Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Nope, this is a persistent issue. Has anyone had YT Music refuse to download albums? Wifi or LTE, it changes to the circle but does not download anything. Multiple albums, multiple wifi networks. I cleared my cache and user data completely, and that let me download one album at night, but the following morning it does the same thing. It also doesn't allow the artist's name to be clicked to go to their artist page, nor when I click on the vertical "..." for more options does it give any cancel download options.

I sent a very angry feedback to Google but if this doesn't fix itself I'm cancelling my Music subscription, cause it's a trash service I only kept cause of my YouTube subscription. If I can't download music offline, gently caress off, I'm switch to Spotify.

I've ended up having to tell YouTube Music to stop trying to download stuff and just clear it all out because it'll have the notification to download Smart Downloads or that it's fixing them for hours on end and it started to use up the battery constantly searching.

It's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Johnny Truant posted:

Nope, this is a persistent issue. Has anyone had YT Music refuse to download albums? Wifi or LTE, it changes to the circle but does not download anything. Multiple albums, multiple wifi networks. I cleared my cache and user data completely, and that let me download one album at night, but the following morning it does the same thing. It also doesn't allow the artist's name to be clicked to go to their artist page, nor when I click on the vertical "..." for more options does it give any cancel download options.

I sent a very angry feedback to Google but if this doesn't fix itself I'm cancelling my Music subscription, cause it's a trash service I only kept cause of my YouTube subscription. If I can't download music offline, gently caress off, I'm switch to Spotify.

I haven't tested lately, but had the same issue. I'm also only keeping the subscription due to YouTube and being grandfathered in under the original GPM pricing.

It'll be less of an issue once I finish switching off of Fi onto a cheaper plan.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I hated every second of YT music. I ended up just downloading my entire library and am organizing it over time, because that was a far less painful option.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've ended up having to tell YouTube Music to stop trying to download stuff and just clear it all out because it'll have the notification to download Smart Downloads or that it's fixing them for hours on end and it started to use up the battery constantly searching.
It's bad.
I force closed the app for this, but even that's no guarantee

There is an unofficial desktop app that works great and I use it all the time.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
OMG IT'S SLIPPING IN CENSORED VERSIONS OF MY FAVORITE NEW SONGS! THERE'S NO WAY TO DISABLE THIS!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Google Play Music would do that. It's matching you with a "better" version! It would do it to stuff that I had uploaded a long time ago that played fine for years.

I had one song replaced with a completely different mix, one time.

Not sure how to do it on YTM, but GPM had an "un match" option for individual songs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Youtube Music keeps having to buffer for me. Like, every 20 seconds or so, it's super loving annoying. I have gigabit internet, and never ran into this problem with Google Play Music, and don't run into it with regular YouTube, only YouTube Music.

Plus, I had to export all of my.mp3s from Google Play, which I had ripped when I moved out of my parents' place and no longer have the CDs. This has really taught me to never rely on Google for anything.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It also won't buffer past the song you're listening to. Google music would cache a bunch of playlist. So if I go for a run, it has to be my favorites or specifically downloaded. Ugh!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

YTM is really bad and when GPM went away I switched to Spotify and haven't had any complaints.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

YTM is really bad and when GPM went away I switched to Spotify and haven't had any complaints.
Can you use Spotify as kind of a Google Photos, but for MP3s? I've always stored my MP3s on an external HDD for at-home listening and copied them to my phone as needed, until the drive crashed on me this weekend and made me consider safer alternatives. I am a relative old and not too up to date on cloud tech.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Can you use Spotify as kind of a Google Photos, but for MP3s? I've always stored my MP3s on an external HDD for at-home listening and copied them to my phone as needed, until the drive crashed on me this weekend and made me consider safer alternatives. I am a relative old and not too up to date on cloud tech.

