Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I went back to Amphibia Season one, and it turns out Anne's eyes glow blue for a split-second when she's grappling with the Mantis in Anne or Beast. Neat detail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I went back to Amphibia Season one, and it turns out Anne's eyes glow blue for a split-second when she's grappling with the Mantis in Anne or Beast. Neat detail!

Yeah, I remember seeing that back in the day and thinking there were going to do something with it, especially when she was suddenly weaker than most of the big bugs. Well, now we know.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ruflux posted:

They're not gonna start mass-firing people for speaking up, come on. It'd be a PR nightmare for one thing and completely ruin the whole channel because now they've got a bunch of shows without showrunners that have halted production. Staff would openly revolt and quit en masse in protest. It's the kind of self-sabotage that would result in the whole DTVA arm collapsing and everyone involved getting booted.

There might be some reprimands for speaking out of term on Twitter but the real people who ought to be worried for their jobs are the ones responsible for creating this situation in the first place. The person making the call to pull the episode less than a day from its intended airdate, the person whose job was to inform Apple that the episode's being pulled, don't put it up yet, hell, even the social media guy is probably in hot water since it was a DTVA Twitter post that first suggested the episode was being delayed due to a scheduling conflict and got people mad at other Disney show for supposedly being the cause.

Normally I'd agree, but there's a paranoid part of me imagining that they are planning on using this mess as an excuse to gut DTVA because some crazy guy higher up in the company wants to reallocate it's budget to a part of Disney that isn't doing well at the moment(which probably describes like 85% of the company right now)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Mods please rename this thread to The Pain Room.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A single thing about the finale that I want to get off my chest, just a small bit of wordplay for those who have seen it: Super-SaiyAnne

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

A single thing about the finale that I want to get off my chest, just a small bit of wordplay for those who have seen it: Super-SaiyAnne

Go to the Pain Room. I'll be joining shortly.

Also, new thread title: General Kids Show Discussion Thread: Amphibia fans report to the Pain Room

Edit: Regarding the pulling of the episode, I think S&P probably pulled it at the last minute since they may have not gotten the full scope of the big thing at the end or were too lazy to flag it ahead of time at any point in the process that might've triggered the flag and now they have to make sure with legal and everything with all of the appropriate content warnings. Or that S&P did okay, but someone else higher in the company panicked after seeing it.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 3, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On a non-amphiba related note, I'm at the end of the Freeza saga in Super and love that Dragonball's heaven and hell are basically switched. The heroes got to go to hell and play with the Oni, which only happened if they screwed up, and with the exception of Cell, the villains go to Heaven because Yemma knows they'll hate it.

Also very general trope talk, I've always been a sucker for emotion based powerups, when someone loses themselves in whatever emotion triggers it. It's always a really powerful moment, whether rage (Goku's righteous fury allowing him to tap into Super Saiyan power for the first time, alt example Bubbles Hardcore mode in Powerpuff Girls), sorrow (while I hated the plot point that led to it, Brutal Legend's Black Tear Ophelia is a cool idea for an example and I can't think of another one) or simple hatred (like that one scientist guy in season 5 of Digimon who became a demon digimon's heart and wound up reduced to a deranged face sticking out of his chest screaming "HATRED!"), just having that one aspect completely overwrite everything else in their brain is a very strong idea. Especially when they learn how to tap into that power reliably.
Let's also not forget 7's resonance with her built up trauma as every terrible point in her life plays in her head at once causing the apocalypsein Season 1 of Umbrella Academy

Gaara in Naruto had an unusual variant, not so much a powerup but a mania - he was perpetually joyful but in a cruel kind of "I'm having a lot of fun killing a lot of people!" way. Not the usual smug murderer like Frieza, but a perpetual deranged smile as he lost himself more and more into the fight.

spoilered the ones that seemed appropriate to spoiler, but Dragonball and PPG are enough of a meme it didn't seem to matter, while less people are likely to have seen the other examples or remember them outright as they are less of a cultural staple as specific examples.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 3, 2021

