Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ffycchi posted:

Ffycchi's Offical Sit your rear end down in a new chair post

So after reading through quite a few posts here and only seeing "just buy hermann miller" and "all budget chairs are absolutely poo poo" I figured I would use my extensive experience of sitting on my arse in many layers of hell to give my expertise to this thread! Don't worry I've taken out any and all referral links or amazon tracking crap from the URL's. I'm not here to make money.

poo poo Tier:
Do not buy these, your back and/or arse will regret it as you age.

Literally any gaming/racing chair.
Price: $150-600

Seriously, anything that looks like this... Just don't. I don't care that your favourite streamer uses them, he gets paid to sit in them. If I got some endorsement deal tossing me six figures for just sitting in a chair while making more money doing my actual job, I would sit in them too!

I am not going to give it the courtesy of a buy it here link. If you want it, use google.

They are not ergonomic, they will fall apart quickly, the PU material will peel off, they are not good for you as you age.

poo poo tier is actually too nice for these, I wouldn't use them as a toilet. I'm going to ST that.

6mo/1year Tier:
Called because after that, throw it out. Support is gone, dead, deflated, deceased, disabled, et cetera.

Amazon Basics/ any other AMAZERN MESH BACKED "EERGONERMICZ" chair
Price: $99-300

Compared to the poo poo tier chair this is like sitting your arse on a golden throne....fooooor a month or two. After that, you might as well throw it in a bin. Consider this almost any "Mesh ergonomic chair" you see on amazon with a FEW exceptions. Just good luck digging through all the chinesium clones, fake reviews, and fake review websites to find them. I spent mooooonths on them trying to find my "perfect chair" I must have bought and sent back 30-40 of these chairs to amazon after a week of being like "oh wow...This is actually terrible. I would rather sit on a giant dildo."

The Office Depot Chair
Price: $150-300

Do you want to look like a fat cat executive? Get yourself an Office Depot Special! With PU Leather guaranteed not to start cracking and ripping off for at least 3 weeks! Oh and some of them have this air bladder plastic cushion thing under the foam that eventually breaks in some odd way and then fills up with air from the hydraulic release and you end up with one arsecheek higher than the other.....Ask me how I know...No really, I'm not kidding. I guess it would work great if you've been shot in the arse and were an arsecheek amputee or something, but for everyone else....Don't bother.

5 year tier:
No silly name here, tier is its lifespan

Eurotech Seating Ergohuman
Price range: $300-600 depending on scalpers because global pandemic chair shortage( :dafuq: )
https://www.amazon.com/Eurotech-Seating-Ergohuman-ME7ERG-Managers/dp/B01N6QL0UM

First of my recommended chairs. If you aren't paying for it. If your boss says "new chairs for the conference room!!!" but is too cheap to get the Hermann Miller/Steelcase(hereafter known as HM/SC) chairs Get these. They could probably last 10 years in a small business conference room where they aren't used terribly much, Otherwise they are overpriced for what you get. Good chair...Yeah. But at this price point id get a better used chair or something else from farther down below.

The problem with these mesh chairs is they are basically unrepairable once the mesh starts to sag, which generally starts at around 2 years, and becomes absolutely impossible to use without wanting to stab yourself in the back after 5. But hey, its for the conference room, not you. And hey, they look professional for the price so that will assuage the boss' need to stroke his ego.

Staples Hyken Task Chair
Price: $120-230(sales depending)
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

Disclaimer: I have not used this chair, it has been added due to enough comments on comfort and reliability to be tiered. Please ask others for review.

10 year tier:
See previous answer

Alera Elusion Series(comes in mid back and high back, It comes in black and white as well.)
Price: $150-300
https://www.amazon.com/Alera-ALEEL42ME10B-Elusion-Mid-Back-Multifunction/dp/B003G4OJK4/
Do not get the series II, I repeat DO NOT GET THE SERIES II, it basically takes away all the ergonomic adjustment that makes this good.