You can but it's not particularly easy. You can have the Spotify desktop app scan folders for music files and then add those songs to playlists like normal, but if you're going to listen to that playlist on a different device, you'll have to download the whole playlist. And half the time for me, I have to make sure my computer and my phone are on the same network AND I have to take down my firewall in order to download the playlists. It only does it sometimes, but if you're having issues I would give that a go. Also, you can't add your personal music to your Liked Songs playlist so if you use that as your defacto playlist it won't work. Also also, you can't cast your personal music from your google devices (Home/Mini/Chromecast) through the Spotify app (but it does work with bluetooth, or casting your phone screen to a device).

So it works, but it's not great. Still, I prefer Spotify to YTM.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the detailed response--it really sounds like a pain in the rear end. :/ It's probably not much better than streaming/copying MP3s from an external drive like I've been doing, with backups in cloud storage for safekeeping (not streaming).

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's a new (?) app that works with Plex which can do a lot of what we seem to expect, I think it's time I start trying it out. I've really been slacking on downloading music for the last few years though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Depends on how much you wanna mess with it.

There’s some apps that let you stream from Google Drive.

I use MediaMonkey and have a “sync” playlist set up on my desktop that’s a one button sync with my phone.

Plex let you stream from your home network.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 6, 2021

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I went the Plex route a while back and it's pretty great for having all of my music available whenever. Now I need to go ahead and make the jump to dedicated server vs. using my laptop

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I should set it up myself for streaming (I'm okay using MM for local playback), but there's some stuff in my library that always breaks when I move it to a new service, so I'm a little gun shy.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Plex doesn't need write access to your media, if that's what you're worried about.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Plex doesn't need write access to your media, if that's what you're worried about.

That's good to hear, but not necessarily my issue.

I just found an album I've had for years with tracks out of order because some didn't have leading zeroes and others had a disc number associated (there may have been a conflict between the two versions of tags) and I have no idea why those files got screwy. Every once in a while, I just find something off like that.

I also had a bad experience with Kodi trying to match all my albums to online databases and, um, that's not going to work for me. I have a ton of indie DIY albums, mix albums, alternate takes, and a 475 file "miscellaneous" section of one off things that just completely broke when importing into Kodi.

I just spent two days manually fixing bad matches in my video library when I moved to Plex because of non-standard files not in online databases.

Right now, semi-manually moving files to my phone for when I go for a walk is good enough. I use an SD card in my car and mostly stream podcasts when I leave the house, so I'm not trying to fix what's not broke.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Chaotic Flame posted:

I went the Plex route a while back and it's pretty great for having all of my music available whenever. Now I need to go ahead and make the jump to dedicated server vs. using my laptop

Same here. Plex has been great, but I want to set up a dedicated media server. The PC works fine for now though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just trying Plexamp (yes, they called it that) and it seems like it's gonna be awesome. It has all the features I expect from a modern phone music app, it's pulling metadata (I guess Plex did this months ago), associating artists that are similar, has options to download songs, stream (only on wifi or either way), an EQ, it creates radio stations. Worth a shot I'd say.

Just selected a song, told it to create a mix, then it started showing me other hip hop artists and the list morphed as I added things, then it let me download the resulting mix with a slider for how many hours of it to grab. WOW!

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 6, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That sounds amazing! Now to wait for my HDD to come home from the shop so I have a nice chunk of MP3s to test this on. :tipshat:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
To update, I believe you need Plex pass to use plexamp, and I've heard that there are some bad issues with Android auto. Haven't tested that yet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

To update, I believe you need Plex pass to use plexamp, and I've heard that there are some bad issues with Android auto. Haven't tested that yet.

Oh, that reminded me of the last straw I had with YTM: you can't use it on AA without paying for a subscription, even to play files from your personal library that are downloaded to your device.