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Not to turn this into the Amphibia finale airdate megathread but it is current and relevant, and Matt Braly has an update on that situation:
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1389663336430587907
Sounds like edits to the episode are coming. Oh, Disney. Couldn't leave well enough alone. At least we have the original out in the wild now so even with all the changes in the world, the original version, as approved by Disney's own S&P I should add, will still exist no matter how much Disney dislikes it/remains convinced it's bad optics or whatever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've never watched Amphibia, and probably won't get around to it anytime soon just like the hundreds of other TV shows I need to watch but can't fit time in for. However I don't think there is a single theme song in existence that I wish got a like 3 minute long version more than the Amphibia theme song.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I mentioned Amphibia in a discord, and the immediate response was someone accusing me of having Sasha as my favorite character

they were right, but still lmao

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

longer version of Heartstomper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Lrf8zk9JY
also while I'm at it, even though this one is direct from the episode,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfB68nb94Wc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trailer for the upcoming Rugrats reboot:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w9qvm5H5Zto

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

Trailer for the upcoming Rugrats reboot:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w9qvm5H5Zto

Is it just me or is the lip synch/mouth animation weirdly bad? The character designs look pretty good, especially given the challenge of translating Klasky-Csupo's notoriously weird/lumpy character designs into 3D and, despite the relatively low framerate, the actual animation looks pretty decent...But then whenever the characters start talking it just looks like they've been shot up with Novocain.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That looks real poo poo

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

new voice actor for Stu doesn't sound depressed and as a mid-30s male I cannot associate with this character the way I can with OG Stu

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems like they may have aged Susie down a bit for this as well (in the original she was the same age as Angelica I believe but here she both looks and sounds like one of the babies)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The animation just looks horrible. The animation for original Rugrats degraded as the show went on, but early on it was notable for having a really developed and unique animation style. Seems like a bad decision to make this look so crummy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RIP Kimi, you just were one too many characters for the show dynamics I guess. Maybe Chuckie's dad needs to stay sadder than Stu.

Show looks bad, but I don't know how much of that is just me having soured on a lot of the original premise of Rugrats. Animation's not good either.

Also RIP Christine Cavanaugh.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

RIP Kimi, you just were one too many characters for the show dynamics I guess. Maybe Chuckie's dad needs to stay sadder than Stu.

I'd stopped watching the show regularly by the time Kimi came along, didn't she end up basically just being "Another Tommy, but this one is a girl"? Either way, I feel like she was a better addition to the cast than loving Dil and his complete lack of personality or consequence. The one thing I can really hand to All Grown Up is that it managed to make Dil an actually worthwhile character.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kimi felt like she could have had a point given the Finster's arc up til that point - two guys who have become each other's sole source of emotional strength after the loss of their wife/mother, one falling into a stable but depressive rut and the other developing an early sense of responsibility due to being the only one there for his father meet people that fill the void that has been in their lives in the form of a stepmother/sister and allow Chuckie to finally explore his childhood and bring Charles senior out of his rut and get him interacting with other people outside his small circles could have been an interesting direction.

Dil was just a weird outlier, the only baby who couldn't talk due to some odd inconsistency where somehow he's too young to be able to form cogent thoughts while other babies of his age in the movie can clearly express themselves fine. He existed solely for the pun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dil's place in the social dynamic did at least make sense as a thing that a lot of kids have to experience. It didn't make sense how he was somehow too young to talk to babies who were themselves too young to actually tall (and didn't even stick to internal logic in the movie). I don't really remember the Kimi episodes either, maybe I had stopped watching by then.

I think I liked the second movie better than the first one, but what I remember most strongly are the songs from a computer game vaguely based on the first movie. A little typing-tutor rhythm game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF6HiQZB-po
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRgxWYLJhBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVvYtiy4RI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRbfoPOwt7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDrSgtKcI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_G_tTpJM9w

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dil was a large part of what killed my interest in the series as a kid (though I’ve heard Kimi was ok and that the former gets a little better in All Grown Up where he finally gets to be a proper character). And yeah, it’s weird that Dil and Dil alone couldn’t talk beyond a few select words.