If you're on a budget stop looking. As I've stated in many previous posts, no you won't get "SUPREME SPACE AGE MATERIALS" or a great warranty...It's a chair. Dare I say a good chair. Get a pair of 20$ memory foam armrest covers(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8F9IYC/ if you're too lazy to do the research yourself.) And its a chair that will last you a good amount of time in a good amount of comfort.

One of the big benefits of this chair is its adjustment, My 5'1" 100 pound wife can fit on it. My 6'1" 200 Pound arse can sit on it. My 6'7" 300 pound friend can sit on it(though not recommended? if youre that size id really recommend getting a HM/SC...or a gym membership....You're hitting the edge of what you can do with physics chairs at this point mate.)

IKEA Markus Office Chair
Price: $199.00
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-gray-90289172/

If it fits you it's a great chair. It doesn't have much in terms of adjustment. I would highly recommend going to your local IKEA and just sitting in one and getting a feel for it. I've heard many complaints about the armrests as well. This one comes down to personal taste/fitting which I really can't advise you on.

30 Year Tier
Wait...HOW MUCH??!!

Now we get into the big boy tier. This is where Pricing, support(warranty not physical), and material quality go up exponentially. If you can find a local office reseller and can find them there, I would highly recommend doing that because you can get them for up to a quarter of the original sticker price.

I am actually NOT going to write review's for each of these individually past this point, all of them are great chairs with lots of OHGODMYWALLET options and can last you up to 30 years with a 12 year+ warranty. Some people have even said their's have lasted longer than 30 but I'm not going down that rabbit hole of differences in construction, materials, etc of different decades...Lets just leave it at "solid option"

Hermann Miller Mirra 2
Price: $795-1500(options)
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/mirra-2-task-chair/1453.html

HM Mirra Disclaimer: This chair is the IKEA Markus of the big boys. If it fits, you'll love it. if not, you will likely hate it. I have heard about a 50/50 ratio. It doesn't fit me and some other larger people I know, but it does fit others, so I highly recommend testing before buying this specific chair.

Steelcase Leap Office Chair
Price: $899-2000(options)
https://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/leap

Hermann Miller Aeron
Price: $1395-2500(options)
https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/aeron-chairs/

Hermann Miller Embody
Price: $1635-3000
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/embody-task-chair/4737.html

gently caress you money tier:

Do you want to be part of the elite club of gamers??!!
Do you want to show off your cock buying power to everyone who walks in your house??!!
Do you want to show how invested in crypto you are and how you can make your guest's money too??!!
Boy have I got the chair for you!

Hermann Miller x Logitech G Embody Gaming Chair
Price: $1595
https://store.hermanmiller.com/gaming/herman-miller-x-logitech-g-embody-gaming-chair/2517590.html

It's literally just an embody with Logitech branding, gamer aesthetic, and like $40 cheaper because at this price do you really want to have that edgy of a chair?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

nice effort post, but where's the big & tall chairs?

haha poo poo didn't think this would be a page snipe, reposting the proper quote

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I bought the gaming chair towards the start of the pandemic and it is pretty horrible to be honest but still way better than the blown out office chair that I had been using for the past 10 years.

I honestly do not think they're that bad for what I paid which was like $80 on Amazon.

I still would not recommend and if you have one I would strongly recommend removing the armrests.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I stupidly bought a Secretlab Omega chair after being suckered by reviews that are in hindsight just advertisements and it's like sitting on concrete. I'm sending it back. I've had a Markus for about 6 years and it's fine, but the padding has worn down on the seat. Does anyone have a recommendation for just a seat cushion I can throw on top of it to make it more comfortable?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

prom candy posted:

I stupidly bought a Secretlab Omega chair after being suckered by reviews that are in hindsight just advertisements and it's like sitting on concrete. I'm sending it back. I've had a Markus for about 6 years and it's fine, but the padding has worn down on the seat. Does anyone have a recommendation for just a seat cushion I can throw on top of it to make it more comfortable?

