Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea if I end up with it I'm definitely going to pick up a cooling. Do those run off usb?

Edit: Actually after some quick reading, is it more important to just lift the laptop off the surface, don't necessarily need fans?

Raising it helps, but a decent fan/pad combo is easier, more comfortable, and better cooling. For a 2070 in particular spend the extra $20-25 and get one (especially since you're paying $1200+). Yeah they are USB usually.

KillHour posted:

Best performing gaming laptop for ~$1500? Only thing they care about is performance since it's a desktop replacement.

Edit: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...p?skuId=6448936 ?

Maybe. Tuf doesn't have the kind of good design as the ROG, so I'd probably say its about on the level of MSI, maybe slightly below HP's/Gigabyte. I'd maybe do this instead for the AMD GPU:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14977022-h...teSearchV2Algo1

Next step up would be like https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...-grey/6448848.p

(Hint: The 3080 ain't much better than the 3070)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrust fault
Nov 3, 2004
ok
Are there any 15" laptops that I can play games like Civ VI and Valorant on medium/high settings, can run 2 or 3 VMs at a time, have good build quality, and don't have super loud fans that are always on?

I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y520 but the build quality is pretty poo poo, the main hinge is about to snap. The fans are also almost always on and are super loud, even after taking it apart and using compressed air to remove all the dust.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

thrust fault posted:

Are there any 15" laptops that I can play games like Civ VI and Valorant on medium/high settings, can run 2 or 3 VMs at a time, have good build quality, and don't have super loud fans that are always on?

I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y520 but the build quality is pretty poo poo, the main hinge is about to snap. The fans are also almost always on and are super loud, even after taking it apart and using compressed air to remove all the dust.

Run 2 or 3 VMs: This totally depends on the VMs, but I'm guessing you'll need 16GB? Maybe 32. You probably want something you can upgrade RAM in. You'll want a decent CPU.

Play Civ VI: Decent CPU here is most important, I'd also suggest a 1660ti or above. You don't strictly need it for Civ 6/Valorant but it'll give you lots of headroom for the next batch of games with moderate requirements. You might be ok with a 1650 or something though.

Build Quality: Yeah the Y520 sucks. I think Asus ROG has great build quality for the money. Gigabyte Auros is ok. MSI build quality isn't as great.

What's your budget? Ideally would be a Asus G14 for ~$1,500, though its probably overkill for gaming. GREAT build quality though. You'd use the Ryzen CPU though I think you'd want to add a 32GB RAM chip and bring it up to 40GB for the VMs (depending).

thrust fault
Nov 3, 2004
ok

Lockback posted:

Run 2 or 3 VMs: This totally depends on the VMs, but I'm guessing you'll need 16GB? Maybe 32. You probably want something you can upgrade RAM in. You'll want a decent CPU.

Play Civ VI: Decent CPU here is most important, I'd also suggest a 1660ti or above. You don't strictly need it for Civ 6/Valorant but it'll give you lots of headroom for the next batch of games with moderate requirements. You might be ok with a 1650 or something though.

Build Quality: Yeah the Y520 sucks. I think Asus ROG has great build quality for the money. Gigabyte Auros is ok. MSI build quality isn't as great.

What's your budget? Ideally would be a Asus G14 for ~$1,500, though its probably overkill for gaming. GREAT build quality though. You'd use the Ryzen CPU though I think you'd want to add a 32GB RAM chip and bring it up to 40GB for the VMs (depending).

Thanks for this! Budget I was thinking of $1200 but could go as high as $1500 for high build quality.
G14 - are you referring to this?
Re RAM, are there issues having RAM lopsided, ie 8GB + 32GB?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

thrust fault posted:

Thanks for this! Budget I was thinking of $1200 but could go as high as $1500 for high build quality.
G14 - are you referring to this?
Re RAM, are there issues having RAM lopsided, ie 8GB + 32GB?

I think it's worth stepping up to the 3060 g14, or since you mentioned wanting a 15", this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6451627

Probably worth the extra $300.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Debating picking up a replacement laptop now, before my current one bugs out on me. I'm really bad at eyeing value for money; folks have any thoughts on something like this?
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834155638

I have an MSI currently and I've been pretty happy with it, it's just getting a big long in the tooth.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

LeSquide posted:

Debating picking up a replacement laptop now, before my current one bugs out on me. I'm really bad at eyeing value for money; folks have any thoughts on something like this?
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834155638

I have an MSI currently and I've been pretty happy with it, it's just getting a big long in the tooth.

