Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

dy. posted:

I have the same PSU and bought this which looks to be no longer available, though I'm sure the Corsair store has something similar. These are much longer, and a little easier to route because they don't have the very stiff plastic preventing them from bending.

edit: Here's the newer, in-stock version.

Hell yeah, thanks for the links. bought.

i won't lie, i burst out laughing when i went to plug it in and uhhh it didn't reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bingemoose posted:

Probably a stupid question but is there a way to get on an ordering list for GPU's rather than consistently checking the web. I've gotta build a workstation for home to make some side money and the bottleneck is getting a GPU that is future proof for a few years, runs engineering software and is good for videogames and VR.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950980&perpage=40&noseen=1

Probably your best bet, frankly.

I had to take off my Cryorig H7 for tower transport. When repasting I remembered had an extra 120mm fan laying around, and the extra brackets. Threw the second fan on there and seriously impressed at the result between that and repasting, and regretting not during it earlier.

i7-7700k stock. Down to about 30C on idle (it’s never really idle but when it’s just sitting there), and down to like 65-68C under load (down from 77-80 average).

Now I feel like I have thermal headroom to add some OC.

Think about your cooling and repaste every few years people.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 4, 2021

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Do I have to install Armory Crate(ASUS motherboard) to adjust my fans and RGB or is there a recommended non bloatware program to use.?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did you install the Ethernet driver from ASUS’s site?

It finally worked the third time I installed the drivers. Weird that the WiFi worked right off the bat, but I had to install drivers for the ethernet.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Upgrading from a i5-4590 and a 970 to this, wondering if I've made any obvious mistakes. I may need to switch to a full tower? The case seems fine but I haven't double checked it. Not sure what size the gpu I will get will be since I'm just going to take whatever 3070-3090 I can find whenever I can find it and use my 970 till then.

I'm not under any huge budget constraints and I can be patient till I get a new GPU. Using this mainly for 1080p at 60fps and sometimes for my vive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($306.33 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($235.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1095.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-04 22:46 EDT-0400

Joiny fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 5, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't understand how this happens, but now my 4 month old PSU in my build appears to be giving out. Games are suddenly crashing under load. I was just playing games on this system a week ago without an issue and now I get full system crashes under load. When I first built this system in December I had a different PSU that did the same thing and I returned it for a better Corsair PSU, but now I'm having issues again. Symptoms are exactly the same as last time so I guess it's probably the PSU again. I've never had this many issues with any computer I've ever owned. My GPU is a 3070 so it's not like I'm pulling 3090 wattage here.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't understand how this happens, but now my 4 month old PSU in my build appears to be giving out. Games are suddenly crashing under load. I was just playing games on this system a week ago without an issue and now I get full system crashes under load. When I first built this system in December I had a different PSU that did the same thing and I returned it for a better Corsair PSU, but now I'm having issues again. Symptoms are exactly the same as last time so I guess it's probably the PSU again. I've never had this many issues with any computer I've ever owned. My GPU is a 3070 so it's not like I'm pulling 3090 wattage here.

Unless you’re under powered, it’s not the PSU.

My guess is the motherboard, maybe the CPU or ram.

Two different PSU models aren’t typically going to carry the same issue the exact same way.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It mobo prob. Do a ram diag jast for lulz tho

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Bingemoose posted:

Probably a stupid question but is there a way to get on an ordering list for GPU's rather than consistently checking the web. I've gotta build a workstation for home to make some side money and the bottleneck is getting a GPU that is future proof for a few years, runs engineering software and is good for videogames and VR.

no because everyone else's side money project is burning their new 30 series GPU to mine cryptocurrency

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bingemoose posted:

Evga has a queue. Get on it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Unless you’re under powered, it’s not the PSU.

My guess is the motherboard, maybe the CPU or ram.

Two different PSU models aren’t typically going to carry the same issue the exact same way.
I have other motherboard issues so it may be that, but is there a good way to confirm?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Joiny posted:

Upgrading from a i5-4590 and a 970 to this, wondering if I've made any obvious mistakes. I may need to switch to a full tower? The case seems fine but I haven't double checked it. Not sure what size the gpu I will get will be since I'm just going to take whatever 3070-3090 I can find whenever I can find it and use my 970 till then.