Purple double cushion

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

CaptainPsyko posted:

Purple double cushion

These don't seem to be available in Canada :(

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

prom candy posted:

Bed Bath and Beyond has some of the Purple cushions, if maybe not that make. Lotsa coupons too!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

prom candy posted:

Idk about retail availability up there; I bought mine in the US from BB&B as noted; but they will ship directly to the frozen north. https://purple.com/ca/en/purple-double-seat-cushion/product/PURSCDB

Edit: Canada link.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 1, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh awesome, thank you! These are really worth $150 CAD?

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Tailbone specifically, though I was getting thigh tension for a while. My desk at work is lowered 2" from standard height, while my home desk is standard height (it's one of those IKEA modular desks, on the metal legs with a drawer cabinet).

Inland(Microcenter brand) has a super cheap standing desk (I don't stand with it just adjust it perfectly to sitting)

You can also use that and go to IKEA and get a nice top and drill it in

The base is SOLID on the Microcenter standing desk so I don't plan on changing it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ended up having to put in a return on the Leap. Back to the drawing board (... if I can even get this thing reboxed and shipped, it was a struggle even getting it inside my home with joint issues, let alone getting it out to a post office) with no real leads.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Ended up having to put in a return on the Leap. Back to the drawing board (... if I can even get this thing reboxed and shipped, it was a struggle even getting it inside my home with joint issues, let alone getting it out to a post office) with no real leads.

Oof. What was it that did the Leap in for you? (No judgement, I wasn't a fan of the one I had in my office either)

Edit: You have an avatar now!? Truly, Dark Mode wonders never cease~

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Oof. What was it that did the Leap in for you? (No judgement, I wasn't a fan of the one I had in my office either)

Edit: You have an avatar now!? Truly, Dark Mode wonders never cease~

I do, yep.
Tailbone was the killer. The Millberget I had before was and is worse about it (I have to go back to it for the time being, which I'm not looking forward to...), but it didn't do away whatsoever with the Leap. Tried just about every adjustment, plus various heights of (or absence entirely of) footrest to see if it was a leg angle issue, with nothing changing except "no footrest" also straining my upper thighs. At 5'10" still had to have the Leap at its absolute maximum height on oversized casters just to get my arms in remotely the right position. Other than that it was fine, arms were quite nice and I was getting used to the back, but the whole point of replacement was to remove the tailbone pain issue so I stopped having to go lay down for an hour or two after an hour or two at my desk.

So, otherwise good chair let down by the seat, and now it's flailing in the dark time again.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

I do, yep.
Tailbone was the killer. The Millberget I had before was and is worse about it (I have to go back to it for the time being, which I'm not looking forward to...), but it didn't do away whatsoever with the Leap. Tried just about every adjustment, plus various heights of (or absence entirely of) footrest to see if it was a leg angle issue, with nothing changing except "no footrest" also straining my upper thighs. At 5'10" still had to have the Leap at its absolute maximum height on oversized casters just to get my arms in remotely the right position. Other than that it was fine, arms were quite nice and I was getting used to the back, but the whole point of replacement was to remove the tailbone pain issue so I stopped having to go lay down for an hour or two after an hour or two at my desk.

So, otherwise good chair let down by the seat, and now it's flailing in the dark time again.

Hmm, what are your thoughts on all-mesh chairs?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Hmm, what are your thoughts on all-mesh chairs?

I've tried the Quantum 9000 mesh in store and I've brought home a mesh Kroy that needed to promptly be taken back. Neither was anywhere close to a decent fit for more than a few minutes, Kroy was bad. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea but if a good implementation exists out there I haven't encountered it yet.
FWIW, my chair at work is a used Tempur-Pedic TP9000, and I don't have any tailbone pain issues with it. Lower back, arms, shoulders, neck, hands? All those are hosed, hurt like hell. But the tailbone doesn't! Mostly

That's the best I could wrangle here. The rest don't make any of the others go away as a tradeoff either.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've tried the Quantum 9000 mesh in store and I've brought home a mesh Kroy that needed to promptly be taken back. Neither was anywhere close to a decent fit for more than a few minutes, Kroy was bad. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea but if a good implementation exists out there I haven't encountered it yet.
FWIW, my chair at work is a used Tempur-Pedic TP9000, and I don't have any tailbone pain issues with it. Lower back, arms, shoulders, neck, hands? All those are hosed, hurt like hell. But the tailbone doesn't!

