Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

rye is the competition for sure :golgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bullfrog posted:

what kind of bread goes best with dines?

Crackers. I'm partial to triscuits or some fancy pants poo poo I find in the cupboard.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Triscuits are my go to but thin sliced toasted baguette rounds too

Had boneless skinless Seasons in olive oil the other day and the best I can say is they’re fine but mushy

Maybe better as an ingredient rather than on a cracker

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

crackers is different than bread drat it

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I did some ko mediterranean on fried baguette rounds with a little pesto and it was good to eat

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Rye bread and if crackers are a separate category (they are) black pepper triscuits.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Saucer Hovers posted:

crackers is different than bread drat it

Then my favorite is baguette, toasted in the oven. An occasional treat is rugbrod or vollkornbrot, but these tend to go better with pickled herring.

naem
May 29, 2011

ko in tomato sauce are really good, I had some over leftover spanish rice (which is just rice with tomato sauce and onions) and the sauce from the tin was just enough to re-moisten the rice to full tomato-ness

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I keep trying to like sardines but I just can't. My dad recently told me that he likes sardines which I never knew and he said he gets them in olive oil, which I always got them in water. So I picked up a 6 pack in olive oil from Costco 2 weeks ago and am going to try those out. Maybe the oil will take away some of the fishy taste.

Also, I really need to cook with them. I've only ever had them on toast with avocado. I think that's just a little to "pure." I'm going to find an easy recipe. I'm determined to eat them because they're so healthy and very dadly.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Black bread and sprats / dines with a boiled egg and dill for extra Slav points

Black bread takes like four loving days to make though

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

A CRAB IRL posted:

Black bread and sprats / dines with a boiled egg and dill for extra Slav points

Black bread takes like four loving days to make though

omg youre killing me over here

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://www.asianinamericamag.com/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

Made with boneless skinless which I know is basically a crime but it's what I had and in soup the little vertebrae can just end up at the bottom of the bowl and aren't great.

Added like a teaspoon of cayenne paprika and some tomato paste cause I only had a tiny tomato

Served over ramen noodles (boil, drain, throw away salt packet) cause I didn't wanna make rice

Homemade chicken bone broth

Good as hell

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I keep trying to like sardines but I just can't. My dad recently told me that he likes sardines which I never knew and he said he gets them in olive oil, which I always got them in water. So I picked up a 6 pack in olive oil from Costco 2 weeks ago and am going to try those out. Maybe the oil will take away some of the fishy taste.

Also, I really need to cook with them. I've only ever had them on toast with avocado. I think that's just a little to "pure." I'm going to find an easy recipe. I'm determined to eat them because they're so healthy and very dadly.
I don't know if its self fulfilling or just something about it makes it come out fishier but spring water dines are super strong. I'd say they are cookin dines but I just avoid completely.

Mustard or tomato sauce packed also tend to be stronger fishies but its ok cause it blends together with the mustard or tomato sauce in a way a lot of people like.

Olive oil dines are good eating cooked or on crackers and breads.

Somebody get the 500 degree fishermans eggs for this guy.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I only eat the olive oil sardines, the water ones are gross

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

https://www.asianinamericamag.com/sardines-spinach-and-tomatoes-soup-sabo-tacsyapu-na/

Made with boneless skinless which I know is basically a crime but it's what I had and in soup the little vertebrae can just end up at the bottom of the bowl and aren't great.

Added like a teaspoon of cayenne paprika and some tomato paste cause I only had a tiny tomato

Served over ramen noodles (boil, drain, throw away salt packet) cause I didn't wanna make rice

Homemade chicken bone broth

Good as hell

that looks really good. kicking myself that i didnt get spinach at the store today.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the stale sesame candied anchovies I picked up have inspired me. I will have a peanut butter anchovy sandwich in the near future

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Is this seriously a 210 page thread on sardines

God I love SA so much for weird poo poo like this

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I mean, have you had sardines?