Seems expensive for the specs. What are you looking for in a replacement? Build quality, specs, weight? You can get a refurbished dell G5 SE with similar specs for almost half that price.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't spend that much money on a 5600M especially if you don't have to. That is not a particularly good deal unless you absolutely cannot but an nvidia card for some reason.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm getting worried about my laptop and I feel like now might be a good time to upgrade before it does something terrible. I'm typing this on an ASUS X510U I bought about 3 years ago, in Canada. Now I'm in Australia, if that matters.
It's been OK and my previous laptop was also an ASUS that did quite well for about 3 years. This computer is running an 8th gen i5, and I'd like to get either a 10th or 11th gen i5 or something equivalent from AMD. I'm also planning to buy a desktop for home use, this laptop has been my dual work/play machine ever since I got it and I plan to not play games on the laptop (well, not play games at work anymore). I'll use it for mainly boring office tasks, Word/Excel/Powerpoint and the occassional esoteric statistical or analytical program - I'm a scientist but I don't do the really crunchy data-intensive research that I know really works a computer (I have friends who do that kind of thing and I know my computer doesn't need the power theirs do). What I want is reliability and durability over all, and something that runs more smoothly and loads files more quickly than this one.

I've been poking around Newegg Australia and the 15" options from Acer, HP, and Lenovo seem interesting. I do not want a touch screen, I find them irritating. I use a separate monitor and a wireless mouse & keyboard setup at work so it's not a big deal 99% of the time but sometimes I take my laptop to a meeting or something. Having said that, a 14" laptop might work well. So, uh, either 14" or 15". I'm staying away from Dell, if I can.

Budget is flexible, I view this as an investment in my career. Let's start with what's available at around $1500 Australian, or up to about $1200 USD. Thanks in advance!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The ThinkPad T15P looks to be the best business laptop under AUD2K right now.
https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-t-series/ThinkPad-T15p-G1/p/20TN0000AU

It's $1650 with "instant savings" which is good because that means you should also be able to use a discount code on top.
If you sign up to the mailing list you should get a 10% off code.

Has a H CPU and a low end dGPU in it.
If you want battery life that works against you especially since the included battery is only 68Wh.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If anyone here is using a Razer Blade Advanced '21 QHD, here's how to override the stupid 60Hz iGPU limitation. With some tweaking I've found this laptop to be awesome.

quote:

I've been using Razer Blades since back in the day of the 14" models. Things have gotten much better over the years. However, if you buy the new Blade 15 Advanced "21 QHD 240hz (RTX 3070/3080) there are some software flaws when you boot the OEM Windows install that really neuter the potential for this laptop to be awesome such as the 60Hz limitation when using the iGPU. Luckily, this can be remedied with CRU and some quick tweaking. Here's how to fix it and turn this from a 'Meh' gaming laptop, to the best portable gaming laptop on the market. The thing that puts this laptop on the top of best portable gaming laptops is its support for QHD G-SYNC which is switchable (known as "mux switch") from inside of Windows rather than on the BIOS like some other laptops which support G-Sync. NVIDIA calls it Advanced Optimus. The automatic implementation is flawed, so I will also teach you how to easily and quickly switch between GPU's manually.

(these tweaks should also work for the Blade 15 BASE QHD but I have not confirmed it.)

60hz limitation when using iGPU: this is by far the biggest omission by NVIDIA/Intel/Razer. It almost made me return the laptop. By default, the screen runs at 60hz when the NVIDIA GPU is not being used. If you are used to high refresh rate screens, this is very jarring. Thankfully, its just an arbitrary software limitation that can easily be bypassed using the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU). https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU Open CRU and you are gonna see the default resolution listed on the top under "Detailed Resolutions". Select it, and click Edit. Go down to the Frequency section, and change the refresh rate from 60.0Hz (or 59.xHz, whatever it shows) to whatever your desired value is. I recommend 120Hz as its a good compromise between smoothness and battery life. I chose 144Hz because I'm very sensitive to fluidity and this is what my desktop screen defaults to. Click OK. Click OK again to exit CRU. RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. You should now have the higher refresh rate as default! If you want, you can go back to CRU and instead of selecting Edit, click Add..., and just add other refresh rates so you can switch to lower/higher refresh rates if you want. I added 60, 90, 120. (I do not know if this works with the Blade 15 QHD BASE, someone please confirm.)

