Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot .1415926535 posted:

No, the rentals would not help pay that mortgage in any significant way. It’s in the residential zone so it’s limited to four short term rentals per year.

There are homes similar to that one in Aspen which rent for six figures per month during the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I was looking in the outskirts of PC area, like closer to the Canyons area and around Kimbal Junction. I guess they are not technically Park City, I should have been more clear in my post. Yeah, the houses in Park City proper are way, way beyond affordable even with higher end jobs.

I am struggling to think of any location close to any mountain that would be affordable though.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A friend of a friend bought a house in summit Park for like 180k in 2009. I wish that was me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was so insanely lucky to have bought in September of last year before prices decided to fly up an extra 30% again. It's insane.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
My wife and I bought at the tail end of last year, there's no signs of slowing in Canmore and we figured we might as well get a foothold while interest rates are low. Based on comparable units our place has probably gone up ~$30k since we bought in November, and Council looks likely to axe the new proposed development so it doesn't seem like there's going to be much relief.

They really need to just tax second homes through the nose here, it's such a waste. There's 5 units in our building and we're the only full time residents, aside from some folks from Ontario who are renting for six months as a sort-of vacation. The rest of our neighbors we only see on weekends if that. I assume Whistler is even worse.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I was looking in the outskirts of PC area, like closer to the Canyons area and around Kimbal Junction. I guess they are not technically Park City, I should have been more clear in my post. Yeah, the houses in Park City proper are way, way beyond affordable even with higher end jobs.

I am struggling to think of any location close to any mountain that would be affordable though.

What I’m hearing here about aspen, telluride, PC, is on an entirely different level from what I see around here in Tahoe.

A house in squaw valley or alpine meadows (like, walk/bike/free shuttle to the mountain) is still roughly comparable in price to most major metro areas. Not saying it’s cheap or affordable, but it’s a long ways from that Telluride house.

For example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...source=txtshare

Prices have gone up since the pandemic, sure. But that’s barely half what you’d have to pay for a modest house a 40 minute commute from SF.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
As I plan for my retirement, I've been looking to acquire property in the places I want to retire. Right now I'm planning on splitting my time between Bozeman and Ulleungdo, a hard to access mountain island between Japan and Korea. The good thing about Ulleungdo is that it gets a good amount of powder but almost no one goes there. I think the permanent population is just above 10k. There are only a handful of skiers on the entire island. It's all rugged backcountry of course. So property will never be expensive there,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwMrTfjqzg

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

My wife and I bought at the tail end of last year, there's no signs of slowing in Canmore and we figured we might as well get a foothold while interest rates are low. Based on comparable units our place has probably gone up ~$30k since we bought in November, and Council looks likely to axe the new proposed development so it doesn't seem like there's going to be much relief.

They really need to just tax second homes through the nose here, it's such a waste. There's 5 units in our building and we're the only full time residents, aside from some folks from Ontario who are renting for six months as a sort-of vacation. The rest of our neighbors we only see on weekends if that. I assume Whistler is even worse.

It's SO MUCH WORSE (I've spent a chunk of time in Canmore because of Nakiska races/early season camps). The first complex I lived in here had about 30 apartments. There was us, and a couple with a kid on the floor above as full-time owners. That was it, that was the list. We had the entire parking garage to ourselves the whole week. Thirty percent of our properties are owned by Americans. They totally need to tax second homes. It would tank the value but that's a good thing, maybe people could actually afford to live here! My 1000 square foot townhouse built in the early 80s with no garage should not be worth a million bucks.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 2, 2021

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Went propper corn skiing today. Never really did that before. Guys, it's good

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

From an outsider perspective, a lot of times I would not be able to afford trips to the resorts I like to go to if it were not for AirBnB or similar sites. I of course feel bad for the people who live in the communities that are experiencing high costs of living and wish there was some middle ground solution that would work out better.
I mean, there is a solution. Bulldoze giant empty homes and convert the land to housing that the government can either control the cost of for locals trying to get by, or rent out to tourists.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

I mean, there is a solution. Bulldoze giant empty homes and convert the land to housing that the government can either control the cost of for locals trying to get by, or rent out to tourists.

yes and while we're asking for things that are not realistic, every day should be a minimum 12" pow day and lift lines should be banned

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm for all of the above, but I'd like to specify that a minimum of 50% of the aforementioned pow days are bluebird

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Epitope posted:

Went propper corn skiing today. Never really did that before. Guys, it's good

Second only to pow.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Solid day of slashing yesterday. T bar laps were pretty fun. Below tree line was all mashed potatoes but somehow fast enough.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Second only to pow.