That's the best I could wrangle here. The rest don't make any of the others go away as a tradeoff either.

Yeah, I had a Quantum 9000 that lasted me something along the lines of 7 years. It was a struggle the whole time, though.

I replaced it with a Cosm (high back model) and what ultimately sold me on it was the amount of back support (both lower and upper). Because it auto-tilts itself, it's definitely something that you have to be ready to commit to, but it seems to do a PHENOMENAL job of distributing weight all along the thighs through the upper back. Nothing else I tried could even come CLOSE to the back support that thing has.

If I recall correctly, the Cosm is pretty new, but it had a spiritual predecessor in the Setu. What made me want the Cosm in the first place was when we got my wife's Aeron (2016 probably), I sat in a lounge version of the Setu and it was AMAZING. Apparently they made an office chair version of it as well, but I never got to try it out (and only found out it existed after I bought the Cosm).

The Cosm isn't perfect (the seat pan is shallower than I'd like, and it definitely lets me know if I'm slouching sideways) but I've been separated from it for two weeks, and I never thought I would miss a chair this much. I got the version with adjustable armrests because the "leaf" armrests seemed overly gimmicky.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Yeah, I had a Quantum 9000 that lasted me something along the lines of 7 years. It was a struggle the whole time, though.

I replaced it with a Cosm (high back model) and what ultimately sold me on it was the amount of back support (both lower and upper). Because it auto-tilts itself, it's definitely something that you have to be ready to commit to, but it seems to do a PHENOMENAL job of distributing weight all along the thighs through the upper back. Nothing else I tried could even come CLOSE to the back support that thing has.

If I recall correctly, the Cosm is pretty new, but it had a spiritual predecessor in the Setu. What made me want the Cosm in the first place was when we got my wife's Aeron (2016 probably), I sat in a lounge version of the Setu and it was AMAZING. Apparently they made an office chair version of it as well, but I never got to try it out (and only found out it existed after I bought the Cosm).

The Cosm isn't perfect (the seat pan is shallower than I'd like, and it definitely lets me know if I'm slouching sideways) but I've been separated from it for two weeks, and I never thought I would miss a chair this much. I got the version with adjustable armrests because the "leaf" armrests seemed overly gimmicky.

$1400, ho lee poo poo, that's gonna be a "not without test sitting" from me, man. I'll keep it in mind, but ow. How's it height wise? Seems to be a frequent fail point on these chairs, can't go high enough for a standard height desk (like I mentioned, I had to cap out the height on the Leap just to get level, which might have been contributing).
Leaf armrests, seconding the gimmick take looking at it. (e: and they'd probably gently caress with the nerves in my elbows even more than regular armrests do)

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 5, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

SkyeAuroline posted:

I do, yep.

I really recommend trying the elusion out. The seat has been the best part for me.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

$1400, ho lee poo poo, that's gonna be a "not without test sitting" from me, man. I'll keep it in mind, but ow. How's it height wise? Seems to be a frequent fail point on these chairs, can't go high enough for a standard height desk (like I mentioned, I had to cap out the height on the Leap just to get level, which might have been contributing).
Leaf armrests, seconding the gimmick take looking at it. (e: and they'd probably gently caress with the nerves in my elbows even more than regular armrests do)

Yeah, I definitely didn't pay retail price for it. I think it was roughly $910 from the Herman Miller dealer, tax and everything. (I had a buddy help me pick it up with his pickup truck, so no delivery fee). (Yes, I also feel super awkward about spending this much for a chair, don't @ me please I'm the worst) Definitely test-sit, though! Also I have zero idea what the prices on Setu are; were they the same?