NVIDIA GPU/iGPU fast manual switching icon: the laptop is capable of automatically switching between the Intel iGPU and the G-SYNC enabled RTX GPU, but this automatic switching can be janky especially with Vulkan games like Valheim and Doom. It's best to manually switch to the discrete RTX GPU then switch back to Optimus, and it only takes a second if you enable a handy taskbar icon. Here's how. Rick click the Windows desktop. Select NVIDIA Control Panel. Look at the top of the control panel, and click the "Desktop" drop down menu. Click "Show Dynamic Display Mode Tray Icon." You now have a new green icon in your taskbar next to your Windows clock and volume icons. Double click this green icon to select "NVIDIA GPU Only" whenever you are about to start gaming, and then switch it back to "Automatic Select" or "Optimus" when you are done. You are now in full control of the GPU switching, rather than hoping Advanced Optimus will handle it gracefully. And it only takes you a couple of seconds to switch back and forth.

G-Sync - Make sure its enabled!: this is THE reason you are paying top bucks for this laptop over a Zephyrus. G-Sync, NVIDIA's excellent proprietary form of VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) is a game changer for laptops, where framerates are less consistent than on desktop. If you wanna understand G-Sync/VRR go watch some Digital Foundry videos on the subject. Its awesome. On your newly enabled GPU switching green icon on your task bar, select NVIDIA GPU Only. Now open the NVIDIA Control Panel again. There is now a new menu section for "Set Up G-Sync" go inside and make sure G-Sync is enabled for both Fullscreen and Windowed applications. Next, go to the "Manage 3D Settings" section of the control panel. Scroll to the bottom and make sure V-Sync is ON. Yes I know some of you don't like V-Sync, but it works differently when G-Sync is enabled, and its needed. V-Sync will actually be off until you reach the 240Hz max refresh rate for this screen, which is unlikely on most games. The rest of the time G-Sync will be working to keep frame pacing consistent with no tearing or judder.

Windows Color Profile: notice how the colors on the screen look different between the iGPU and the dGPU? Inexplicably, Razer is using different color profiles on each GPU. What you wanna do is make sure Windows is using the same color profile for both GPU's. Here is a profile someone made that works well on the RB15 Advanced QHD screen (CAUTION: May not work well on the BASE model) https://www.dropbox.com/s/execn1sokpnaoyi/lg_32GK650F_user.icm?dl=0 You'll have to follow this next step on both the iGPU and the dGPU, just switch with your new taskbar icon. On your Windows 10 search bar, look for "Color Management" On the top, under the Device line, there is a checkbox that says "Use my settings for this device". Check that box. On the lower left, select "Add...". Select "Browse..." Look for the color profile you just downloaded, and add it. Select it as default. Repeat the step with the other GPU.

This is it for now. After doing all of this, you have eliminated the inexplicably dumb 60Hz limitation, have taken control of your GPU switching, have made sure G-Sync is working correctly which is the killer feature for this laptop, and made colors better.

Please feel free to add more tips below. If you follow this guide and take screenshots of every step, I'll add them to the guide, I didn't have time to do this myself.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

quote:

Inexplicably, Razer is using different color profiles on each GPU.

what is wrong with these people honestly.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Any recommendations for a laptop backpack that will for a 17.3" laptop, and also doesn't look gamer-ey? Need to travel for work next week and need to bring the Asus G17 I just bought with me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

a laptop backpack that will for a 17.3" laptop

doesn't look gamer-ey

travel for work next week

need to bring to work the gaming laptop I just bought

:hmmyes:

Pick a lane, my good dude

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

:hmmyes:

Pick a lane, my good dude

Well, I don't normally travel for work, and there's no reason I can't use it for work and gaming.

I just don't want to be carrying the thing around without a case of some sort.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify. I bought the laptop for gaming and occasional work from home stuff. I wanted the bigger screen as I work remotely with Solidworks and also like a bigger screen for gaming. I would have gladly bought a more understated laptop if I could have found one, but this was the best deal I could find.

I'm going to our plant in another state for a few days and just need it for remote work. I might be doing this once or twice a year.

Edit 2: Ordered an Everki Atlas.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 9, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there such a thing as a basic gaming laptop with a webcam that's < 15" screen size and is at least sort of thin and light?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Is there such a thing as a basic gaming laptop with a webcam that's < 15" screen size and is at least sort of thin and light?

The Razer Blade Stealth has 13.3 inch models but they’re really expensive for the specs.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Define basic gaming and you could potentially unravel the secrets of the universe

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Never mind!

