Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tommy the Newt posted:

If you know someone with a fleet carrier you can twink commodities easily, you can drop off a bunch of stuff then set the sell price at 5% of the galactic average - it's close enough to being free to be worth it versus manually scooping stuff in space. I think there's about 1000 tons of platinum on my carrier for boostrapping.

drat, that's a neat trick. I generally play solo (or in a small group), and none of the people I play with have fleet carriers :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Wibla posted:

drat, that's a neat trick. I generally play solo (or in a small group), and none of the people I play with have fleet carriers :v:

Add me in game if you want to use one without joining the Frogs. But you can also join the Frogs if you fancy it, comes with no obligations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I know everyone is kinda jaded, but this video is delightful. Worth watching all 6 mins, but if you're in a hurry skip to the part where the Eagle lands and watches the Corvette do stuff. The sounds and visuals of standing on the ground watching big ships blowing stuff up in a light atmosphere... I dunno, I'm into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt4qsE9wt18

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah I kept my expectations extraordinarily low. I've been intentionally taking a break from the game and staying off the alpha so I don't get burned out/jaded ahead of release but I drunkenly stumbled on to try it last night. Just walking around the station or being able to step foot outside of my ship increased ~my immersion~ by a lot and that works for me. The combat may blow and everything else may end up being a pointless waste of time but that alone made me happy.

I mean they shouldn't release garbage content and it's probably horribly overpriced for the state it's apparently in but I'm a man of simple and strange pleasures. Also I hope literally everything isn't unbound for foot controls when it goes live, having to tell the game how to turn left and figure out where I want 500 key binds right off the bat is annoying.

Edit: Ok I accidentally entered a ground combat zone and that has to be some of the worst shooting I've ever experienced. Everything was a massive bullet sponge, ammo count is way too loving low, and it was just bad. Like everything about the shooting was bad. It feels convoluted and tedious. Wow was it bad.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 3, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Parkingtigers posted:

I know everyone is kinda jaded, but this video is delightful. Worth watching all 6 mins, but if you're in a hurry skip to the part where the Eagle lands and watches the Corvette do stuff. The sounds and visuals of standing on the ground watching big ships blowing stuff up in a light atmosphere... I dunno, I'm into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt4qsE9wt18

This is chill and all but I'm not sure what the knees element adds that the external camera wouldn't?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Tommy the Newt posted:

Add me in game if you want to use one without joining the Frogs. But you can also join the Frogs if you fancy it, comes with no obligations.

Cool! I'll have to look into joining the frogs as well. Not that I play all that much, but being able to help out where I can is always nice.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I decided to change my perspective of my second account. Instead of 'a boring grind to get parity with my main account', I decided to have an adventure and find my own rings to mine and then use the ingame market thing to find buyers for what I mine. I ended up fitting a Cobra Mk III for deep core mining and found a Platinum hotspot from which, over a few trips, I harvested enough platinum and random core gems to buy an Asp Scout, and then a trip later, upgrade to an Asp Explorer.

10 hours later in total and I have a fully A-pimped Asp Explorer with the same deep core mining loadout and 96+6 tons of cargo. Python shouldn't take too much longer to get the money for, and then I get to go on a system adventure to find a station that sells one.

The game is actually quite a bit more fun when I change my expectations from "must get max everything NOW or game boring" to "this is an adventure and the goal is to have fun exploring a galaxy."

Also, I haven't done any combat at all with the second, so I'm still at Harmless rating, and I haven't had a single ship try to interdict me for my riches. I wonder if the two are connected.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ambaire posted:

The game is actually quite a bit more fun when I change my expectations from "must get max everything NOW or game boring" to "this is an adventure and the goal is to have fun exploring a galaxy."

No no, don't tell people this, they might get the wrong idea about Elite :v:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Wibla posted:

No no, don't tell people this, they might get the wrong idea about Elite :v:

Expectations really are everything.

Before (years ago with my main), I was going from system to system furiously docking at every station raging out "WHY DOESN'T THIS STATION SELL WHAT I NEED!!!"

Now (with this second account), I'm going on an adventure and seeing what they sell. And if they sell my dream item, I go "OMG I can get the magical thingie!"

Third party sites ruin the adventure, and I say this having used them exclusively, to the point where I was just doing stuff based on what a site told me to do, instead of what I wanted to do.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 3, 2021

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

It depends which parts of the game interest you.

Participating in combat as well as most shared group activities involves a specific set of upgrades that can't be unlocked through anything other than a very specific route. Playing 'emergently' is fine, and the game is ostensibly designed for it, but there are still large segments of it that you can't access without 3rd party tools or going significantly 'out of your way' to achieve them. There is also a fair amount of incorrect and conflicting information provided by the game itself that makes emergent play at times very frustrating, even with the best will in the world.