So far I’m not impressed with the remake but maybe they’ll surprise us somehow. Do we know when this is officially supposed to start?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

for some reason this conversation reminds me of an old 70s puppet cartoon called The Herbs that was very cute. There was an excitable dog called Dill, a friendly lion called Parsley, an idiot hunter/nobleman and his frustrated wife known as Basil and Rosemary. IIRC they also all had aspects of the herb as part of their design, like Parsley's mane was made of parsley.

It had the best late start character too - in one episode Parsley finds a nest with an egg in it. Because he's still a lion he attacks the nest, using it as a chew toy and gets yelled at by Rosemary for being a twat. Then the egg hatches, and out comes TARRAGON THE loving DRAGON.

Then he joined the main cast from then on, although my grandma only had some episode collections on VHS so I didn't see that many. That was a memorable moment for me though. :P It was the same grandma that had episodes of Captain Zed and the Zee Zone, which I watched on youtube last year, and has held up alarmingly well although a lot of the later episodes are really poor quality due to release limitations (it only aired briefly and only a few episodes came out to VHS, anything else you'd have to have got lucky with people taping it themselves and unforunatly that didn't happen enough for half the episodes to survive. Most of season 1 is intact though, and good enough quality to the watchable)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was never a huge fan of Rugrats (though I watched every episode out of some bizarre brand loyalty of Nickelodeon?) but yeah that preview looks like hot garbage.

Sockser posted:

new voice actor for Stu doesn't sound depressed and as a mid-30s male I cannot associate with this character the way I can with OG Stu

Yeah he doesn't sound like he's lost control of his life. :v:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dil was not great but was a super great wildcard in All Grown Up

Kimi, and Rugrats in Paris in general, were leagues better, though IIRC Kimi didn’t do much in All Grown Up?

And I don’t remember the crossover Wild Thornberries movie at all, and with Tim Curry in his current state I hope they do not try to reboot/sequel/live action/whatever it

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

wild thornberries crossover was great. Better than the first movie, worse than in paris

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

when rugrats came back the first time around after being cancelled in 1998 or whatever, the new animation style turned me off, and i really didn't like a lot of the plots for the episodes, but occasionally watched it if i had nothing better to do. but i tapped out entirely by the time dil showed up. what i find really interesting is how long the show continued, long after the reboot, long after dil, and long after even kimi. hell, even that All Grown Up show lasted a good minute (edit: FIVE goddamned seasons! :psyduck: ).

BioEnchanted posted:

On a non-amphiba related note, I'm at the end of the Freeza saga in Super and love that Dragonball's heaven and hell are basically switched. The heroes got to go to hell and play with the Oni, which only happened if they screwed up, and with the exception of Cell, the villains go to Heaven because Yemma knows they'll hate it.

Also very general trope talk, I've always been a sucker for emotion based powerups, when someone loses themselves in whatever emotion triggers it. It's always a really powerful moment, whether rage (Goku's righteous fury allowing him to tap into Super Saiyan power for the first time, alt example Bubbles Hardcore mode in Powerpuff Girls), sorrow (while I hated the plot point that led to it, Brutal Legend's Black Tear Ophelia is a cool idea for an example and I can't think of another one) or simple hatred (like that one scientist guy in season 5 of Digimon who became a demon digimon's heart and wound up reduced to a deranged face sticking out of his chest screaming "HATRED!"), just having that one aspect completely overwrite everything else in their brain is a very strong idea. Especially when they learn how to tap into that power reliably.
Let's also not forget 7's resonance with her built up trauma as every terrible point in her life plays in her head at once causing the apocalypsein Season 1 of Umbrella Academy

Gaara in Naruto had an unusual variant, not so much a powerup but a mania - he was perpetually joyful but in a cruel kind of "I'm having a lot of fun killing a lot of people!" way. Not the usual smug murderer like Frieza, but a perpetual deranged smile as he lost himself more and more into the fight.

