Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

God, it's like you people forget that we're posting on the internet and that we're all goons in here. Several pages of earnestly responding to Clam and you still haven't learned your lesson.

OP refused to explain what was wrong with the resume because it would have taken too long to explain so her feeble brain could understand.

My (30F) husband (31M) doesn’t care that I’m going to lose the job/business I love, even though he could prevent it.

quote:

I’ve been with my husband for 9 years, married for 5.

He’s always made it clear that he wanted me to be a SAHM but he also said he didn’t want to try for kids until we had been married for a few years. When we first got married though, I was working an awful job with a manager who enjoyed making my life hell. My husband suggested I quit so I wasn’t so stressed out all of the time. At first, being able to stay at home was great. I got to pursue a lot of the hobbies I never had time for before but after a few months, I was incredibly bored.

I told my husband I wanted to get a new job, but he discouraged me and instead suggested we try for a baby. I got pregnant pretty quickly, but I ended up miscarrying. After that, I wanted to stop trying because the emotional toll of miscarrying was worse than I ever expected it would be. My husband was extremely supportive, and we worked through it together.

Three years ago, my friend opened up her own small business. Originally, she asked me if I wanted to open it as co-owners as it was something we had previously talked about, but my husband thought it was a bad idea, so I said no. The business grew a lot in the first 6 months, so I started helping out as she couldn’t cope with the demand and wasn’t at a point where she could hire enough people to help. This happened around the time that I was still depressed after the miscarriage but being out of the house, spending time with my friend and having a purpose was wonderful for my mental health. I started feeling like me again so when my friend offered me a job, I accepted.

I loved this job and I loved watching the business grow. Unfortunately, the pandemic has not been good for us. That, and my friend has taken a few risky decisions which she shouldn’t have, and the business probably won’t survive another year if she can’t find an investor or a loan.

My friend asked me again if I wanted to be a co-owner and if my husband would be interested in being an investor. Personally, I have hope that we can turn the business around, we just need a small boost. My friend and I went through a lot of trouble creating documents to show why investing would be a good idea and what our business plans are, which was personally aimed at my husband to try to convince him. I even gave him a mini-presentation, to which he replied “no”. I tried to argue that he hadn’t even looked at the documents yet, but he said he didn’t need to look at them because the answer was still no.

It has never been a secret that my husband thought this business would fail and that he thought I was wasting my time. He never told me to quit or that I couldn’t work there, but it always felt like he was just waiting for things to fall apart. So, I was incredibly upset when he said no without even reading the documents or taking some time to consider it. We don’t usually fight, I can count on one hand the number of arguments we’ve had, and they were all relatively minor, but we had a real fight after this. I’m not proud of it, but I accused him of being selfish and only caring about his own happiness, among other things. He didn’t really say much, he just waited for me to calm down and then said “If that was supposed to help your case, it didn’t. The answer is still no”.

Now things are just tense and awkward between the two of us. We haven’t really spoken since and I hate it. I’m still angry and hurt by him but I hate how things are between us more. I don’t know what to do.

How do I fix this? And is there any way I can convince him to at least look at the documents and consider it before saying no for the final time?

TL;DR – I work for my friends business. I love this job and watching the business grow. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic and some bad decisions things aren’t going so well right now. The business needs an investor and my friend offered to make me a co-owner (she originally asked me when she began the business, but I said no) if I could get my husband to invest. We created personalized documents to show him why investing was a good idea, and I gave him a presentation too. To which he replied “no” without even reading the documents.

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I wonder why he didn't answer her when she asked him what was wrong with her resume? "Snapping" or not, I mean, I'd want someone to just tell me, instead of making a whole to-do about it.

My guess is that he wants to provide a complete "product", so to speak, as it would be "his" version of it without his wife being allowed to argue why she wrote it the way she did.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Dazerbeams posted:

My (30F) husband (31M) doesn’t care that I’m going to lose the job/business I love, even though he could prevent it.

