Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finally finished season 1 of The Girlfriend Experience. It’s crazy how sterile and non-sexy they were able to make such sexual content, but I do think it’s an interesting project.

I’m not sure that I’m interested in the other seasons. IMDB score, for what little it’s worth, doesn’t look promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I finally finished season 1 of The Girlfriend Experience.

I thought this was the Soderbergh/Sasha Grey movie, but it's a TV show? And it doesn't have Sasha Grey but does involve Soderbergh? Did they do a TV adaptation or something?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sterile and non sexy, the average goon girlfriend experience

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I thought this was the Soderbergh/Sasha Grey movie, but it's a TV show? And it doesn't have Sasha Grey but does involve Soderbergh? Did they do a TV adaptation or something?

More inspired by, but yeah. I’ve also only seen the first season, which I did think was real good. Second season is by the same two people but working separately instead of together - it consists of two separate seven-episode stories. Season 3 is a new creative team. It’s an anthology show basically

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

I binged Season 1 yesterday. Just couldn't get in to it. None of the characters were likeable for me. I do feel like the production value is high, the story and dialogue are tight but the main character didn't work for me.

Hey, you gave it a whole season so clearly it's not something that works for you but I love it. I don't think I've ever seen Australia represented in such a grounded way on TV before and I just find any human interaction that Ray has utterly hilarious.

I understand not liking Ray if you're over the whole conflicted anti hero trope but you liked none of the characters? His brother is heartbreaking, the Brooke Satchwell character is fantastic and the Dewey Crowe and best friend characters are hysterical.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very happy about Mr Inbetween coming back. Shame it’ll be over for good so soon, but three seasons is a good run.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Timby posted:

There are semi-recent photos of the suits that the Jim Henson Creature Shop built for the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie back in 1990. They, uh, have had a hard life. Foam latex doesn't age very well.

Lies, I look fantastic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Mr Show would be an insanely innovative sketch show if it came out today, much less 1995.

/w Bob and David doesn't reach the heights of the best Mr. Show bits, but it does have some pretty great moments. I wish it had gotten a second season but I understand why not.

I think a bout Bob Odenkirk riding around in an ATV yelling "NOW I CAN EAT LIKE A FUCKIN IDIOT" a lot.

Azhais posted:

Sterile and non sexy, the average goon girlfriend experience

What is this joke from 2003 doing here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently a M.O.D.O.K. trailer dropped last week?

https://youtu.be/oSEWdhHBlYU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Apparently a M.O.D.O.K. trailer dropped last week?

https://youtu.be/oSEWdhHBlYU

Yep. And it looks terrible.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yep. And it looks terrible.

Ehhhh i think it looks okay

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First as a tragedy, then as a farce:

https://twitter.com/buzzerblog/status/1389574713282867206?s=19

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NO! GO AWAY JAY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Available on what

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you bet your with jay leno life

he looks completely hosed in that picture

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

Available on what

I am going to put a billion dollars on Peacock

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The late night format is so incredibly stale, Stephen Colbert is just a shadow of his former self, especially with no audience around.
On the other hand Conan has just been so much more interesting when he has been able to do what he likes, doing improv comedy and having fun with people, and not be shackled by the expectations of a big late night show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oasx posted:

The late night format is so incredibly stale, Stephen Colbert is just a shadow of his former self, especially with no audience around.
On the other hand Conan has just been so much more interesting when he has been able to do what he likes, doing improv comedy and having fun with people, and not be shackled by the expectations of a big late night show.

Agree on all aspects. Colbert is super smart and talented, so will watch anything he is involved in, but the lack of audience and natural laugh track has been rough on him. I think he is a good interviewer too, so I hope je pivots more towards longer interviews once he gets the face to face experience back. I love Conan's podcast and almost everything he does. I like his podcast because its less structured and just goes wherever it goes. Like when he had Bill Hader on they spent the entire time talking about their favorite Simpsons bits and it was delightful and then they were like oh btw watch Barry at the very end. So I am excited for his new show because he really does excel at just hanging out with people doing random poo poo instead of asking questions about the upcoming project or doing pre-rehearsed bits.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When TDS, Late Show, and LWT all get audiences and laughter back, it's going to feel really really weird. It's crazy how quickly the silence was normalized.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

swickles posted:

Agree on all aspects. Colbert is super smart and talented, so will watch anything he is involved in, but the lack of audience and natural laugh track has been rough on him.