In my opinoin? Never pay retail price, HM/Steelcase/etc. are B2B companies and everything that's B2B is in some bizarro fantasy land of its own, I've decided. (Don't get me started on B2B software -_-)

That being said, I'm not entirely sure what a "standard height desk" is anymore (since I've been using adjustable-height desks for a couple years now), but if you have a measurement for your desk I can give you some comparable measurements once my precioussssssssssssss WFH setup is out of storage and reunited with me.

If it helps, I'm 5'11" (my wife insists that I'm 5'10" and the extra inch is purely lies) but I think I'm usually sitting closer to the bottom of the gas piston than the top. Of course, torso length plays a big part here and I feel like I sit towards the bottom of the gas piston with the armrests almost all the way up so that my shoulders aren't having to bear the brunt of my incredibly thicccccc (bcuz i'm fat u see) arms. If you prefer less pressure on your elbows, then ymmv etc. etc.

I still stand (okay, sit) by my 19" ottoman under the desk to take a bunch of the weight off my feet/thighs while supporting my calves/knees, but I've found that with the Cosm I'll put my feet on the floor for extended periods of time and it's pretty comfortable now that I'm not sitting at the top of the seat travel height. (I initially chose a 19" ottoman [I'm 99% this is the right height, again, I can check when I get my stuff back] because that was where I measured my seat pan height at)

TL;DR: I feel like seat pan/footrest/desk/armrest heights are all interconnected and poo poo's complicated and why is sitting so fuckin' hard man, like back in the day we just had to chase deer with sticks and then lay in the grass in the shade, gently caress.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ffycchi posted:

I really recommend trying the elusion out. The seat has been the best part for me.

Yes, yes, we get it, you designed this chair and now that you've made your fortune and the company runs itself you're just helping with the marketing for fun because playing video games all day gets boring after awhile

You've been a huge contributor to this thread and if I ever get my life in order enough to reboot the drat thing with several massive, sprawling OPs with links to YouTube and Goon Testimonials and poo poo like I want to do, I'm going to be asking you to break out your massive effortposts into a "post per chair" sort of item so I can have a "Goon Approved Chairs" section with each chair that's commonly discussed, with links to posts that are either pro or con on each so people can get a feel for what we all like and why, and don't like and why

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I got the elusion thanks to its creator and chief marketing officer's posts and I like it a lot.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

yikes! posted:

I got the elusion thanks to its creator and chief marketing officer's posts and I like it a lot.

poo poo I wish haha. I'm just a poor cancer ridden IT bloke. I'd be living large!

Zarin posted:

Yes, yes, we get it, you designed this chair and now that you've made your fortune and the company runs itself you're just helping with the marketing for fun because playing video games all day gets boring after awhile

You've been a huge contributor to this thread and if I ever get my life in order enough to reboot the drat thing with several massive, sprawling OPs with links to YouTube and Goon Testimonials and poo poo like I want to do, I'm going to be asking you to break out your massive effortposts into a "post per chair" sort of item so I can have a "Goon Approved Chairs" section with each chair that's commonly discussed, with links to posts that are either pro or con on each so people can get a feel for what we all like and why, and don't like and why

Hahahahah cheers mate :)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

yikes! posted:

Now I'm getting FOMO; what if NOT getting the Elusion was the biggest mistake of my life? :ohdear:

. . . why am I trying to come up with some excuse to buy another chair, what is wrong with me lmao

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Zarin posted:

Now I'm getting FOMO; what if NOT getting the Elusion was the biggest mistake of my life? :ohdear:

. . . why am I trying to come up with some excuse to buy another chair, what is wrong with me lmao

I mean to be completely blunt mate, once you find a chair you like, don't change it.

I was mid-pandemic and spent actual months(even while in the hospital getting most of my stomach removed due to cancer) researching chairs. I was just completely bloody sick of shite chairs.

I spent time here, on amazon, on google(and the thousands of review websites that came with that), and I just had a mix of didn't want to pay $1200 for an HM/SC and couldn't find ANY used due to pandemic.

I tried so many different chairs and I kept seeing the elusion pop up. Some people said it was amazing and lasted them 10 years and still going strong(i find this skeptical tbh. It has a mesh back...Under serious use, it is going to be on its LAST LEG at that point), and I saw people saying it was terrible and returned it.

