodes are alright, and I love the Zudah, stupid little exploding machine that it is. I liked them less when they tried to add in a more overarching plot beyond "look at these crazy machines we made that sucked, sure do wonder why we never mass produced those trashfires, anyway here's another robot that explodes when you look at it funny."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I like IGLOO. It's not great, but some of the episodes are alright, and I love the Zudah, stupid little exploding machine that it is. I liked them less when they tried to add in a more overarching plot beyond "look at these crazy machines we made that sucked, sure do wonder why we never mass produced those trashfires, anyway here's another robot that explodes when you look at it funny."

See, as a pitch, I love it. Catch 22 with giant robots sounds amazing. But then it acts like those wonderweapons aren't suicidal tire fires for idiots, and I kind of have my eyes glaze over.

Also, trying the SEED movies to see a full version of the story, since the show has some of the slowest pacing I've seen, and it's funny.

The pacing is just about tolerable. The amount that's happening in a given amount of time is more appropriate, but the presentation just makes it not work at all. Where the original Gundam took 15 minutes or so each for the first two episodes in the movie version to at least let people get attached to Amuro, the SEED movies just go at a bloody rush, skipping to episode nine by the half hour mark.

It's kind of absurd.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
IGLOO may be a tire fire but it did give us some new toys which is always nice

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That civil war amv got me to rewatch Zeta for the first time in a decade, this time with the dub. It's not as good, but I do love little things like the extremely Canadian Titan rando in episode 5.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Arbite posted:

That civil war amv got me to rewatch Zeta for the first time in a decade, this time with the dub. It's not as good, but I do love little things like the extremely Canadian Titan rando in episode 5.
Frankly Canadians are not the last people I would expect to fall into space fascism. I always suspected there was an incredibly suppressed rage under the veneer of politeness they put up, and one day the world may be all the worse because of it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Frankly Canadians are not the last people I would expect to fall into space fascism. I always suspected there was an incredibly suppressed rage under the veneer of politeness they put up, and one day the world may be all the worse because of it.

Operation Stardust devastated back bacon supplies, we were easy to persuade, there had to be a reckoning.

Also who the gently caress is this?

Why is there a random jogger in full track meet getup on the Argama with barely any gravity? Someone win a contest to be in the episode?

I'm in love all over again with this show.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arbite posted:

Also who the gently caress is this?

Why is there a random jogger in full track meet getup on the Argama with barely any gravity? Someone win a contest to be in the episode?

It's pretty common for stuff set in space to show people running as a form of exercise to prevent the muscular atrophy resulting from working long-term in low-gravity environments so if I had to guess, he's probably just meant as some background texture to illustrate what living on the Argama is like.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

See, as a pitch, I love it. Catch 22 with giant robots sounds amazing. But then it acts like those wonderweapons aren't suicidal tire fires for idiots, and I kind of have my eyes glaze over.

Also, trying the SEED movies to see a full version of the story, since the show has some of the slowest pacing I've seen, and it's funny.

The pacing is just about tolerable. The amount that's happening in a given amount of time is more appropriate, but the presentation just makes it not work at all. Where the original Gundam took 15 minutes or so each for the first two episodes in the movie version to at least let people get attached to Amuro, the SEED movies just go at a bloody rush, skipping to episode nine by the half hour mark.

It's kind of absurd.

That is a good point, I kind of glossed over all the glorification that went on. IMO I wouldn't mind another igloo that was more of a retrospective styled thing thing, post-war people looking over failed zeon projects and just going :psyduck: over what they were thinking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A workplace comedy crossed with the Pentagon Wars set in Anaheim's R&D department.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Arcsquad12 posted:

A workplace comedy crossed with the Pentagon Wars set in Anaheim's R&D department.

The monkey paw curling is this would also be a harem anime given what side material tells us about Anaheim.

Rabbi Tupac fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 7, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anaheim has a lot of ex-Zeonic employees, so you can even get in flashbacks to weird projects like the Barbus and a running gag where the main Zeon guy protests that at least ZEONIC didn't make the Zakrello!

I should mention here, for the record, that there's a pretty good manga about Hoshioka, a subcontractor for Zeonic, and their work on the Zaku before the war.

Developers: Mobile Suit Gundam Before One Year War. Worth a look if you like seeing MS engineering without war crimes... yet.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rabbi Tupac posted:

The monkey paw curling is this would also be a harem anime given what side material tells us about Anaheim.

unironically good

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Remind me, what is it in the side materials you're referring to?

Stuff I've seen has a more or less even mix in the employees, suggesting that harem anime setups would be uncommon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Side Material? 0083 made it clear that the Gundam Development Project at Anaheim was staffed entirely by sexy college grads.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

Remind me, what is it in the side materials you're referring to?

Stuff I've seen has a more or less even mix in the employees, suggesting that harem anime setups would be uncommon.

Maybe the lesbian harem fangame.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Arcsquad12 posted:

Side Material? 0083 made it clear that the Gundam Development Project at Anaheim was staffed entirely by sexy college grads.

This and some mangas run with that theme. I've only seen some Twitter grabs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This is nothing new, but strictly for the record, I'd like to agree with the common consensus that Hayato sent the wrong kid into space.

Watching "A Wish of War Orphans", Letz gets poo poo done. Think his teeth look goofy? That's because they're optimized for cutting ropes when he needs to bust out of captivity to deal with large scale military sabotage. He was stealing cars before he was seven.

At the same time, he's not a loose cannon. When Kai and Amuro say to bail and get to safety, he does it. No hesitation, no question.

I'm that saying that if Letz was in Zeta he'd solve every problem. But I am saying that he wouldn't do half as much stupid poo poo, would almost certainly get through Gryps alive, and probably would keep Sarah from getting loose, ensuring her survival as well.

But moving away from things that are good (Letz) to things that suck (Frequently, Katz) I finished the first SEED movie, and man. That was bad.

Some of it was the original material, of course (my opinion on SEED should be clear at this point) but some of it was due to the adaptation. For example, if I understand correctly, the little girl who gives Kira the origami flower in the original dies an episode or two after that, allowing the emotional manipulation to be a little less transparent. But here, with the two events placed so close together, it's obvious she only exists to die so the audience and Kira will feel bad. (Compare to Miharu in the original, who also died pretty quick in the movies, but who had enough going on that she felt like a real character instead of a plot device.) You also have dramatic climaxes get skipped over for no real reason, only to be filled back in with flashbacks in a way that causes maximum confusion. Kira's being held at gunpoint, then he's back at the Not!White Base with no explanation, then flashbacks. It's bad structure.

I'm not exactly surprised, but I am confused.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

This is nothing new, but strictly for the record, I'd like to agree with the common consensus that Hayato sent the wrong kid into space.

Hayato doesn't send Katz to space at all. Amuro decides to hijack a place to leave for Karaba, and when he's saying goodbye to Fraw he asks if he can borrow Katz for a while with very obvious implications. At which point Kikka says she should go to, while Letz nods beside her. Amuro tells them that they should stay and take care of Fraw and the baby though, then takes Katz and leaves. Which is at least partially going to be because Katz was the one pushing Amuro to become involved in the conflict, and questioning him. I believe he may have been the oldest too.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Credit to Anaheim for being progressive about gender roles. ONLY HIRE THE SEXIEST WOMEN TO BE LEAD ENGINEER. We know they do it best.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now if only they did background checks for obsessive compulsive disorders and author-induced hysteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If I recall, Anaheim is staffed mostly by women because that was the case with actual software engineering in Japan at the time, which was a female-dominated field until the mid 90s when suddenly people realized it was profitable