Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best shoot-'em-up weapon?
Bullets
Laser
Wide
Flamethrower
Spinny Things
Bombs
View Results

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The world needs to know what the best shoot-'em-up weapon selection is. You don't want to start playing a shooter and pick the wrong weapon! Your options (and to help you categorize what the weapon you're thinking of is):

• Bullets - What you always start with. Tiny specks that fly out. At higher power levels they may spread or fire behind you. The choice of boring people.
  • Laser - Anything that shoots a stream of concentrated death. Typically comes in blue. May look kind of like lightning depending on the game.
  • Wide - Anything that fires a wide beam in front of your ship. Often green, but known to come in a variety of colors.
  • Flamethrower - Similar to the laser, but only goes a short distance and doesn't have breaks in the shot. Always red or orange because it wouldn't be a flamethrower if it wasn't.
  • Spinny Things - Short ranged attack that surrounds you. Might be rocks, swords, or metal balls. They might fire outward in a loop, but the important thing is that they start out spinning around you.
  • Bombs - Explode. Limited in quantity and if you use one it usually means you either screwed up or just put the game in and didn't remember which button was fire for that game.

Well, which laser is best. The laser or one of the worse options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
Flamethrower, duh

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

homing. reported for false or misleading poll, op

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Metal Slug heavy machine gun. Perfect mix of damage, speed and bigger looking bullets. As far as limited ammo goes it feels like just the right amount to stay “balanced” too. Always a bummer dying when you have one equipped.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It's that one from Tyrian that shoots bananas OP

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Toothpaste laser is up there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Flannelette posted:

Toothpaste laser is up there.

i knew there had to be more fans of plaque attack

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
It's always the wide beam because nothing can slip through it like they can with gaps in projectile streams and they vomit damage when trained on a single target anyway.

swims posted:

Metal Slug heavy machine gun. Perfect mix of damage, speed and bigger looking bullets. As far as limited ammo goes it feels like just the right amount to stay “balanced” too. Always a bummer dying when you have one equipped.
In Metal Slug the thing you want is the flame shot cause it just deletes everything in the direction you point it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The shotgun is incredible but the flameshot has best death animations. Drop shot is worst

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vCY3I5yxo&t=128s
HOMING LASER

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The bendy laser from Raiden, but wide if that's not available.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The shotgun from FEAR - only the first one though, not the ones from the sequels. Makes a sound like God clearing his throat and makes people fly back ridiculous distances.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I've been a fan of the "green" weapon option in Toaplan games lately.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Well, which laser is best. The laser or one of the worse options?
Did you intentionally leave out “homing” as an option because the dps is usually utter garbage?

I’m a fan of spinny things but just because they look neat as opposed to being that useful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Did you intentionally leave out “homing” as an option because the dps is usually utter garbage?

I’m a fan of spinny things but just because they look neat as opposed to being that useful.

I though of it, then when making my post it fell out of my head. Obviously that makes it a bad shoot-'em-up weapon.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Also the best laser is the death ray from raptor, but probably just because of nostalgia (and my childhood astonishment at seeing a video game laser that was actually hitscan)

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I've been thinking and yes the purple toothpaste laser at full power in Raiden 2 is great it might be beaten by the full power spread shot machine gun when you put your ship right in front the boss and kill it in 5 seconds.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

my heart says laser but my brain says wide

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

are you a shmup fox or a hedgehog? is your true challenge a screen filling boss or wave upon wave of screen filling popcorn enemies?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

A balanced diet is the healthiest.

[Edit] actually now I’m having vague memories of reading a preview for a game in the mid-2000s which was just fights against single boss-sized enemies. The gimmick was that it was two-player, but with one player controlling the “boss”, and roles switching each stage. Was this a real thing or am I hallucinating?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 13, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm going to Nth the votes for the purple homing death beam from the Raiden games (was it called the Plasma beam in one of them?)

Sure its DPS was the lowest, but when it locked on to a high HP enemy, and you start moving around the bullets and the beam starts curling around and clearing out the chaff enemies while still doing consistent damage on the big enemy... :kiss:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Everyone that didn't say the spread lightning from Blazing Lasers is wrong

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Silhouette posted:

Everyone that didn't say the spread lightning from Blazing Lasers is wrong

The choice of a true connoisseur.
Runner-up goes to the fully-powered continuous laser from Tyrian, that thing just scythes through everything.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

PsyClops posted:

The choice of a true connoisseur.
Runner-up goes to the fully-powered continuous laser from Tyrian, that thing just scythes through everything.

Sure, if by Runner-up you mean uncontestable winner.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The best shoot-em-up weapon is the charge laser from Gradius III when you've got full rotating options and you just float dreamily through space while anything that gets close to you dies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

FishMcCool posted:

Sure, if by Runner-up you mean uncontestable winner.

Zica lasers are a complete trap, though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

wow that is a powerful giant robo....

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

THE BAR posted:

They trick you by mentioning it in the lore dumps too. The absolute regrets after I lost my legendary laser to it on my first playthrough....

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

THE BAR posted:

Only any good in sidekick form and even then, I take Vulcan sidekicks if I have the power for them.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

At least with Vulcans you don't have to feel bad for not using the charged shot.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
There are other sidekicks than Plasma Storm?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I thought the point of zica lasers was that although they’re not as powerful as continuous, they don’t need the gravitron generator to work properly at full power?

All the weird goofy weapons in Tyrian are very charming but so many just aren’t useful or are too expensive/underpowered. Was there ever a point to the thing where you could launch a front docking sidekick and have it slowly return to your ship?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The worst guns, like the front cannon thing you mention, were all from the 2000 update.

That's also where the worst episodes came from, like the finale that had, what, four levels?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nah, the goofy weapons were from the 2.0 update that added the 4th episode that had a ton of levels and stopped caring about having a coherent plot halfway through. The 2000 version was the one that added the 5th episode, it had new weapons and ships too but they’re so lacklustre i don’t remember what they are either.

I’m not big on Japanese shooters but is there a weapon type similar to the mega cannon? It fires projectiles that travel through enemies, so they do more damage to big things than small ones. Neat idea but in typical Tyrian fashion it’s woefully underpowered.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Nah, the goofy weapons were from the 2.0 update that added the 4th episode that had a ton of levels and stopped caring about having a coherent plot halfway through. The 2000 version was the one that added the 5th episode, it had new weapons and ships too but they’re so lacklustre i don’t remember what they are either.

Ah, I didn't play any updates to Tyrian until the 2K version dropped, so for me it went from Episode 3 being the end to complete cacophany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Crazy Achmed posted:

Was there ever a point to the thing where you could launch a front docking sidekick and have it slowly return to your ship?

IIRC, it's best used like a Force in R-Type: launch the thing into a boss and keep on firing. Doesn't work worth a drat, but I'm pretty sure that's the idea.
I love Tyrian but there's just so many useless weapons.