At the end of the day, it was 200$. And off amazon. Meaning I could test it and do ye ol' amazon rental policy. If I didn't like it....gently caress it. Send it back.

I ended up REALLY liking it, and that view hasn't changed since.

I even said in the post NO it's not a SS/HM...Don't expect any sort of warranty or support worth anything to note of. Don't expect some patented magically adjusting backrest. It will never win ANY design awards...It's just a good chair...and for the price it's competing FAR out of its league.

oops: edit:

Freakazoid_ posted:

haha poo poo didn't think this would be a page snipe, reposting the proper quote

Sizes and who they fit are generally listed in the :words: eg: dont buy a markus or a mirra if you're a big boi. The SC/HM's actually have different versions for larger folk.

prom candy posted:

Oh awesome, thank you! These are really worth $150 CAD?

From what I have heard....tentative yes.

I have ****heard**** from people that if you are looking for a seat cushion, look no further.

But I have not personally used one and as such cant really give my stamp of approval on it.

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 7, 2021

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Do you have specific requirements for the desk? It sounds like seating is a real problem for you, so when you find a seat that works for you everything else around it should accomodate. Get a lower desk, saw the desk legs shorter, whatever is necessary. I don't know what you do with you desk. If you are a standard keyboard warrior you could try options like keyboard trays, maybe integrate the keyboard with the chair so it's alway positioned perfectly. Use monitor arms so they can be positioned freely, etc. Below is something I tried.

Oh, you mentioned using Tempur chair at work. Does anyone use Tempur pillow with their chair. I got a new Tempur pillow for my bed and have been using the old one with my chair since, because finding a good chair feels like too much work. I know someone who uses Tempur pillow during long car drives.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 7, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Saukkis posted:

Do you have specific requirements for the desk? It sounds like seating is a real problem for you, so when you find a seat that works for you everything else around it should accomodate. Get a lower desk, saw the desk legs shorter, whatever is necessary. I don't know what you do with you desk. If you are a standard keyboard warrior you could try options like keyboard trays, maybe integrate the keyboard with the chair so it's alway positioned perfectly. Use monitor arms so they can be positioned freely, etc. Below is something I tried.

Oh, you mentioned using Tempur chair at work. Does anyone use Tempur pillow with their chair. I got a new Tempur pillow for my bed and have been using the old one with my chair since, because finding a good chair feels like too much work. I know someone who uses Tempur pillow during long car drives.

Easy enough to take a picture since for once I'm home while posting.

Monitors, etc are all fine, keyboard is fine as long as I'm not typing heavily for extended periods (at work I have a split keyboard, which is probably better overall but I really hate using). Desk itself is standard height, 29", legs are solid steel pipe on one side and a cabinet (plus the pipe) as additional structure. I have a footrest that I'd been heavily using and am trying not using instead to see how much difference it makes with the old chair (it didn't help at all with the Leap). Old chair's just an Ikea Millberget, piece of poo poo but was cheap when I needed cheap. Desk top doesn't take keyboard trays (not solid wood) and they're super uncomfortable to use anyway.
If that helps frame things at all.

Leap V2 was painful to get apart but is at least back in the box. I'll deal with UPS tomorrow or Saturday. Sure hope this thing holds together.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Roughly 1 year Mirra 2 review:

I did eventually get used to it, though my lower back/coccyx (haha cock) does hurt from time to time if I spent time in it all day. It's a pretty good chair, but it does take some adjustment. I absolutely do not sit with my feet flat on the floor like, ever, though. So if the chair expects you/needs you to do that, that certainly isn't happening.

Sure, I'd recommend it. It'll take a while for your butt and lower back to get used to it, though.

---

Also, posting in this thread for a desk recommendation! I've currently got one Dell U2415 and a Macbook on one of these things on my desk, the latter serving as a second monitor for work.

I'm considering getting another U2415, and I'm gonna need a bigger desk. My current desk is 47" wide, and two U2415s would take up about 42" of that. That won't leave enough space for the laptop stand (takes up ~14" inches horizontally). Considering getting a new desk, since my current one is from 2015 and is like a kid's desk from IKEA or something.

