Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Depending on the hubs that can either be absolutely trivial, or literally impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If it's the 545 hubs then you can get a Campy freehub body, you just need to redish the wheel afterwards.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

BraveUlysses posted:

please use a drill press

I drilled a hole in a carbon frame without a drill press and I'm still alive!

...but I never rode the frame.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Got it thanks. Looks like it is the Sonic 545 rear hub. I found the freehub body on HED's website for a cool $150. The used wheelset is only $200 off the MSRP, kinda rather have a brand new set for only $50 more. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about redishing.

Although HED isn't delivering new wheel purchases until November...

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

French Canadian posted:

I drilled a hole in a carbon frame without a drill press and I'm still alive!

...but I never rode the frame.

This feels like a confession of murder

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

spf3million posted:

This feels like a dumb question but if I want to convert a wheelset with a shimano freehub to campy, do I need a freehub body specific to the hub?

Some HED jet blacks popped up on the pros closet, thinking about grabbing them for my slow-burn project build.

Is it 11 speed?

Campy and shimano 11 speed cassettes have the same sprocket spacings and widths and I think the only thing you need to do is adjust your derailleur a touch as they might have a different offset depending on wheel make. You don't need to change anything on the wheels.

Also, if you haven't received a dispatch notification today can you please check the e-mail you registered your account with? Theres one goon in Concord California I need to get in touch with before I send their order.

Thanks!

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 4, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I'm trying to revive my old cross bike as it's been more or less disused for the past few years, and use it as an occasional lightweight road-ish bike and around townie.

Unfortunately, I think there are too many chips on the old alpha q fork clearcoat for me to be comfortable using it, and pickings are somewhat slim for QR cantilever carbon forks these days. Does anyone have any suggestions on forks to look at, where to find them?

I've looked around for Enve, Whisky, and Ritchey forks. Enve and Whisky are hard to find, Ritchey less so. I really don't like the look of the ritchey comp fork, though, and the WCS is pretty pricey at ~$400.

Obligatory bike photo:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Got a rear rack from my Brompton through Ali express because gently caress off paying like 300 dollars for an H&H rack or an official rack. Didn’t come with any instructions or hardware, so spent about 3 hours figuring out how to thread the rear mudguard support wires through it without pinching the rear wheel or touching the chain. I must have taken off and reinstalled the rear wheel like 20 times checking things only to find some part of the folding bike rubs something else when I put it together this way or that. No fears about not knowing how to fix a flat now on this bike.

Eventually got it all together with some easy roller wheels as well. Still can’t put panniers on the back without heel strikes but it does roll much more stable when folded up. I probably could put one of those rack top bags on there without impacting peddling but it wouldn’t fold up without taking it off. It’s made of titanium so it barely adds any weight too. I’m pretty happy with it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what's the mtb in the back right? Old Heckler?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

what's the mtb in the back right? Old Heckler?

yeah it's in the "rebuild and get in nice rideable condition" queue behind the salsa and my wife's old boat anchor SE single speed.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

serious gaylord posted:

Also, if you haven't received a dispatch notification today can you please check the e-mail you registered your account with?
Yup, that was me. Needed to confirm my measurements. Sent you a reply, thanks again!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

serious gaylord posted:

Is it 11 speed?

Campy and shimano 11 speed cassettes have the same sprocket spacings and widths and I think the only thing you need to do is adjust your derailleur a touch as they might have a different offset depending on wheel make. You don't need to change anything on the wheels.
Oh interesting, I thought they were different for some reason. I'd need to use a Shimano/SRAM cassette then, right? Because Campy cassettes have different splines than Shimano/SRAM.

I was pondering going 12 speed... not that I really need it but...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spf3million posted:

Oh interesting, I thought they were different for some reason
They are slightly different, but less than 1mm of drift across the entire cassette. I've heard people say it's fully interchangeable, but I found swapping Campy/Shimano cassettes and drivetrains to be less nice-shifting than all one brand, even with lots of adjustment. Should be easy enough to try if you have another 11spd wheel sitting around.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My only experience is when I borrowed a friends spare rear wheel at a time trial as I left my disc at home and his spare was Campy and I didn't really notice a difference in shifting. Although I did use it as an excuse for my poor time.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

11sp cassette spacing is basically the same but the splines on the hub are different

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

11sp cassette spacing is basically the same but the splines on the hub are different

Shut up unless it’s a drill pubedoc!!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Post the Hole-nago

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Post the Hole-nago

:five:

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Post the Hole-nago

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Have you ever had one of those days where you just stand with your hands on your hips looking at something someone else has done to a second hand bike just befoggled going “whu wha fuuuuuu whu?”

The seat post was 26 cm and was held in by 4cm, what is this a seat post for ants or were you actually trying to murder your wife sir?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

learnincurve posted:

Have you ever had one of those days where you just stand with your hands on your hips looking at something someone else has done to a second hand bike just befoggled going “whu wha fuuuuuu whu?”

The seat post was 26 cm and was held in by 4cm, what is this a seat post for ants or were you actually trying to murder your wife sir?

