Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
anime is a good for watching w/ a kid--it's cartoons so they like it and they usually have a decent enough story for the parent, at least compared to other cartoons

i guess you could say only sex havers can really appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

pirate warriors is a good dynasty warriors series. i don't know if its a faithful reproduction of the anime though all i care about is killing 1,000 dudes

they fight large groups of enemies in the anime sometimes but for the most part each arc is maybe a dozen one-on-one fights between major characters. pirate warriors is a nice recap piece but honestly it glosses over some things that it probably shouldn't, or at least things that would be really cool in a video game like the Whiskey Peak chapter where Zoro fights 100 powerful foes by himself because everyone else is drunk. and it suffers by nature of being developed for the w-force engine which, having been originally developed over twenty years ago, just isn't as versatile as it needs to be.

but aside from that it's pretty good as far as "beating up thousands of weak rear end guys and their crazy strong leader" goes

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's two questions here, what's the most entertaining game, and what's the game that best captures the experience of the licenced property?

It's an academic thing, really, since the answer to both is alien isolation

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

its_my_birthday posted:

anime is a good for watching w/ a kid--it's cartoons so they like it and they usually have a decent enough story for the parent, at least compared to other cartoons

i guess you could say only sex havers can really appreciate it

The cruellest of ironies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fur20 posted:

they fight large groups of enemies in the anime sometimes but for the most part each arc is maybe a dozen one-on-one fights between major characters. pirate warriors is a nice recap piece but honestly it glosses over some things that it probably shouldn't, or at least things that would be really cool in a video game like the Whiskey Peak chapter where Zoro fights 100 powerful foes by himself because everyone else is drunk. and it suffers by nature of being developed for the w-force engine which, having been originally developed over twenty years ago, just isn't as versatile as it needs to be.

but aside from that it's pretty good as far as "beating up thousands of weak rear end guys and their crazy strong leader" goes

Pirate Warriors pretty much assumes you're at least vaguely familiar with the anime or manga and the plot is basically an extremely truncated recap of the major plot beats so you can recognise what arc the mission is representing. Probably doesn't help that it has to cover the entirety of a very long and ongoing story, and at times has to come up with a conclusion to story arcs that aren't completed yet. (PW3, iirc considered the best one, ended in the middle of the Dressrosa arc, which just went on and on) The gameplay has almost nothing in common with the action in the show, which is more pirate superhero smackdowns with superpowers ranging from fairly standard to the most ridiculous ones you'll see this side of Jojo, and the main protagonist having powers that make him fight like a Tex Avery character is a deliberate choice to make sure it never gets too serious.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Barudak posted:

Best licensed anime game of all time?

am I allowed to count Chronicles of Riddick?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the actual non-funny answer to the question of "best licensed game" is Alien: Isolation

Yeah this is basically the only licensed game that I have top tier reverence for. I recently replayed it in VR and it was seriously like one of my top game experiences ever.

Unpopular A:I opinion. It's not too long. I like that it's long as hell.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
isn't that a horror jumpscare game
gross

Barudak
May 7, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

There's two questions here, what's the most entertaining game, and what's the game that best captures the experience of the licenced property?

It's an academic thing, really, since the answer to both is alien isolation

Blade Runner gives Alien Isolation a good run for its money. Its basically the only adventure game where the randomization has a thematic value and it delivers on the setting exceptionally well. It even captures the "kind of a lousy detective but a pretty decent if slightly incompetent pyschopath with a gun" that the film has going.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

isn't that a horror jumpscare game
gross

Not really, no.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah this is basically the only licensed game that I have top tier reverence for. I recently replayed it in VR and it was seriously like one of my top game experiences ever.

Unpopular A:I opinion. It's not too long. I like that it's long as hell.
It was fine until it had you get captured right before the spacewalk, that was what finally killed my enthusiasm. Also the gently caress you cliffhanger ending was unfitting for such an exhausting, drawnout experience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Long games are a tricky thing to get right, since there's often only so many ways to iterate on your core mechanics without getting stale or going down to the dregs. I feel you can do it right, but then again, I enjoy rereading The Count of Monte Cristo.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Barudak posted:

Blade Runner gives Alien Isolation a good run for its money. Its basically the only adventure game where the randomization has a thematic value and it delivers on the setting exceptionally well. It even captures the "kind of a lousy detective but a pretty decent if slightly incompetent pyschopath with a gun" that the film has going.

Blade Runner is a bad game because your dog dies :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor J Off posted:

Blade Runner is a bad game because your dog dies :(

All Android Dogs go to Android Heaven

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It's a bad game because of that stupid plank.

I really don't get the whole "Good boye is bestist" thing with dogs myself, I don't really like dogs much. I really liked in God of War, the dogs are 'super' annoying, and it's really satisfying that you can punt them across the room, Kratos really hoofs it, lol. (Please note I'm saying those specific dogs, not that I'm like YES KICK ALL DOGS). I still appreciate that for lots of people it's something they hold dear, almost sacrosanct, and appreciate it as one of those things that you can't really be 'edgy' about without also being a massive dickhead. It makes me wonder if there are other things like this.