I'm not under any huge budget constraints and I can be patient till I get a new GPU. Using this mainly for 1080p at 60fps and sometimes for my vive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($306.33 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($235.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1095.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-04 22:46 EDT-0400

Depending on how badly you want it, that $1k without the card could get expensive for the 3080 - if you want a guaranteed device, a similarly specced desktop from ibuypower looks to be around $3k, as an fyi. Although that's basically the same price as buying a 3080 off eBay + your components.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is there a real difference between the MSI B550M Mortar and Bazooka? Can’t really see what the difference is. Maybe PCI slots?

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Alucard posted:

Depending on how badly you want it, that $1k without the card could get expensive for the 3080 - if you want a guaranteed device, a similarly specced desktop from ibuypower looks to be around $3k, as an fyi. Although that's basically the same price as buying a 3080 off eBay + your components.

I have 2 microcenters near me and I think a 3070 will be good enough if I don't find a 3080. I'll probably be able to get one in the next 6 months if I keep discord camping... maybe

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Joiny posted:

I have 2 microcenters near me and I think a 3070 will be good enough if I don't find a 3080. I'll probably be able to get one in the next 6 months if I keep discord camping... maybe

Whenever you get a 30 series card you should also immediately get a new monitor because otherwise your parts will be absurd overkill for 1080p 60fps.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes i got a 144hz monitor with my 3070 and it looks amazing

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a real difference between the MSI B550M Mortar and Bazooka? Can’t really see what the difference is. Maybe PCI slots?

Mortar has 2 more SATA connections, 1 more PCI-E slot and replaces one of the USB-A ports with a USB-C port. So if you're gonna be using both the M.2 slots on the Bazooka I think you then have no SATA left for other drives. Depending on the price (and in the UK they're both the same price) just get the Mortar, and if you don't specifically need a micro ATX board think about the B550-PRO which is the Mortar with all the gamer branding removed and is usually cheaper.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ll see if the price makes sense. I have the Bazooka now and it has the features I need, but if the Mortar is around the same price I’ll get that

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have other motherboard issues so it may be that, but is there a good way to confirm?

If you have other motherboard issues, that’s a pretty good confirmation. No other good way to confirm really. If you’re having one issue you’ve isolated to a part, other issues can usually be blamed on that part.

I’d probably reseat ram as smyte said just for lulz. But other that than, if you can get away with a return at your retailer for the board I’d try that first. If not you’re looking at RMA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s probably the mobo because when I installed the board originally I didn’t install the I/O plate properly and some of the USB ports may have had improper metal contact. So I have been having intermittent issues with all of the USB ports.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s probably the mobo because when I installed the board originally I didn’t install the I/O plate properly and some of the USB ports may have had improper metal contact. So I have been having intermittent issues with all of the USB ports.

USB issues are a common and well known issue with Zen 3 and 5xx boards iirc. Update your BIOS if you haven't already, they released fixes for them a month or so ago.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

USB issues are a common and well known issue with Zen 3 and 5xx boards iirc. Update your BIOS if you haven't already, they released fixes for them a month or so ago.
Yeah I did that, believe me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is there a specific brand of thermal paste people recommend?

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like some assistance with this build, if possible. It will be used for storage (OMV) and running a few services/Docker containers/whatever.

This will be replacing an Intel Nuc with multiple USB hard drives attached to it. The case dimensions work well with the space I have to put it in, so I'd like to keep that. I'm not sure about the processor; I'm not seeing options with graphics, so a super basic video card might be required as well. There will be a couple of miscellaneous-sized drives going in along with the new 4Tb drives. I've chosen one stick of RAM so that I could throw a second in later, but 2x8Gb would probably be fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($254.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520I AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($82.01 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $828.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-05 11:56 EDT-0400

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a specific brand of thermal paste people recommend?

Eh most of it is the same.

I just used some noctua paste and was happy with it. Good consistency and thermals.

dabre_aiamim posted:

I'd like some assistance with this build, if possible. It will be used for storage (OMV) and running a few services/Docker containers/whatever.

This will be replacing an Intel Nuc with multiple USB hard drives attached to it. The case dimensions work well with the space I have to put it in, so I'd like to keep that. I'm not sure about the processor; I'm not seeing options with graphics, so a super basic video card might be required as well. There will be a couple of miscellaneous-sized drives going in along with the new 4Tb drives. I've chosen one stick of RAM so that I could throw a second in later, but 2x8Gb would probably be fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($254.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520I AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $828.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-05 11:56 EDT-0400

The i5-11400 is cheaper, on par or better performance than the 3600, and includes iGPU. You’ll probably spend a little more on the board, but the discount on the CPU should easily cover it.