I'm getting MLM vibes.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

or maybe the resume was fine but he wanted to punch it up a bit and telling her all the word changes would be tedious and dumb instead of just showing her

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I'm getting MLM vibes.

So is the comments section

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

yikes! posted:

or maybe the resume was fine but he wanted to punch it up a bit and telling her all the word changes would be tedious and dumb instead of just showing her

That’s what I was thinking :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

please be dog heelies round two please be dog heelies round two

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Why would anyone be interested in investing in a business that is on the brink of failure? Sure there's the pandemic as a built in excuse, but it seems absolutely reasonable to not want to get involved in that mess regardless of what kind of business it is.

Wife also needs to realize that it's not something she can or should try to force on her husband. Not wanting to invest in a friend's failing business is not financial abuse or something.

In addition, if the business model is actually good and could be successful, they should be able to find investors other than family members, and in fact that would be best.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

God, it's like you people forget that we're posting on the internet and that we're all goons in here. Several pages of earnestly responding to Clam and you still haven't learned your lesson.

OP refused to explain what was wrong with the resume because it would have taken too long to explain so her feeble brain could understand.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Dazerbeams posted:

Honestly hard to say.

Could be MLM, like everyone else thinks, and if so then OP is almost certainly leaving out the discussion they had where the husband outlined the many reasons not to waste time/money on it.

But given the "you're going to be a SAHM" setup, it could very well be a legit business and he's being an rear end by not even entertaining the thought. If that's the case, then the default should be wanting your spouse to succeed. Not to say that he should agree to invest money, but he should at least give it serious consideration or help to find alternatives. Seems like he wants her to fail.

That said, not sure how much that matters. If the "He’s always made it clear that he wanted me to be a SAHM" part is true, then the rest doesn't really matter because he's automatically the rear end in a top hat. MLM makes her an rear end in a top hat too, but doesn't really absolve the husband.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 5, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

If she really tried to prepare all those documents and give a presentation, his only response should be "okay, so did you apply for a small business loan/line of credit?"

Also, she really buries this lede

quote:

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic and some bad decisions things aren’t going so well right now

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

That’s what I was thinking :shrug:

Yeah, it makes me think is a teacher marking or workplace peer review in the in US something generally done in person? Because even when my boss, workmate or best friend asks me to go over something, I ain’t going to sit down there and then and do it in front of them. If I offered and they said yes but only if I do it live then I would just take the offer back unless it is a two minute effort.
I do wonder though if she is way more educated/professional then him and does not want to deal with his amateur hour skills except you would think that she would suggest “sure, have a crack and email your draft to me” instead of wanting a blow by blow.
Reminds me of a resume review at work, one of our supervisors asked his boss for help with his resume so his boss completely redid it to a much better standard but implored the Supervisor to review the details to make sure it was accurate before sending . Supervisor was wrapped with it and sent it out as is to a heap of opportunities.
On abilities it listed amongst other skills verbatim “Can suck a mean cock on demand”.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pentyne posted:

If she really tried to prepare all those documents and give a presentation, his only response should be "okay, so did you apply for a small business loan/line of credit?"

Also, she really buries this lede

in the comments she reveals that husband's father was already pitched to for investing - but not by her, by the friend on their own... for some reason

quote:

She pitched it to him before we asked my husband. She asked me if I knew anyone who could be a potential investor and I gave her his contact details and she arranged everything from there. He had already expressed interest before I asked my husband but then during our fight, I mentioned that she had asked his dad and he went and told him to say no.