It's cool that you're enjoying yourself and I don't think any long-term player survives Elite without a certain reliance on whimsy, but your experience of it and tolerance for it is your own; no need to make blanket judgements about how others choose to engage with it. As I said in discord, if you want to play it in a casual and scattershot way you shouldn't really need the validation of a group to do that. Go do that and have fun your way, by all means.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

I decided to change my perspective of my second account.

This is how a lot of not-overly-online people play the game. And they might end up playing a few hours every other week, but they are generally fun or relaxing gaming sessions. The problem is that the second they google anything it takes them down a youtube rabbit hole that will make them eventually burn out and hate the game. One of the best parts about this game in VR is that it makes it really hard to use 3rd party sites.

I'm half tempted to erase my save again when Odyssey drops.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I just bought this game. It's weird, but pretty fun.

What's a good way to set up weapons groups? I have a ton of scanners, guns, and missiles, and switching between them feels a little clunky. Right now:

Group 1: primary 1 laser, secondary 1 multi-cannon

Group 2: primary 2 seeker missiles, secondary countermeasures

Group 3: various scanners

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

William Bear posted:

I just bought this game. It's weird, but pretty fun.

What's a good way to set up weapons groups? I have a ton of scanners, guns, and missiles, and switching between them feels a little clunky. Right now:

Group 1: primary 1 laser, secondary 1 multi-cannon

Group 2: primary 2 seeker missiles, secondary countermeasures

Group 3: various scanners

You can bind countermeasures to specific binds. I have separate buttons on my HOTAS for chaff and heatsink. Most of my ships just have two fire groups: Weapons in group 1 and scanners in group 2. I have my interdictor on primary fire in my weapons group and D-Scanner on the same button as my data scanner in the second group since they only work in supercruise and the weapons and data scanner only work on normal space.

You can do stuff like binding rails and missiles to the same trigger so you hold for rail and press for missile but I generally like simplicity on my ships and only run one or two weapon types. Most of my PvE ships are all multicannon with a rail for popping SCBs, my PvP ships are plasma/rail meta.

edit: most of the scanners are a waste of time and you don't really need to assign/bind them. If you're doing a specific thing you you can buy that scanner then bind it for the task (like wake scanning or whatever) but there's not a lot of point in fitting and binding everything.

kemikalkadet fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 3, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The answer also differs radically for combat ships versus non-combat ships.

Combat (i.e. pure combat, PvE or PvP, including my mission runner which is intended to be able to handle combat with single enemies and will almost never be in unexplored space)): don't bind any scanners other than maybe the D Scanner. Put all your main guns on button one, and utility guns on button two, have a different group for each utility gun, maybe another group for a mix of utility guns. E.g. my Corvette has all its MCs as button one on two groups, its 3-Seeker Missile on button 2 on one group, its two 1-Feedback Rails as button 2 on the second group, and the missile on one and the rails on two on the third. D scanner is bound... somewhere.

Non combat (explorer/bubble hopper, basically): D Scanner on 1 (along with gun, if i'm intending to do a Guardian beacon or something), DSS on 2 on one group, all other scanners on another group.

If I could have different binds for mouse button 4/5 for different modes I would, I'm typically set up with 'enter/leave FSS' on one of them, and 'leave DSS' on the other for exploration, but having target selection on them would also be big and clever - mayeb 'next hostile' and 'previous subtarget' would be good, for instance.

And yeah, bind countermeasures to keyboard buttons, firing them off fire groups is asking to either accidentally fire them when you're not intending to, or find it hard to find them when you need to. I have sinks on N, SCBs on B, chaff on V.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ambaire posted:

Before (years ago with my main), I was going from system to system furiously docking at every station raging out "WHY DOESN'T THIS STATION SELL WHAT I NEED!!!"

Now (with this second account), I'm going on an adventure and seeing what they sell. And if they sell my dream item, I go "OMG I can get the magical thingie!"

Third party sites ruin the adventure, and I say this having used them exclusively, to the point where I was just doing stuff based on what a site told me to do, instead of what I wanted to do.

Ok this actually sounds pretty fun. I’ve been min-maxing like nuts too.

I know there is an option to erase your current game and start over in the main menu, but how do you make a second account to start over on?

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

You could always lock up all your funds in ships, store them somewhere and pretend they don't exist if you want to start over. Resetting your account seems mad to me, but each to their own.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I don’t want to reset, but if I could start a new one alongside my existing one that would be cool

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

You can only do that by buying a second account and switching between them in the launcher.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I'm still loving the game just casually doing whatever I want.

Some real bullshit happened though, where as my transport type 9 I was interdicted by pirate npcs and killed. I somehow obtained a fine in the process of dying (I think I exploded next to a police officer or something, I don't understand how) and then I went to space jail.