spoilered the ones that seemed appropriate to spoiler, but Dragonball and PPG are enough of a meme it didn't seem to matter, while less people are likely to have seen the other examples or remember them outright as they are less of a cultural staple as specific examples.

this isn't really related to what you're talking about, but i suddenly realized something weird from the original freeza saga. when goku is collecting energy for the spirit bomb, he says namek doesn't have nearly enough cause freeza and his men killed almost everyone, so he has to use the energy from the stars surrounding planet namek. but..stars don't have life energy either! i'm actually pissed that it took me this long to notice that! :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Maybe a mistranslation - maybe they meant the Star Systems surrounding Namek, other habited planets? Actually DB Super just made me aware of something fun - wishing for immortality for a mortal like a Saiyan is actually a bad idea in the long run. A Saiyan needs their zenkai boosts to get significantly stronger, and any kind of training on top of that to make their bodies more powerful. The way training works is that it damages the muscles by overtaxing them so that they heal stronger. With an immortal body, they can't be beaten half to death so they can't get the Zenkai boosts, and training would probably not do anything because there would be no way to get their muscles stronger if they can't break them down and replenish them. As Goku Black puts it, they need a body that can keep getting stronger as long as they wish it to, and an immortal body would make that harder. Vegeta would have been unkillable certainly, but he also wouldn't have been able to do any damage to the likes of Cell and Buu. It would just be an eternal stalemate.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 6, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Every time I hear that a new show will be CGI I die a little inside. Unless you are willing to dedicate significant time and resources to the project (which most of these shows don’t do because CGI is supposed to be the cheap alternative to 2D animation) the result will probably look like poo poo.

Just make normal cartoons damnit! :argh:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Isn't 95% of the 2D animation CGI nowadays? Maybe I don't understand the vernacular.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1390335806565453825?s=19

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hosed up that CGI cartoons still have not surpassed Jimmy Neutron.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ariza posted:

Isn't 95% of the 2D animation CGI nowadays? Maybe I don't understand the vernacular.

So there's two main kinds of popular animation: Traditional, where each frame is hand drawn (either on paper or on a computer) and then compiled together, and computer-generated, where models are created and moved around within a computer generated environment, almost like a puppet show. Both have their own benefits and drawbacks, but typically it's easier to do traditional animation on the cheap without looking like complete garbage, while CG requires more of a budget to look good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Are there actually still animations where every single frame is drawn? At the very least, the backgrounds in a still shot would be copy pasted, while the moving parts would appear as a layer.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

cant cook creole bream posted:

At the very least, the backgrounds in a still shot would be copy pasted, while the moving parts would appear as a layer.

That's how it worked even when computers weren't involved, with the backgrounds being a separate drawing

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the name for the thing where if a part of the background were going to change in some way, like say if a character were going to burst through a wall in the background in the middle of a scene, that part of the background would be a slightly different color or look different from the rest? I swear there's a name for that, but I can't find a concise enough way to name it for a google search.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Five-Second Spoiler Stones? :v:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What's the name for the thing where if a part of the background were going to change in some way, like say if a character were going to burst through a wall in the background in the middle of a scene, that part of the background would be a slightly different color or look different from the rest? I swear there's a name for that, but I can't find a concise enough way to name it for a google search.

I've seen it listed as a "conspicuously light patch" or a "Fudd flag" on TVTropes, but I think that's just some of their weirdly insular, site-specific terminology rather than an industry term.

My favorite variant was in some of the old Coyote/Roadrunner shorts where the Coyote would be interacting with a background element painted on a cel and it would cause the matte painting background to fall away instead...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's just because a cel is inked & painted differently than a background which would either be watercolored or dry brushed. There was pretty much no way around it with TV deadlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Some modern cartoons still do the "object that will be interacted with is clearly not part of the background" thing even when the technology used should make that obsolete.