Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

People were extremely pissed because Booker was like one stat away from a triple double or something and then jimmer got in the game and chucked like a psychopath and blew it. Suns fans hate jimmer

Booker had 59 points lol

e: book enters with 3 minutes left to score 4 points to hit 60 and jimmer goes 1-5 in that span

hifi fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

hifi posted:

Booker had 59 points lol

e: book enters with 3 minutes left to score 4 points to hit 60 and jimmer goes 1-5 in that span

Just thinking about that game makes me laugh. I am glad we are good now but there were some bright spots in the dark times

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

dokmo posted:

join me, won't you, on this look back at jimmer's 2019 season with the suns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2a3FwV9en4

He seems absolutely stunned that first corner 3 was blocked

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jimmer showing up on the GS summer league roster was great and got me through an otherwise boring California Classic

Also got the lady in front of me to face palm when he checked into game #2 and I went crazy

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/1389945646195650564?s=19

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Bill Simmons has become a parody of himself

https://twitter.com/ToLey88/status/1389964054899445765?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

thrilla in vanilla posted:

People were extremely pissed because Booker was like one stat away from a triple double or something and then jimmer got in the game and chucked like a psychopath and blew it. Suns fans hate jimmer

to be fair, that is incredibly funny

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

at this point the people that willingly expose themselves to Simmons just so they can performatively complain about him are way more annoying than Simmons himself, who I never hear or engage with

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/aardvarsk/status/1389973600967434241?s=21

https://twitter.com/aardvarsk/status/1389981229026476034?s=21

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pop and the Spurs turned Gary Neal and Bryn Forbes into NBA players and even they gave up on Jimmer in 2015. That should have already been the death knell for his NBA career.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Its not really said anymore, but for a few years people would say "If you can shoot you have a place in the NBA" and guys like Jimmer make me think no. No that's not true.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Hmmm

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1389930540409794570?s=19

About time

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

i'm sorry but ben simmons is gorgeous and deserves to be on this list the voting is sus at best

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

turn the 0-2 into the 0-3

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Al Horford didn't play enough games to qualify, sadly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

at this point the people that willingly expose themselves to Simmons just so they can performatively complain about him are way more annoying than Simmons himself, who I never hear or engage with

I avoid him but he showed up on The Lowe Post (who draws lots of bad guests unfortunately) and I was very upset

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ain't nobody realer than guerilla gorilla.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

If Stotts can’t “pull a rabbit out of his hat” with a playoff miracle of sorts, as one source put it, the Blazers are expected to opt for a new coaching voice. And the Damian Lillard timeline, it seems, is playing a big part here.

The 30-year-old franchise centerpiece has three seasons left on his deal, with a player option worth $54.2 million in the 2024-25 campaign. His loyalty to Portland has been well-chronicled, but there’s a strong sense that a new coach may be needed to make the most of these next few seasons. Stotts, who sources say has less player support now than he did in years past, has one season left (upwards of $6 million).

Among the potential coaching candidates for the Trail Blazers, sources say: Lakers assistant Jason Kidd, Hawks interim coach Nate McMillan, 76ers assistant Dave Joerger, Clippers assistant Chauncey Billups and Spurs vice president of basketball operations Brent Barry.

:lol: at the idea of someone hiring Jason Kidd in TYOOL 2021

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

WhyteRyce posted:

periodically i forget what a piece of poo poo that guy is

https://twitter.com/lil_buts/status/1389970899911118850

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
He's awful and he's not even good at his job so I don't know why he's hired.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Space Camp fuckup posted:

He went 1-10 in 14 minutes when they played a game in SLC, it was really something else

between his insane chucking freezing out booker and all the insane jazz fans still pining for him having to watch him stink up the joint this was an extremely satisfying game all around

Lockback posted:

Its not really said anymore, but for a few years people would say "If you can shoot you have a place in the NBA" and guys like Jimmer make me think no. No that's not true.

It's really more that he highlights that off ball shooting is it's own unique skill set (and also that the bar for short guys is insanely high) He can shoot but he can't get himself looks off the dribble against NBA defenders and never learned or had much desire to learn how to play without the ball.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 5, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

morestuff posted:

I miss when he actually watched basketball because he was a good sports writer 15 years ago.