One stick of ram is not ideal. Ram performs best in pairs. If you think you’ll benefit from 32 GB buy it now, or get a 4 slot board if you can find one.

Also that ram is bad (2133). You probably want 3000 @CL16 minimum. Ideally 3200-3600.

For your use case you won’t see much or any benefit from the SN750. A SN550 will save you a few bucks or let you get 1TB.

I would probably buy a better PSU. I’ll look for something and see what pops. The CXMs are generally just ok.

You can probably find a single 8TB drive for that price, unless you’re buying two for a raid config or something specific.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eh most of it is the same.

I just used some noctua paste and was happy with it. Good consistency and thermals.
Thanks

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is well regarded.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Welp. I was able to snag a prebuilt on BestBuy.com with a 3070 this morning. I will be adding additional fans but...uh...yeah. :shrug:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kunabomber posted:

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is well regarded.

Noctua good too but yeah I went with the griz.

Just dont get the conductive stuff.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Joiny posted:

unrelated but dude please fix this av. put an alpha channel and make the dog leaning out of the post. gently caress sakes man what the hell are you doing.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Joiny posted:

You're still going to have to camp out. I camped out at one of the Micro Centers in the Atlanta area and was able to score a 3090. But there were about 9 people in front of me by the time I got there around 6:30pm and anyone that showed up around midnight or later didn't get anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Welp. I was able to snag a prebuilt on BestBuy.com with a 3070 this morning. I will be adding additional fans but...uh...yeah. :shrug:
How much was that

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

MonkeyFit posted:

You're still going to have to camp out. I camped out at one of the Micro Centers in the Atlanta area and was able to score a 3090. But there were about 9 people in front of me by the time I got there around 6:30pm and anyone that showed up around midnight or later didn't get anything.

I'm on the unofficial discord and I probably won't have to camp for a 3070, but for a 3080 ya.

Smythe posted:

unrelated but dude please fix this av. put an alpha channel and make the dog leaning out of the post. gently caress sakes man what the hell are you doing.

I am a computer man not a graphics man, but I will fix this for you, so that when you come back from your constant probations you can see my shiny new avatar.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Joiny posted:

I'm on the unofficial discord and I probably won't have to camp for a 3070, but for a 3080 ya.

I am a computer man not a graphics man, but I will fix this for you, so that when you come back from your constant probations you can see my shiny new avatar.

Here's the av w/ the background fixed:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Broken Machine posted:

Here's the av w/ the background fixed:

Is this that “doggiecoin” Linux blockchain-thinggee? Looks cute!

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Thank you Broken Machine, it is done!

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

The i5-11400 is cheaper, on par or better performance than the 3600, and includes iGPU. You’ll probably spend a little more on the board, but the discount on the CPU should easily cover it.

One stick of ram is not ideal. Ram performs best in pairs. If you think you’ll benefit from 32 GB buy it now, or get a 4 slot board if you can find one.

Also that ram is bad (2133). You probably want 3000 @CL16 minimum. Ideally 3200-3600.

For your use case you won’t see much or any benefit from the SN750. A SN550 will save you a few bucks or let you get 1TB.

I would probably buy a better PSU. I’ll look for something and see what pops. The CXMs are generally just ok.

You can probably find a single 8TB drive for that price, unless you’re buying two for a raid config or something specific.

Thanks for the feedback, my last build was multiple years ago and effectively a copy/paste from one of the Logical Increments' builds. I've tried again with this, dropping back to just 16Gb of ram. The Seagate drive is a placeholder for something in the 8Tb range, not that specific drive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($188.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H510M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($77.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $773.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-05 21:06 EDT-0400

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

How much was that

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6434646

Seems like a decent build. I'm going to add more exhaust fans on top and a second SSD.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My 3070 by itself sells for $1400-1500 so yeah, I would say that's a good deal

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.microcenter.com/product/630918/powerspec-g707-gaming-computer

Anything glaringly wrong with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

My 3070 by itself sells for $1400-1500 so yeah, I would say that's a good deal

For anyone interested, I had that page bookmarked for a few weeks and had been checking regularly. Checked at 10am PST and I almost was able to get it at my closest BestBuy but they got snapped up between adding it to my cart and checkout. Refreshed a few times the next few minutes and it said "not availble within 250 miles". A few :f5: in frustration later it came up again as "in stock nearby". I guess they added more stock to other stores ~50 miles away and I was able to successfully order one.

I really think I just got lucky. Its nuts how fast they sell.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 6, 2021