1000 pages won't be enough to honor the little fishies

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

low key sex master posted:

Is this seriously a 210 page thread on sardines

God I love SA so much for weird poo poo like this

the first thread is goldmined. I forget how many pages it has

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I have never had sardines but I know my grandfather loved them in like mustard sauce

He had them in little tin cans in the cupboard :unsmith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last week I was gifted some King Oscar mackerel fillets in a can with olive oil and lemon. They are pretty good, but not as good as the mediterranean style ones. A lot more lemony than I would have guessed.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I have never had sardines but I know my grandfather loved them in like mustard sauce

Gitchoo some. Enjoy at 1:40 AM over the sink.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mustard sauce dines are solid and you should eat some. What better way to enjoy them than to think fondly of a family member?

KO Kippered Snacks always bring me back to being a kid with my dad. It's a good memory.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the chove and peanut butter sandwich actually wasn't that bad. the problem with it is that there's nothing to balance out the salt, like the salty fishiness tastes good with peanut butter, that's like half of thai food, but it's just too salty in this form. I put some shredded carrot on it and that helped. I'll eventually try again with grated carrots and sliced cucumbers, I may try soaking the choves in coconut milk

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

The Voice of Labor posted:

the chove and peanut butter sandwich actually wasn't that bad. the problem with it is that there's nothing to balance out the salt, like the salty fishiness tastes good with peanut butter, that's like half of thai food, but it's just too salty in this form. I put some shredded carrot on it and that helped. I'll eventually try again with grated carrots and sliced cucumbers, I may try soaking the choves in coconut milk

you're an artist

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What bread did you use? I'm betting a nice baguette would help a bit.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

My grandpa like kipper snacks. They're definitely my preferred canned fish. Love the natural smoke. Fake grandad made his own pickled fish.

Bought some at the Dollar Tree recently. Ocean Prince brand. A knockoff of Crown Prince brand, which is a knockoff of King Oscar.

Every time I buy a can I check the can the country first. For some drat reason I didn't this one time and it's loving Chinese.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

I recommend Brunswick brand Gourmet Sardines in Mustard and Dill Sauce

or go pro from the start and get some King Oscar Sardines in olive oil, bones and all, prepare 1 tablespoon of Coleman's Mustard Powder, mix and mash with the 'dines, and eat.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cilantro?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

isaboo posted:

I recommend Brunswick brand Gourmet Sardines in Mustard and Dill Sauce

or go pro from the start and get some King Oscar Sardines in olive oil, bones and all, prepare 1 tablespoon of Coleman's Mustard Powder, mix and mash with the 'dines, and eat.

Always always always start off with KO in olive oil sardines. Trying a lovely sardine, usually water packed, can easily turn somebody off sardines permanently.

Water packed fish suuuuuuuuuuucks.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

MisterOblivious posted:

Always always always start off with KO in olive oil sardines. Trying a lovely sardine, usually water packed, can easily turn somebody off sardines permanently.

Water packed fish suuuuuuuuuuucks.

yeah this is true

the best overall intro 'dine is KO skinless and boneless in olive oil. Do that for a while then EAT THE drat BONES

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Apparently my 11 year old nephew really likes sardines.

I'm so proud of him.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

Apparently my 11 year old nephew really likes sardines.

I'm so proud of him.

Get him some kippers and pickled herring, stat.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

For 'dine newbies who want an easy way into canned fish: if you have a store nearby that caters to Eastern European folks, go and see if they have smoked Baltic sprats in oil or tomato sauce. You'll be hooked instantly.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

What bread did you use? I'm betting a nice baguette would help a bit.

sourdough. yeah, a sweet french baguette would've been nice

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

A little acid like lime juice or some kind of pickle maybe?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yay I won another KO facebook contest. Maybe I'll get another apron.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

You mad mad dad. God bless you for this.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Myron Baloney posted:

A little acid like lime juice or some kind of pickle maybe?

I usually soak my choves in red wine vinegar, but I didn't do any acidic stuff on this because I don't think it will really go with the peanut butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Yay I won another KO facebook contest. Maybe I'll get another apron.

Damnit I missed one, I usually win at least free coupons. Also I want to see their new white wine caper 'dines in my stores.