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 9, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cicero posted:

I think it's either compromise on a 15.6" screen or go ROG and just get a $20 webcam that you keep in your bag.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lockback posted:

I think it's either compromise on a 15.6" screen or go ROG and just get a $20 webcam that you keep in your bag.

Or if you somehow manage to see an in-stock Flow X13 that isn't force bundled with the external 3080.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 9, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Ah, that's too bad. Oh well.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I tried looking it up but couldn't tell, does the Asus strix g15 3070 have g sync?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Define basic gaming and you could potentially unravel the secrets of the universe

Let me tell you about the 42 games of basic gaming of which you seek,

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cicero posted:

XPS 15 with the infinity edge screen sort of qualifies

You run in to Laws of Physics heat dissipation problems with an i7 and a 2070 GPU in a clamshell opening package that in total has the same volume as a red house brick

Option B is take the (IMO, very mild) performance hit and go the eGPU route, and lean on internal graphics for when actually On The Go

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Edit 2: Ordered an Everki Atlas.

You made the right choice. I travel for a living and thats my backpack- its v good.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Cicero posted:

Acer Triton 300 se is the only thing that ticks all of those boxes on the market atm iirc. Its 14", got a webcam, got a gtx 3060.

Other than that, the biggest graphic card on a 14" laptop is a GTX 1650. XMG / schenker sells one, and the Hp envy 14 and the rog flow 13 fall into that category.

I'd advise just buying a little portable webcam and an Asus G14 though tbh, for what you're looking for. Its not like webcams are particularly heavy, you can just keep it in the laptop bag.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Sorry if this is the wrong thread. I just got Huawei Matebook 2020 I5, which is supposed to get up to ten hours of battery. While I didn't expect that at all, I am probably getting around five instead. However, I've had it plugged into a second monitor all day so I was wondering if sending a signal to a second monitor really impacts battery life in general, or I might have a funky battery.

I might test a full day on just the laptop itself, but I figured 'yes, connecting to a monitor for two screens eats battery' would set my mind at ease.

Other then that, this is a gorgeous laptop, the screen really is as good as people say.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

henpod posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. I just got Huawei Matebook 2020 I5, which is supposed to get up to ten hours of battery. While I didn't expect that at all, I am probably getting around five instead. However, I've had it plugged into a second monitor all day so I was wondering if sending a signal to a second monitor really impacts battery life in general, or I might have a funky battery.

I might test a full day on just the laptop itself, but I figured 'yes, connecting to a monitor for two screens eats battery' would set my mind at ease.

Other then that, this is a gorgeous laptop, the screen really is as good as people say.

Here is a quick review I saw:

quote:

Battery Runtimes - MateBook only with 41.7 Wh battery
The battery capacity is once again 41.7 Wh, and it is the smallest battery within the comparison group. The runtimes are therefore only average. 7:20 hours for our Wi-Fi test and 9:40 hours for video playback (both at 150 nits) are not bad, but the competition lasts longer. The runtime drops to 5:20 hours (-2 hours) when we run the Wi-Fi test at the maximum display brightness.

Did you have Wifi on? Any wireless stuff or bluetooth? How bright is your screen and keyboard? What are you doing with it? Using browsers? Yes, a 2nd monitor will consume more power. Is your battery getting down close to 0 or are you just estimating based on 50%? The Windows battery thing isn't always accurate.

~5 hours with 2 monitors and medium brightness with wifi on and actually using it to do stuff sounds about right for a 41 Whr battery. Keep in mind "Video playback" with today's even iGPUs is incredibly power efficient. If you're instead having gmail open, maybe Word, maybe some other websites, whatever your power consumption will be a lot higher.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Lockback posted:

Here is a quick review I saw:

Did you have Wifi on? Any wireless stuff or bluetooth? How bright is your screen and keyboard? What are you doing with it? Using browsers? Yes, a 2nd monitor will consume more power. Is your battery getting down close to 0 or are you just estimating based on 50%? The Windows battery thing isn't always accurate.

~5 hours with 2 monitors and medium brightness with wifi on and actually using it to do stuff sounds about right for a 41 Whr battery. Keep in mind "Video playback" with today's even iGPUs is incredibly power efficient. If you're instead having gmail open, maybe Word, maybe some other websites, whatever your power consumption will be a lot higher.

Hey, thanks for the reply :).

Yep, WiFi was on the whole time, 50% brightness, one monitor connected, chrome with about 5 tabs open with intermittent YouTube and browsing, MS word. No idea about keyboard brightness, I guess it was on whenever I typed.