Like, it's the case for a LOT of people that "If a dog dies in a game, it's worse" which to me is utterly unrelatable. But there are enough people with that opinion that you hear about it. But there must be loads of people for whom certain stuff in games, and entertainment in general, is just morally repugnant, but stuff that you'd never think of.

I wonder what the weirdest one is.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sally posted:

am I allowed to count Chronicles of Riddick?

Nah I'm still mad about edge giving it a 10.

I mean it was a perfectly ok videogame but I'm not sure it hangs with the rest of the Edge 10s throughout the years

itry
Aug 23, 2019

!Klams posted:

But there must be loads of people for whom certain stuff in games, and entertainment in general, is just morally repugnant, but stuff that you'd never think of.

Spree killing people while an announcer shouts "M-m-multi Kill!"

Edit: Asking for pineapple on your pizza in CP77.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I will never understand the point in photo modes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's so you can take them to blockbuster and get them printed on little stickers

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

!Klams posted:

It's a bad game because of that stupid plank.

I really don't get the whole "Good boye is bestist" thing with dogs myself, I don't really like dogs much. I really liked in God of War, the dogs are 'super' annoying, and it's really satisfying that you can punt them across the room, Kratos really hoofs it, lol. (Please note I'm saying those specific dogs, not that I'm like YES KICK ALL DOGS). I still appreciate that for lots of people it's something they hold dear, almost sacrosanct, and appreciate it as one of those things that you can't really be 'edgy' about without also being a massive dickhead. It makes me wonder if there are other things like this.

Like, it's the case for a LOT of people that "If a dog dies in a game, it's worse" which to me is utterly unrelatable. But there are enough people with that opinion that you hear about it. But there must be loads of people for whom certain stuff in games, and entertainment in general, is just morally repugnant, but stuff that you'd never think of.

They're good dogs Brent

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Normal people do not watch anime

Jim Belushi asked for anime recommendations on twitter a few months ago, and even though he's not a A-list star or anything once it hits that point it really feels incorrect to call it niche anymore imo

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

Jim Belushi asked for anime recommendations on twitter a few months ago, and even though he's not a A-list star or anything once it hits that point it really feels incorrect to call it niche anymore imo

I like anime but Jim Belushi is such a piece of poo poo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDI7QJhy_o

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I like anime but Jim Belushi is such a piece of poo poo

No I believe that it was just kind of a weird thing to see

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Long games are a tricky thing to get right, since there's often only so many ways to iterate on your core mechanics without getting stale or going down to the dregs. I feel you can do it right, but then again, I enjoy rereading The Count of Monte Cristo.

Who wouldn't? Absolutely fantastic novel. Beautifully written, Perfectly paced, and a perfect combination of high concept themes and low concept action.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the actual non-funny answer to the question of "best licensed game" is Alien: Isolation

i really love KOTOR and that Lord of the Rings game where you run around Mordor killing thousands of Orcs and assassinating their generals and poo poo. Shadow of Mordor I think. But Alien: Isolation is the best.

witcher is a licensed game therefore you are wrong, sorry

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Does I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream count as a licensed game, or is that more of an adaptation?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

Does I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream count as a licensed game, or is that more of an adaptation?

it counts, most licensed games don't follow the original story exactly. its also the clear winner of this discussion

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
actually no, the best licenced game is clearly Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game as it is a double license inception
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGav4TMW1mI

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy infocom

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Disney's 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the best licensed game is that evangelion school life/dating sim where the entire cast had recorded lines about how they don't have time to talk to you right now because they have to take a piss

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

actually no, the best licenced game is clearly Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game as it is a double license inception
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGav4TMW1mI

This game is weirdly important since it brought EX moves into Street Fighter and was only the second(?) game to have them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fur20 posted:

the best licensed game is that evangelion school life/dating sim where the entire cast had recorded lines about how they don't have time to talk to you right now because they have to take a piss

Wtf

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Dewgy posted:

I always wanted to play that game and own the awesome box as a kid. Now I have it on my phone and I play it every time I fly to China. Awesome game, great voice acting, really bleak.

That is a licensed game, yeah.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8249195

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Its an adaptation since the author of the original work both plays a lead role in it and wrote the story treatment for it, but its still licensed since that author didn't commission it himself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That original Dead Island trailer was dumb as gently caress since the day it came out. Even barring that it's a horribly misleading bullshot of pretty crappy game, it's just a stupid rear end trailer. Whenever someone brings up how amazing it is I assume they are a moron.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

What about all the starwars and batman and spiderman licensed games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Flannelette posted:

What about all the starwars and batman and spiderman licensed games?

They are bad