Can confirm

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

Can confirm

It also does cool things to the tour part, rotating around the mountain with the sun. We skied thing we always just pass by. Lay out and get sun burnt while wait for the next aspect to ripen. Sweet

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Squaw was good today as well. Palisades don't have many skiable lines left, but what's still there is good:

The hike in alpine boots wasn't my favorite when there's no snow on it...

The line I opted for. About halfway down there was an alternate straightline to the left, which I strongly considered as it looked a lot better from above than it did from below, though decided against it because of the rocks I knew were at the exit and wasn't sure I'd be able to avoid.

In the first image, this is the chute just climbers left of the rock face directly below the skiers standing on top. You can see the ski-out from the straightline as well as the rocks it goes over/through on the bottom right of the rock face.

The snow on mountain run (only way to the base) is getting pretty thin; I'm doubting it'll make it to next weekend. And I've heard rumors they won't download the funitel because it would require having a bunch of people waiting inside the top terminal... I'm hoping I get out for at least another day or two but this might have been it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Oh, this picture has it. Far left. Damnit now I wish I had skied it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I know it's dumb social media stuff but I love kid stoke so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyz5EhBANHg&t=33s

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 4, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

About 6 weeks out from season open here in Aus and getting excited. :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Bought my Ikon pass, although held off on my wife's pass when we found out pass insurance doesn't cover "normal, uncomplicated pregnancy," and she wants to get pregnant.

Maybe we can save money and only buy 1 pass this year! :v:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Yuns posted:

I know it's dumb social media stuff but I love kid stoke so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyz5EhBANHg&t=33s

I came across those people on Tiktok a while back, that kid is great.

Edit: don't tell anyone that I am on tiktok.....

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I did the math and I think I got 82 days this year. I'm pretty happy with that, hopefully get 1 or 2 more before it's all said and done.

Split almost 50/50 between human powered and lift powered, that's also something I'm pretty pleased with. If it were easier for me to go do 1-2 hour tours, I could see going without a pass one season, but I honestly enjoy being able to bang out 4-5 laps in an hour before work.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

I did the math and I think I got 82 days this year. I'm pretty happy with that, hopefully get 1 or 2 more before it's all said and done.

Split almost 50/50 between human powered and lift powered, that's also something I'm pretty pleased with. If it were easier for me to go do 1-2 hour tours, I could see going without a pass one season, but I honestly enjoy being able to bang out 4-5 laps in an hour before work.

Nice! I managed 15 backcountry days and 28 resort days; not a ton but more than I've managed probably since college. Living in the mountains helps, haha. I didn't really figure out a strategy for getting out on work days consistently until the end of the season (solution is to wake up and start working at 6 AM every day and then taking a few hours out of the middle of the day to ski isn't a problem). So I'm hoping to do a lot more next winter.

I love human powered skiing, but there's also something to be said for lifts; I love the down far too much to be limited to the vert I can get in under my own power. And yet I keep encountering people this season who see it as a point of pride to ski only backcountry. Like, a friend of a friend who showed up for beers at the end of a ski day at Squaw after doing a tour and then made some comment about "oh I don't need lifts."

Lots of respect and props to folks who get in a ton of backcountry days and vert. Seriously, love it. I'll appreciate how much people get out on the backcountry, but I can't give two shits about how little they go to the resort.

Imagining how long it would take to see serious improvement in someone's skiing abilities if all they did was tour.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I should clarify that that’s not a knock on folks who never ski at the resort; whatever gets you excited is rad. just annoyance at those who seem to think it makes them superior somehow

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I got 0 days this year

Stupid covid

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Nice! I managed 15 backcountry days and 28 resort days; not a ton but more than I've managed probably since college. Living in the mountains helps, haha. I didn't really figure out a strategy for getting out on work days consistently until the end of the season (solution is to wake up and start working at 6 AM every day and then taking a few hours out of the middle of the day to ski isn't a problem). So I'm hoping to do a lot more next winter.

