Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Was able to get a nice ride in with a buddy yesterday. Not pictured is all my rain gear in my backpack because we swore it would rain the entire ride when we left at dawn.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Riding in smoke will be bad for me, but as bad as not getting to go ride all this stuff before it all burns down?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Riding in smoke isn’t worth it. Speaking from too much experience. Good resources are PurpleAir and the US fire and smoke map.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have sites bookmarked on my hotbar to show weather, smoke forecast, and back country travel restrictions due to fire. We don't get smoke nearly as bad in the middle of the continent but the sky was noticeably orange and it hurt to go at anything harder than a moderate pace for a few weeks after coming back from Peru. Kinda sucked I was hoping coming back down from a few weeks at altitude would give me temporary superpowers but I couldn't put it to the test.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Car Hater posted:

Woof, day four after the second dose of vaccine and I thought I was fully recovered, hit the first big hill in my rode today and it was like my soul left my body, felt like I was going to fall asleep in the saddle

Lighter note, been granted full work from wherever over wfh, planning a grand tour out west (USA only obv, no Whistler :( ). Fully expecting the worst fire season ever until next year, how do y'all out there manage it on ride days with smoke, what are the good resources for air quality forecast?

https://gispub.epa.gov/airnow/ This is the live and interactive map. Generally I find that you can ride in smoke up to maybe 150 ppm but really over 100ppm is pretty rough.

Here is the descriptions at each level. https://www.airnow.gov/aqi/aqi-basics/#:~:text=Think%20of%20the%20AQI%20as,300%20represents%20hazardous%20air%20quality.

E: same links as bud... should have looked that there was another page.

Other content I rode 100 miles yesterday on a mix of road, bike path, gravel, and single track. My rear end is so sore. I really want to go mountain bike but know I will die. My longest ride ever before that was 45 miles...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

Riding when it's smokey isn't just bad for your lungs, it's bad for your eyes, too.
If this summer gets hosed by smoke I'm going to just cry.

I was riding with a full on respirator around portland last year.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I just rode my new bichael ~25km today and I am dee-stroyed. Pandemic slobbery's really murdered my cardiovascular health holy poo poo, as soon as I hit the hills my HR pegged and didn't come down until I slow-pedaled home.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

Bud Manstrong posted:

Riding in smoke isn’t worth it. Speaking from too much experience. Good resources are PurpleAir and the US fire and smoke map.

Those are nice. I've also looked at windy.com, which has some other interesting layers as well, although those are less useful for riding purposes.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Was able to get a nice ride in with a buddy yesterday. Not pictured is all my rain gear in my backpack because we swore it would rain the entire ride when we left at dawn.

Fisherman’s? Nice.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

mexecan posted:

Fisherman’s? Nice.

Yep. Still washed out in places as you head up towards the dam.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Anybody ridden Malheur NF and around Magone Lake? What's the winter weather there like?

Eastern Oregon

thatguy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 4, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Not actually been there but my general experience with central and eastern Oregon in the winter is that it's either cold as gently caress and dry with a frozen ground or slightly less cold and with snow on the ground.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Can someone recommend me a good entry level dirt jumper? Sub $1000

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

Can someone recommend me a good entry level dirt jumper? Sub $1000

I think he really means is help me justify buying a bike I will ride 3 times a year.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

spwrozek posted:

I think he really means is help me justify buying a bike I will ride 3 times a year.

Doesn't have to justify it when its not in stock.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I have a crippling impulse purchasing problem.

Also this is a 10 minute bike ride from my house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=043LradHQ38

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

I have a crippling impulse purchasing problem.

Also this is a 10 minute bike ride from my house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=043LradHQ38

You should go to Ruby Hill instead.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

spwrozek posted:

You should go to Ruby Hill instead.

I went there a few times last year. It's good.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Nothing's in stock and 1k won't quite get you there afaik but the commencal absolut and the canyon stitched 360 were what I was looking at. I found a CL deal and recommend doing that, you don't need a fancy DJ and I found a good enough bike for 500 while waiting for the new bikes to restock.

The Marin Alcatraz might be a good option as well.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

commencal absolut
canyon stitched 360
Marin Alcatraz

All good option, all between 1 and 2k.

DMR Sect is almost 1k on the dot and is fantastic. Its what I ride.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Quick question about a vintage Rocky Mountain Equipe: the seller says it is a 19.5 inch frame, would this be a good fit for someone who is 5'6?

I am thinking about making a nice little grocery-getter for my wife by adding fenders and a set of swept back bars (lowering the seat and getting a shorter stem too, of course)

It is in excellent shape and is full XT

Quick pic

Edit: nevermind, I should have just googled it, it appears that it will be too large, even with a shorter stem and different bars.

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 6, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jet sanchEz posted:

Edit: nevermind, I should have just googled it, it appears that it will be too large, even with a shorter stem and different bars.

I estimated a reach of 44cm, which might be in the realm of possible, but I bet standover would be a real problem.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Yes, agreed.