My FIL is an investor. She pitched to him like she would any other investor and he liked the idea. Nobody was trying to take advantage of him.

if it's not a MLM it's gotta stink bad enough for none of the local banks to touch it

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 5, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Yeah, it makes me think is a teacher marking or workplace peer review in the in US something generally done in person? Because even when my boss, workmate or best friend asks me to go over something, I ain’t going to sit down there and then and do it in front of them. If I offered and they said yes but only if I do it live then I would just take the offer back unless it is a two minute effort.
I do wonder though if she is way more educated/professional then him and does not want to deal with his amateur hour skills except you would think that she would suggest “sure, have a crack and email your draft to me” instead of wanting a blow by blow.
Reminds me of a resume review at work, one of our supervisors asked his boss for help with his resume so his boss completely redid it to a much better standard but implored the Supervisor to review the details to make sure it was accurate before sending . Supervisor was wrapped with it and sent it out as is to a heap of opportunities.
On abilities it listed amongst other skills verbatim “Can suck a mean cock on demand”.

Was it this thread where someone edited their sibling's resume to have "garlic bread" under the hobbies and interests section?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

Was it this thread where someone edited their sibling's resume to have "garlic bread" under the hobbies and interests section?

I [18 F] left my laptop open and my sister [15 F] replaced everything in my "Hobbies & Passions" section on my resumé with just "garlic bread" as a joke. I unknowingly sent it out to about 20-30 businesses and now I have no idea what to do about it.

quote:

Yes reddit, I know how hilarious this sounds and I promise you this is not a joke as I am genuinely freaking out right now. I am soon finishing up secondary school (high school) and I'm looking for my very first job for the summer, so when I was filling out my resumé I didn't have a lot of experience to mention so I decided to do a hobbies and passions section, taking advice from others.

I (stupidly) left my laptop out on the kitchen table today while I went to the shop to get some tea, and my gobshite of a sister thought it would be the joke of the century to delete my hobbies & passions section and replace everything with a single bullet point saying "garlic bread".

Now, I had closed the Word Document, saving it, before leaving. She opened it, changed it without telling me, and saved it and closed it before I came back. She knows bloody well that I'm looking for jobs at the moment and she knew I'd spent the afternoon working on my resumé.

I came home with the tea anyway and since I was happy with my resumé (I didn't bother to recheck it, I had no idea someone would change it to "garlic bread" while I was gone) I sent it to multiple job applications from an online hiring site, which had places hiring in my town. I'd say I sent this garlic bread resume to about twenty to thirty institutions in total.

It was only after I sent them that I decided to re-check my resumé, when I noticed the horrific alteration. I am absolutely mortified. I immediately confronted my sister about it, getting a strong sixth sense that she was the most likely culprit, and she thought it was loving hilarious. She literally laughed until she cried while I was standing there nearly crying from stress and mortification.

My sister has always been a joker and she gets away with bloody murder, but this was so serious. I am sick of her pulling off this shite to everyone around her, thinking it's funny or cool or something. It was only when I explained to her the full seriousness of the situation, and that I had sent it to 20/30 places, that she copped on and apologized. Not sure if she was being genuine but the words "I'm sorry" definitely left her mouth.

Then she had the audacity to blame me for it, asking me why I hadn't checked it before sending it off. I screamed at her that I had checked it multiple times before leaving to get tea, and didn't expect anyone else to change it while I was gone. She then back-pedaled and insisted that she meant it as a joke, like "just a prank brah" mentality but I'm having none of it.

I don't know what the hell to do now and rectify the situation. I have never job hunted before, I don't know how serious this stupid mistake is. I live in a large enough Irish town but small enough for businesses to spread gossip, so I'm terrified that they'll all now know not to hire the "garlic bread" girl. Should I email the places I applied to explaining the situation, or will I sound like a complete knob?

Technically, it IS true that garlic bread is a passion of mine simply because it's delicious, but obviously it is not resumé-worthy. The businesses probably think I'm taking the piss and it's extremely unprofessional. I'm so annoyed that this is my first impression in the working world, I'm not even hired and I've hosed up already. Should I resend them my application with my resumé fixed? Should I move on and forget about the places I applied and apply to new businesses with a rectified resumé? Should I just loving move town at this point since I've clearly made a fool of myself already? Also, how do I talk to my parents or sister about her stupid spoilt bratty behavior?