I love human powered skiing, but there's also something to be said for lifts; I love the down far too much to be limited to the vert I can get in under my own power. And yet I keep encountering people this season who see it as a point of pride to ski only backcountry. Like, a friend of a friend who showed up for beers at the end of a ski day at Squaw after doing a tour and then made some comment about "oh I don't need lifts."

Lots of respect and props to folks who get in a ton of backcountry days and vert. Seriously, love it. I'll appreciate how much people get out on the backcountry, but I can't give two shits about how little they go to the resort.

Imagining how long it would take to see serious improvement in someone's skiing abilities if all they did was tour.

Very good stuff. The best thing about the backcountry is riding some form of powder instead of ice.

I am at 33 backcountry days and 7 resort days this year. Might get a few more in, but bikes are calling. I am looking forward to some more regular resort riding next year. I only chased 1 powder day this season in the resort.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Very good stuff. The best thing about the backcountry is riding some form of powder instead of ice.

I am at 33 backcountry days and 7 resort days this year. Might get a few more in, but bikes are calling. I am looking forward to some more regular resort riding next year. I only chased 1 powder day this season in the resort.

There weren't many pow days to be had this year anyway, at least in Aspen. I got most of them, and it wasn't really all thag many. Although there were a few really good ones.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Steve French posted:

I should clarify that that’s not a knock on folks who never ski at the resort; whatever gets you excited is rad. just annoyance at those who seem to think it makes them superior somehow

Ya that attitude is lame. I've skied like 3 days on lifts since getting A/T gear 10 years ago, but not cuz lifts aren't cool, I'm just cheap. Lift serve is frickin fun, it's just dropping that cash when there's a free alternative is hard for my frugality impulse.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Another big factor is that when I'm in the backcountry, I'm never pushing my skiing 100%, it just doesn't seem prudent. Lift served areas with avalanche control, ski patrol presence, etc, are valuable to me to push my limits and ski more aggressively, and just fit a lot more of it in in a short amount of time. Serves totally different purposes to me and I love the poo poo out of both.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

I got 0 days this year

Stupid covid

:emptyquote:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Having moved right on a ski mountain and being done with grad school, happy to live the ski bum lifestyle and hit 101 days on resort and 4 in the backcountry, though the overwhelming majority in VT. Now to rest the knees and prepare for next year.

Getting the ikon pass for next year and I was wondering if there were mountains on it that had an extremely canadian / steeps clinic. I'm able to ski most stuff, but having not done anything out west in a while, being terrified of heights, and not knowing the mountains, it would be awesome to be able to book something to help in those regards.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I got 0 days this year

Stupid covid

:same:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I might get some water skis next week am I in the right thread?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
It is pond skim season, so send it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Master_Odin posted:

Having moved right on a ski mountain and being done with grad school, happy to live the ski bum lifestyle and hit 101 days on resort and 4 in the backcountry, though the overwhelming majority in VT. Now to rest the knees and prepare for next year.

Getting the ikon pass for next year and I was wondering if there were mountains on it that had an extremely canadian / steeps clinic. I'm able to ski most stuff, but having not done anything out west in a while, being terrified of heights, and not knowing the mountains, it would be awesome to be able to book something to help in those regards.

Super interested in this as well. I posted above how we got some great instruction at crested butte this winter: all day lesson for like $140. My wife and I were paired with an instructor who took us ride some ungroomed/unmarked double black terrain which we probably wouldn’t have felt comfortable exploring by ourselves. We also got ikon passes this year.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Big Sky has plenty of shitfuck terrain and I bet you could get a rowdy group lesson going. Also it's gorgeous out there

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Did some skiing at spwrozek’s secret stash today. Turns on the west aspects were excessively crusty even in the afternoon, lots of cloud cover and wind. Good views though!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anachronist posted:

Did some skiing at spwrozek’s secret stash today. Turns on the west aspects were excessively crusty even in the afternoon, lots of cloud cover and wind. Good views though!

Ha, nice. We were on the fence about skiing today thinking it might be kind of crusty. So we went mountain biking and beer drinking instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Ha, nice. We were on the fence about skiing today thinking it might be kind of crusty. So we went mountain biking and beer drinking instead.

Not a bad choice either I’m sure. E aspects were a slush fest even with the clouds in the afternoon. I got there too late to ski any of that today.

Also there was a bomb threat on 70 3 miles west of the tunnel so that’s fun. Lots of backup on Loveland Pass.