Edit: This made me want to go reread some of his old draft diaries and I immediately regret everything

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Rick posted:

He's awful and he's not even good at his job so I don't know why he's hired.

Can you think of another coach that would spill a drink on the floor to gain an extra timeout? Now THAT'S the kind of outside the box thinking the NBA needs!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Glumslinger posted:

I miss when he actually watched basketball because he was a good sports writer 15 years ago.

Edit: This made me want to go reread some of his old draft diaries and I immediately regret everything

*For the Time. Really important caveat.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Can you think of another coach that would spill a drink on the floor to gain an extra timeout? Now THAT'S the kind of outside the box thinking the NBA needs!

Jim Boylen is definitely the type of person who unintentionally spills his drinks at an alarming rate whenever he gets jacked and juiced

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

WhyteRyce posted:

I started the paragraph nodding my head, if this is the best defense Stotts can get out of this roster then it's just not gonna work. And then I got to the list of suggested candidates and jfc.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

*For the Time. Really important caveat.

I don't even know if I'd say he was good by those standards, just different in a way that stood out and connected with people

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The Blazers should go after Becky Hammon.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1390003182647103500?s=19

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Didn’t jimmer average 50 in the CBA?

I can’t believe how much time in my life I’ve spent listening to Simmons. I actually found it comforting to listen to him at the beginning of the pandemic as a sort of phone call with your dickish uncle. He is probably an awful person and his sports takes are generally awful these days. It’s been interesting seeing his decline into generic rich old white guy opinions. I do give him credit for discovering a lot of really great sportswriters and culture writers.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

gotta imagine that at least 2 of those years are fully unguaranteed, right?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Katana_Warrior posted:

gotta imagine that at least 2 of those years are fully unguaranteed, right?

3 of them

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

I don't even know if I'd say he was good by those standards, just different in a way that stood out and connected with people

The whole pop culture referencing and meta stuff hadn't really taken off yet. Most of the time when we bothered to read actual sports articles it was either some puff piece done for access reasons or some sanctimonious rant by some local hack; it was a really refreshing and different thing. Kind of like what Sports Center was like to some of us back in the 90s.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I dunno what the opposite of rose-colored glasses is but I remember 2005-ish being mostly Rick Reilly, articles deifying Brett Favre, and old guys clumsily making fun of fantasy sports despite knowing nothing about it. "Actually connected with fans and seemed to enjoy sports" immediately made his columns so much better than the vast majority of stuff on ESPN/SI/CBS Sports. There was good stuff out there but its not like every sports fan knew about freedarko or whatever else.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I dunno what the opposite of rose-colored glasses is but I remember 2005-ish being mostly Rick Reilly, articles deifying Brett Favre, and old guys clumsily making fun of fantasy sports despite knowing nothing about it. "Actually connected with fans and seemed to enjoy sports" immediately made his columns so much better than the vast majority of stuff on ESPN/SI/CBS Sports. There was good stuff out there but its not like every sports fan knew about freedarko or whatever else.

rick reilly sucks but if given the choice to go back and read his lovely dad golf jokes or simmons writing 30,000 words about playing black jack with J Bug and Johnny Sex Crimes, well, at least the reilly articles were short

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Where is the best basketball journalism atm? It kind of feels like the athletic has fallen off a little. I mostly read articles from them, the ringer, and yahoo sports.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I miss the Daily Dime, it was such a great recap of all of the games the previous night and what you should be excited to watch the next night.

Just a random day in 2007

http://www.espn.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070205

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

dokmo posted:

join me, won't you, on this look back at jimmer's 2019 season with the suns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2a3FwV9en4

You didn't list what song you used, which is like 25% of why I lurk this thread. Googling the lyrics has been a nightmare, what is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

GordonComstock posted:

You didn't list what song you used, which is like 25% of why I lurk this thread. Googling the lyrics has been a nightmare, what is it?

Aaron Collins, "Little Bit Of Lovin". I'm trying not to use songs licensed by youtube to avoid their copyright claims.