TL;DR: My little sister changed my hobbies and passions section on my resumé to "garlic bread" as a joke and I sent it out to about 20/30 business in my town unknowingly. I have no idea how to fix this.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I bet that guy got a lot of call backs on that resume.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lou Takki posted:

I bet that guy got a lot of call backs on that resume.

"All right, Jim, let's discuss the amount of pay you're willing to gay for"

I think it's common in the US, all of my work reviews have involved me sitting in a room while people across the room from me tell me what they think about me while going over my work, in person.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hughlander posted:

I [18 F] left my laptop open and my sister [15 F] replaced everything in my "Hobbies & Passions" section on my resumé with just "garlic bread" as a joke. I unknowingly sent it out to about 20-30 businesses and now I have no idea what to do about it.

I cannot help but think of this one when I make garlic bread and I laugh out loud every single time.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Today's lesson in: "How to make everyone at work hate you."

AITA for not getting our new team member 2 bowls from Chipotle despite them writing (2x on their order?)

quote:

I manage a team of 6 people, we are now coming back to the office one day a week. I decided to get lunch for the team to show that I am appreciative of everyone coming back to the office, eventually I can use the company card but for now I used my own cash.

Well I ask everyone to write on this sheet of paper what their order for Chipotle is, and I was going to pick it up. Well, one of my team members call her Cathy, puts her order down and then puts 2x.

I was like this is odd but when I went to Chipotle I just got one bowl for her, as I did for all my other coworkers. I didn't want people to think I was being unfair or anything.

Well when I come back I give everyone their bowls / burritos and Cathy flips out. She says why I didn't get her two bowls, I said I wasn't sure. She then starts raising her voice, I tell her we can speak in my office but then she goes onto rant saying that I am giving her an eating disorder, that she isn't going to starve herself. I stepped away to my desk and called HR. She went to their office and then someone had a phonecall with me.

Besides what happens with HR, on a personal level was I wrong here? I didn't want to be unfair to my other teammembers that I get one person twice the food.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kuros posted:

AITA for not getting our new team member 2 bowls from Chipotle despite them writing (2x on their order?)

I wouldn’t assume x2 meant two god drat bowls for lunch.

I eat a lot and I’m not sure I could plow through 2 drat bowls.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Small business wife is working for Zoltar the Ketchup King.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh boy, TWO bowls of bacteria and feces!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I wouldn’t assume x2 meant two god drat bowls for lunch.

I eat a lot and I’m not sure I could plow through 2 drat bowls.

I would eat the two bowls and then eat all the half noodle bricks that guy a page ago threw out.

Goddamn am I hungry!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Cathy can pony up for the second bowl, the boss is being nice enough to pay out of pocket for everyone's meal equally.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I cannot help but think of this one when I make garlic bread and I laugh out loud every single time.

Yeah that sister is a genius. The kicker is she really fuckin loves garlic bread.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Honestly, if I read that on a resume it would make me laugh and probably be more interested in an interview

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

sebmojo posted:

Honestly, if I read that on a resume it would make me laugh and probably be more interested in an interview

Especially from an 18yo. Nobody gives a too much of a gently caress about an 18 year old's resume, especially the hobby section.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kuros posted:

Well when I come back I give everyone their bowls / burritos and Cathy flips out. She says why I didn't get her two bowls, I said I wasn't sure. She then starts raising her voice,

AACK!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

looks like someone just earned a new nickname: "two bowls"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Kuros posted:

Ah yes the classic move of getting angry at your manager for [checks notes] not buying you twice the food on their own tab that they bought the rest of your team?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Kenshin posted:

Ah yes the classic move of getting angry at your manager for [checks notes] not buying you twice the food on their own tab that they bought the rest of your team?

yeah but I neeeeed the nutrition!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The only thing that could redeem Chipotle Cathy is if she meant she wanted extra toppings on one bowl, which shouldn't come with extra cost (unless you want 2x protein).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

emptyspace posted:

Tell him that the flashing lights and gates at railroad crossings are also just suggestions. Let nature sort it out.

