Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

Deep Rising rules, so does The Mummy Returns, but less so. And Odd Thomas is pretty good, but not in the same giant film wheelhouse.

I think he had some of the better quippy heroes out there.

There's an episode of Friends where the boys meant to watch both Die Hard and Die Harder in the same night and accidently rented two copies of Die Hard, and when they realize they just decide to watch Die Hard a second time. That's kinda how I feel about Mummy vs Mummy Returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy A. Person posted:

That’s fair too, I guess when I think “hate” I think of the more active crusading against a director, rather than just not liking/avoiding someone’s style or work.

You mean like those guys who are convinced the only reason Tony Stark died in Endgame is because the Russos are evil hack directors and not because he'd been done with the role for 5 years?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Skwirl posted:

There's an episode of Friends where the boys meant to watch both Die Hard and Die Harder in the same night and accidently rented two copies of Die Hard, and when they realize they just decide to watch Die Hard a second time. That's kinda how I feel about Mummy vs Mummy Returns.

That feels like an extremely real thing that ends with zero regrets.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

movies are back, baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-31QJXV3iA

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

You mean like those guys who are convinced the only reason Tony Stark died in Endgame is because the Russos are evil hack directors and not because he'd been done with the role for 5 years?

Yeah, exactly! And again: beloved comic book franchise lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You had me at "Verhoeven." This one definitely going on The List

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

They were not. GI Joe 2 was directed by Jon M. Chu.

The snake eyes mountain scene is from 2.

GI Joe 1 which Sommers directed killed his big budget career.

That makes even more sense!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, exactly! And again: beloved comic book franchise lol

The weird thing is that I don't think the MCU's most hardcore fans are particularly big comic book geeks, they just really like the MCU. Like I don't give a care if my favorite marvel characters die or retire in the MCU because I'm viewing it as an adaptation of something that's got 700 back issues and that will probably continue publishing uninterrupted until the sun burns out. But for people who loving love RDJ's Tony Stark and don't give a gently caress about comics, Endgame was the end of Iron Man, permanently. That's why they're so emotional.

Like I don't think anyone who was losing their poo poo about the Bad Captain America not being a proper replacement for Chris Evan's cap have read a single comic in their life because if they had they'd know who that character is or at least be able to recognize a boilerplate "handpicked successor lets power go to his head and goes bad" superhero plot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

The weird thing is that I don't think the MCU's most hardcore fans are particularly big comic book geeks, they just really like the MCU. Like I don't give a care if my favorite marvel characters die or retire in the MCU because I'm viewing it as an adaptation of something that's got 700 back issues and that will probably continue publishing uninterrupted until the sun burns out. But for people who loving love RDJ's Tony Stark and don't give a gently caress about comics, Endgame was the end of Iron Man, permanently. That's why they're so emotional.

Like I don't think anyone who was losing their poo poo about the Bad Captain America not being a proper replacement for Chris Evan's cap have read a single comic in their life because if they had they'd know who that character is or at least be able to recognize a boilerplate "handpicked successor lets power go to his head and goes bad" superhero plot.

Yeah these are all super good points, the MCU has effectively become its own thing distinct from the comic books. I wonder how much of that has to do with the separation of Spider-Man and the X-Men from Marvel before the MCU got started; I feel like a lot of complaints about the previous versions of Spidey and what the MCU-approved version "fixed" is rooted in the typical comic book lore (i.e. Peter being the perpetual bullied high school nerd). But yeah in either case there seems to be more vitriol when people think one of their totems is being messed with.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Look up the monthly sales of Iron Man and you’d see just how many MCU fans carry over into the comic book market.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To be fair, superhero comic books are extremely intimidating to get into if you're unfamiliar with the landscape.

If Marvel made a series of "canon" MCU-set graphic novels that filled in the gaps between movies and were not ongoing, I think they'd see a lot of sales from movie-only folks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

To be fair, superhero comic books are extremely intimidating to get into if you're unfamiliar with the landscape.

If Marvel made a series of "canon" MCU-set graphic novels that filled in the gaps between movies and were not ongoing, I think they'd see a lot of sales from movie-only folks.

