Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

this is actually what's in my arteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
From a few pages back, but if you want a smart rice cooker and don't want to spring for a Zoji, I have been very happy with my Cuckoo.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Started feeling like my stainless steel pan wasn't cooking properly and it had started to wobble so took this jank picture. How did it end up so bad? I've never put it in cold.water and always let it cool down off the heat, until I can basically touch the bottom, before cleaning. The only time cooler liquid has been put it in when it's hot is making a pan sauce, but I've never seen anyone saying making a pan sauce fucks your pan up. I'm pretty sure it wasn't this bad when I bought it.

It was this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01D34KN56?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Not exactly premium but I only bought it in September 2020. Anyone tried to reshape a pan by heating it and hitting it with a rubber mallet like some guides suggest? Or just cut my losses and get a new one?

Edit: oh, there's a bunch of recent reviews saying it doesn't fit flat on their hob even after heating it once. Maybe I got scammed.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 5, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

some pans will warp permanently if the construction isn't great, unfortunately, and there's no real way to tell what'll happen just by looking

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Give it a 1 star review and you are likely to get a free pan as a bribe to take down your review.

Then you can leave the 1 star review up because gently caress those guys

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Started feeling like my stainless steel pan wasn't cooking properly and it had started to wobble so took this jank picture. How did it end up so bad? I've never put it in cold.water and always let it cool down off the heat, until I can basically touch the bottom, before cleaning. The only time cooler liquid has been put it in when it's hot is making a pan sauce, but I've never seen anyone saying making a pan sauce fucks your pan up. I'm pretty sure it wasn't this bad when I bought it.

It was this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01D34KN56?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Not exactly premium but I only bought it in September 2020. Anyone tried to reshape a pan by heating it and hitting it with a rubber mallet like some guides suggest? Or just cut my losses and get a new one?

Edit: oh, there's a bunch of recent reviews saying it doesn't fit flat on their hob even after heating it once. Maybe I got scammed.

You’ll never get it flat again. You can get it flat once, but as soon as you use it again it’ll start warping.

Quality is really important in clad stainless steel pans, since you have a couple dissimilar metals sandwiched around each other they already want to stretch differently when heated, and without precise construction and material selection then it’s only a matter of time before the cyclic mismatch in expansion and contraction becomes obvious by warping.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also you may have gotten a counterfeit. there's no way to buy from amazon and be guaranteed not a counterfeit

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Got an email today about All-Clad's new graphite-core fully clad stainless pan. Anyone know anything about this kind of pan? Marketing gimmick or actually useful?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Got an email today about All-Clad's new graphite-core fully clad stainless pan. Anyone know anything about this kind of pan? Marketing gimmick or actually useful?

i mean lots about all-clad is a marketing gimmick tbqh. but the idea is sound and i'm pretty interested in seeing some real-world reviews.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Alright, looks like I'm shopping for a pan again - hopefully off Amazon. Buying pans online is the absolute worst because almost everywhere STILL only gives the measurement for the opening and nothing on the base diameter, so you just got to hope for the best I guess :shrug:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

How well does nonstick cookware recycle? I've just replaced a small saucepan, but don't know if stuff with nonstick coating is okay to toss in with my scrap metal recycling, or if it needs to go in the trash. Fwiw it also has a plastic-covered handle and an exterior coating (I think some sort of thick enamel paint, maybe?) that is chipping off which I'm also unsure about.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That depends on your local processors but it's very low risk to recycle. If they can't handle it, nbd because they can easily separate it. Small, flimsy things which can gum up the machines are way worse to "fingers crossed recycle"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have a bunch of suet left over from a recipe my gf wanted to make. I also recently bought a wok. Would it be a terrible idea to want to use up this suet by seasoning the wok with it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Midniter posted:

The idea makes sense, and it seems neat, I’d guess you won’t see a huge meaningful improvement over their copper or aluminum core pans.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chemmy posted:

The idea makes sense, and it seems neat, I’d guess you won’t see a huge meaningful improvement over their copper or aluminum core pans.

Basically it's just going to spread and even out the heat a little quicker? I doubt if it's going to be amazingly better because most of the mass of the pan is still stainless steel.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I thought I might as well submit a warranty claim for my pan, they're sending me a new one but it annoyed me because they wanted a list of all the utensils I've used on it... also this:

quote:

In accordance with our Care Instructions we do advise to use moderate to low heat. Excessive heat will spoil the appearance of the pan by causing discolouration to the surface or deformation of the base.

What precious stainless steel pan can't tolerate a medium high heat?? It's not even a powerful hob ffs

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
When they say the pan can't tolerate heat, there is indeed an absolute limit to how much heat the pan can handle before it degrades, but the real problem is simply heating too rapidly, resulting in a temperature gradient. As long as the pan is all the same heat, it can withstand extreme temperatures without warping. What you need is to gradually heat it up and have a good, evenly diffused burner. Preheating the pan in the oven is also a good way to achieve this.