Old steel seatposts had less insertion minimums and people tended to ride larger frames until the 90s, so I can see the habit being formed there. Though obviously some people don't think safety bounds apply to them. See every crane collapse ever.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I ripped it out the bike in case anyone grabbed it from the shed by accident, and it was in exactly this much under “insertion minimum”

This is not even the worst thing he did to this bike, the worst thing was either putting the fork on backwards then rewiring the cables around it, or not tightening a single bolt.

Edit: this is a 16” women’s MTB frame btw.

Edit: ohhh I see, Google says the saddle is not the one that would have come with the bike, he’s switched the seat post plus the saddle from a different much smaller bike.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 5, 2021

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

I'm also between sizes and found that the medium, while a touch snug, ended up being a better fit. I actually still keep the large in my fatbiking helmet around and wear it in colder temps where in an emergency I might need a full toque under it. Best part of sizing down is I can now put a big arse light on my helmet and it doesn't move around at all.

bicievino posted:

Giro Large is huge as gently caress.

From a couple pages back, but thanks for the input! Ended up going for the medium and will return the large. It is snug, but it looks and feels so much better.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

learnincurve posted:

I ripped it out the bike in case anyone grabbed it from the shed by accident, and it was in exactly this much under “insertion minimum”

This is not even the worst thing he did to this bike, the worst thing was either putting the fork on backwards then rewiring the cables around it, or not tightening a single bolt.

Edit: this is a 16” women’s MTB frame btw.

Edit: ohhh I see, Google says the saddle is not the one that would have come with the bike, he’s switched the seat post plus the saddle from a different much smaller bike.

Lol I love that backward MTB fork. You see it all the time on Canadian Tire bikes.

Bring back curved forks imo

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
hello its me - fat boi #31241231240. I went for my 1st jersey today, took the largest one off the rack (2XL) and headed to the fitting room. The dang 2XL was like 1/4 of the size needed for my chubs (strange euro elitist sizing maybe?) I am 240 lb 6'3", can someone tell me a website that has a return policy with fat boy sizes?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Thom ZombieForm posted:

hello its me - fat boi #31241231240. I went for my 1st jersey today, took the largest one off the rack (2XL) and headed to the fitting room. The dang 2XL was like 1/4 of the size needed for my chubs (strange euro elitist sizing maybe?) I am 240 lb 6'3", can someone tell me a website that has a return policy with fat boy sizes?

Which brand was it, Castelli? Cuz they have that euro sizing in spades: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/customer-service/size-chart
I've found most jerseys to be accurate to their size charts.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I haven't tried either of them, but I did come across two brands that had big and tall lines:

https://fatladattheback.com/

https://www.twinsix.com/

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Weembles posted:

I haven't tried either of them, but I did come across two brands that had big and tall lines:

https://fatladattheback.com/

https://www.twinsix.com/

IDK anything about their sizing but Twin Six makes quality stuff. Can't recommend them enough. Plus their designs are great too.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Thom ZombieForm posted:

For us clydesdale riders, these guys have been around awhile making kits that fit.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Competitive Cyclist has a great return policy. I constantly return items that don't fit and they always refund me.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dead Nerve posted:

For us clydesdale riders, these guys have been around awhile making kits that fit.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/

they make tall sizes too

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

IDK anything about their sizing but Twin Six makes quality stuff. Can't recommend them enough. Plus their designs are great too.

Oops, that was the wrong bookmark. I had meant to paste in https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/.

But twinsix is pretty good. I really like their designs as well.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Turned my city bike into a trecking bike and turns out the straight bars are getting old after a while.
130km of asphalt and a bit of gravel along a canal in the south of France.

It was more or less always like that except when going trough towns, so it does get old. I think as you get more toward the mediteranean sea you have a more open view of the surroundings

I should have gone with 2 half full bags rather than 1 full, balance was weird. But those aero gains...

Plenty of water locks (boat lift?) everywhere, making this canal must have costed a fortune back in the day.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 6, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Which cube is that and how do you find it?

I’m saving what I would have spent on bus fair for the cube touring bike - I got a JE James near my house.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Canyon is teasing a gravel adventure bike
https://www.canyon.com/en-fr/canyon-launch-event/?utm_source=row-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=back_in_stock_gravel_teaser

I found it surprising that the Grail had no rack support at all

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Canyon don't believe in mudguards or racks on their race bikes, it's a branding thing as much as anything else I think

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krogort posted:

Canyon is teasing a gravel adventure bike
https://www.canyon.com/en-fr/canyon-launch-event/?utm_source=row-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=back_in_stock_gravel_teaser

I found it surprising that the Grail had no rack support at all

Can’t wait to see what proprietary nonsense they come up with for this bike

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hi bike thread, I'm selling a handful of bikepacking bags in sa-mart if anyone is in need of Versatile Storage and Transport Solutions for their m&ms

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Hi bike thread, I'm selling a handful of bikepacking bags in sa-mart if anyone is in need of Versatile Storage and Transport Solutions for their m&ms

nice feed bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
At least injured bunnies are easier to catch and transport to the animal rescue place than geese.