Nah, synergy never works.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Like I don't think anyone who was losing their poo poo about the Bad Captain America not being a proper replacement for Chris Evan's cap

I refuse to believe these people actually exist

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lurdiak posted:

I think I remember some hubbub from fans of comic book character Iron Man being perturbed at RDJ's portrayal overshadowing it some time ago (circa IM2?).

Like, there wasn't much, both because he wasn't exactly a super popular character and because it was clearly a losing fight, but there was some.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

I think I remember some hubbub from fans of comic book character Iron Man being perturbed at RDJ's portrayal overshadowing it some time ago (circa IM2?).

Like, there wasn't much, both because he wasn't exactly a super popular character and because it was clearly a losing fight, but there was some.

Marvel does this annoying thing where they try to change characters in the comics to be a little more like the movie versions, so Tony Stark has become more RDJ like in recent years and if I didn't low-key hate the character I would probably be annoyed by that.

The worst hit character has been Drax, who in the comics is from earth, and yet has spent the last 5 years making unfunny jokes about not understanding earth culture.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

Everytime a new movie comes out there's a prequel comic explicitly set in the MCU and no one buys it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well yeah, a prequel comic is a short throwaway story that is subservient to the movie put together quickly with bad art. I'm more imagining full self-contained adventures that take place between movies that reverence MCU events and characters, but are entirely separate stories. With art that wasn't hastily traced off of reference images.

Still, yeah, it might not move the needle that much but I could see it gaining traction if done right.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Way back when, the Ultimate comics were supposed to sort of be a line for people who had seen, say, the X-Men and Spider-Man movies and wanted stuff like that but without the baggage of decades of continuity, so they didn't directly tie into the movies but they were more streamlined and "cinematic" in style (this is also where they first rendered Nick Fury as looking like Sam Jackson.)

However at some point it instead became "What if the superheroes were total edgelord assholes" and the line sorta deteriorated from there. (EDIT: We did get Miles Morales out of it, though, so not a total loss.)

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 5, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I just don't think it's worth it. It's easier just to have comics and have films and keep it separate. Same way that it's better if the Spider-Man games are their own thing and not related to the films.

Star Wars makes it work, with comics set in between films but there's only two different lines of continuity there (Legends and Post-Disney) as opposed to the myriad different mavrel universes and the appeal of those is the "filling in the gaps" aspect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that's fair. I'm more pondering how Marvel could sell more comics rather than what I think would make for the best content.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The structure of comics distribution is so fundamentally borked that I'm not convinced anything could really improve the business. It's a product sold in specialty stores for a price point that's kind of outpaced inflation, there's good stuff but it's hard to get new eyes on it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I'm more pondering how Marvel could sell more comics rather than what I think would make for the best content.

Yeah, but they've tried your idea several times and it didn't sell more comics.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Comics have barely sold at all for 20 years.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Marvel doesn't need to sell comics, that part of the company generates enough value as an IP farm. Like, Jamie McKelvie has designed tons of costumes for the MCU (the later Iron Man outfits, Captain Marvel, Loki, off the top of my head) while being paid comic book artist rates instead of costume designer royalties. Pretty good deal for Disney!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Comics have barely sold at all for 20 years.

The speculator boom in the 90s was a weird blip that disguised the fact the ship was already sinking. The industry choose to cater almost exclusively to the hard-core fan base in the early 80s and it's been eating poo poo ever since.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nobody reads comic books.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only comic book I've ever loved was The Killing Joke, I always hoped they'd use that storyline for one of the Batman films but they haven't really as far as I'm aware

I also bought The Rugrats comic episode 1 when I was a kid and put it in a plastic sleeve in a drawer thinking it'd be worth money one day lmao

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speculators suck, but the greediness of Marvel and DC is really what did it. They were the ones who pushed for Diamond to monopolize the distribution side of the market and flooded the racks with garbage which put the squeeze on indie publishers since they were all fighting for the same shelf space. Creators rights within the big two were practically non-existent until the Image boys did their thing. Kirby’s estate would’ve never got back any of his Marvel artwork if it weren’t for them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only comic book I've ever loved was The Killing Joke, I always hoped they'd use that storyline for one of the Batman films but they haven't really as far as I'm aware

They did one really bad animated adaptation

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They added a scene in where Batman and Batgirl are fuckin hahaha

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

They did one really bad animated adaptation

I'm not interested in any of those Marvel/DC animated adaptations because they all look so bad, but I'm curious to look at like behind the scenes docs and stuff to see the thought process behind the choices they make.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

Deep Rising rules, so does The Mummy Returns, but less so. And Odd Thomas is pretty good, but not in the same giant film wheelhouse.