The jail was Like 200LY away from where I was, in my lovely Type9 that had like no jump range.

I had to summon my AspX and I quit for the 90min it took for the stupid ship to arrive.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Setting goals and putting a pen in it once it's not fun is how I play. I'm 90% done getting the stuff I need for Guardian tech.

Except Epsilon scans.

I don't feel like going and grinding this out, so I'm not, time to chill and shoot stuff. Eventually I'll have enough Anti-Xeno stuff to hunt them. Too bad the Fed Corvette is apparently poo poo at hunting Xeno since there aren't any huge AX guns.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Just popping in to say I've put my Thrustmaster HOTAS One and T.Flight pedals up on the SA Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966917#post514488926

They made a pretty great beginner setup for E:D and MSFS2020.

EDIT: Well that went quick!

Rot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 5, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Rot posted:

Just popping in to say I've put my Thrustmaster HOTAS One and T.Flight pedals up on the SA Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3966917#post514488926

They made a pretty great beginner setup for E:D and MSFS2020.

I'm on that poo poo like white on rice

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Maybe two years ago I played Frontier: Elite II on my Amiga quite a bit. I actually had fun making a Google Sheet with prices of goods and figuring out routes manually. And realistically there are only a few goods worth trading so keeping track of those is not that tedious. I should start doing that in E:D also. I'm not really a minmaxer and now that I have a nice Asp Explorer and a T9 I don't really have any goals. I just play to relax.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is the VR motion controls mod these days? Worth it? Sometimes I just want to sit down and play and not mess with my HOTAS

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Are fleet carriers still a massive money sink and not worth the hassle?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

Are fleet carriers still a massive money sink and not worth the hassle?

They're a money sink, but relative to income, not a massive one, and a big savings on hassle, but whether that's true for you depends on what you're doing with the game. If you are flying combat ships around the ubble between warzones, they're great, if you're exploring, there's not much point.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

They're a money sink, but relative to income, not a massive one, and a big savings on hassle, but whether that's true for you depends on what you're doing with the game. If you are flying combat ships around the ubble between warzones, they're great, if you're exploring, there's not much point.

The costs seem insane to me - but I haven't played since 2016 and it seems the income rates are....more than a little boosted.

Kinda wondering what to aim for because I want to return for Odyssey - wondering if grinding out a fleet carrier makes sense...and gently caress if I know what for though because it seems the game changed a LOT.

Edit: When I quit I had just under 700m and that was 'rich'....

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Made it to the Elephant's Trunk Nebula, explored several unexplored systems on the way, including one with a water planet. Also found a few (already discovered) earthlikes and took lots of pretty pictures while listening to music :).

Martian fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 5, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

The costs seem insane to me - but I haven't played since 2016 and it seems the income rates are....more than a little boosted.

Kinda wondering what to aim for because I want to return for Odyssey - wondering if grinding out a fleet carrier makes sense...and gently caress if I know what for though because it seems the game changed a LOT.

Edit: When I quit I had just under 700m and that was 'rich'....

You can do about 120M an hour at maximum reliable income rates at the moment. Getting a fleet carrier is still a substantial investment of time, but it's not one I've regretted.

But... yeah, what you wanna do with it really matters. Its at its best supporting doing Conflict Zones.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Martian posted:

Made it to the Elephant's Trunk Nebula, explored several unexplored systems on the way, including one with a water planet. Also found a few (already discovered) earthlikes and took lots of pretty pictures while listening to music :).

Most enjoyable way to play the game imo, very chill. Great pics!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I wish the carrier costs and use were more along the line of take one out into the deep, and then use my "local" exploraconda, find neat stuff around the area, switch to my python mining ship for all those sweet rings and planets I find, plus the required tritium, and a cargo hold back on the carrier big enough to hold a long journeys worth of deep black exploration but not make me go broke on the upkeep while I'm gone.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

toplitzin posted:

I wish the carrier costs and use were more along the line of take one out into the deep, and then use my "local" exploraconda, find neat stuff around the area, switch to my python mining ship for all those sweet rings and planets I find, plus the required tritium, and a cargo hold back on the carrier big enough to hold a long journeys worth of deep black exploration but not make me go broke on the upkeep while I'm gone.

Actually kind of surprised at the lack of an exploration cap ship. :shrug:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah, so to take my ships on my own carrier is what, 5 bil then 5-8 million a week if I want to haul my own repair, refuel, and cartographer around.

Sure it'd take a bit to drain with a billion in reserve, but can I rack up 10 mill a week in a few solo adventuring/exploration to pay for everything while I'm outside the bubble? Maybe?

I haven't picked up the game in a month or so and that kind of cash drain/penalty just for not playing would suck.