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 14, 2021

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's an electric burner and takes about 10 minutes to boil a medium amount of water if I leave it on 4 out of 6 on the hob, the setting I use for searing.

SuicideDrink
Mar 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have recommendations for an outdoor, tabletop wok burner? It was surprisingly difficult to find an outdoor table in the first place, but the one I got is 32" high. I was thinking about getting this GasOne, but some of the reviews stated the propane connector is very suspect, and while it's probably fine, 15k BTUs seems less :chef: than something like a kahuna. But the Kahuna seems a bit too tall for the table I got and, from seriouseat's review, is a bit too short for sitting on the ground (or in my case, the deck). Thanks!

SuicideDrink
Mar 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nevermind, almost got there. I ended up going with this outdoor double burner

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not sure if it means they'll be introducing a Mk. 5 soon or something, but Thermapen Mk. 4 are currently on sale at thermoworks.com for $69, all colors. I've never seen them go so cheap so if you've been wanting one but haven't been able to justify the C-note, now's the time to pull the trigger.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Not sure if it means they'll be introducing a Mk. 5 soon or something, but Thermapen Mk. 4 are currently on sale at thermoworks.com for $69, all colors. I've never seen them go so cheap so if you've been wanting one but haven't been able to justify the C-note, now's the time to pull the trigger.

Seconded. Even if they're about to roll out a new version, I dunno what they could add to it that would make one regret buying the Mk. 4 for cheap.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arcsech posted:

Seconded. Even if they're about to roll out a new version, I dunno what they could add to it that would make one regret buying the Mk. 4 for cheap.

there’s rumors the new one is also a vibrator

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Is the thermapen magnetic? I like my javelin cause I can just stick it on the fridge when I'm not using it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Ultra Carp

fart simpson posted:

there’s rumors the new one is also a vibrator

:borked:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

horchata posted:

Is the thermapen magnetic? I like my javelin cause I can just stick it on the fridge when I'm not using it.

Sadly it's not. Won't surprise me if that's what they'll include on the MK5.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I couldn't justify the price of a ThermoPen last time, so I bought a ThermoPop from them instead. it was like $30 and has a magnet.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Do appliances count as equipment? We need to replace a gas range and have an option to go dual fuel. I've says electric only for oven, but that comes at increased cost. I don't cook, but my wife is increasingly picking it up so I'm trying to convince her to not get gas for the oven. For the experienced chefs, how bad (or difficult for me) is a gas oven compared to electric?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Ultra Carp
Gas ovens are fine. Mine doesn't go below 275, but that's specific to the model.

There are environmental concerns with gas, but gas ovens can be just as good as electric

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a dual fuel oven (gas stovetop) and I really like it for how low it can go in temp and for the convection roast setting.

Also when I had a gas leak and the city turned off and LOTTO'd my gas line, I could still cook in the oven so that was a nice save.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
definitely go dual fuel if you can swing it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’ve heard gas ovens are better for baking as they leave a little more moisture in the hot air.

Don’t know if that’s true at all.

That said my electric has a 100F proof setting that I don’t think gas could do.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Murgos posted:

I’ve heard gas ovens are better for baking as they leave a little more moisture in the hot air.

Don’t know if that’s true at all.

That said my electric has a 100F proof setting that I don’t think gas could do.

Likewise they're worse for baking since it's harder to control browning.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m not a pro baker (my wife has celiac) but everything I read said dual fuel was better for baking.

I went single fuel because my range wasn’t available with the options I wanted in dual.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Fwiw a gas oven with the light on gets up to around 80-90*F if you want some help proofing bread.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Air fryers: I have been using a cheap, basic one for several months now. I wanna get a nice one - the food I cook has been cheap, healthy, and really drat good.

Are there any brands to avoid? Are all the fancy digital controls and thermometer controls of some air fryers actually worth anything?

I often cook protein then veggies one after another. Are the dual pot air fryers any good?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I dropped my Thermapen, and now the "close to turn off" feature doesn't work.

Has anyone run into this, or any suggestions to try to fix it? I'm not thrilled about having to buy a new one after an incident that, frankly, I feel like it should be able to handle.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you ate my cat posted:

I dropped my Thermapen, and now the "close to turn off" feature doesn't work.

Has anyone run into this, or any suggestions to try to fix it? I'm not thrilled about having to buy a new one after an incident that, frankly, I feel like it should be able to handle.

Contact support, they'll probably agree and replace it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Best single burner, 120v induction hot plate under $300? Preferred something with some brains (and a probe?) for hotpot and fry oil temperature control.

Duxtop seems popular but that could just be good marketing.

This is for cooking on the patio. I'm going to do an Ooni 16 for pizza and broiling veggies, induction for everything else. I'm looking forward to smokey sears and messy frying outside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I like my Duxtop a lot, I use it instead of my electric stovetop