I think he had some of the better quippy heroes out there.

I loving love Deep Rising and anyone who can't enjoy that is a boring rear end in a top hat. It's such a fun movie. Same with the Mummy. Both of those movies have a great cast.

Lurdiak posted:

You've never spent much time in comic book stores have you?

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel does this annoying thing where they try to change characters in the comics to be a little more like the movie versions, so Tony Stark has become more RDJ like in recent years and if I didn't low-key hate the character I would probably be annoyed by that.

The worst hit character has been Drax, who in the comics is from earth, and yet has spent the last 5 years making unfunny jokes about not understanding earth culture.

This isn't really new. Batman: The Animated Series changed a whole bunch of stuff about the comic books and futher media. Most notably the introduction of Harley Quinn, who didn't exist in the books prior to the show, and Mr. Freeze's backstory. Previously he was just a dumb gimmick villain.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nobody reads comic books.

It's me. I read the comic books (not superhero books, they are trash). And also FREE DICKEYE!

I'm not interested in any of those Marvel/DC animated adaptations because they all look so bad, but I'm curious to look at like behind the scenes docs and stuff to see the thought process behind the choices they make.

The Harley Quinn show on HBO Max is pretty good. But that's also because its very much it's own thing and instead of being grimdark bullshit it's comedy and the cast rules. I'd recommend that. And also Doom Patrol which is not a cartoon but essential viewing and anyone who doesn't watch Doom Patrol is dead to me.

Watch Doom Patrol.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 5, 2021

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Is the title of The Killing Joke a reference to the band? If so, I hope comic books stick around long enough for there to be a comic titled "Spiderman: The Sultan of Swing."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I also bought The Rugrats comic episode 1 when I was a kid and put it in a plastic sleeve in a drawer thinking it'd be worth money one day lmao

There's an animated film version. It's terrible Bruce and Barbara Gordon gently caress in it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Is the title of The Killing Joke a reference to the band? If so, I hope comic books stick around long enough for there to be a comic titled "Spiderman: The Sultan of Swing."

Probably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Like 80% of it would be Geoff Johns being an rear end in a top hat and no one saying "hey, maybe let's don't"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What comics is everyone reading?

I have a top three “buy anything from this artist” guys, Erik Larsen, David Lapham, and Evan Dorkin. Out of the three, only one current has a monthly (Larsen on Savage Dragon). The other two have passion project ongoings (Stray Bullets and Dork! respectively). Dorkin’s recent works include Bill & Ted are Doomed and Beasts of Burden (both really good!), and Lapham did Lodger with IDW in 2019. I just added Ed Piskor’s Red Room to my pull list after seeing his enthusiasm and some of the finished pages on the Cartoonist Kayfabe channel.

I can’t recommend Cartoonist Kayfabe enough. Jim Rugg and Ed Piskor are doing the lords work with that channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozoN8w7Uhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNtI8JuR2fA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrNME1rdxtU

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 5, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm reading all of the new X-Men books which I highly recommend to people who really like the X-Men but would not recommend to someone with only a passing interest.

It's a weird dynamic but all of it is both a complete reboot of the series and a deep dive into forgotten lore.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

What comics is everyone reading?

Among others:
The Goon
Undiscovered Country
Second Coming: Only Begotten Son
Bzrkzr
Deadly Class
King Tank Girl

And lots of other creator owned books that come out when ever the gently caress they feel like it which I can't even remember now. I'm also reading Steve Gerber's Man-Thing run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The HBO Max Doom Patrol is quite good.