Can you sell the stuff you mine and put on the carrier outside the bubble or do you have to come back in, dump it all into your type 9 and fly it to the nearest "real" station?

Off like to think I'd jump my carrier ahead 500Ly, then explore my way to it

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I'm kinda pissed that I had to worry about logging back into the game and decommissioning the carrier so it wouldn't bankrupt me while I wasn't playing.

A game designer who gave a poo poo would simply have the carrier disappear from the game and no longer charge upkeep if the player fails to login to the game for a few weeks. But noooooo

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ajaxify posted:

I'm kinda pissed that I had to worry about logging back into the game and decommissioning the carrier so it wouldn't bankrupt me while I wasn't playing.

A game designer who gave a poo poo would simply have the carrier disappear from the game and no longer charge upkeep if the player fails to login to the game for a few weeks. But noooooo

Yeah, they really didn't think it through, I feel. I think it would be decent if there was a 'mothball' option, where for say, 20mil or something, you could pay to effectively put your carrier in storage so that although you can't use it, you don't have to pay for it. Then whenever you want it again, you just pay another 20mil 'administrative fee' or whatever, then you get it back and the upkeep resumes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I went back into the black again, though only found one properly unexplored system so far :v:

Went up a few hundred Ly before heading towards Sag A* but some other people had the same idea before me.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

toplitzin posted:

Yeah, so to take my ships on my own carrier is what, 5 bil then 5-8 million a week if I want to haul my own repair, refuel, and cartographer around.

Sure it'd take a bit to drain with a billion in reserve, but can I rack up 10 mill a week in a few solo adventuring/exploration to pay for everything while I'm outside the bubble? Maybe?

I haven't picked up the game in a month or so and that kind of cash drain/penalty just for not playing would suck.

Can you sell the stuff you mine and put on the carrier outside the bubble or do you have to come back in, dump it all into your type 9 and fly it to the nearest "real" station?

Off like to think I'd jump my carrier ahead 500Ly, then explore my way to it

I realise that sometimes people just want to own one, and there's value in the sense of scale... but I feel compelled to say that carriers don't really have any exploration benefits beyond reaching some distant stars at the edge of the galaxy, or ferrying a group of lazy friends who don't want to jump themselves.

They're mostly useful for people who switch ships a lot and like to park next to a spot they're working on, like a CZ, hotspot, outpost or AX location. They're significantly slower moving than a good exploration ship, and if it's to get access to Universal Cartographics you have to accept selling data at a 25% loss or just go to an existing station anyway. But yeah, you can cover upkeep costs this way.

Anything you sell to your carrier market comes out of your pocket, you have to fill it with cash to cover transactions, basically, so you can't make money by selling things to yourself. You'd be better off doing your mining before you go to fund the trip.

Also it's worth mentioning that mining Tritium while travelling is extremely time consuming, don't count on refilling the tank as you go because it'll take forever. Best to bring along enough Tritium to go the distance.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wibla posted:

I went back into the black again, though only found one properly unexplored system so far :v:

Went up a few hundred Ly before heading towards Sag A* but some other people had the same idea before me.

It's not a bad strategy! Coming at the core from any angle other than straight bubble--->core, on the disk, will net you new systems. Try adjusting again, maybe orbiting the center for a bit or plunging straight "down" through the disk.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've often thoguht about using my carrier for exploration just in terms of it saving some IRL time to set it to jump to somwhere, come back 20 minutes later having been doing something else, and repeat, but honestly, it just kind of drags your attention away from whatever it is you're doing, to keep checking on it. It would help if the pathing could handle more than one jump at a time, but it can't, because in theory the target system could be full by the time you arrive. Even if it's literally never had a fleet carrier in it before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tommy the Newt posted:

I realise that sometimes people just want to own one, and there's value in the sense of scale... but I feel compelled to say that carriers don't really have any exploration benefits beyond reaching some distant stars at the edge of the galaxy, or ferrying a group of lazy friends who don't want to jump themselves.

They're mostly useful for people who switch ships a lot and like to park next to a spot they're working on, like a CZ, hotspot, outpost or AX location. They're significantly slower moving than a good exploration ship, and if it's to get access to Universal Cartographics you have to accept selling data at a 25% loss or just go to an existing station anyway. But yeah, you can cover upkeep costs this way.

Anything you sell to your carrier market comes out of your pocket, you have to fill it with cash to cover transactions, basically, so you can't make money by selling things to yourself. You'd be better off doing your mining before you go to fund the trip.

Also it's worth mentioning that mining Tritium while travelling is extremely time consuming, don't count on refilling the tank as you go because it'll take forever. Best to bring along enough Tritium to go the distance.

I 100% realize this and am wishfully thinking fdev could make something useful.