At $300, I am tempted to buy it for myself but I have way too many bikes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone wear some kind of shin protection on the trail? I have my legs tattooed and I'd like to avoid gouging them on my pedals if possible. Weather has been cool so I've just been wearing joggers for protection, but when it's shorts time, I'd like something to cover my shins and provide a little protection. I don't know that tall socks are enough, but I'm not looking for bulky shin pads either. I'm picturing some kind of mildly padded sock or sleeve kind of thing. Anyone ride with anything like that?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

rockcity posted:

Does anyone wear some kind of shin protection on the trail? I have my legs tattooed and I'd like to avoid gouging them on my pedals if possible. Weather has been cool so I've just been wearing joggers for protection, but when it's shorts time, I'd like something to cover my shins and provide a little protection. I don't know that tall socks are enough, but I'm not looking for bulky shin pads either. I'm picturing some kind of mildly padded sock or sleeve kind of thing. Anyone ride with anything like that?

Yeah after gouging out my shin pretty bad I picked up some of these and they've been good. Seem to be exactly what you're after - a mildly padded sock.

https://www.endurasport.com/singletrack-shin-guard-sock-black/12928783.html

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Yeah after gouging out my shin pretty bad I picked up some of these and they've been good. Seem to be exactly what you're after - a mildly padded sock.

https://www.endurasport.com/singletrack-shin-guard-sock-black/12928783.html

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking would work. Thanks!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've been thinking to pick up some cheap soccer shin guards but instead just have scars. Flat pedal life. :black101:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Scars add character.

I wear tall socks though and it works well enough.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
If I didn’t have 200 hours of tattooing and the corresponding amount of money put into my legs, I wouldn’t really care.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I have the ixs flow kneepads that have a fair amount of shin protection too. I of course managed to get one pedal bite above my sock and below the shin guard. But other than that they have been great.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

rockcity posted:

If I didn’t have 200 hours of tattooing and the corresponding amount of money put into my legs, I wouldn’t really care.

I was going to add a tattoo disclaimer but I didn't. If I had a bunch of cool tats I would be protecting them as well.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sold my Jeffsy today, first time I've sold something so expensive to a stranger but it went smoothly and I got a great price for it (thanks covid).

I was going to keep it for a while and gradually upgrade it, but I've got a new bike on order now from a local company who have given me absolutely incredible service and with bikes actually in stock. This new bike once it arrives very soon (hopefully) is going to be insane. Will be posting NBD pics in here when I've finally got it!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Sold my Jeffsy today, first time I've sold something so expensive to a stranger but it went smoothly and I got a great price for it (thanks covid).

I was going to keep it for a while and gradually upgrade it, but I've got a new bike on order now from a local company who have given me absolutely incredible service and with bikes actually in stock. This new bike once it arrives very soon (hopefully) is going to be insane. Will be posting NBD pics in here when I've finally got it!

Can you tell me who has bikes in stock. Been to every shop in town trying to find dad a bike and October looks like the earliest he can get one.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I crashed today. good day to bike. My girlfriend is dunking on me atm for posting this.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You know a relationship is in trouble when your SO doesn't take the time to dunk on you when you set yourself up.

Also ATCAB (all train cops are bastards)

There's a sick little single track loop in some city owned forest that while not 100% official has been given the blessing of the city to exist. Unfortunately the train cops are taking serious issue to people crossing the rails that are one of the only ways to get on to the property. The other way is under the rail bridge at the north side and we don't even know if that's technically legal.

Not gonna ride there for a few weeks at least, I'm expecting the lovely train cops are going to be waiting in the bushes to nail people.

Why the gently caress do trains even need their own cops in the first place?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Railroad bulls have a long, bad history, but anything involving railroad RoW is super fucky.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

Can you tell me who has bikes in stock. Been to every shop in town trying to find dad a bike and October looks like the earliest he can get one.

Geometron Bikes. They're not a big brand and are relatively niche and not exactly cheap either, might not suit everyone.

My bike is literally just waiting on a delivery for a saddle and a matchmaker which should have arrived last week, fingers crossed it'll all be assembled this week. Shimano XT too which is crazy given the current circumstances.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Back out on the trails with Cerberus.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Had my first big crash today on the Marlin. Came into a tight turn with a berm too hot and also target fixated on a tree . . . Sent it off the berm and into the tree. Front wheel turned into a taco so hard it could not roll any more so I had to drag the bike two miles :(

All components seem intact though so hopefully back in business with a new rim. Tire and tube even still hold air on the taco rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Had my first big crash today on the Marlin. Came into a tight turn with a berm too hot and also target fixated on a tree . . . Sent it off the berm and into the tree. Front wheel turned into a taco so hard it could not roll any more so I had to drag the bike two miles :(

All components seem intact though so hopefully back in business with a new rim. Tire and tube even still hold air on the taco rim.

Nice! Bike god appeased.