It is hilarious hearing just his wife laugh at the particularly good jokes and it is an interesting change of pace how laid back/unprofessional things can be at times due to the nature of the current show. So the show has been just as good for me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

It is hilarious hearing just his wife laugh at the particularly good jokes and it is an interesting change of pace how laid back/unprofessional things can be at times due to the nature of the current show. So the show has been just as good for me.

It has a charm for sure, and I still watch clips, but I like him going full ham in front of an audience.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I feel like I used to see Conan's video clips go viral all the time but the past couple years it's been mostly silent. Has he done anything interesting? I think the only good memories now are his travel videos.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Anyone catch the first 3 episodes of Handmaid's Tale?

I've liked it so far. What was the deal with the last scene of the third episode though? I assume that was a flashback to the first season but why was it there and what relevance did it have to the scenes that preceeded it?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Jay Leno is like his entire generation: an unending curse upon humanity.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Jay Leno is like his entire generation: an unending curse upon humanity.

Well, Connor O'Malley showed that Jaywalking is an actual curse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHB0vblDfv4

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I took my time and dragged out season 2 of The Knick. Well just watched the finale and holyShit. Perfection.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I took my time and dragged out season 2 of The Knick. Well just watched the finale and holyShit. Perfection.

That adrenaline shot was the greatest payoff in the history of payoffs, and you don’t even get to see the aftermath! That finale is flawless.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

nate fisher posted:

It's a really good show.

It sucks that COVID killed S3... :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix has canceled The Irregulars (the Sherlock Holmes show without Sherlock) and it must have done real bad for them to kick it to the curb so quickly as it came out at the end of March.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I saw some decent reviews when it first popped up, guess those didn't translate to viewers. I was vaguely intrigued before I found out they had magic powers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It was in my list. Now I won’t even bother.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'd never heard of it. I think you could find some good stories to tell from Watson's POV. Oh well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

I'd never heard of it. I think you could find some good stories to tell from Watson's POV. Oh well.

That is literally the original Sherlock Holmes books and short stories. They're all from Watson's POV because the conceit is he is publishing their adventures as articles.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

That is literally the original Sherlock Holmes books and short stories. They're all from Watson's POV because the conceit is he is publishing their adventures as articles.

I meant like without Sherlock, but you got me, it's been like 25 years since I actually read any Sherlock Holmes. I just sent some to my kindle.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wasnt this guy saying slurs willy nilly at a reality show or something

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shageletic posted:

Wasnt this guy saying slurs willy nilly at a reality show or something

brad davis or jay leno?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just finished s1 of Shadow and Bone, strange to see a bunch of white people airbending and stuff but hey it was fine overall, YA chosen one plot meets fantasy Russia, there was a cute goat, etc etc.

Unfortunately, it had a "twist" "reveal" about halfway into things where Kirigan is actually the Black Heretic all along! that just made me literally say out loud "Oh no. Nooo. That's not how you do this. :cripes:"

Like if you really have to have a "twist" "reveal" about a character, it ought to make them more interesting and not less so, and also probably shouldn't be delivered entirely through exposition from another character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I feel like I used to see Conan's video clips go viral all the time but the past couple years it's been mostly silent. Has he done anything interesting? I think the only good memories now are his travel videos.

He's still doing his thing, I think people just stopped paying attention. I know his ratings haven't been great for the back half of his TBS run.

I'm surprised he never made an effort to refocus more into Clueless Gamer, people loving loved those videos. I guess there's an inherent problem with the format where Conan is not inclined to mindlessly praise games like most early access content providing youtube gamers do. I mean he knows better than to just poo poo on something that's being promoted, but he's not above taking a couple digs at products that were in critical pre-release stages, so maybe the publishers just didn't want to keep doing segments with him when they could instead pay some 22 year old with 100 million followers 50 dollars to tell everyone a broken skyrim remaster is "so amazing you guys".

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 6, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think he shot himself in the foot by going to a new network and making the same show. Like, he could drop the baggage of Late Night but... kept the terrible monologues and stiff canned interviews? He mixed it up a bit with pre-taped segments, but overall it felt more tired than innovative.

The best stuff he ever did was just goofing around during the writers strike. It showed how great he can be at controlled chaos and improvising. Going back to a stale format when he had the chance to play to his strengths was a bad move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Andy Richter might also be a huge albatross around his neck. Like I never want Andy to shut up or go away when I watch Conan, I'm never thinking "I wish Andy wasn't in this bit" but at the same time Andy is never involved with any of the truly legendary skits or remotes, and he was conspicuously absent during Late Night's best years.