I appreciate where you're coming from but this is really inconsiderate to the people driving the train

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
only eating one bowl = eating disorder?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Uhg I worked a job that had someone just like that. Every time the boss would get lunch or offer a snack run or something there's an unwritten rule you keep your order within a reasonable average compared to everyone else. He'd clearly hear everyone else order a modest reasonable thing of ~$10 value for lunch and then demand $30-40 worth of stuff. It just meant the treat or lunch runs stopped happening. He'd do the same with co-workers grabbing a coffee. If he was within earshot of someone offering a few other co-workers to grab them like a $2 coffee he'd suddenly be asking for muffins and sandwiches and poo poo. Read the loving room.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Uhg I worked a job that had someone just like that. Every time the boss would get lunch or offer a snack run or something there's an unwritten rule you keep your order within a reasonable average compared to everyone else. He'd clearly hear everyone else order a modest reasonable thing of ~$10 value for lunch and then demand $30-40 worth of stuff. It just meant the treat or lunch runs stopped happening. He'd do the same with co-workers grabbing a coffee. If he was within earshot of someone offering a few other co-workers to grab them like a $2 coffee he'd suddenly be asking for muffins and sandwiches and poo poo. Read the loving room.

This is where public shaming would have come in handy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dazerbeams posted:

This is where public shaming would have come in handy.

Its Canada so we all had zero ability to talk about it because that would be a confrontation. Instead we waited until he moved departments and then suddenly weekly lunches and treats resumed.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Some people are just controlled by their reptile brains. See something, grab it, as much as you can. NOT taking an offer for as much as you can get is a flaw.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cobalt-60 posted:

Some people are just controlled by their reptile brains. See something, grab it, as much as you can. NOT taking an offer for as much as you can get is a flaw.
I'd wager some of these people get a kick out of ruining things for everyone else as well and know exactly what they are doing.

EDIT: though I should remember the rule, don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity and selfishness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Kuros posted:

AITA because I ate more than "my share" of a 6 foot party sub last night?

quote:

What I thought would be a total non issue has ballooned into a huge problem and I'm up at 7:05 AM dealing with it. I figured while I wait for a text, I could post here to see if what I did was really that bad.

I'm a big fat rear end, there's no way around it. I love to eat which probably borders on addiction but I figure since I'm only hurting myself it's probably better to just live my life. I have some great friends although there is no doubt I'm the "harmless, funny token fat guy" of the otherwise pretty good looking group. I guess that sets the stage enough.

Last night my friend hosted UFC and I was invited. He got a 6 foot party sub. I also brought homemade wings that are sort of my specialty. Well of course people flocked to the food and I had basically one serving of the sandwich but people devoured my wings and I didn't get to have a single one. Which is totally fine that's why I brought them but maybe an hour later I was starving. I kept eyeing the sandwich and I'd say there was about 3 feet of it left. I waited an hour, then another half hour and no one had touched it (but they were still munching on chips, pretzels and what not). So I was like screw it...I took about half of what was left and ate it. Then the last half sat for another 10-15 minutes and no one said anything so ate the rest.

Well to be sure as I was swallowing the last bite the host's girlfriend asked where the sandwich was. Like I was the guilty party pretty much everyone pointed at me. I guess they'd noticed me eating the sandwich. She was furious and said that I was an incredible pig and that I had been super selfish to eat 3 feet of a sandwich. I felt so bad I tried to explain to her that I really did wait over an hour and thought people had lost interest. I also tried to explain how everyone had ate my wings and she said something along the lines of "you brought them to share Alan, if someone had eaten over half by themselves that's not loving sharing is it?"

I offered to order pizza or even go get subways and she said that it was a pathetic offer because the party sub had been from a local shop owned by her friends. I said I was sorry but the night was so tense from then on out.