I ran the battery from 100% to 20% in about 4.5 hours, so I guess a run to empty would have been 5-5.5 hrs.

Maybe it is normal, on Reddit some people claim they are getting 7-9 hours, so I dunno.

henpod fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 10, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That sounds totally normal then. I bet if you just watched Netflix on 20% brightness or lower and no external monitor and headphone sound you'd get closer to 10. There's some things you can look at doing in power settings to get a bit more juice but I don't think you'd get a lot more. You might find that you get more out of that last 20% too. If it was totally accurate you'd be at almost 6 hours but it's not always totally accurate so it could be more.

It's a power sipping laptop but it's also a tiny battery. Those reddit posts are from people who are doing everything they can to reduce battery usage, so don't think you have anything wrong. You were averaging about 6,000mW drain which is pretty low for actively using it across multiple tasks AND two monitors.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Lockback posted:

That sounds totally normal then. I bet if you just watched Netflix on 20% brightness or lower and no external monitor and headphone sound you'd get closer to 10. There's some things you can look at doing in power settings to get a bit more juice but I don't think you'd get a lot more. You might find that you get more out of that last 20% too. If it was totally accurate you'd be at almost 6 hours but it's not always totally accurate so it could be more.

It's a power sipping laptop but it's also a tiny battery. Those reddit posts are from people who are doing everything they can to reduce battery usage, so don't think you have anything wrong. You were averaging about 6,000mW drain which is pretty low for actively using it across multiple tasks AND two monitors.

Alright, I won't worry about it then :). I was going to do a fresh install of windows, but seeing that this is a new laptop and there doesn't appear to be any bloat at all, probably not. I just finished setting everything up. Maybe I will find a program to measure power use over a few hours to see if it's normal and post it here?

henpod fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 11, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Tiger Lake-H and 3050/3050Ti announced this morning. The expected sleu of new laptop models as well.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

henpod posted:

Alright, I won't worry about it then :). I was going to do a fresh install of windows, but seeing that this is a new laptop and there doesn't appear to be any bloat at all, probably not. I just finished setting everything up. Maybe I will find a program to measure power use over a few hours to see if it's normal and post it here?

https://www.passmark.com/products/batmon/

i use this on my laptops

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Thank you :)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Any suggestions for a solid tbolt 4 eGPU enclosure? Don't need super max performance, I'll probably stick an RTX3070 or thereabouts in it. Maybe just an RTX3060ti class.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

ilkhan posted:

Tiger Lake-H and 3050/3050Ti announced this morning. The expected sleu of new laptop models as well.

Reviews still pending but I think that asus m16 with a 3070 will be my next laptop

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ilkhan posted:

I might end up going with something like tiger lake/3060 provided it's not vaporware like most of the Ryzen based laptops that I've considered.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I had the HP Envy a week or two ago and ended up getting this instead:

https://www.costco.ca/hp-omen-15-en0010ca-gaming-laptop,-amd-ryzen-7-4800h.product.100673520.html

So far, so good, I probably have low standards but so far I've been happily playing Doom Eternal at 60fps on ultra settings and it's been a hell of a lot nicer than 2016 was to play on PS4, Serious Sam 4 has been holding 50-60 fps on average with a lot of particle effects and poo poo flying around on High-Ultra settings, so I'm pretty impressed so far.

Is the fact that it's running the 1660ti vs one of the newer 20 or 30 series gpus going to be a huge deal in the coming years? From what I could gather, real-world performance differences between the 1660 and 2060 is fairly minimal, as the latter wouldn't really be able to take advantage of the raytracing capabilities in any meaningful way anyways, unless there's something I'm not considering.

The only other major caveat appears to be the fact that the model I have has a 60hz screen, where 144hz appears to be the norm? Not sure how much difference that makes. I'm used to 30fps at this point, so getting 60 has been a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
I think I'm pretty set on getting a Yoga 9i which will be my main computer for study, entertainment, drawing and general creative projects for the next few years (no heavy video or 3d editing though, and probably mainly 2d indie games). I'm just not sure whether to go for FHD or UHD and i5 or i7. I'm ok to spend the money, probably my main concern is whether there's much of a benefit to either upgrade. I'm sure FHD would be fine for a 14" screen, and from what I can tell there's not a huge difference between i5 & i7 at the moment (except maybe in fairly specific tasks?). That said I'm not too worried about the cost, I'm more concerned about the impact on battery life really, anyone have any opinions or anecdotes that could help sway my decision making?