I don't even have AA in my car, I only use it once in a while in my mom's car, but it was enough to piss me off.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't have Android Auto, so that's not a problem; the Plex Pass might be worth it if the app really is that great. Though I don't think I'd use Plex for anything beyond music streaming, so maybe not?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's kind of confusing. Plex is mostly free, except the phone app (Plex) is a dollar. This app let's you do video and audio streaming. However, you need a Plex Pass, which is a monthly subscription or one time payment to use plexamp, which has the cool modern features listed above. Double check my recollection before doing anything :).

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

i am the luckiest shitheap in fyad.
The moto g power for existing customers worked for me. $50 and a welcome upgrade from my Nexus 6p

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Goddamn bro, how you keep that thing running in 2021?

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

GEMorris posted:

Goddamn bro, how you keep that thing running in 2021?

Had to replace the battery once. It was starting to die again. Cost wise $50 moto wasn't much more than buying another battery off Amazon. Curiously, the Nexus runs just as well as I day I bought it but the OS and Bluetooth stack are old

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife and I are existing Fi subscribers and I want to surprise her with a new phone for her birthday (Pixel 4a).

We don't appear to be on a family plan. When I go to my account, the plan says "Flexible Plan: One Person".

I'm struggling with logistics. Her birthday is May 28 so I need to order it soon. Will anything during the purchase trigger a notification that would be sent to her number?

I want to trade her phone in for credit but I don't know how that would work, either.

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

When I upgraded mine, I just got an email not a phone message

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So apparently there's some weird outage with some Simply Unlimited plan members. My wife's phone is randomly getting disconnected from data, while mine isn't. It sucks because she was in the middle of doing deliveries today and now she can't while we try to fix this poo poo.

e: Fi Support confirmed that it's affecting multiple Simply Unlimited users. At least it's not just us that got cursed. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 17, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
e wrong thread

Smythe fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 19, 2021

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

So apparently there's some weird outage with some Simply Unlimited plan members. My wife's phone is randomly getting disconnected from data, while mine isn't. It sucks because she was in the middle of doing deliveries today and now she can't while we try to fix this poo poo.

e: Fi Support confirmed that it's affecting multiple Simply Unlimited users. At least it's not just us that got cursed. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Quoting myself 'cause updates. Wife's phone (a Pixel 5) has been unable to connect to data since the plan switched to Simply Unlimited.

Went back and forth with Fi support. They claimed to fix the issue but still nothing worked. They then suggested it could be an issue with the eSIM, so I cleared all the network settings and reactivated the phone using just the physical SIM. Interestingly, the physical SIM tries to put the phone on LTE/5G and data still fails. So I tried the opposite - I removed the physical SIM, re-downloaded the eSIM, and re-activated. That works, but the phone won't go to a higher band than HDSA+.

I mean, at least it's staying connected and the speed is acceptable for work. I'm also going to order a new SIM anyway since it's free.

e: I also had the bright idea to see if my wife's old Pixel 3 XL SIM card would work... but then I opened it and remembered it only had an eSim. Oof.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 19, 2021

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Final update - got fed up with waiting for Fi Support to offer any real solutions so we dropped them and switched to T-Mobile. Absolutely unacceptable treatment of this issue. We really didn't want to switch but the only option left was to switch back to the old plan and they seriously can't force it early. We're not waiting a whole billing cycle to have working phones. Sorry Google, you guys were pretty great until you dropped the ball hard.

I strongly recommend not switching to the Unlimited plans.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Honestly doesn't surprise me, I'm my experience Fi works great when it does and if it doesn't and isn't a super easy fix you boned.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

YTM hosed up again before my drive, and yeah this is the final straw. Gonna uninstall it and switch to Spotify soon, this bullshit infuriates me.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ended up getting a Pixel 4a. Good phone, liking the slightly smaller size and decreased weight over the old moto 4x.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can I make phonecalls from my browser anymore with Hangouts gone from Gmail?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Have you tried from voice.google.com?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

Have you tried from voice.google.com?

It keeps asking me to sign up.

Just noticed there's a skip button. That seems to work.