Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
ill accept that logic if we do the same thing to jujutsu kaisen since 90% of its staff is korean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

and presumably Transformers G1 as a similar percentage of its animators were Japanese.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

and presumably Transformers G1 as a similar percentage of its animators were Japanese.

and scooby doo on zombie island

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, mass international outsourcing to deal with deranged overproduction looks set to be the norm for the anime industry for a long time to come.

https://twitter.com/karoshimyriad/status/1389152254846930945?s=21

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i mean jujutsu kaisen wasnt outsourced to deal with overproduction, it was led by korean staff cause there is a group of really talented animators there that they had ties to

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean jujutsu kaisen wasnt outsourced to deal with overproduction, it was led by korean staff cause there is a group of really talented animators there that they had ties to

Yeah, but the overall pattern within the industry is definitely trending more towards 'we have a dozen shows to make and not enough animators, holy poo poo, grab anyone you can find with 'animator' in their Twitter bio' than 'this is a talented and experienced team, we should give them some exposure'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
yeah absolutely i was just saying idk why you brought it up when the convo wasnt about that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah absolutely i was just saying idk why you brought it up when the convo wasnt about that

It's a big and growing driver of anime not being made by Japanese animators, which in turn makes the definition of 'anime' increasingly wobbly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
huh. I had no idea they greenlit a Tsukimichi anime. I dunno how much of it it will cover or if it will cover manga stuff only and not the LN stuff, but I'm interested.
https://twitter.com/myanimelist/status/1387555520400199680

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

and scooby doo on zombie island

i'm still mad that they retconned poo poo in the sequel

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Donghua shows have MAL pages and I assume the site literally called "my anime list" can be a little picky about how they define anime, and that's where (most of? all?) the seasonal lists come from, so I don't really see a point in trying to get too pedantic about what "counts" as anime when both words just mean animation and the only difference is country of origin. If it doesn't have a MAL page maybe have that argument at that point.

There are a lot of donghua each season and not much info on most of them in English so it makes sense to be selective but something like Heaven Official's Blessing and now Link Click both being licensed by Funi kinda sets them apart from the pack a little. I guess Gokushufudou and Hetalia World★Stars also got the same footnote treatment despite being fairly well-known properties thanks to also being streaming-only and not tv broadcasts which seems to be the primary difference, not what country they were made in.

IMO a donghua that people might actually be interested in and want to find could, at the very least, get the localized title so people can find it like Way of the Househusband got.

It would be nice of Funi was a little more prompt about announcing them, although I wonder if some of that might be tied up with Bilibili's release schedule & how they delay episodes to encourage their paid VIP thing or something, like their audience gets first crack then it gets released internationally later on.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Julias is CIA and trying to limit our access and knowledge of Chinese works.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

good

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

pretty sure the answer is that julias uses anichart which hides streaming-only shows in the OVA section at the bottom of the page

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, it matches anichart format. joran might be the only exception for not being down in ONA but i could've sworn it was in normal tv on anichart before it aired...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Everything Burrito posted:

honestly i don't really understand why a funimation-licensed donghua doesn't deserve a normal entry like everything else

Sorry I'm responding to this late. I saw it last night but was too tired to put my thoughts together.

It honestly probably does. The current OP setup is a holdover from back when Lucy Heartfilia was making them, and in part due to how Anilist and MAL organize their seasonal shows, putting OVAs, ONAs, and Specials into their own separate categories, and they typically throw Donghua shows down there. There have been times where I'll give full length OVA/ONA series full length descriptions, but not consistently. And with Donghua specifically, a lot of times there really isn't any information about the shows besides the name and start date when I'm making these threads. I definitely don't mind going back and giving more detailed entries if they get picked up/there's information readily available. I've also been mulling over whether it makes more sense to just change the main categories from TV (full) and TV (short) to just Full Length Shows and Shorts, while still keeping a separate section for the one off ova/ona/specials.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dogsicle posted:

yeah, it matches anichart format. joran might be the only exception for not being down in ONA but i could've sworn it was in normal tv on anichart before it aired...

whoever tends those sites loves to move tv shows to ONA if a streaming service puts up the episodes early, it's obnoxious

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Willo567 posted:

i'm still mad that they retconned poo poo in the sequel

It was literally sold on "poo poo is real this time" then the nostalgia bait goes "Nah."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So is scooby doo an anime or not

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMzHvJxyiUg

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think Full Dive might be the worst anime I've ever watched.