Any good places to get a larger desk (at least 64" or so)? Or should I just troll IKEA again?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 9, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like the desks from Uplift but I just ordered one and they are having hyooge supply problems. Laminate and bamboo seem fine though.

Check out their static or standing linear desks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Roughly 1 year Mirra 2 review:

I did eventually get used to it, though my lower back/coccyx (haha cock) does hurt from time to time if I spent time in it all day. It's a pretty good chair, but it does take some adjustment. I absolutely do not sit with my feet flat on the floor like, ever, though. So if the chair expects you/needs you to do that, that certainly isn't happening.

Sure, I'd recommend it. It'll take a while for your butt and lower back to get used to it, though.

I post this, and yet a few days later my tailbone starts hurting again. Yeah, I'd say that this is not a chair you want to spend multiple hours in.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Freakazoid_ posted:

A new thread started by that person so they can edit that stuff in might be good.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Spacedad posted:

A new thread started by that person so they can edit that stuff in might be good.

Yeah I'd be willing to do a new post but worst case we can just link it and I'll continue editing that.

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004
Bought a Steelcase Gesture a month or so ago and just chiming in to give it a +1. I had been using $100-ish office chairs for my whole life and the difference is definitely noticeable. I appreciate that it leans back comfortably and the fully-adjustable arm rests are great too.

5'9 and 165 if that's of any use to people when making decisions.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Had a YOLO moment last week and got an Aeron.

Jesus Christ, it's one of the most comfortable chairs of any kind I've ever set in. Extremely adjustable and feels like it will last forever. Money well spent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Had a YOLO moment last week and got an Aeron.

Jesus Christ, it's one of the most comfortable chairs of any kind I've ever set in. Extremely adjustable and feels like it will last forever. Money well spent.
Specs/retailer/price? I want to get one but $1400 is a big woof.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Specs/retailer/price? I want to get one but $1400 is a big woof.

I hate communicating with people but you may want to try asking a local dealer as when I did that it was much cheaper for my Embody. (Steelcase Gesture is better though)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I hate communicating with people but you may want to try asking a local dealer as when I did that it was much cheaper for my Embody. (Steelcase Gesture is better though)
An authorized dealer and not a Herman Miller store, I assume?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

An authorized dealer and not a Herman Miller store, I assume?

Yeah. I did it 7 years a go but it was decently cheaper so it's worth checking. (better if you want something offered towards small businesses, and you are/are willing to claim you are a small business) Well cheaper then smartfurniture.com I'm not sure Herman Miller had online ordering at the time.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

if anyone's interested. this is the aeron i got for $1288.00 CAD (taxes and shipping included)

AERON2B FAA
+Work Chair New Aeron B Size Std-Hgt Range Adj Tlt Lim and Seat Angle
Hgt Adj Fully Adj Arms Non-Uphst Armpads
ALP:+adjustable posturefit SL
G1:+graphite
C7:+2 1/2 caster black yoke hard floors or carpet
BK:+black
231:+8Z Pellicle-Pr Cat 1
03:+8Z Pellicle graphite

the dealer was contemporary office interiors in vancouver, canada. price might have gone up $50 apparently

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Has anyone ever used an ikea jarvfjallet who can speak about its durability? I sat in one yesterday and liked it much more than the Markus and I assume they're similar in construction, also found a good cl deal so if it's not gonna break on me in a couple years I'll probably get it

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Has anyone ever used an ikea jarvfjallet who can speak about its durability? I sat in one yesterday and liked it much more than the Markus and I assume they're similar in construction, also found a good cl deal so if it's not gonna break on me in a couple years I'll probably get it

It's got the same 10 year warranty as the rest of Ikea's business line, I have no clue if buying used affects the coverage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
New Goonthrone dropped:

https://twitter.com/tim_stevens/status/1395447923463245824?s=21

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/penn-executive-chairs-genuine-leather-executive-chair-pnex1024.html