I can't believe going to sit through another 7 episodes.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

I think Full Dive might be the worst anime I've ever watched.

I can't believe going to sit through another 7 episodes.

I am enjoying it far, far more than I ever thought I would. Like, I usually hate the whole "video game, but real life" thing, but the direction they went with it just works.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm still recovering from how disappointing the flashback was

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It’s a bad show, but I’m finding it kinda fascinating in how it manages to make pretty much everyone an rear end in a top hat. Like, am I supposed to side with Hiro because other people keep treating him like crap, or against him because he’s an idiot who falls for the simplest tricks and who is still moping about being embarrassed at a track meet years ago?

But I’ll keep watching the trainwreck anyway because at the very least it managed to hold my attention, and I am kinda curious as to what Reona’s deal is.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

Sorry I'm responding to this late. I saw it last night but was too tired to put my thoughts together.

It honestly probably does. The current OP setup is a holdover from back when Lucy Heartfilia was making them, and in part due to how Anilist and MAL organize their seasonal shows, putting OVAs, ONAs, and Specials into their own separate categories, and they typically throw Donghua shows down there. There have been times where I'll give full length OVA/ONA series full length descriptions, but not consistently. And with Donghua specifically, a lot of times there really isn't any information about the shows besides the name and start date when I'm making these threads. I definitely don't mind going back and giving more detailed entries if they get picked up/there's information readily available. I've also been mulling over whether it makes more sense to just change the main categories from TV (full) and TV (short) to just Full Length Shows and Shorts, while still keeping a separate section for the one off ova/ona/specials.

Thanks, I don't want to sound like I'm griping about how you're doing the threads in general because I know it's a lot of work to roll one out each season and maintain it. The tv/ona divide might be something to think about restructuring since there are a significant chunk of shows that are streaming-only and the only difference between them and a show that gets to be in the main section is how it was broadcast. Full length shows vs shorts vs OVAs that might have an odd number of episodes seems like a more fair divide. And then maybe if there is just no information about a show at all on MAL/anilist, outsource finding some info to anyone who might be watching it so you don't have to take on that bit of extra work.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Another delightful episode of "Super Cub" today. Man, she beat the hell out of that Cub.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I did like the butt rock as she was climbing the mountain.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 6, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1390368438036537345?s=19

:woop::woop::woop:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Holy gently caress. Six?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its the same thing as girls und panzer where they decided to make six 50-minute movies instead of a TV season 2. same amount of anime, different format.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A Small theater run (even with Covid restrictions) just has the potential to make more money than a TV broadcast due to tickets sales and exclusive merch they can sell.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally we will have a pillow boys successor :cheers:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-05-05/dle-reveals-yoshimaho-yoshi-yoshi-magic-original-anime/.172385

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

SatoshiMiwa posted:

A Small theater run (even with Covid restrictions) just has the potential to make more money than a TV broadcast due to tickets sales and exclusive merch they can sell.

That's true, it can make economic sense, but also means we'll have to wait longer until we can get a localized release in most cases.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kaguya OVA Preview:

https://twitter.com/anime_kaguya/status/1390622449671098374?s=20

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bakuten!! friggin rules.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Komi-San Cannot Communicate is getting an Anime this Fall

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Booo

The uploader has not made this video available in your country

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lets try this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUCgsOluWmA

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Back Arrow is insane and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

The Black Stones posted:

Back Arrow is insane and I love it.

Oh no, the choir...not the choir! I'd say that specific sequence was rather tragicomic in a good way, but the whole ep was exciting for me.

This week in particular had the sort of "second half of a Kazuki Nakashima show" energy that may have been missing earlier. And despite or perhaps precisely because of the chaotic flow of recent events...it's a welcome surprise that they are picking up bits of foreshadowing from all the way back at the start specifically with Arrow himself, the prophecy and the Rakuho he came in.